Author Topic: Ask a REAL Karate Blackbelt  (Read 17303 times)

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
Ask a REAL Karate Blackbelt
« on: September 11, 2007, 06:23:42 PM »
Ok guys. I've been involved in the martial arts for a long time now...
whether it be fighting in the streets or fighting in cages.
I'm a black belt in karate. I've dabbled in boxing, wrestling, and recently BJJ.
From time to time, people interested in the martial arts will PM me with their questions,
and now I feel is the time to share some of my knowledge. I will respond to these PMs publicly,
week to week. I feel this information is especially valuable to new fans of our sport.

Re: (No subject)
« Sent to: realkarateblackbelt on: September 05, 2007, 05:57:37 PM »
Quote  Reply  Remove 

RKBB, a lot of my bros are arguing when i tell them karate is the real shit man.
it really grinds my gears, no what i mean? My question is what is the best fighting so i can
check these fools. Thanks -CJ

Well, CJ, the best fighting style is usually described as some kind of standup combined with Judo, Wrestling, or Brasilian Jiu-Jitsu.
K-1 essentially determines the best standup fighter in the world. Looking at K-1, it's clear that three styles dominate:
Full-Contact Karate (K-1 champs Andy Hug, Semmy Schilt), Kickboxing (K-1 champ Ernesto Hoost), and Muay-Thai (Peter Aerts).
In addition, each of these champions also cross-trains in the three primary styles.

Former UFC champion and King of Pancrase Bas Rutten:

Q: How many different styles of fighting have you trained in? Do you have any ranks? Who do you consider your teacher?

Bas: Tae Kwon Do 2nd Degree, Kyokushin Karate 2nd Degree, Thai boxing yellow slip (just kidding), Kyokushin All round fighting 5th Degree (I received this after I defeated Takahashi. I didn’t do any test for this).
I thought a lot myself, striking wise I would say that I learned the most at Mean Ho gym in Breda Holland. Cor Hemmers is the teacher there, he is very good. I started learning the basics in Grappling with Chris Dolman in Holland.

Q: Let us say that I want to become a NHB fighter. What are the martial arts styles you would recommend me to train in?

Bas: Free style wrestling, Thai boxing and submissions (Jiu-Jitsu but without a gi).

So there you have it, the SECOND best fighting style is a combination of one of three standup arts: FC Karate/Muay Thai/Kickboxing...
with one of the three grappling arts: Wrestling/Judo/Jiu Jitsu.

But, you might say, "you said SECOND best! I want THE BEST."

Well, the BEST fighting style is not really a style. The best single style is weight training to develop large muscles.
Some fighters might have sub-par ground skills...some might have sub-par standup skills...
but the thing they all share is a powerful build, relative to their respective weight classes.
Size and strength are so important to fighting that weight classes have been introduced to protect smaller fighters from episodes like this:

&mode=related&search=

Bobb Sapp, a tryout for the NFL, in fact list his fighting style as NFL.
Despite his COMPLETE lack of skill, arm punches, and spinning turtle defense tactics, he managed to beat K-1 Champion, and elite Kickboxer, Ernesto Hoost
TWICE...relying on nothing but his sheer muscle:

So there you have it CJ...
You can give your kid brother all the training in the world, but you'll still be able to sit on him and fart on his head.
Also, people are less inclined to fuck with you if you're muscular. (rightly)

Weight training, is the most important fight training.

This is RKB saying, "keep up the good fight."

TEAM REPTILIAN

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: Ask a REAL Karate Blackbelt
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 06:29:13 PM »
I'm a black belt in karate. I've dabbled in boxing, wrestling, and recently BJJ.
From time to time, people interested in the martial arts will PM me with their questions,

you sound like an all around bitchin guy

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 06:29:24 PM »
and now I feel is the time to share some of my knowledge. I will respond to these PMs publicly,
week to week. I feel this information is especially valuable to new fans of our sport.

Well, CJ, the best fighting style is usually described as some kind of standup combined with Judo, Wrestling, or Brasilian Jiu-Jitsu.
K-1 essentially determines the best standup fighter in the world. Looking at K-1, it's clear that three styles dominate:
Full-Contact Karate (K-1 champs Andy Hug, Semmy Schilt), Kickboxing (K-1 champ Ernesto Hoost), and Muay-Thai (Peter Aerts).
In addition, each of these champions also cross-trains in the three primary styles.

So there you have it, the SECOND best fighting style is a combination of one of three standup arts: FC Karate/Muay Thai/Kickboxing...

