Author Topic: help me with my chest  (Read 3117 times)

triple_h

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
help me with my chest
« on: October 05, 2007, 12:19:47 PM »
guys wud u tell me what exercises are good for outer chest development..
my routine for chest:  1- flat bench barbell x3
2- incline dumbell flye x2
3- decline barbell x2
4- upper cable crossovers x2
lower cable cross overs x2..

my goal is to build shape and defination not size...

lubawyb612

• Getbig II
Re: help me with my chest
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 12:38:03 PM »
3- decline barbell x2

IMO if you want to acquire good shape, you'll need to add size.  Dont see how you can train around that...

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 12:42:54 PM »
Why aren't you doing any inclined bb and/or db presses?

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 04:58:07 PM »
3- decline barbell x2

seriously? if you don't have size you can't shape and define anything.  It's like clay you can't mould what you don't have.  Concentrate on building the size first starting with upper pec development.  For outter pec's an old school exercise is the V bar dips.
Abandon every hope...

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 05:00:46 PM »
decline presses = waste of time

do low incline, 15-20 degrees, 3-4 sets

i have never done cable crossovers in my life

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 05:02:27 PM »
flat db flyes are way better than incline flyes, incline flyes are mostly shoulders.

triple_h

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 12:26:39 AM »
mates, 1st - i have size... my lower is well in shape and size.. plus my uppere pecs are too but am having probs with outer  chest dev...

by the way what are v dips???

now will this help
incline flyes
flat bench barbell
decline flyes
and pec deck...
comment plz

triple_h

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 12:51:49 PM »
hello ::)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
hello ::)
doesn't matter what exercises you do your chest will take on the shape it's supposed to have due to genetics, experiment with different movements and rep rages to see what works for you, personally i find that 3 sets each of Flat barbell bench, incline dumbbell press, flat dumbbell flyes and bodyweight dips work best for me.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 01:02:20 PM »
mates, 1st - i have size... my lower is well in shape and size.. plus my uppere pecs are too but am having probs with outer  chest dev...

by the way what are v dips???

now will this help
incline flyes
flat bench barbell
decline flyes
and pec deck...
comment plz

1.) SF is right about the development and the exercises you should/can use.  Any number will work but these are good.

2.) Outer chest can be stimulated.  I followed Lee Haney's advice about wider grip for wider chest and I still stand by that.  In fact, I am having to work with a closer grip now to get a better stretch and contraction to accentuate inner chest more (which has filled in).  Work with a wider grip and a good contraction (often achieved through a bit lighter weight) and see what happens.  With upper outer chest, try this variation Milos recommended.  Take your grip and work with a stop-press.  I take my last set with a wide grip and lighter weight.  I lower the weight under control and stop on my chest, while still squeezing it, and then from that dead stop I move the weight with contraction only and it really works.
Squishy face retard

triple_h

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 01:12:04 PM »
ok CAP
will try milos style .. and by the way is doing decline movements a waste??? also whats v dips?

triple_h

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 01:39:02 PM »
and is it OK to do military presses for shoulders on a smith mac??

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 02:50:51 PM »
ok CAP
will try milos style .. and by the way is doing decline movements a waste??? also whats v dips?
ok CAP

I think Smith is okay for any movement, especially when you have no spotter or are working around injury.  As for decline, I think it is useless except for the Hammer Strength version.  Personally, I notice more from weighted dips than I do from either decline version.
Squishy face retard

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 03:38:23 PM »
BB declines are mostly shoulders honestly, the ROM isn't enough to do shit for your chest but it might be beneficial for powerlifters as an overload movement to handle more weight in.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 03:45:37 PM »
Bullshit, try doing declines with db's and tell me it's not gonan blast the shit out yer chest, IMO one of the best exercises for chest mass.
follow the arrows

triple_h

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 06:48:31 AM »
even i feel decline outs more stress on the shoulders...

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 07:19:32 AM »
3- decline barbell x2

you cant target outer pecs (only). focuse on increasing your total chest mass.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 07:24:17 AM »
1.) SF is right about the development and the exercises you should/can use.  Any number will work but these are good.

2.) Outer chest can be stimulated.  I followed Lee Haney's advice about wider grip for wider chest and I still stand by that.  In fact, I am having to work with a closer grip now to get a better stretch and contraction to accentuate inner chest more (which has filled in).  Work with a wider grip and a good contraction (often achieved through a bit lighter weight) and see what happens.  With upper outer chest, try this variation Milos recommended.  Take your grip and work with a stop-press.  I take my last set with a wide grip and lighter weight.  I lower the weight under control and stop on my chest, while still squeezing it, and then from that dead stop I move the weight with contraction only and it really works.

no outer chest cant be specifically stimulated without reqruiting the whole chest (pectoralis major). muscle fibers are horisontal (fan-shaped)....

milos talks alot of bullshit...

