Author Topic: running and legs  (Read 1144 times)

overcome

• Getbig II
  • Size comes with strength, strength comes from pain
running and legs
« on: September 12, 2007, 05:56:04 AM »
okay, for quite some time now i have been trying to get some size on my legs.  they have been growiing slowly but i have to start running pretty hard 3 times a week.  I had planned on doing high volume leg workouts twice a week but wuth this new schedule i was thinking what i could do so that my legs wouldnt be dead when it was time to run. 

what i have been thinking is doing a light leg workout 2 times a week after i run, then doing a hard workout once a week when i will have 2 days to recover.  just wanted to see what all you guys thought about it or if you had any ideas.
thanks

Greg
you suck at life...

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: running and legs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 06:25:05 AM »
That's too much work even if you were on the juice and eating your ass off. One day of kicking your own ass will be more than enough. Working 3 dyas a week won't make it come any faster. If anything MAYBE one light day and one heavy day. Either way, pending what you're already doing, running is going to suck after you work your legs...which is when I'd do it. I woudln't expect big things if you run your ass off then go do some squats.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 06:36:15 AM »
yeah once a week should be enough, make sure you put it so it gives as much rest as possible between runs

Z

overcome

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 06:51:25 AM »
sounds good, i'll make friday leg day, gives me 2 days rest before running again.  i'm pretty irritated about this setup, i know leg growth is killed by  running  :-\
you suck at life...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 07:02:08 AM »
its not ideal for packing on size for legs. but then getting more endurance has a positive effect on training as a whole
Z

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 07:16:50 AM »
Of course you did not give an example of "pretty hard 3 times a week" running. Three days in a row or a different order? Running in a group, class cross county running, etc. Some Olympic lifters include running in a training scheme and their legs are usually outstanding. (no malice towards any Pl'er but I just had the image of some of the superheavy guy's trying to waddle up to the bench or squat rack, let alone  trying to run. That would be quite a sight) Once you get use to the running workouts it should not be that depleting, the body will adapt. Football and Rugby players have strong and impressive legs and running is a great part of their training. A lot of their lung endurance is from the running. The stamina (endurance+strength) comes with the weight workouts. That's why lifting is a great part of the modern athletes superior training. Bigger, stronger and can extend their careers much longer than past athletes could.

May not want to work the legs right after or on the same day as running. Consider a basic mass builder for the legs like 5X5's or 7X7's. Or general BB'ing reps of 8-12. Make up a twice a week leg routine and stay with it. Good Luck.
F

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 08:17:32 AM »
Like others have said, you didn't include your running workout which you say is hard.  Is it a hard mile each day you run? 2? 3?  If you ran a hard 1-1.5 mile a day then you could be fine.  I know college players who have done that and they, esp the running backs, have big legs.  Same thing goes for track athletes and soccer players.  JPM offers a good routine that I use right now and frankly like, adding 5 pounds each workout that I accomplish the 5 reps in the previous workout.  Keeping a closer stance on your squats will be good IMO.  Keep your carbs up, stretch daily, repair those muscles from the wear and tear.  Add one day of sprints and take out a lengthy run, that will build some size IMO.  You could also add in a day of the elliptical machine which can add a different twist to the thighs and actually complement your running and/or sprints.
Squishy face retard

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:34:59 AM »
its not ideal for packing on size for legs. but then getting more endurance has a positive effect on training as a whole

Any kind of distance running will pretty much put a stop to putting on any kind of size. Windsprints are another story.
The House that Ruth built

overcome

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 04:12:26 AM »
okay, we talked our squad leader into doing one day of 30-60's or windsprints, the other 2 days of running will consist of 5-10k runs, 5k done pretty hard( for me hard is pretty slow right now) but we will be running harder each week so it wont get easy for a while, we should only be doing the 10k once or twice a month wich made me happy, originally it was going to be once a week.  the three days are mon,weds,fry and tues,thurs,sat are gym days.  i'm trying to get these guys to do legs but they are all bitches and think running is good enough for legs, also i'm having to babysit them in the gym cause they like to ego-lift with a ton of weight and 1/3 reps and claim it as a lift ::) .  i'm in charge of the gym workouts in the morning but have decided to do 2-a-days on lifting days cause i have done well with them before.  we will be doing sprints on weds i think, i think the best days to lift for legs will be weds-fri or weds-sat but if the sprints are good enough i might just leave them at that.

what do you think?
you suck at life...

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 05:32:39 AM »
Football and Rugby players have strong and impressive legs and running is a great part of their training.

I've been playing competitive rugby for years now and I can tell you that the training we do has definitely increased my leg size, as well as other players.  I know a few backs (small guys) who haven't trained legs in YEARS and have HUGE legs just from sprint work. 

I think most of it has to do with all the quick bursts of speed required (mixed with the constant pushing around of other people) and the constant change of direction as well as level changes (getting up off the ground constantly).

I think you're on the right track as far as trying to limit the long runs and incorporating the sprinting.  One technique we use is a 1 minute on 1 minute off method using accelerations.  The idea is that you jog for 1 minute and then accelerate (sprint) for another minute then repeat 3 times, that's 1 set.  Do 3 sets and you're cooked.  The idea is that your jog should be your recovery, which is very rugby-specific but it transfers over very well to general fitness.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 07:57:13 AM »
okay, we talked our squad leader into doing one day of 30-60's or windsprints, the other 2 days of running will consist of 5-10k runs, 5k done pretty hard( for me hard is pretty slow right now) but we will be running harder each week so it wont get easy for a while, we should only be doing the 10k once or twice a month wich made me happy, originally it was going to be once a week.  the three days are mon,weds,fry and tues,thurs,sat are gym days.  i'm trying to get these guys to do legs but they are all bitches and think running is good enough for legs, also i'm having to babysit them in the gym cause they like to ego-lift with a ton of weight and 1/3 reps and claim it as a lift ::) .  i'm in charge of the gym workouts in the morning but have decided to do 2-a-days on lifting days cause i have done well with them before.  we will be doing sprints on weds i think, i think the best days to lift for legs will be weds-fri or weds-sat but if the sprints are good enough i might just leave them at that.

what do you think?
IMO, I would do legs on the days you do wind sprints.  After a 3 or 6 mile run, your legs are going to be toast.
Squishy face retard

MoralMan

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 11:22:31 AM »
Boxers run 6 days a week and train legs with weights.