Author Topic: Edwards: Americans should sacrifice their SUVs  (Read 3180 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Edwards: Americans should sacrifice their SUVs
« on: August 29, 2007, 07:05:04 AM »
http://www.wlos.com/template/inews_wire/wires.regional.nc/22b7034c-www.wlos.com.shtml

Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards told a labor group he would ask Americans to make a big sacrifice: their sport utility vehicles.The former North Carolina senator told a forum by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers in Lake Buena Vista, Florida, yesterday he thinks Americans are willing to sacrifice.Edwards says Americans should be asked to drive more fuel efficient vehicles. He says he would ask them to give up SUVs. Edwards got a standing ovation when he said weapons and equipment used by America's military needs to be made in the United States. He says tanks and ammunition for M16 rifles are being made in other countries.He says jobs that provide equipment for America's defense need to be made in the United States.

Unless this SOB is going to give up his huge house..private jets...and all his toys...then he should shut the hell up. While a hypocritical closeted gay "family values" repub goes around trying to solicite free blow jobs..this idiot trys to do the same kind of thing with global warming. Neither guy has a leg to stand on. If he's prepared to tell us to give up an element of our way of life he better be prepared to lead the way. Carbon offsets are BS so thats no way to get around his argument either.
L

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Edwards: Americans should sacrifice their SUVs
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 07:55:10 AM »
Driving SUVs is not the problem.  Driving vehicles that run on gasoline is the problem

We have the technology to manufacture vehicles that do not run on gasoline, but the will to make these cars & trucks is simply not there.  The federal government has not raised fuel economy standards in 25 years!  Our economy is so heavily invested in oil and the inertia against a change is so strong that we would rather play around with ethanol/gas blends, and hybrids (both of which still require oil) than make a clean brake to a real alternative.  People (especially the rich) are not going to give up their SUVs.

Edwards needs to get real.  His campaign is over anyway.  :-[

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 08:51:21 AM »
If he said that..no big deal. I want to get off oil so the damm rags can go back to farming dirt and maybe they'd have to be nicer to their own people.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 09:08:04 AM »
http://www.wlos.com/template/inews_wire/wires.regional.nc/22b7034c-www.wlos.com.shtml

Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards told a labor group he would ask Americans to make a big sacrifice: their sport utility vehicles.The former North Carolina senator told a forum by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers in Lake Buena Vista, Florida, yesterday he thinks Americans are willing to sacrifice.Edwards says Americans should be asked to drive more fuel efficient vehicles. He says he would ask them to give up SUVs. Edwards got a standing ovation when he said weapons and equipment used by America's military needs to be made in the United States. He says tanks and ammunition for M16 rifles are being made in other countries.He says jobs that provide equipment for America's defense need to be made in the United States.

Unless this SOB is going to give up his huge house..private jets...and all his toys...then he should shut the hell up. While a hypocritical closeted gay "family values" repub goes around trying to solicite free blow jobs..this idiot trys to do the same kind of thing with global warming. Neither guy has a leg to stand on. If he's prepared to tell us to give up an element of our way of life he better be prepared to lead the way. Carbon offsets are BS so thats no way to get around his argument either.

No no.  Does any person advocating the slightest group behavioral adjustment benefitting our country as a whole have to surrender all his earthly goods and heat his home with pleasant thoughts and flatulence?

Addressing the issue is half the battle b/c he has to wade through credibility challenges from the vested energy interests, their political defenders and grass roots people like you.

Let's get something straight, when it comes to global warming, we are all hypocrites.  The point to raising awareness is to get some sort of collective, incremental, step towards alleviating the problem.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 09:16:33 AM »
Driving SUVs is not the problem.  Driving vehicles that run on gasoline is the problem

We have the technology to manufacture vehicles that do not run on gasoline, but the will to make these cars & trucks is simply not there.  The federal government has not raised fuel economy standards in 25 years!  Our economy is so heavily invested in oil and the inertia against a change is so strong that we would rather play around with ethanol/gas blends, and hybrids (both of which still require oil) than make a clean brake to a real alternative.  People (especially the rich) are not going to give up their SUVs.

Edwards needs to get real.  His campaign is over anyway.  :-[

You're slightly incorrect.

Getting the public to drive more efficient cars would be a big change.

Look at Japan, a country with no own oil resources, but with high standard of living.

Efficient cars, high level of public transportation. For over 30 years they've done this.

The result?

They survive. And then some.

Do you honestly think that Japan would have financial power they have today if they were driving unefficient vehicles? Had a public transportation system that was a joke?

As empty as paradise

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 09:29:15 AM »
I disagree to some extent...having been to Japan...u can't fit big cars. Plus they view big cars as a waste of space...I think its a cultural thing. Decker...Edwards is full of shit...Gore is full of shit as well. Half the crap he says is BS, his science is faulty. I believe we have global warming..why and how..I'm not sure. I think some parts of it are over blown and others are truly caused by man. Yet this issue has been hijacked by both sides to make political hay.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 09:38:40 AM »
I disagree to some extent...having been to Japan...u can't fit big cars. Plus they view big cars as a waste of space...I think its a cultural thing. Decker...Edwards is full of shit...Gore is full of shit as well. Half the crap he says is BS, his science is faulty. I believe we have global warming..why and how..I'm not sure. I think some parts of it are over blown and others are truly caused by man. Yet this issue has been hijacked by both sides to make political hay.
Gore is pretty much dead on with his contentions and his science.  The best efforts to mischaracterize his work and flat out lie about his statements are done religiously by the liberal media.

