Author Topic: taking time off....  (Read 1568 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
taking time off....
« on: October 12, 2007, 09:16:07 AM »
how much do you guys tend to lose when you take some time off?!  ???  I'm taking a break for aweek or so. My whole damn body hurts from as hard as I train and being off the sauce, I know I'm not recovering as fast as I did while on. I'm giving myself some time til my joints and just overall self feels ready to go at it again. Maybe a week or two tops...

You guys tend to lose alot of strength in that time? Or does it stay for the most part?!

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: taking time off....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 09:43:21 AM »
It will only do you some good especially if you're hurting.  You won't lose anything in aweek, if anything you'll come back stronger and more refreshed. I know it sucks,but you just have to listen to your body sometimes. It's better to rest for a week then push it and tear something and be on the shelf for 8 months.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 12:54:36 PM »
I've taken almost 2 weeks off due to job, stress, just plain sore and tired and finally (insert excuse here).

I didn't feel like I lost but I did infact come back stronger. Secret I think was to justify my "rest" I punished / eased my conscience by a keeping up with my daily food intake. (clean of couse) ;)

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 06:01:34 AM »
how much do you guys tend to lose when you take some time off?!  ???  I'm taking a break for aweek or so. My whole damn body hurts from as hard as I train and being off the sauce, I know I'm not recovering as fast as I did while on. I'm giving myself some time til my joints and just overall self feels ready to go at it again. Maybe a week or two tops...

You guys tend to lose alot of strength in that time? Or does it stay for the most part?!

I recently took 12 months off from training and I only lost 20 lbs - I thought I would lose more but I stayed stagnant at 210 for months before I returned to the gym a couple of months back.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 10:48:04 AM »
In a week you shouldn't much if at all. You may actually make gains as you recover.

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 03:55:28 AM »
Just come back after a teo week lay off, and have set a new pb with squat and deadlift.  Best thing I did as I felt as I starting to overtrain and become tired.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 04:52:23 AM »
1-2 weeks may be ok but longer than that i dont think is beneficial, then there need to be a period of lighter weights as it will be hard to pick up exactly where you left off
Z

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 07:04:55 AM »
How much you lose whilst not training is dependent on many factors; of course genetics are the top factor...
I hate the State.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 07:33:20 AM »
personally i dont lose weight as long as i keep eating, but say im at the top of my game as far as the poundages i lift and then too much time off it will be hard to get back at that same spot. longer time off is a pain in the ass mentally as i would have to lower weights + get some big time soreness the first couple of times.
1-2 weeks is probably necessary to get your mind off things and let the body heal once in a while. i usually dont plan for it, it happens as i go on vacation etc
Z

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 12:20:17 PM »
Iv'e been off since last thursday...and I feel 110% better. I feel ridiculously strong and eager to get back in the gym but it's only been a few days. I'm trying to decide to give it a full week or to get back in it again since I feel so much better. There's no soreness when doing anything, no soreness, ANYTHING! I'm this close to going in there after work for a back workout to see how it all feels. I dunno..what do you guys think?! It's been 4 days since I touched a weight..

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 06:25:03 AM »
i think you can give it another few days... you can spend that extra time getting your postcount up on getbig  :)
Z

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 03:48:36 AM »
I just finished a month off .

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 12:47:50 PM »
Sometimes taking time off, even up to a few weeks, is the BEST thing you can do.  Gives the joints and the CNS a break.  The body is in a constant state of entropy (it wants to stay at the status quo, not put on tons of muscle...which is why if you don't work out at all and are a natty, give it a couple three years and you will probably look like you did before you started lifting weights).  So depending on how long you lay off, you may lose some mass.  But muscle memory is a great thing and you can put it right back on in no time.  I've done this in the past...taken up to a month or two off to give my body a rest.  Then I hit the gym hard again and put back on my previous gains in a few weeks.  I've noticed when I do that, my body is more receptive to putting on even MORE gains than I had gotten before, strength-wise and mass-wise.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 12:49:42 PM »
Sometimes taking time off, even up to a few weeks, is the BEST thing you can do.  Gives the joints and the CNS a break.  The body is in a constant state of entropy (it wants to stay at the status quo, not put on tons of muscle...which is why if you don't work out at all and are a natty, give it a couple three years and you will probably look like you did before you started lifting weights).  So depending on how long you lay off, you may lose some mass.  But muscle memory is a great thing and you can put it right back on in no time.  I've done this in the past...taken up to a month or two off to give my body a rest.  Then I hit the gym hard again and put back on my previous gains in a few weeks.  I've noticed when I do that, my body is more receptive to putting on even MORE gains than I had gotten before, strength-wise and mass-wise.

I appreciate it bro.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 06:35:47 PM »

Nice post, I agree.

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 07:10:58 PM »

well, i was sick in july (virus) almost 3 months now....... lost 12 pounds.......

1 or 2 weeks i agree, but more..... nahhhhh ....... can't wait to go back
are you delusional?

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 07:40:26 PM »
I deload all of the time.  Makes me stronger, mentally and physically.

Jason

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 10:01:13 PM »
Currently about half way through a 2 week break. Gotta study and shit for my final exams. Feel better though, my footy injury to my knee was starting to hurt again, as was my elbow, so I'm not too worried about taking the time off. I'm starting up again on the 1st November and am doing HST in conjunction with a cutting diet. Looking forward to it.
No doubt about it...