Author Topic: I Benched 107.5 kg in Competition 3-16-08  (Read 92403 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: My Quest to Bench 225 in Competition
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 06:39:42 AM »
Hedge gave you good advice for RAW training.

if you plan on using the shirt you need to use it every week from now up until the meet. you can do workout #1 as you have it already but your workout #2 needs to be shirted board presses with a WIDE grip. i'd do 2 board presses with about 20 pounds over your RAW max for starters. do 3 sets of 2 reps off the boards and try to add 5-10 pounds every shirt session until you hit a wall. then you know where you are at. as the meet gets closer you can do 1 board presses. DO NOT try to touch in the shirt until the meet, this is very important and i'll explain later.

does anyone at your gym who can help you have shirt experience?

what type of shirt do you plan on using? i like the Titan F6 single ply for beginners. you need to get a chest and arm measurement in order to get the right shirt. you want the shirt to be REALLY tight and snug. in my opinion you really need someone with experience to help you put it on and get it set correctly, if the shirt is on wrong you will dump the bar on every lift. you also need some good wrist wraps, i use the THP wraps from titan.

another thing is you MUST learn to arch and tuck your elbows with a wide grip. if you bench flat with a narrow grip you will not be able to use a shirt correctly. you can practice this arch on workout #1 for a few weeks before you try the shirt. this is very important if you want to lift in a shirt, your form must be perfect.

my training partners wife has the state record for bench in her weight class, i'll see if she will come here and give you some pointers.

you can learn the arch and elbow tuck at www.westside-barbell.com

i've been using single ply shirts for years and done several WABDL and APF meets with shirts. they are hard to get used to but once you find the groove you will be blasting up 225 before you know it. i have benched 590 pounds at 220 with a basic titan F6 in competition and drug free(clean).

i'll type some more later, i'm about to go into a meeting.

8)
bullshit.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 06:48:59 AM »
Best PL advice I ever heard in regards to benching with a shirts...

"LIVE IN THE SHIRT"

Get use to it, find the groove, learn to work in it like breathing...benching in a shirt feels completely different than raw. I'd follow the "always use the shirt" mindset.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 07:35:38 AM »
My plan is for her to add the shirt ten weeks out of the meet, and use it once a week from then all the way in to the meet, with a slightly different routine, throw out a few supplemental excersises, more hardcore competition benchpress, lower reps, et al.

You know the drill. ;D

Agree on the F6 single ply.

And very true about the grip. A wide grip is almost necessary to even be able to lift with a shirt.

BTW, you've seen Wade's latest clips?

You know your shit Hedge.

i just prefer people to have more practice before the meet. it took me about 4 months to get the groove down.

Hell yeah, Wade is the shit!

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 08:41:34 AM »
Re. the shirt, I do plan on getting one pretty soon.   I'll look into the one suggested here by overload and hedge, and also someone else sent me some info on another shirt.  I haven't really begun to do the research but I will.

I have a good friend who has alot of experience in powerlifting, particularly benching.  He actually had a small shirt that he tried to get on me earlier this year, but it was TOO small...I couldn't get it over my shoulders no matter how hard I tried.  It was painful to try to get it on, too.  I have no idea what size person would actually have fit into it because I am pretty small.  It looked like it would have fit a cabbage patch doll, maybe.   :-\

So as of now, I have never even had a shirt ON.  Anyway, when the time comes, he can help me get the shirt on properly, etc. 

I'll work on a wider grip in the meantime.  Is pinky fingers on the rings of the bar pretty much where I should be?  Or is that too wide for me?  Right now, I'm used to about 2 inches in from the ring, I think.

I gotta go back and read through some of this info again...it takes me a while to absorb and process all of it.  I'm sure I will have more questions.

Thanks!
 :)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 08:52:25 AM »

my training partners wife has the state record for bench in her weight class, i'll see if she will come here and give you some pointers.

you can learn the arch and elbow tuck at www.westside-barbell.com

P.S.  That would be awesome, I am looking for pointers from anyone with more experience than me.   8)

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

OH, and YES chest workouts will either be Tuesday/Saturday or Wednesday/Sunday.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2007, 09:13:54 AM »
Re. the shirt, I do plan on getting one pretty soon.   I'll look into the one suggested here by overload and hedge, and also someone else sent me some info on another shirt.  I haven't really begun to do the research but I will.

I have a good friend who has alot of experience in powerlifting, particularly benching.  He actually had a small shirt that he tried to get on me earlier this year, but it was TOO small...I couldn't get it over my shoulders no matter how hard I tried.  It was painful to try to get it on, too.  I have no idea what size person would actually have fit into it because I am pretty small.  It looked like it would have fit a cabbage patch doll, maybe.   :-\

So as of now, I have never even had a shirt ON.  Anyway, when the time comes, he can help me get the shirt on properly, etc. 

