Author Topic: Sore or not sore..stupid question? maybe!  (Read 4467 times)

DirtyDirt

• Getbig II
  • 1 DiRty Dawg eat dawg world...
Sore or not sore..stupid question? maybe!
« on: October 04, 2007, 10:40:27 AM »
Why are you sometimes sore a day or two after training and sometimes not? Is being sore crucial for developement of muscle? Is not being sore an indication of not training hard enough? Is more sore better?

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
Re: Sore or not sore..stupid question? maybe!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
I get dissapointed if i'm not sore a couple of days after working a muscle group. If i have worked legs, i have trouble walking normally for a few days afterwards.

the more sore, the better :D
tank u jesus

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 11:19:13 AM »
IMO and I could be wrong soreness is not an indication of a good workout, I'd look at other factors, are you getting a good pump, are your workouts productive and you're progressing in weight? Most importantly are you making gains? I would say all these factors are more important than soreness.  I could be wrong and alot of guys here know more than me and can elaborate...

untitled

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 11:51:16 AM »
I think it varies from person to person, I get sore legs and arms and sometimes back but my chest and shoulders never get sore unless i do a stupid amount of sets for them which is why they were lagging, i dropped the sets and used heavier weights and the are now growing but dont get sore so i dont think soreness really matters,
but i understand the psychological aspect whereby you feel soreness means you hit the muscle properley.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 12:09:53 PM »
Good post mass04........I do however feel like I really targeted the intended bodypart if I get sore,but soreness doesn`t equal progress.

If it did,I`d be humongous!!  LOL  :)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 01:02:26 PM »
i ALWAYS get sore no matter what bodypart i train.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 01:27:55 PM »
D.O.M.S.

delayed onset mucle soreness...

tons of research done on it.  ...its when you arent sore the day after, but two days after you get sore. "delayed onset"...its the mark of a very good workout..tons of muscle damage; the only problem is that it takes a long time for you to recover when you have d.o.m.s....   

like dave said, i get sore every time i train...but i am very succeptible to d.o.m.s....meaning that i always get sore two days after..then it takes up to three days for the soreness to go away and for my body to recover.

post workout nutrition is very important if this happens to you as well. i have found that drinking my whey+creatine+ l-glutamine shake during my workout works best...that way its gigested right at the end. waiting untill your done working out to drink your post workout shake means your muscles have to wait untill your shake digests to get that protein, to start the recovery process. which is about 15 to 20 minutes wait time...and that means that your pump will have gone down considerably, thus you will be getting less nutrients into your muscle than you would have had the shake been digested and ready for use by the end of your workout..

i know i went off on a tangent, but i think thats some valuable info right there, and it is one of the reasons why "whole foods" shouldnt be your only source of nutrients...and why supplement can be effective.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 01:32:33 PM »
D.O.M.S.

delayed onset mucle soreness...

tons of research done on it.  ...its when you arent sore the day after, but two days after you get sore. "delayed onset"...its the mark of a very good workout..tons of muscle damage; the only problem is that it takes a long time for you to recover when you have d.o.m.s....   

like dave said, i get sore every time i train...but i am very succeptible to d.o.m.s....meaning that i always get sore two days after..then it takes up to three days for the soreness to go away and for my body to recover.

post workout nutrition is very important if this happens to you as well. i have found that drinking my whey+creatine+ l-glutamine shake during my workout works best...that way its gigested right at the end. waiting untill your done working out to drink your post workout shake means your muscles have to wait untill your shake digests to get that protein, to start the recovery process. which is about 15 to 20 minutes wait time...and that means that your pump will have gone down considerably, thus you will be getting less nutrients into your muscle than you would have had the shake been digested and ready for use by the end of your workout..

i know i went off on a tangent, but i think thats some valuable info right there, and it is one of the reasons why "whole foods" shouldnt be your only source of nutrients...and why supplement can be effective.
that's nonsense man honestly, just wait till you're done to drink the shake, your body still has plenty of aminos and protein and carbs in your body from previous meals, it makes no difference as far as soreness goes whether you have the shake 10 mins. before you stop or 10 minutes after.