Well, the BEST fighting style is not really a style. The best single style is weight training to develop large muscles.
Some fighters might have sub-par ground skills...some might have sub-par standup skills...
but the thing they all share is a powerful build, relative to their respective weight classes.
Size and strength are so important to fighting that weight classes have been introduced to protect smaller fighters from episodes like this:

&mode=related&search=

Despite his COMPLETE lack of skill, arm punches, and spinning turtle defense tactics, he managed to beat K-1 Champion, and elite Kickboxer, Ernesto Hoost

You can give your kid brother all the training in the world, but you'll still be able to sit on him and fart on his head.

I am rolling on the floor laughing at how stupid you are.. Bob Sapp if I am not mistaken had his Eye crushed by a Crocop punch.. Hmmm.. Being big is the best defense.. Wow if you have a black belt I am sure it goes with your dockers.. You damn phonny.

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 06:33:02 PM »
I am rolling on the floor laughing at how stupid you are.. Bob Sapp if I am not mistaken had his Eye crushed by a Crocop punch.. Hmmm.. Being big is the best defense.. Wow if you have a black belt I am sure it goes with your dockers.. You damn phonny.

This is Bezerkerfairy's backup account.
It makes sense that you hate Bob Sapp...being a "smallguy."

TEAM REPTILIAN

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 06:44:37 PM »
I'm a red belt in TKD (useless), Blubelt in BJJ under Draculino Magalhese of team Gracie/Barra, and ive boxed for around six years, and Ive got to say besides what you stole from bas you are full of crap.  Many top tier fighters don't even mess around with weights, I know Manny Steward discourages his fighters in regaurds to weight training, and look at fedor, most of his strength comes from body on body grappling/wrestling, although he does do limited kettle bell training.  According to Steward you tend to get arm weary as the fight wears on leaving you open to punishment.  Bob Sapp is a huge freak of nature with no skill, look what happened when he fought Nog.  He came out strong for a few minutes then gassed and lost. Quit giving out retarded advice you might get somebody hurt.

Predictions
 40/61

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 06:46:02 PM »
This is Bezerkerfairy's backup account.
It makes sense that you hate Bob Sapp...being a "smallguy."

Sorry pal not Nick... You can even see a picture that I posted.. Give me a minute and I'll post a new one.. Speaking of which where is your pic.. You must be Bluetoes Cage fighting back up account huh...

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 06:51:28 PM »
I'm a red belt in TKD (useless), Blubelt in BJJ under Draculino Magalhese of team Gracie/Barra, and ive boxed for around six years, and Ive got to say besides what you stole from bas you are full of crap.  Many top tier fighters don't even mess around with weights, I know Manny Steward discourages his fighters in regaurds to weight training, and look at fedor, most of his strength comes from body on body grappling/wrestling, although he does do limited kettle bell training.  According to Steward you tend to get arm weary as the fight wears on leaving you open to punishment.  Bob Sapp is a huge freak of nature with no skill, look what happened when he fought Nog.  He came out strong for a few minutes then gassed and lost. Quit giving out retarded advice you might get somebody hurt.

That's all wrong.

First of all, I didn't steal anything from Bas Rutten.
I quoted him to support what everyone that's familiar with the game already knows.

Bob Sapp, despite having no clue how to even throw a punch, has twice beaten arguably the greatest standup fighter in the world,
relying on NOTHING but strength and size.

Imagine if he was talented.

There are virtually no great MMA fighters that aren't far stronger than the average person at the same weight, Fedor included.
It's the reason we have weight classes. Combine strength AND skill and you have a potential champion.

Encouraging strength training is not going to get anyone hurt, but taking BJJ likely will.
In fact, I've met a few that have injured themselves badly in BJJ tournaments.

You are way off base, and nothing I said is wrong.

TEAM REPTILIAN

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 06:54:23 PM »
A lot of animosity on this board. No wonder I avoided it for so long. People have favorite fighters, people have opinions, we should all respect them. I happen to think Rashad Evans will be unstoppable with more training, guess what? I don't care that people on here hate him. I think I am done with this board, if I have an opinion I am a TUF fanboy or a guy ::)(I don't even know what those terms mean). You kids have fun.
E

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 07:04:21 PM »
I look alot like BF huh you dumb bastard.. :-X :-X :-X

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 07:05:07 PM »
Combine strength AND skill and you have a potential champion.

Skill comes first hands down, I remember about five years ago 170lb Gil Castillo fought an NFL linebaker from the Eagles I believe as part of a challenge, the dude was like 250lbs and pretty shredded, Gil took him down and made him tap 4 times in like 3minutes.  
Predictions
 40/61

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 07:06:15 PM »
I look alot like BF huh you dumb bastard.. :-X :-X :-X

Looking like a pussy wrecking machine!  ;D

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 07:07:07 PM »
Skill comes first hands down, I remember about five years ago 170lb Gil Castillo fought an NFL linebaker from the Eagles I believe as part of a challenge, the dude was like 250lbs and pretty shredded, Gil took him down and made him tap 4 times in like 3minutes.  