I'll work on a wider grip in the meantime.  Is pinky fingers on the rings of the bar pretty much where I should be?  Or is that too wide for me?  Right now, I'm used to about 2 inches in from the ring, I think.

I gotta go back and read through some of this info again...it takes me a while to absorb and process all of it.  I'm sure I will have more questions.

Thanks!

Your size, I would say ring finger or middle finger would be best.

A few smaller lifters use maximum width (index finger on the ring), but try ring finger for now.

My guess is that you should go with a size 32 or 34.

The shirt should feel like a strait jacket when wearing it, BTW.

When you're ready to order, call Titan and make your order, the number's here:

http://www.titansupport.com/index.htm
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2007, 09:24:06 AM »

Check with your friend what shirt and size it is. Remember to put baby powder (use the non parfumed kind) on the shoulders, and also to put thin plastic bags on your arms/elbows as slip ons, using the same kind of technique as this guy putting on the squat suit:

Then chances are, the shirt will slip on.

But I still think you should get a F6, a tight F6 of competition make.
As empty as paradise

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2007, 10:13:27 AM »
My plan is for her to add the shirt ten weeks out of the meet, and use it once a week from then all the way in to the meet, with a slightly different routine, throw out a few supplemental excersises, more hardcore competition benchpress, lower reps, et al.

You know the drill. ;D

Agree on the F6 single ply.

And very true about the grip. A wide grip is almost necessary to even be able to lift with a shirt.

BTW, you've seen Wade's latest clips?

Man, I'd have to add a new shirt further out than that.   Typically 16 weeks and just work on working the shirt with the boards down from a 4 board to a 1 board with a 2-3 week wave on the boards.   I'd drop the boards 2-3 weeks out and make sure I can get my opener (about 93% of my previous 1RM--up to 95% if I'm feeling really good).   If this is her first contest getting the opener is the single most important thing she has to do.   We don't want to see her bomb out because of the opener. 

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2007, 12:53:20 PM »
Check with your friend what shirt and size it is. Remember to put baby powder (use the non parfumed kind) on the shoulders, and also to put thin plastic bags on your arms/elbows as slip ons, using the same kind of technique as this guy putting on the squat suit:

Then chances are, the shirt will slip on.

But I still think you should get a F6, a tight F6 of competition make.

I just spoke with my buddy.  The bench shirt that I tried to borrow from him and failed to get on was an Inzer Blast, one ply poly. 
It was his friend's girlfriend's shirt from about 15 years ago, and it was SMALL. 

Given my experience trying to get that shirt on, and what I just saw with the squat suit in that video, it looks like it's gonna hurt.   :-[

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2007, 01:06:27 PM »

I just spoke with my buddy.  The bench shirt that I tried to borrow from him and failed to get on was an Inzer Blast, one ply poly. 
It was his friend's girlfriend's shirt from about 15 years ago, and it was SMALL. 

Given my experience trying to get that shirt on, and what I just saw with the squat suit in that video, it looks like it's gonna hurt.   :-[

That's what I figured. The Blast shirt is one of the oldest shirts, it came out 15-17 years ago or something like that.

So get on with finding proper size for a F6 single ply.

My suggestion is that you call the guys at Titan, give them your measurements, and ask for a size suggestion.

Then get back with that to this board, and we'll be able to help you (usually the manufacturers suggests a few sizes larger than what is optimal for competing).
As empty as paradise

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2007, 01:52:48 PM »
That's what I figured. The Blast shirt is one of the oldest shirts, it came out 15-17 years ago or something like that.

So get on with finding proper size for a F6 single ply.

My suggestion is that you call the guys at Titan, give them your measurements, and ask for a size suggestion.

Then get back with that to this board, and we'll be able to help you (usually the manufacturers suggests a few sizes larger than what is optimal for competing).

Yeah...titan will help you.

as you progress you can by a smaller shirt that is much tighter and it will help add more weight.

a couple pointers...

-Breathe to your stomach before lowering the bar.
-Simply control the bar on the way down, don't go too fast. let the bar follow the groove.
-Always have a lift off to keep your shoulders planted firm on the bench.
-Squeeze the bar with your hands as hard as you can and attempt to tear the bar in half on the way up. this actually helps quite a bit.
-Pause each rep at the bottom with the shirt on. have your spotter say "press" and "rack" just like in a meet.
-Focus on were the bar is going, don't just press, make sure it goes up in a straight line.
-Wear a small belt to keep the shirt from moving when you setup your arch.
-Always read the rulebook for the FED you are going to compete in, some are more technical.

Use these to help get the shirt on.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=205&pid=1760

You will also need these for a tight shirt unless the guy has some insane hand strength. you can buy these at lowes i think.

http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FITGLOVE

you will also need a singlet for the competition.

Good luck!