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 01:34:36 PM »
i am usually tired the day after an intense workout, but sore 2 days after.  always thought that was weird.
you are gay.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 01:59:22 PM »
that's nonsense man honestly, just wait till you're done to drink the shake, your body still has plenty of aminos and protein and carbs in your body from previous meals, it makes no difference as far as soreness goes whether you have the shake 10 mins. before you stop or 10 minutes after.
yes..your body still has nutrients flowing throught the blood stream almost continually. and yes, without drinking the shake you have protein floating through your blood. BUT food protein digests slowly, and its density in the blood is very low. with whey protein, what makes it beneficial, is that it digests extremely quickly, and is sent all into the blood stream at once...with great amount of nutrient density.  the amount of protein in your system from dirnking a whey shake is much larger than sanything you could achieve from whole foods...unless you ate maybe 10 chicken breats. the difference is, the whey protein only enters once, and is used up qithin an hour or two, depending. while whole foods liek chicken enter slowly..and float in the blood stream for hours upon hours.     when you are pumped up, you have a huge amount of blood circulating to the muscle that you just trained...the muscle that needs the nutrients. a whey shake will provide it with a TON of nutrients. but if you wait untill after your done working out...the whey wont enter your blood stream for about 15 minutes. and the diffference in the amount of blood rushing to that muscle is GIGANTIC compared to during your last set.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 02:29:25 PM »
My chest, triceps, legs and back always get sore, but no matter what i do my shoulders, biceps and calves never get sore

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 02:42:57 PM »
for me it depends on muscle group as well. legs more or less always. back usually, especially lower back but that might have something to do with it being a weak spot. arms not really, but you can feel them being tense etc, chest not really, shoulders never (but shoulders hurt more than anything day AFTER the workout, especially after lateral raises etc that make them burn)

true soreness comes after i have been away from the gym for a while and then get back to it, that soreness aint no joke.
Z

ryu007

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 05:37:50 PM »
IMO if you always train to be sore then you might sometimes overtrain and get the opposite results. I find if I lay off for a couple extra days or try something completely different I can get that sore feeling the next day.

GR

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 06:25:02 PM »
KISS=Keep It Simple,Stupid.Dont make it complicated,sometimes you feel sore,sometime you dont.Make sure to hit the gym and always train,heavy and light sometimes,for the pump,for strength,for mass,change it,change the excersizes,the poundages,the reps...
TEAM NASSER!

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 06:49:37 PM »
keep it simple = stupid

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 10:03:32 PM »
make sure your mixing up the exercises,,

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 11:03:50 PM »
Why are you sometimes sore a day or two after training and sometimes not? Is being sore crucial for developement of muscle? Is not being sore an indication of not training hard enough? Is more sore better?

Try this; I'd be curious to see what you find. Do your usual squat workout.  Same rep schemes, volume, etc.  Do a lot of stretching before your workout.  Then, after your workout, do some more stretching, do a few sprints or else walk a mile or so.  Let me know if you still feel as sore the next day...  I've done a lot of experimenting with this kind of thing over the years and I've noticed, in general, that if after a brutal leg workout, I remain more or less stationary for the rest of the night, I tend to get more sore the next day than I would if I hadn't done the post-workout stretching/exercize. 

But there are lots of factors that play into muscle soreness.  I.e., if you work out a muscle group only once a week, and do it hard each work out, you will get very sore.  If, however, you train your muscle groups to handle 2 workouts per week (slightly less volume in each than you'd do for the one once-a-week workout), your muscles will usually get used to the routine and your soreness will decrease.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 02:33:40 AM »
only bodypart that never gets sore for me is delts :(

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 08:23:53 PM »
yes..your body still has nutrients flowing throught the blood stream almost continually. and yes, without drinking the shake you have protein floating through your blood. BUT food protein digests slowly, and its density in the blood is very low. with whey protein, what makes it beneficial, is that it digests extremely quickly,

I think squadfathers point is that you're being kind of anal here,with a constant influx of protien your body's not gonna go catabolic all of a sudden because you wait 10 or 15 minutes after lifting, but then again if that's part of your routine,more power to ya......either way it's the same results and if there was a difference you'll never actually see it.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 12:59:52 PM »
My legs are always killing me after a good squats session, but for some reason i have no pain at all when leg pressing.Its always to failure with both so ive no idea whats going on there, but i prefer the pain, therefore i prefer squats as my main leg exercise ( i dont do both in the same workout )

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 04:31:31 PM »
i read this on another thread and think its true: its nice to get sore after a serious PL workout b/c it shows you how the different muscles help each other. For example, 3 days ago i had a good bench press PL workout and the next day, my quad were sore. i was happy about that b/c it indicated that i was using legs to maintain my back arch. just shows you what your working.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 06:09:49 PM »
it's tricky... i had a triceps day last week where my tris were sore for 4 days (very sore) and although i was very intense i did not do a lot of sets... this week i had a kick ass tri's session and i was sore the next day but no more than that...

my overall health seems to be more of a factor: am i under a lot of stress during x week? am i eating properly? am i sleeping enough?