Author Topic: Painting a room  (Read 2684 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Painting a room
« on: August 31, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
Walls and trim same color?  One lighter than the other?    :-\

It's going to be in the tan family. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: Painting a room
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 08:48:05 AM »
darker wall, lighter trim?  ???

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 08:55:31 AM »

Yes.

Remember... the better the preperation, the better the end result.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 08:58:14 AM »
Yes.

Remember... the better the preperation, the better the end result.

you mean like cutting in the corners and stuff?  I cleaned the walls last weekend. 

I'm going to do the windows and trim last I think.  I should probably do them first?  But I am sick of the walls so if I do the trim first I will have to look at the walls longer because I HATE painting the windows.

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 09:09:51 AM »
you mean like cutting in the corners and stuff?  I cleaned the walls last weekend. 

I'm going to do the windows and trim last I think.  I should probably do them first?  But I am sick of the walls so if I do the trim first I will have to look at the walls longer because I HATE painting the windows.

I'm guessing by trim you mean the skirting boards? Anyway do the trim and windows first and then the walls.

And don't use a cheap brush for painting the trim and windows or you'll spend most of your time picking bristles from the paintwork.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 09:23:02 AM »
And don't use a cheap brush for painting the trim and windows or you'll spend most of your time picking bristles from the paintwork.

I concur, fossilised paint bristles in your paintwork is fucking dire.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 09:59:59 AM »
Yes if residential, but the other way if it's commercial property...JMO

I'm guessing by trim you mean the skirting boards? Anyway do the trim and windows first and then the walls.

Agree w/both statements.  Also paint in the corners (w/your brush) where the walls meet at this time (before rolling the walls).
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 10:15:01 AM »
Yes trim I mean the windows, crown moldings, door frames, baseboard molding   :P

My doors and windows have a lot of multilayered moldings.    >:(  I wish people would not paint that kind of trim and leave it wood!!! 

So I have to do the trim first. dammnit   >:(  I have more trim than walls. 

If I do the baseboards the color of the trim do I have to do the crown molding at the ceiling the same color, or can make that the color of the walls?  I will probably trim it in. 
>:(

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 10:22:33 AM »
white ceiling...trim lighter than wall coat..or go with white...

it's always best to do your cutting in first...or you can paint your walls...tape them and then do your trim.
footloose and fancy free

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 10:27:30 AM »
white ceiling.    I went with the tan/brown family because I need to hide dirt and dog slobber   ;D  I am having drains installed in the floor so I can just take a hose to the walls.    ::)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 10:28:09 AM »

If I do the baseboards the color of the trim do I have to do the crown molding at the ceiling the same color, or can make that the color of the walls?  I will probably trim it in.  [/color] >:(

Crown molding is not necessary but does make the room look nicer IMO.  The crown molding should be done the same color as the trim.

...tape them and then do your trim.

Forget the tape if you can have a steady enough hand to avoid using it.....no Iced Coffees beforehand!
R

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 10:47:41 AM »
Yes trim I mean the windows, crown moldings, door frames, baseboard molding   :P

My doors and windows have a lot of multilayered moldings.    >:(  I wish people would not paint that kind of trim and leave it wood!!! 

So I have to do the trim first. dammnit   >:(  I have more trim than walls. 

If I do the baseboards the color of the trim do I have to do the crown molding at the ceiling the same color, or can make that the color of the walls?  I will probably trim it in. 
>:(

Jesus, that's like trying to read double dutch  :-\

Do all your mouldings, trim, windows and doors the same colour. Personally I'd go for white or a cream colour for this.

You most definately have to paint the ceiling as it will look grubby compared to the rest of the room once you've finished. Again this should be white.

The walls I would paint a nice light tan colour.

Can't you do what goatboy would do and pay some Mexicans to do this work for you?  ;D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 10:58:53 AM »
Jesus, that's like trying to read double dutch  :-\

Do all your mouldings, trim, windows and doors the same colour. Personally I'd go for white or a cream colour for this.

You most definately have to paint the ceiling as it will look grubby compared to the rest of the room once you've finished. Again this should be white.

The walls I would paint a nice light tan colour.

Can't you do what goatboy would do and pay some Mexicans to do this work for you?  ;D

I bought one of them metal paint trimmer thingys you push up next to the thing you don't want to get painted instead of tape. I aint taping. 

I am not doing the ceiling either.  Maybe later, but for now just the walls.  (I know I should do the ceiling first, but I just want my walls done and if I do the ceiling I will not want to do the walls)

the windows have to be darker than white because the dogs are always in them, the room is white now and it is a bitch with them.  Remember, I have tall dogs so looking out the windows is nothing for them. 