Is Edwards wrong in his contention that "Americans should be asked to drive more fuel efficient vehicles" and that SUVs are part of the problem?

It's not that global warming is caused by man b/c it is not.  But human industrial activity is exacerbating the problem.  Meaning that human industrial enterprises are throwing fuel on the global warming fire.

If you are driving toward a brick wall without brakes, you don't step on the gas.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 11:07:31 AM »
Gore and some of his contentions are or have been debated and proved false or mischaracterized by guy who understand this stuff better then I do. But enough...we're not helping the problem. I don't believ the problem will go away if I blame Gore. But it doesn't help to blame evil republicans either. Solve the problem, get off oil. Allow forest cutting to encourage new growth. Tell Detroit if they are going to build tanks they better get 50 MPG. Make tires that last for 100,000 miles....It can be done.
L

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 11:12:31 AM »

There's no doubt about it, if Edwards isn't willing and able to sacrifice all his resource wasting vehicles then he's just another hypocritical blowhard.

Although IMO the Craig comparison doesn't really work. Craig himself is a homosexual yet all his political beliefs are based on despising homosexuals and in fact stopping them from having the same freedoms heterosexuals enjoy. To me there's no comparison. Craig and his ilk are the worst kind of hypocrites.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 11:21:44 AM »
Sure but global warming is more important...and Edwards knows that what he's saying will get nowhere.
L

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 11:37:07 AM »
Unless this SOB is going to give up his huge house..private jets...and all his toys...then he should shut the hell up.

This part of your post got me interested...

What kind of environmentally hostile toys does he have?

And how many private jets does he own?`
As empty as paradise

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 12:08:33 PM »
Gore and some of his contentions are or have been debated and proved false or mischaracterized by guy who understand this stuff better then I do. But enough...we're not helping the problem. I don't believ the problem will go away if I blame Gore. But it doesn't help to blame evil republicans either. Solve the problem, get off oil. Allow forest cutting to encourage new growth. Tell Detroit if they are going to build tanks they better get 50 MPG. Make tires that last for 100,000 miles....It can be done.
We disagree on the Gore contention. 

This global warming issue is very important.  We should emphasize that.  I do agree with your latter contention re getting off oil.  We just have to tell the government to invest in some earnest alternative fuel R&D.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 12:20:25 PM »
How long did it take Brazil....we have plenty of damm corn....they need to make this a damm priority.

Far be it from me to make a blanket statement without facts..... John Edwards, the Democratic former senator from North Carolina, paid more than $430,000 in the first six months of this year for the use of a jet owned by Fred Baron, his finance chairman, a prominent trial lawyer. Ok he rented it. ;DMr. Edwards's rank hypocrisy is boundless. While jointly spreading fear about global warming and fossil-fuel-related greenhouse gases, he and his wife, Elizabeth, built a 28,000 square-foot house in North Carolina, which he claims to be "carbon neutral" but whose utility bills he and his campaign have refused to share with the public.There's the nearly $500,000 he pocketed as a 15-month consultant to the Fortress Investment Group, a New York-based firm with $30 billion in assets. Fortress's hedge funds are incorporated in the Cayman Islands, enabling investors to delay or avoid paying U.S. taxes — a policy Mr. Edwards has vehemently condemned. Mr. Edwards claims he signed up with Fortress to learn the relationship between capital and poverty, but he says he did not know that Fortress had greatly expanded its subprime-mortgage operations while he was a consultant and investor. Moreover, during his Katrina-related New Orleans speech in which he formally announced his candidacy for president, Mr. Edwards neglected to mention that a Fortress subsidiary had pursued efforts to hold a 67-year-old New Orleans resident in default on her subprime mortgage in October 2005, two months after Hurricane Katrina flooded her out of her house.There's his widely scorned $400 haircuts, a couple of which were originally charged to his current presidential campaign before they became public. (During the 2004 general-election campaign, Mr. Edwards paid up to $1,250 for his haircuts, but a spokeswoman reminded The Washington Times that $1,100 of that amount was spent flying his hair stylist from Beverly Hills to Atlanta and paying for his travel time and hotel expenses — a detail that no doubt resonates throughout middle America.)
There's his famous $55,000 speech on poverty — it was titled "Poverty, the Great Moral Issue Facing America" — to a crowd of 1,787 at the taxpayer-subsidized University of California at Davis. His spokeswoman pointed out that part of that fee went to the booking agent. She also noted that former president Bill Clinton charged $100,000 for a UC-Davis speech, although she insisted that she wasn't comparing a two-term president with a one-term senator, who, by the way, would not have won re-election.