Sapp pummeled Hoost twice! And Hoost is supposed to be the greatest kickboxer.
TEAM REPTILIAN

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 07:07:56 PM »
Yes sir.. These poor bastards would be in trouble... Mr Mcdojo himself.. Taken to the ground and put in a rear naked or better yet a good ol' face crank... But BJJ is for pussies...

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 07:08:58 PM »

Hoost's game plan was absolutely retarded in the Sapp fight. He had him in the second anyway. Too early on the ref stoppage. In the end, Hoost is arguably the greatest k-1 fighter of all time and Sapp is just another freakshow gatekeeper clown.  ;)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 07:10:56 PM »
Hoost's game plan was absolutely retarded in the Sapp fight. He had him in the second anyway. Too early on the ref stoppage. In the end, Hoost is arguably the greatest k-1 fighter of all time and Sapp is just another freakshow gatekeeper clown.  ;)

Didn't hoost just sit in the corner in one of those fights.. His game plan was horribel if I remember...

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »

He was supposedly the greatest kickboxer like five years before he fought Sapp, by the time he fought Sapp he was already on his decline, Cro-Cop gangster puched Sapp and broke his orbital bone reducing him to tears, Hoost dropped Sapp with a body shot.  
Predictions
 40/61

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 07:13:57 PM »
Cro-Cop gangster puched Sapp and broke his orbital bone reducing him to tears, Hoost dropped Sapp with a body shot.  

Strength + Skill.

TEAM REPTILIAN

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 07:30:08 PM »
Strength + Skill.

You said strength is the most important fight training, and it's not.
Predictions
 40/61

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 07:31:37 PM »
Chute, you should rein these retards in! Are you going to let Bluto overrun this board with his cronies and their bullshit?

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 08:34:01 PM »
Chute, you should rein these retards in! Are you going to let Bluto overrun this board with his cronies and their bullshit?

Don't worry BF I can gurantee that won't happen.. I almost see Blutoes days as Mod on this board dwindling...

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 11:27:33 PM »

&mode=related&search=

Hoooo boy. 

Here we go again.  I am at loss for words. 

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 01:11:59 AM »
Strength will always be more important than technique, because technique is useless without the muscle to apply it.
What good is it teaching a man martial arts if he's built like a woman?
Utterly useless.
At a certain point, no amount of technique will overcome strength.
The reverse is not true.

Again:
*You can beat up your kid brother no matter how much fight training he has.
*Fight organisations have many weight classes to protect the fighters.
*Most of the current boxing champs are giants that rely on brute force and limited skill.
*The current K-1 champ is a giant
*Bob Sapp beat the K-1 Champion TWICE relying only on brute force.
*All serious MMA fighters do strength training
*Many fighters likely take steroids
*Many suspect Cro Cops failure in the UFC is due to "lack of substances" (I'm paraphrasing Kongo)

Maybe you guys still think Bruce Lee was the greatest fighter in the world?

But I'm talking about reality.

TEAM REPTILIAN

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 03:03:00 AM »

You're right.  As someone who trained with Manny as a very very young man Manny discourages weight training unless it's something you do as a hobby outside of your boxing training.  I know he discourages from lifting when you get very close to a fight.

UK Gold

• Getbig IV
  • Riding on the Getbig wind
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 03:57:55 AM »
You're right.  As someone who trained with Manny as a very very young man Manny discourages weight training unless it's something you do as a hobby outside of your boxing training.  I know he discourages from lifting when you get very close to a fight.
Its a good job Tyson [in his prime], Lennox, Ali and Hatton ignored him then ::)

Strength will always be more important than technique, because technique is useless without the muscle to apply it.
Utterly useless.
The reverse is not true.

Again:
*Most of the current boxing champs are giants that rely on brute force and limited skill.
*Many suspect Cro Cops failure in the UFC is due to "lack of substances" (I'm paraphrasing Kongo)

Its not often i agree with 'Bezerk Fury', but you are an obvious troll that is on a sugar rush from all those cookies your mom baked you.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 07:54:22 AM »
Utterly useless.
The reverse is not true.

Again:

Not only do I know women who would stomp a mud hole in quite a few men, But you can bet I know some kids around 12 to 15 that I would put money on whopping a grown 220 lb man.. You must not know about pressure points either let alone the fact that size doesn't matter! Go back and look at some of the early UFC's didn't little Royce win the whole tournament against men that looked like Giants compared to him. I don't know maybe I am just saying this because I am a small guy...... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)