Author Topic: Odd bench press question in regards to grip width..  (Read 1191 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Odd bench press question in regards to grip width..
« on: September 05, 2007, 11:09:55 AM »
I noted it in my log but felt it a reasonable question to ask. Iv'e always has a wide bench grip width. One that easily spans the knurled part of the bar. I've reguarly gotten 10 or so total reps with 405 for over a month now on using this grip. Lately while doing closed grip presses, I've only gotten a couple reps from top to bottom with a close grip. Not anywhere close to the reps I'm getting with a wider grip. I've been instructed by a few people both at westside barbell and at my other powerlifting site to bring my grip in damn near or right at the close grip bench width that's shoulder width apart and keep my elbows in?  WHY is that? On a westside instructional, it says they do close grips to prevent soft tissue injuries where wider grips pose a greater risk. The bar is a helluva lot harder to handle wiht a narrow grip and my reps come WAY down. Is this because I'm pushing with more tri's now?

Thoughts, Ideas?  Why is there such a big difference in power between the grips?

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
Re: Odd bench press question in regards to grip width..
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 11:45:08 AM »
405 for ten on the smith machine ?  ;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 11:48:16 AM »
405 for ten on the smith machine ?  ;D

Nope.that's total reps... one set with two rest pause sets after I bomb it..and that was in the cage. In the smith I'm benching more with 405 in the first set before the rest pause sets but the total is the same. Got any ideas on this topic or is this your bump for the thread?

I've also noticed this with squats as far as holding the bar. If i put my hands farther out it's easier to squat as compared to my hands closer to my body like you see alot of olympic lifters do.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 11:53:21 AM »
I noted it in my log but felt it a reasonable question to ask. Iv'e always has a wide bench grip width. One that easily spans the knurled part of the bar. I've reguarly gotten 10 or so total reps with 405 for over a month now on using this grip. Lately while doing closed grip presses, I've only gotten a couple reps from top to bottom with a close grip. Not anywhere close to the reps I'm getting with a wider grip. I've been instructed by a few people both at westside barbell and at my other powerlifting site to bring my grip in damn near or right at the close grip bench width that's shoulder width apart and keep my elbows in?  WHY is that? On a westside instructional, it says they do close grips to prevent soft tissue injuries where wider grips pose a greater risk. The bar is a helluva lot harder to handle wiht a narrow grip and my reps come WAY down. Is this because I'm pushing with more tri's now?

Thoughts, Ideas?  Why is there such a big difference in power between the grips?

::)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 11:57:05 AM »
Westside and Co are genreraly practicing for shirted meets. Shirts FORCE you to tuck, and you'll find your able to use much more wieght like that.  There's no way Mendelson or Gene could bench 1000 w/ a wide grip, It'd tear the pecks RIGHT NOW!

Many do like wide grip even in a shirt. You'll still notice they keep elbows tight and touch the bar low
(upper belly area even).

Have you got a shirt yet? You cant just put it on and expect to have it all figured out, theres A LOT of form involved.

Triceps and Lats and delts are the primary movers, pecks are not as strong. Thats why many use "Tight, Tucked form.

Wide grip and RAW max lifts are a ticket to a Peck tear in time IMO.

GET A SHIRT! Hell Get 2! A super cheap-O lightest Inzer and a Metal Pro Viking. Buy the light one loser than the other.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 12:01:45 PM »
Westside and Co are genreraly practicing for shirted meets. Shirts FORCE you to tuck, and you'll find your able to use much more wieght like that.  There's no way Mendelson or Gene could bench 1000 w/ a wide grip, It'd tear the pecks RIGHT NOW!

Many do like wide grip even in a shirt. You'll still notice they keep elbows tight and touch the bar low
(upper belly area even).

Have you got a shirt yet? You cant just put it on and expect to have it all figured out, theres A LOT of form involved.

Triceps and Lats and delts are the primary movers, pecks are not as strong. Thats why many use "Tight, Tucked form.

Wide grip and RAW max lifts are a ticket to a Peck tear in time IMO.

GET A SHIRT! Hell Get 2! A super cheap-O lightest Inzer and a Metal Pro Viking. Buy the light one loser than the other.

I don't want to bench in a shirt anytime soon ..and if my elbow doesn't get better I might not compete at all. I'm deloading this week to see where it takes me joint wise and come back hard next week. Yeah the pec tear thing was the main reason why they wanted me to bring it in and I do notice a HUGE stretch across my chest at the bottom of the lift wiht a wide grip vs a narrower grip. I'm thinking it has something to do with my tricep strength because apparenlty they're not growing for shit wide but when I move the grip in closer my strenght isn't even half of what it was before. Which seemed odd to me.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 12:17:02 PM »
I don't want to bench in a shirt anytime soon ..and if my elbow doesn't get better I might not compete at all. I'm deloading this week to see where it takes me joint wise and come back hard next week. Yeah the pec tear thing was the main reason why they wanted me to bring it in and I do notice a HUGE stretch across my chest at the bottom of the lift wiht a wide grip vs a narrower grip. I'm thinking it has something to do with my tricep strength because apparenlty they're not growing for shit wide but when I move the grip in closer my strenght isn't even half of what it was before. Which seemed odd to me.

My guess is you obviously need to lower your training volume. That is the reason why your elbow is hurting.

I don't know of any lifter who trains with a reasonable volume who's got elbow problems.

If you're doing close grips, benchpresses and then add additional triceps excersises?

And for some reason are doing very heavy biceps training?

Of course you're bound to get problems with the elbow.
As empty as paradise

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 01:04:16 PM »
so basically you're saying you bench press what Ronnie Coleman did in Cost of Redemption?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 05:18:38 PM »
I guess TWT is more into Pl'ing than BB'ing?  Anyway.....With a wider, or extra wide grip, you are placing too much of a work load on the the pec' themselves. They may be taking the undesired blunt of that work load ( strain,tear, etc)  The joints may tend to become over taxed also with any extreme hand spacing. Where as, you want a almost equal balance of the pushing muscles of the anterior delts, triceps and the pecs  for handling heavy weight and strength gains. You will generate more direct force/muscle action on the bar/bench press it's self with a medium to closer hand spacing. The joints also become more inline and supported by the delts, pec's & triceps when lifting heavy. This spares or saves the joints somewhat. With proper BP'ing  mechanics the elbows should not cause undo concern. As suggested by HedgeHog, not too many top benches seem to have  major elbow problems. At least the ones I come in contact with.

BB'ers will gain a better stretch and pec action with a wider grip, elbows back and lowering the bar towards the upper chest. Even to the neck area (Gironda style) but a much lighter weight and higher reps are used to avoid any injury.

The more reps/practice  that TWT does on the closer grip the more he will readjust the responses of the motor units in the pec's, delts and triceps pushing motion. Training them as a almost equal unit, he should match that 405 he got with a wider grip before long. And probably push his BP much higher in the long run.  He just has to adapt to a new and better style of benching. If WestSide say's to do this or that, maybe it's time to listen to them. Good Luck.
F