Author Topic: BOB - WHAT HAPPENED WITH MORE COMPARISONS RULE?  (Read 10189 times)

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • http://www.milossarcev.com
BOB - WHAT HAPPENED WITH MORE COMPARISONS RULE?
« on: October 03, 2007, 09:59:06 AM »
Hi Bob,

Here we are again...
As you announced back in 2006 - you have received conformation from Mr. Jim Manion that starting with IRONMAN 2007 we will have MORE COMPARISONS and if I remember correctly you even used a term: top ten will all be crisscrossed and compared...

At the IRONMAN we had situation where hardly any comparisons took place and as you know - after the prejudging we had somewhat uncomfortable discussion with the judges...

That day Mr. Manion called me and when I asked him WHAT HAPPENED - he suggested that possibly some of the judges were NOT informed about this NEW POLICY (so much for putting things in writing - I guess?)

Well, after I must say pretty good year of NUMEROUS COMPARISONS in many shows (still not as many as expected - but definitely MORE THAN EVER) I was looking foreword to Mr. Olympia - FINAL CONTEST OF THE YEAR...SUPERBOWL OF BODYBUILDING...and being that prejudging is separated from the finals (on Friday night) - it was safe to assume that WE WILL HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD TO COMPARE each and every athlete even with their own shadows...if we had to...

How and why we didn't have MORE COMPARISONS and how and why some athletes were denied a chance to compete - it is a question I have to ask...

And while some people will suggest that I am talking about "my athletes" - I would like to say - all the athletes are "my athletes" (as just like you Bob - I do care for all the IFBB pros...so fact that I am maybe helping some in preparation doesn't mean I am now against any other...I only like to bring the best out of each and every guy and help them reach their full potential).

So, HOW (!?) for the love of God could IFBB judging panel NOT want to see Dennis Wolf standing right next to (rather: in between) Jay and Victor?
And how for example AC champion Johnnie Jackson was never compared with Melvin Anthony (as Melvin "predicted" at the press conference)...or Ronnie, Dexter, Jay...and how about my dear friend - Hidetada Yamagishi (who's sponsor organized large group of Japanese fans to come to Vegas and witness the history -as Hide is the very first Japanese bodybuilder to ever step on Mr. Olympia stage...just to realize - head judge didn't even know how to pronounce Hidetada's name, making fun of his mistakes...as he thought he is being funny mispronouncing Hidetada's name 5-6 times...).
Guests form Japan were deeply disturbed with that and I must say: rightfully so...

Could it be that after failing to remember his name judge decided NOT to call Hide for additional comparisons (I saw Hide worthy of being compared to his ex training partner Silvio, Gustavo, David H....etc)

When we are talking about THE OLYMPIA...Joe Weider's Mr. Olympia - as ULTIMATE CONTEST at the end of EVERY YEAR - which determines exactly WHO IS THE BEST BODYBUILDER IN THE WORLD...we should have MORE comparisons than normally and certainly not less.

While there are many bellow average IFBB pros at some IFBB professional events - certain comparisons among the athletes are possibly NOT necessary (due to obvious difference in quality)...but Olympians are "special breed" and they are not there by accident...they earned their right to step on that stage through qualification process - as they had to prove themselves - competing and placing in the top 3 in some of the shows prior to Mr. O.

And if judges somehow overlook somebody on Friday...they could see some photos on the Internet (like the "instant replay")....review it... and maybe realize that some competitors DESERVE to be compared to otherwise "protected" champions...

Fans deserve to see it...the whole world does...but we are still not doing it?!?

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
Re: BOB - WHAT HAPPENED WITH MORE COMPARISONS RULE?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 10:03:33 AM »
Nice one Milos - I hope you get an answer, although I suspect it will be on the phone!!!

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 10:04:02 AM »
Well said Milos.  I was extremely dissapointed not to see Dennis put next to victor and Jay.  Maybe the IFBB didn't want to make it TOO obvious how fucked up the placings were.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 10:07:23 AM »
Milos.  Correction it is NOT called Joe Weiders Olympia.  It is now called the MUSCLETECH OLYMPIA FOR COMPETITORS THAT LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT WE'LL STILL AWARD THEM THE TITLE SINCE WE ARE PAYING FOR THIS SHIT

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 10:07:36 AM »
Milos-

I agree 100% with everything you just said....