Poop and lighter poop are the colours   ;D

actually Fudge Bar for the walls, Stone Brown for the trim. Behr paint.  I'll probably hate it.   :P

www.behr.com  (you can do a virtual room!) 

mexicans are afraid of my dogs.   ::)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 11:03:58 AM »
The walls are 250F-5, trim is 250F-4,  pick the virtual living room with the fireplace on the right, I think it's the third living room.  If anybody wants to see the basic look of it. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 11:10:09 AM »
Another question.........

The stairs going to the second floor have a painted wood banister facing the living room. So, do I paint them the same color as the trim, or wait til I decide what to do with that stairway and the upstairs hall and then paint the banister the color of that trim?  Or make that trim for the stairway and upstairs hall the same as the living room and pick a different wall color?

this shit is too complicated.  No wonder everyone goes with white.
  :P

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 11:21:44 AM »
 :D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 11:32:39 AM »
Another question.........

The stairs going to the second floor have a painted wood banister facing the living room. So, do I paint them the same color as the trim, or wait til I decide what to do with that stairway and the upstairs hall and then paint the banister the color of that trim?  Or make that trim for the stairway and upstairs hall the same as the living room and pick a different wall color?

this shit is too complicated.  No wonder everyone goes with white.
Paint the banister the same color as the trim in the living room...especially if you can see a lot of it from the living room area.  And also go w/a slicker paint for the trim so you can easily wash it off.

:D
Pretty!  It's possible you may want to go a shade lighter in the trim but what you picked out looks very nice  :) 

........you know the finished room looks great...forget about going a shade lighter!
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 11:34:25 AM »
OH, but Flower, if your room has a fireplace it should be the color of the trim and not the walls.

JMO!
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 12:21:42 PM »
I think I clicked for it to be the color of the trim, but it does look more like the walls in that pic?  I only have the ledge/shelf over the fireplace, the rest of mine is brick and the wall it is on juts out so the shelf goes around two other walls.

It always looks different than what you think it will when you get done.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 06:42:20 PM »
Walls and trim same color?  One lighter than the other?    :-\

It's going to be in the tan family. 

just do it all in teal    8)

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 07:50:16 PM »
Remember, Karate Kid,,,,Up,,,Down,,,Up ,,,Down,,,Breath In,,Breath out,,,dont breath too deeply or u might get high off the fumes.Good thing? ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 08:15:25 PM »
Use stiple roller for a nice texture and hides inperfections in the drywall or plaster.  Cut-in round the all the molding first then paint the walls.  If you are rolling and you paint the baseboards first you are almost certain to get overage on them, then you have to go back anyway to paint over, so just do it once..  Only use an angled brush.  You won't need to tape if you have a steady hand.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2007, 04:33:32 AM »
thanks for all the tips!!

I did a lot of the trim yesterday, I think only Briona may have a drop of paint on her.   :D    I made sure I got all the lower trim done and door frames so I don't have to worry about a dog touching it

STella- On the wood banister on the stairs, as it goes up the stairs the wall starts and the wood banister and rails actually goes up the stairs against that wall.  So I would have to do the whole banister/rails.  So what about the baseboard and crown molding up the stairs?  I couldn't do the opposite wall different could I?

I am probably going to do that at another time and leave it as is for now.  I am not looking forward to painting it or the rails.  Would be nice if I could get the rails out or actually remove the whole banister and paint it. Getting between it and the wall will be a bitch!! 

I have a pretty steady hand, but after a few hours of doing that crap work it's less about being steady and more about wanting to be done!!  :P

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 08:50:21 PM »
~Flower~, do the rooms you are painting have alot of light coming into them?
That's something you might want to take into consideration when you go with darker colours.
The amount of natural light that comes into the room might have a big impact on how the finished walls look.
w

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 06:42:32 AM »
thanks for all the tips!!

I did a lot of the trim yesterday, I think only Briona may have a drop of paint on her.   :D    I made sure I got all the lower trim done and door frames so I don't have to worry about a dog touching it

STella- On the wood banister on the stairs, as it goes up the stairs the wall starts and the wood banister and rails actually goes up the stairs against that wall.  So I would have to do the whole banister/rails.  So what about the baseboard and crown molding up the stairs?  I couldn't do the opposite wall different could I?

You mean the wall you can't see from the living room?  I'd need pics on this since I'm a little confused!

And you can do whatever you want, it's your house.  I know a man who is about 50 and he has an entryway painted dark blue w/sparkles in it!

I am probably going to do that at another time and leave it as is for now.

Yes.  I agree.  You should rest now :)
R