Look, they all do it..but he's an idiot. Don't make a speech condemming my behaivior if you're worse then me.

L

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 05:58:24 PM »
The Breck Girl can go fuck himself.

Now excuse me while I keep my SUV, eat red meat, and crank the AC in my big ass house.  ;D

Alex23

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 06:05:54 PM »

Exactly.

I run my truck on Biodiesel b1000.

I make 12-15MPG.

I'm not giving away anything.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 03:25:12 AM »
I don't think Edwards is suggesting people should give away anything.

Most likely he's talking about raising the tax on the gas, and giving tax exempts for efficient cars/cars on alternative fuel sources.

Shit like that.

So those who wants to keep on driving polluting cars can do that, but they will have to pay a big prize for it.

Those who wants to make adjustments towards less pollution, will be rewarded.

That's old school environmentalist capitalism.
As empty as paradise

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 03:43:46 AM »
I don't think Edwards is suggesting people should give away anything.

Most likely he's talking about raising the tax on the gas, and giving tax exempts for efficient cars/cars on alternative fuel sources.

Shit like that.

So those who wants to keep on driving polluting cars can do that, but they will have to pay a big prize for it.

If that's what he meant then that's what he should have said.

But he didn't.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 06:37:40 AM »
I'm paying enough on gas..maybe worthless trial lawyers like him, who sue for ridiculous sums can pick up the tab for the rest of us.
L

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 06:48:07 AM »

i put 4,000 miles on my car last year.. but someone with an economy car puts 30,000 on theirs -that means they're puttin out way more pollution then i do, but they get a reward? while i get punished because i have an suv?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 06:55:37 AM »
Exactly....look I'm all for reducing polution...but Detroit needs to stand up and help out as well. Will it hurt Edwards or any of these people to tax gas more..hell no. It hurts us, truckers etc.....
L

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 07:19:21 AM »
i put 4,000 miles on my car last year.. but someone with an economy car puts 30,000 on theirs -that means they're puttin out way more pollution then i do, but they get a reward? while i get punished because i have an suv?

Sure that someone should get an reward. If that person is driving a car which is less polluting.

If you want to pollute, you got to contribute.

There are countries and cities where certain car types and fuels are excempt from tax, because they're considered less damaging on the environment.

The amount of carbonmonoxide that stems from railway traffic is literally 1/1000th in comparison to that stemming from the car traffic.

Ergo: Tax gas heavy, and steer that money into enormous investments in the intercity public transportation system. This would not only rid USA of oil dependency, but also create job opportunities, and give a tremendous boost to the internal economy.

TGV is already a reality in fcuking France and UK. Japan has had Shinkanzen for 30 years. I'm sure USA can do it better. ;D

Edwards has balls for actually talking about changing the over-the-hill US car industry. I'll give him that.

The other candidates, especially Clinton and Romney, avoids taking any kind of stance.

Politics is about will. To do something. Not about fitting in, and smiling to the crowd.

As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 07:22:35 AM »
Exactly....look I'm all for reducing polution...but Detroit needs to stand up and help out as well. Will it hurt Edwards or any of these people to tax gas more..hell no. It hurts us, truckers etc.....

Well, as I see it, high tax on gas is the only way you'll get Detroit to start building good alternatives.

The tax on gas should all go back to the alternative. Eg public transportation, tax deductions on certain car types, et al. Dollar for dollar. Cent for cent.

As empty as paradise

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 07:55:58 AM »
so someone commuting to the office in a hybrid gets a reward, while the guy using his pickup to get to the construction site gets punished? doesn't sound fair to me

most people that have an economy car -have one because they drive so much.. a lot of people with suv's, like myself, dont drive much so we dont care.. and if you make gas cheaper for them, guess what -they'll just drive more.

so i drive my suv around while a guy in an economy car ends up using more gas and puts out more pollution then me.. but just because of the car he drives -hes somehow he gets the reward?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 09:02:11 AM »
so someone commuting to the office in a hybrid gets a reward, while the guy using his pickup to get to the construction site gets punished? doesn't sound fair to me

Sounds fair to me. Because the hybrid is less polluting.

most people that have an economy car -have one because they drive so much.. a lot of people with suv's, like myself, dont drive much so we dont care.. and if you make gas cheaper for them, guess what -they'll just drive more.

The gas could get a heavy tax. But those chosing certain car types could get free parking, get a pass from congestion pricing.

so i drive my suv around while a guy in an economy car ends up using more gas and puts out more pollution then me.. but just because of the car he drives -hes somehow he gets the reward?

Yes. And no. His car is less polluting. If you are willing to pay for it, you can still drive a thirsty car, but you will be doing some redeeming for the pollution you're doing.

No, as in he will pay the same price per gallon as you of course. But he won't be hurting as bad, since his car is more efficient.

The tax reductions and price subsidizations would only be in effect for less polluting cars, with less CO waste, eg.

Hey, check this btw:
http://news.monstersandcritics.com/usa/news/article_1305148.php/Ignore_car_fee_critics_London_mayor_tells_NYC
As empty as paradise

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 09:04:30 AM »
I'm taxed enough...cut a few programs.
L