I too, would like to know why there werent sufficient/ adaquate comparisons...ANYONE in the top 5 should be compared, and especially where there are cross-over comparisons  Ex: ( top 5 are called, next 5 are called...I want to see 4,5,6,7 called next...)

I would also like to see what I call "fan friendly" callouts when they are within reason....Johnnie Jackson and Melvin...Darrem and JOJ, and Melvin, etc....all lend to more exciting show.

Trev

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 10:15:32 AM »
Milos - Try someone who can do something about this. Thats obviously not Bob.

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 10:15:59 AM »
Milos-

I too, would like to know why there werent sufficient/ adaquate comparisons...ANYONE in the top 5 should be compared, and especially where there are cross-over comparisons  Ex: ( top 5 are called, next 5 are called...I want to see 4,5,6,7 called next...)

I would also like to see what I call "fan friendly" callouts when they are within reason....Johnnie Jackson and Melvin...Darrem and JOJ, and Melvin, etc....all lend to more exciting show.

Hopefully some kind of OFFICIAL rule can be instated to address this issue.  I hate to sound like a broken record but I just can't understand how the judges can justify not placing a top 5 guy next to first and second place.  Bob, I agree with you and I think the "Within reason" fan friendly callouts is a great way to the the crowd going and hype up the show as well.

akers1021

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • "Big arms and delts dont make you a bodybuilder"
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 10:27:03 AM »
This thread will go either one of these 2 ways:

15+ pages
Ron will delete it in 5 minutes...... ::)

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 10:28:58 AM »
Milos, you should know the answer about why more comparisons were not done.  The IFBB does whatever it wants regardless of whether it creates an air of impropriety in the "judging" as long as the major sponsors are satisfied with the placings.  It's as simple as that.  More comparisons would have been done if it really were a "contest."  But you know that it wasn't.  The result, right or wrong, was predetermined.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 10:30:45 AM »
Milos-

Excellent post!

Trev

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 10:32:22 AM »
Excellent post!
Yeh, but All Talk, NO Walk ...

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 10:32:49 AM »
This thread will go either one of these 2 ways:

15+ pages

15+pages

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 10:34:42 AM »

Why would Ron delete it?

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 10:35:19 AM »
15+pages

Ron rarly deletes any threads...

corinth

• Getbig IV
  • Team Wolf
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 10:41:13 AM »
The only excuse that makes any sense for not comparing Dennis to Jay and Vic is that the judges knew that was a bad comparison for their bought champion.

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 10:43:55 AM »
Thanks for sticking up for Hide Milos.

akers1021

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • "Big arms and delts dont make you a bodybuilder"
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 10:46:53 AM »
The only excuse that makes any sense for not comparing Dennis to Jay and Vic is that the judges knew that was a bad comparison for their bought champion.

POST OF THE YEAR AWARD!

Iron_Sheik

• Getbig II
  • Pat Patterson loves Derek Anthony!
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 10:57:06 AM »
Hi Bob,

Here we are again...
As you announced back in 2006 - you have received conformation from Mr. Jim Manion that starting with IRONMAN 2007 we will have MORE COMPARISONS and if I remember correctly you even used a term: top ten will all be crisscrossed and compared...

At the IRONMAN we had situation where hardly any comparisons took place and as you know - after the prejudging we had somewhat uncomfortable discussion with the judges...

That day Mr. Manion called me and when I asked him WHAT HAPPENED - he suggested that possibly some of the judges were NOT informed about this NEW POLICY (so much for putting things in writing - I guess?)

Well, after I must say pretty good year of NUMEROUS COMPARISONS in many shows (still not as many as expected - but definitely MORE THAN EVER) I was looking foreword to Mr. Olympia - FINAL CONTEST OF THE YEAR...SUPERBOWL OF BODYBUILDING...and being that prejudging is separated from the finals (on Friday night) - it was safe to assume that WE WILL HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD TO COMPARE each and every athlete even with their own shadows...if we had to...