and your supposed to be a mod on this board and you dont even know basic anatomy?
the best advice in this thread comes from sarcasm, as he knows there is no need to overcomplicate bodybuilding.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 09:08:25 AM »
no outer chest cant be specifically stimulated without reqruiting the whole chest (pectoralis major). muscle fibers are horisontal (fan-shaped)....

milos talks alot of bullshit...

and your supposed to be a mod on this board and you dont even know basic anatomy?
the best advice in this thread comes from sarcasm, as he knows there is no need to overcomplicate bodybuilding.
Lol.  Don't get too riled up.  I don't overcomplicate things (at least anymore) but I do find it funny that my chest filled out in certain areas when using different grips.  I'm not going to resurrect the other thread on here and personal experience has nothing do with being a moderator on here.   8)  My point with the grips is that my wide grip accentuated my chest work to the outer portion, I never said that it specifically worked one are of my chest and not another.  I only use flat and incline BB right now with a 4x5 rep scheme on each; pretty basic.
Squishy face retard

bigsteal809

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 10:41:03 AM »
Do different types of chest exercises like incline bench/flat..incline fly/flat.. trying doing pushups ect.  You wont grow anything if you dont eat. 

triple_h

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 11:52:07 AM »
Do different types of chest exercises like incline bench/flat..incline fly/flat.. trying doing pushups ect.  You wont grow anything if you dont eat. 

i know bout the eating.. this thread for exercises only

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 04:16:27 PM »
Lol.  Don't get too riled up.  I don't overcomplicate things (at least anymore) but I do find it funny that my chest filled out in certain areas when using different grips.  I'm not going to resurrect the other thread on here and personal experience has nothing do with being a moderator on here.   8)  My point with the grips is that my wide grip accentuated my chest work to the outer portion, I never said that it specifically worked one are of my chest and not another.  I only use flat and incline BB right now with a 4x5 rep scheme on each; pretty basic.

"lolifying" your ignorance doesnt change the fact that its impossible to isolate outer vs inner chest. dont spread lies.

changing grips on benchpress has benefits yes, but not due to shifting focus to inner vs outer pecs. one of the real benefits are: that changing "angles" helps to stimulate the muscle not because it hits one part vs another..but due to new "nerv reqruitment". (thats one of the few bb myths that is true: hitting a muscle from several angles is good..not because your gonna change the shape of the muscle but due to "new nerv reqruitment") 

also a wide grip will feel different (as opposed to a close grip) because of the stretch and less tricep involvement..but that hasnt anything to do with changing the shape of the pectoralis major. (other than the fact that too close grip takes away alot of chest stimulation)

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 04:27:42 PM »
"lolifying" your ignorance doesnt change the fact that its impossible to isolate outer vs inner chest. dont spread lies.

changing grips on benchpress has benefits yes, but not due to shifting focus to inner vs outer pecs. one of the real benefits are: that changing "angles" helps to stimulate the muscle not because it hits one part vs another..but due to new "nerv reqruitment". (thats one of the few bb myths that is true: hitting a muscle from several angles is good..not because your gonna change the shape of the muscle but due to "new nerv reqruitment") 

also a wide grip will feel different (as opposed to a close grip) because of the stretch and less tricep involvement..but that hasnt anything to do with changing the shape of the pectoralis major. (other than the fact that too close grip takes away alot of chest stimulation)
You seem awfully hung up on this topic and can't seem to grasp that I have not and never have said that I am "isolating" any part of my chest, but accentuate or "recruit" a certain area more.  That is what I have always said.  I never said I can or have changed a muscle shape, but like I said before before switching to my current grip my chest was developed more on the outer portions.  As the grip has come in closer, the inner chest seemed to grow more.  My max has not changed much so the added weight is negligible as far as I am concerned. 

Like I said, you can argue this point in the other thread but I am just trying to give the kid advice based on my experience in lifting.  I do have my beliefs on how different exercises work but you can start a thread about that if you like and we can have a discussion there.
Squishy face retard

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 04:34:17 PM »
You seem awfully hung up on this topic and can't seem to grasp that I have not and never have said that I am "isolating" any part of my chest, but accentuate or "recruit" a certain area more.  That is what I have always said.  I never said I can or have changed a muscle shape, but like I said before before switching to my current grip my chest was developed more on the outer portions.  As the grip has come in closer, the inner chest seemed to grow more.  My max has not changed much so the added weight is negligible as far as I am concerned. 

Like I said, you can argue this point in the other thread but I am just trying to give the kid advice based on my experience in lifting.  I do have my beliefs on how different exercises work but you can start a thread about that if you like and we can have a discussion there.

your beliefs dont matter , as it is an anatomical impossibilty to "accentuate" inner vs outer chest. upper chest yes. inner vs outer no.

the reason im being very clear about this is to teach all the young guys who constantly worry and ask questions about this.

focus on getting stronger with good technique..that will do alot more for you chest development than trying to "accentuate".

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2007, 04:41:37 PM »
You might miss out on your outer chest by not going low enough with the DBs/BB. Just a thought. Also Dips help, do them with your legs raised behind you, not straight down.
tank u jesus