Author Topic: dead lift grip and back strength?  (Read 1294 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
dead lift grip and back strength?
« on: September 19, 2007, 06:17:08 AM »
Do you think your dead lift grip has a direct correlation between it and your back strength? If you use the same grip with one hand under and one hand over, could one side eventually get stronger than the other unilaterally as a direct result from deadlifting?

I want to see what you guys think before I write out why I'm asking and what I've found to support such an idea.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: dead lift grip and back strength?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 08:38:26 AM »
the "uneven" development thing is the biggest fallacy and bunch of bullshit in the game, it doesn't matter, use whatever grip allows you to handle the most weight comfortably, i've been using an over/under grip for not only deadlifts but barbell rows as well for 13 years and both sides of my back are the same size.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 08:43:42 AM »
the "uneven" development thing is the biggest fallacy and bunch of bullshit in the game, it doesn't matter, use whatever grip allows you to handle the most weight comfortably, i've been using an over/under grip for not only deadlifts but barbell rows as well for 13 years and both sides of my back are the same size.

Not necessarily size but strenght issue. Iv'e always used an over under when dead lifting like you. I've always had my left hand under and my right hand over and never once thought to change it. The reason I brought this up, looking over my log a few ago, I realized that my left side is ALWAYS stronger than my right on unilateral back movements. While thinking about it, I switched grips and lifted 600 for a few reps with my right under and left over instead and it was a little harder than usual. I chalk it up to changing the grip but, it's not THAT significant of a change like a bench grip would be. I'm going to CHANGE my grip from time to time to see if that helps bring up my right side's strenght and endurance a little bit more. Only way to find out if my theory on this is correct is to do it and see.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 08:51:50 AM »
Not necessarily size but strenght issue. Iv'e always used an over under when dead lifting like you. I've always had my left hand under and my right hand over and never once thought to change it. The reason I brought this up, looking over my log a few ago, I realized that my left side is ALWAYS stronger than my right on unilateral back movements. While thinking about it, I switched grips and lifted 600 for a few reps with my right under and left over instead and it was a little harder than usual. I chalk it up to changing the grip but, it's not THAT significant of a change like a bench grip would be. I'm going to CHANGE my grip from time to time to see if that helps bring up my right side's strenght and endurance a little bit more. Only way to find out if my theory on this is correct is to do it and see.
It's something to consider, but I think that one arm is just stronger.  I know many people who lift with me and complain their dominant arm is weaker but consider it this way.  Let's say you are curling or benching and you subconsciously put more effort into your dominant arm, the bar is going to shift slightly, which you might not notice.  That extra stress is transferred to your "weaker" arm, causing it to deal with slightly more weight and thus it has to work harder.  Could be the case, could not be.  You could also do an double overhand, which is harder, and see how good your grip gets.
Squishy face retard

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 09:22:56 AM »
Agree with Cap86. If TWT has concern about grip, than use the overhand grip only. Main reason to use an over/under grip is so the BB does not roll out of the hands if the grip fails. Use straps in the overhand grip if that is your worry.

There is a theory, still held by a lot of coaches, that a unnatural torque/twist is developed on the spine  with a over/under hand grip. Causing some people to have lower/middle back problems. Do not know if this is true or not but would have my doubts. Like when people did the old time Jefferson DL. Now that could prove to be a problem.

I would love to see anyone do BB rows with a over/under grip.That would be a sight. Change grips in mid-air I wonder? Good Luck.
F

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 02:10:12 PM »
Agree with Cap86. If TWT has concern about grip, than use the overhand grip only. Main reason to use an over/under grip is so the BB does not roll out of the hands if the grip fails. Use straps in the overhand grip if that is your worry.

There is a theory, still held by a lot of coaches, that a unnatural torque/twist is developed on the spine  with a over/under hand grip. Causing some people to have lower/middle back problems. Do not know if this is true or not but would have my doubts. Like when people did the old time Jefferson DL. Now that could prove to be a problem.

I would love to see anyone do BB rows with a over/under grip.That would be a sight. Change grips in mid-air I wonder? Good Luck.
hahahha, what are you babbling about? you just row the bar the same as you would with a double overhand or double underhand grip you fuccking dumbass, hahahaha, have you ever posted one picture, sissy?

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 07:16:05 PM »
I use over/under grip for heavy shrugs and alternate each set to avoid imbalance. If one hand is over for the first set then it's under for the second. Have you tried that? Or just do double-overhand. It's harder but that makes it more fun.

1quick1

• Getbig I
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 11:54:28 PM »
Do you think your dead lift grip has a direct correlation between it and your back strength? If you use the same grip with one hand under and one hand over, could one side eventually get stronger than the other unilaterally as a direct result from deadlifting?

Well your grip strength is directly related to your forearm strength so I don't think it has much, if any, relation to your back strength.

As for your over/under grip, I would suggest alternating which hand is over/under each set or at least each workout. 

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 05:43:55 AM »
I use over/under grip for heavy shrugs and alternate each set to avoid imbalance. If one hand is over for the first set then it's under for the second. Have you tried that? Or just do double-overhand. It's harder but that makes it more fun.

I use a double overhand for my shrugs and I plan to alternate grips wiht my deads just to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, well I just learned that one side of my vag has bigger lips than the other in the gym apparenlty. Grip position DOES effect how an exercises stimulates a certain muscle group or we woudln't have a million different grips or need variations in back exercises, etc.

JasonWojo

• Getbig II
  • True Protein Athlete
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 07:14:31 AM »
I don't think one side of your back would get stronger than the other, but it would seem possible that you'd have a unilateral grip strength difference.  I just use a double overhand grip to avoid worrying about it and also it seems to be safer for the biceps, as I've heard many stories about the underhand grip biceps being succeptable to injury.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 07:20:20 AM »
Don't think it makes any difference but I always change my grip from one hand under to the other and I also use both hands over.