8)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2007, 03:22:53 PM »
Why do you guys have her training legs for a bench competition? She could let her legs and ass atrophy and lose 7 to 10 pounds easy. And don't give me the "but I am still a bodybuilder" bullshit. If you want to be the best at something, train to be the best. Worry about bodybuilding after the bench competition.
E

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2007, 05:08:44 PM »
Why do you guys have her training legs for a bench competition? She could let her legs and ass atrophy and lose 7 to 10 pounds easy. And don't give me the "but I am still a bodybuilder" bullshit. If you want to be the best at something, train to be the best. Worry about bodybuilding after the bench competition.
they may be trying to keep stress off her shoulders by not having the squat bar resting on them but she should at least do hacks and leg presses.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2007, 05:37:11 PM »
they may be trying to keep stress off her shoulders by not having the squat bar resting on them but she should at least do hacks and leg presses.
You think that hacks and presses will help her bench by that much?
E

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2007, 11:43:48 PM »
Yeah...titan will help you.

as you progress you can by a smaller shirt that is much tighter and it will help add more weight.

a couple pointers...

-Breathe to your stomach before lowering the bar.
-Simply control the bar on the way down, don't go too fast. let the bar follow the groove.
-Always have a lift off to keep your shoulders planted firm on the bench.
-Squeeze the bar with your hands as hard as you can and attempt to tear the bar in half on the way up. this actually helps quite a bit.
-Pause each rep at the bottom with the shirt on. have your spotter say "press" and "rack" just like in a meet.
-Focus on were the bar is going, don't just press, make sure it goes up in a straight line.
-Wear a small belt to keep the shirt from moving when you setup your arch.
-Always read the rulebook for the FED you are going to compete in, some are more technical.

Use these to help get the shirt on.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=205&pid=1760

You will also need these for a tight shirt unless the guy has some insane hand strength. you can buy these at lowes i think.

http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FITGLOVE

you will also need a singlet for the competition.

Good luck!

8)

Man those are some awesome pointers for the bench!!  Im gonna try and use some of that in my training also.  I feel they could help anybody trying to push more weight.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2007, 04:11:48 AM »

You are kidding, right?  I'm gonna assume that was a joke, since there are about 20 reasons why I would continue training legs, one of which is that a strong lower body is necessary for a strong bench.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2007, 04:21:58 AM »
super moderator bluto benches a lot, guys a machine

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2007, 04:22:43 AM »

You are kidding, right?  I'm gonna assume that was a joke, since there are about 20 reasons why I would continue training legs, one of which is that a strong lower body is necessary for a strong bench.

I have seen dudes in wheelchairs put up big numbers! Lets try to get you in a lower weight class, atrophy baby!
E

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2007, 05:09:36 AM »
Man you never stop training legs, thats half your body.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2007, 05:13:49 AM »
Man you never stop training legs, thats half your body.
Not the half that benchpresses!
E

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2007, 06:05:02 AM »

I seriously hope you are joking as this is a very stupid idea.

she could drop 7-10 pounds just by dropping water 2 days before the comp.

i have personally dropped 12 pounds in one day without using a diuretic.

why have her atrophy her legs that she has worked so hard to build? she has fantastic legs and i hope she takes your comment as a joke. she might as well go on a coke binge if she followed your thought process.

some of the biggest male and female benchers in the world have very impressive squat numbers.

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2007, 07:31:13 AM »

why have her atrophy her legs that she has worked so hard to build? she has fantastic legs and i hope she takes your comment as a joke.

she might as well go on a coke binge if she followed your thought process.

some of the biggest male and female benchers in the world have very impressive squat numbers.

8)

;D

I will be continuing my leg training at least once a week for obvious reasons. 

I'm gonna take measurements and look into the shirt.  Thanks!!

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2007, 02:48:29 PM »

why have her atrophy her legs that she has worked so hard to build? she has fantastic legs and i hope she takes your comment as a joke. she might as well go on a coke binge if she followed your thought process.

8)

So, she could atrophy her leg muscles AND lose another 12 pounds of water? I see no reason why she shouldn't bench 225 at a bodyweight of 110 then. Great idea! As far as the coke binge goes, hell yeah I condone it!
E

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2007, 04:09:01 AM »
Here's a pic from my last comp, Feb 2007, 175, which I got easily.  You can see my technique, or lack thereof.  I don't think I am using my legs at all lol.
I'll practice the arch, but it seems awkward and uncomfortable.

Should I still use the plates under my feet? 

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2007, 04:12:49 AM »
Here's a pic from my last comp, Feb 2007, 175, which I got easily.  You can see my technique, or lack thereof.  I don't think I am using my legs at all lol.
I'll practice the arch, but it seems awkward and uncomfortable.

Should I still use the plates under my feet? 

What kind of room are you in? Doesn't look like a gym. Also, are you you familiar with Gary Sinise? He cut off his legs for the role of Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump. He had them sewed back on after the movie was filmed, just something to think about.  225 at a BW of 70 would be pretty sweet!
E