Author Topic: Think I might get a Great Dane too someday  (Read 11788 times)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Re: Think I might get a Great Dane too someday
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2007, 03:54:12 PM »
I looked into Newfi's but they drool, so i got a Bernese Mountain Dog, 22 on the smart dog list, big as hell, double coat, super with kids, pull wagons, DRY mouth...fuzzy and love to be hugged. She's 75 lbs at 7 months.

not the longest-lived or healthiest dog in the world though . . . :-\ makes for a lot of heartbreak if you have kids.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 05:58:50 AM »
I always had dogs growing up and they were always outside.  Never in the house.  What's wrong with that?

I say why have a dog then?  Get a lawn ornament that doesn't poop instead.  Most dogs that spend their entire lives outside getting little attention. Now I suppose if you live in a climate where the weather is fine to be outside all the time, and adequate shelter is provided and are going to spend hours each day with the dog, and take it on walks and socialize with it, then it could work, but most people start out that way and then eventually they give attention to the dog only at feeding time.  Dogs are social animals.   Just because a dog is an "indoor" dog doesn't mean it has to have access to the whole house, mine don't.

If it is going to be a chained dog then I definitely say why have a dog.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 07:48:16 AM »
  I say why have a dog then?  Get a lawn ornament that doesn't poop instead.  Most dogs that spend their entire lives outside getting little attention. Now I suppose if you live in a climate where the weather is fine to be outside all the time, and adequate shelter is provided and are going to spend hours each day with the dog, and take it on walks and socialize with it, then it could work, but most people start out that way and then eventually they give attention to the dog only at feeding time.  Dogs are social animals.   Just because a dog is an "indoor" dog doesn't mean it has to have access to the whole house, mine don't.

I see alot of dogs when I walk plato that are outside 80% of the time.  I have the same exact view...why do you even have a dog?  What is the purpose of spending money on the dog, dog food, etc., to keep it in the yard and look at it?

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 10:42:35 AM »
I looked into Newfi's but they drool, so i got a Bernese Mountain Dog, 22 on the smart dog list, big as hell, double coat, super with kids, pull wagons, DRY mouth...fuzzy and love to be hugged. She's 75 lbs at 7 months.
Great looking dogs, HH6.  A longtime friend of mine is dog-crazy (she owns at least 6) and she has two Bernies.  Great dogs. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2007, 11:06:24 AM »

I've never had a dog that got very little attention and they all lived outside.  It's about 82-85 year round here, so weather isn't a problem.  I have a house full of kids, so attention isn't a problem.  Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  My dogs were never neglected.  The puppy I'm probably going to get at the end of the year won't be neglected either and he or she will live outside.  (Not sure what kind yet.)   

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2007, 01:00:51 PM »
I've never had a dog that got very little attention and they all lived outside.  It's about 82-85 year round here, so weather isn't a problem.  I have a house full of kids, so attention isn't a problem.  Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  My dogs were never neglected.  The puppy I'm probably going to get at the end of the year won't be neglected either and he or she will live outside.  (Not sure what kind yet.)   

I don't personally agree with it.  And I can't see leaving an 8 week old puppy outside by itself and not expecting it to whine and bark.  I can't see most responsible breeders allowing someone to take a puppy that is going to be outside 24/7. 

You do have a fenced yard I hope at least?  A chained dog is dangerous and cruel and in some places illegal to be chained for 24 hours a day.

To me a dog is part of the family, not an accessory. I hope your kids will realize that some people do allow dogs in the house and consider them family and might consider that if they have dogs when they move out.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2007, 02:12:30 PM »
dog's should be able to go outside so they can do "dog things" that they can't do inside like play and chase balls and bark and stuff

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2007, 11:00:22 PM »

I don't personally agree with it.  And I can't see leaving an 8 week old puppy outside by itself and not expecting it to whine and bark.  I can't see most responsible breeders allowing someone to take a puppy that is going to be outside 24/7. 

You do have a fenced yard I hope at least?  A chained dog is dangerous and cruel and in some places illegal to be chained for 24 hours a day.

To me a dog is part of the family, not an accessory. I hope your kids will realize that some people do allow dogs in the house and consider them family and might consider that if they have dogs when they move out.

Yeah flower I am not even going to touch this topic, haha.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2007, 08:38:09 PM »

maybe beach bum was raised in the country? a lot of country folks i know have 24/7 outside (in fenced yard, usually) dogs . . . i even know of one dog that got bit by something (probably a rattler) and had to be put down. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2007, 10:58:57 AM »
Well..... if beach bum would provide that much attention to the dog and it wasn't going to be chained up I can't say that it is necessarily "wrong" but I still feel why have a dog then. 

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 11:07:20 AM »
Well..... if beach bum would provide that much attention to the dog and it wasn't going to be chained up I can't say that it is necessarily "wrong" but I still feel why have a dog then. 

maybe you and beach bum can come to a compromise of sorts and beach bum can put his dog on a bungy cord or something

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2007, 11:15:19 AM »
maybe you and beach bum can come to a compromise of sorts and beach bum can put his dog on a bungy cord or something

beach bum never said if the dog would be chained or not, I was just stating what would really make it unacceptable to have the dog out 24/7.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2007, 11:20:10 AM »
beach bum never said if the dog would be chained or not, I was just stating what would really make it unacceptable to have the dog out 24/7.

dog outside.........

BOING !!!!

dog inside.........

problem solved !

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2007, 11:44:14 AM »

::)

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2007, 07:43:44 AM »
Yo Beach Bum,,, You dont need to get a dog,,what you need is a good kick in your ass. You should pass on the dog. You dont seem like a very good pet owner or father figure. My dog is indoor and outdoor and even has his own temperpedic bed inside to sleep next to me.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2007, 01:42:40 AM »

I never chained my dogs.  I won't chain the new one.  My neighbor has two dogs and they both live outside.  There are dogs all over my neighborhood that live outside.  I've never really heard anyone say keeping a dog outside is inhumane. 

My dogs were always my buddies when I was growing up.  I suspect the new dog will be smothered by the kids, the same way they smother our two cats. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2007, 01:43:51 AM »
maybe beach bum was raised in the country? a lot of country folks i know have 24/7 outside (in fenced yard, usually) dogs . . . i even know of one dog that got bit by something (probably a rattler) and had to be put down. 

Well . . . I did live in the deep south for a short while.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2007, 01:46:09 AM »
Yo Beach Bum,,, You dont need to get a dog,,what you need is a good kick in your ass. You should pass on the dog. You dont seem like a very good pet owner or father figure. My dog is indoor and outdoor and even has his own temperpedic bed inside to sleep next to me.

Yo Jedi . . . you can kiss where the sun doesn't shine.  Before you kiss your bed buddy dog of course.  :)