How and why we didn't have MORE COMPARISONS and how and why some athletes were denied a chance to compete - it is a question I have to ask...

And while some people will suggest that I am talking about "my athletes" - I would like to say - all the athletes are "my athletes" (as just like you Bob - I do care for all the IFBB pros...so fact that I am maybe helping some in preparation doesn't mean I am now against any other...I only like to bring the best out of each and every guy and help them reach their full potential).

So, HOW (!?) for the love of God could IFBB judging panel NOT want to see Dennis Wolf standing right next to (rather: in between) Jay and Victor?
And how for example AC champion Johnnie Jackson was never compared with Melvin Anthony (as Melvin "predicted" at the press conference)...or Ronnie, Dexter, Jay...and how about my dear friend - Hidetada Yamagishi (who's sponsor organized large group of Japanese fans to come to Vegas and witness the history -as Hide is the very first Japanese bodybuilder to ever step on Mr. Olympia stage...just to realize - head judge didn't even know how to pronounce Hidetada's name, making fun of his mistakes...as he thought he is being funny mispronouncing Hidetada's name 5-6 times...).
Guests form Japan were deeply disturbed with that and I must say: rightfully so...

Could it be that after failing to remember his name judge decided NOT to call Hide for additional comparisons (I saw Hide worthy of being compared to his ex training partner Silvio, Gustavo, David H....etc)

When we are talking about THE OLYMPIA...Joe Weider's Mr. Olympia - as ULTIMATE CONTEST at the end of EVERY YEAR - which determines exactly WHO IS THE BEST BODYBUILDER IN THE WORLD...we should have MORE comparisons than normally and certainly not less.

While there are many bellow average IFBB pros at some IFBB professional events - certain comparisons among the athletes are possibly NOT necessary (due to obvious difference in quality)...but Olympians are "special breed" and they are not there by accident...they earned their right to step on that stage through qualification process - as they had to prove themselves - competing and placing in the top 3 in some of the shows prior to Mr. O.

And if judges somehow overlook somebody on Friday...they could see some photos on the Internet (like the "instant replay")....review it... and maybe realize that some competitors DESERVE to be compared to otherwise "protected" champions...

Fans deserve to see it...the whole world does...but we are still not doing it?!?

I don't know why, but this part of the story enrages me the most. Next year get someone more professional.

Overall, from the awesome production work done by Hellen Keller, INC to the bullshit that Milos is talking about the Olympia was laughable. Alienating the hardcore fans (which are the only ones that care enough to pay and put their ass in a seat) is putting BB into a fucking landslide.

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 10:58:18 AM »

oh My lord saviour, Jay is completely Owned here
Get Big, or Die Trying

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 11:10:45 AM »
Yeh, but All Talk, NO Walk ...

Regardless about what some of you guys think about Bob being a "companyman" I know that there a many things that he doesn't like that he would like to see changed for the benefit of the pros, but he can only do so much.

nukkaready

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 11:16:31 AM »
Everything Milos says makes sense and should be implemented. Unfortunately bodybuilding contests are fixed and criss crossing all athletes when it comes to pre-judging comparisons doesn't fit the agenda of the IFBB corruption machinery. This years Mr. Olympia is the perfect example: Letting a subpar looking Cutler reign supreme and sparing him the humiliation of getting destroyed in a comparison with a better athlete like Dennis Wolf. Clearly Jay's sponsor won him the title.

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 11:21:05 AM »
Having the pre-judging on Friday night is also a problem.  The judges are going to make minimal callouts when they know that there's still women's bodybuilding & fitness to follow.  Move it back to Saturday and take as long as necessary to give everyone a good look.  Bob, is there any talk of this? 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 11:26:16 AM »
Milos-

Perhaps as Athlete's Rep you could address this issue with Jim and find out what happened?  The 5th-place guy (really 4th since Ronnie got a retirement gift) not being compared to 1-3?  What's up with that?
Ron: "I am lazy."

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 11:28:32 AM »
Touche' Milos...

It's a sad day when the current Mr Olympia's waist is probably 42 inches

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 11:29:41 AM »
We'll call this the "Let's put Wolf and Jay on opposite sides of the stage" rule

;)
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion