Author Topic: How Much Are NPC and IFBB Judges/Officials Paid?  (Read 8370 times)

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
Re: How Much Are NPC and IFBB Judges/Officials Paid?
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »
Its not done for the $, its done for the "benefits".

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
You know, anymore the magazines are worth the most in terms of their being a good-looking, packaged presentation of hopefully good bodybuilding content.  They are like tangible sources of inspiration.  They are more enduring than online stuff.  So there's still value in them, if their layout and content looks good.  I just got every issue of Flex from 1993-1997 and I'm in the process of going through them and scanning everything that I consider good or having been largely missed by the online community.  There's alot of stuff in there that time forgot that should not have been.  I also got a couple of other notable ones from 1992 off of eBay.   

It's also serving as a good way for me to be building steam for my own training once I get over this tricep injury and consequent repair I just underwent.  

My point is that just because magazines are worth very little any more for information, there is still quite a bit of value to be had in them in terms of their being nicely-packaged, tangible sources of inspiration.  

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2007, 03:29:18 PM »
You know what else is interesting, is that back issues of any mag issued between 2000 and probably the present time isn't even worth looking at to me.  There is absolutely NOTHING in them.  I found several of them at this local supplement store over on Lincoln.  They sell them for 50 cents a piece and I grabbed a few of them as well.  Not one scan I make will come from them.  And it's really creepy looking at them because every guy featured in them is in the shits nowadays...either dead, or completely screwed...cautionary tales.  Now this perspective may have quite a bit to do with my most impressionable, formative years being between 1992 and 1996 or so, but I don't think there's anyone that wouldn't appreciate the images I'm gonna be posting from that time period moreso than they do the ones being taken today, save for very little exception.   

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2007, 03:37:06 PM »
Jeff always thought you would make a great writer,

hope that happens one day,

hows the arm doing?

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2007, 03:55:48 PM »
Jeff always thought you would make a great writer,

hope that happens one day,

hows the arm doing?

(OK this is just in case any of you are interested...)

Thanks bro.  Um it looks pretty good, not much pain with it yet...I'm still hoping it's gonna turn out ok.  I've seen several guys come back from tears better than ever so I'm trying to look at it positively.  Who knows, though; but I'm gonna try to make the most of it regardless.  I didn't even get it lifting, I did a backflip into a swimming pool about 6-8 weeks ago and I guess it shot me down to the bottom faster than I'd expected, or maybe it was more shallow than it should have been, at any rate I think my left arm took most of the impact when it hit the bottom, at which time it felt as though somebody hit the back of my left arm with a baseball bat....  ;D  ...anyway, my whole arm turned black and blue, it looked like Dorian's after his bicep tear, I was tripping for a little bit but then I got myself together and that allowed me to mature alot just right there...but the doctor said after he got in there that the tendon was pretty well preserved but that it was nearly completely off the bone, save a small area at the top and the bottom, so that's what helped everything keep shape.  He said he managed a really good repair though...this was almost 3 weeks ago.  I was in a cast for about 10 days now I'm in a splint that will allow me to increase my elbow's flexion range by 10 degrees every week for about 2 months he says...I don't know, I still see myself as kinda being on my own timeline with it, but I'll just have to see. 

Just in case any of you are wondering, I've yet to make any huge jumps in size, when I tore it I was around 235 but a little leaner than what I usually carry at that weight, regardless, now I'm still holding onto just over 222 and staying pretty healthy looking with a tight face with minimal upkeep.  I had a couple of workouts while still in the cast, including upper body stuff, but I kinda saw that as pathetic (denial) so I decided to take a couple more weeks off altogether.  Bout time for me to get back in there, though... 

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2007, 04:01:53 PM »
ive never read your comments before u sound knowledgeable and literate dont know what sort of negative damage your flamers have saved on you but Flex sounds like the best vehicle for those purposes you mentioned

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2007, 04:14:25 PM »
ive never read your comments before u sound knowledgeable and literate dont know what sort of negative damage your flamers have saved on you but Flex sounds like the best vehicle for those purposes you mentioned

I found it a bit ironic that the first back issue of Flex I picked up to read after my injury contained 1) an article detailing Dorian's bicep tear and his consequent training for that year's Mr. Olympia following his string of other injuries leading up to it, 2) an interview with Mike Christian regarding his descent into "cocaine hell," and 3) a lengthy write-up by Peter McGough about Mike Mentzer's legacy, including all the demons he faced at the close of his career that would ultimately linger until his death.  And those were all the subjects that fascinated me most the first time around reading them... 

Crazy.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2007, 04:19:15 PM »
what did Flex write about this month? :)

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2007, 04:25:37 PM »
what did Flex write about this month? :)

Ha, no idea.  I don't blame them, though...the industry's in a weird place right now, and has been for the past 3-4 years.  I'm sure it's been kind of awkward for them at the magazines seeing this whole internet thing take off like it has.  Plus, bodybuilding just isn't what it used to be by any means.  I think it's just a matter of digging in the right places for new content, though...maybe not just relying on all the conventional avenues for your material.  When the system fails the best interests of the sport maybe it's time to get creative.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2007, 04:30:20 PM »
i dont have a favorite company in the battle but as a consumer i can say my preference right now is MD because the interviews are better the website better and user friendlier than flex on-line.  definitely a transition period for bodybuilding in general.

Ricky

• Getbig III
  • bulldogs rule.
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2007, 04:37:53 PM »
Hello. I'm an NPC Florida Judge. We get $50 to judge an event.

Ricky

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2007, 04:41:50 PM »
Hello. I'm an NPC Florida Judge. We get $50 to judge an event.

Ricky

What do you consider your primary motivation then? 

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2007, 04:44:28 PM »
i dont have a favorite company in the battle but as a consumer i can say my preference right now is MD because the interviews are better the website better and user friendly than flex on-line.  definitely a transition period for bodybuilding in general.

I applaud Blechman's interest in expanding MD's reach these days, and they are obviously putting the most into content development these days.   

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2007, 05:26:39 PM »
i dont have a favorite company in the battle but as a consumer i can say my preference right now is MD because the interviews are better the website better and user friendlier than flex on-line.  definitely a transition period for bodybuilding in general.

MD saw the incredible growth of bodybuilding.com and made the wholesale choice to harness the unlimited power of the internet. 

Flex will eventually, they just haven't done it yet. 

In order for Flex to get back into the game, they'll have to adopt some of the guerilla marketing techniques currently being used so effectively by MD.  I know it goes against Flex's nature to mix it up with the common folk, but as sad as I am to say it, I think they need to take a page or two out of MD's book. 

lonewolf

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2007, 06:26:40 AM »
Judges are paid $100 per contest. $200 for an event like the Olympia. Airfare and hotel are also paid. All incidentals are paid for by the judgees. There is also a food allowance for about $50 a day. Judges usually have to pay for their transportation to and from the airport. This is for IFBB judges.

CRIS

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2007, 09:26:43 PM »
McJeff, running the risk to be called an ass-kisser by the inmates of teh asylum, I have to say that I became a fan of yours since your detailed thread/training log posts for your competition back in 2004 at mayhem - it was the only time i read that boring board!!!

Since then it seems like you have been through a lot, and I appreciate A LOT to see you are coming back slowly to the bodybuilding community. All this time I wondered if you had lost all the interest for bodybuilding. You shared an apartment with IFBB pro Mike Morris (who coincidently has ben through a roller coaster, too. How's he been these days, anyway? Any contact?) and used to report the LIFE IN VENICE better than anyone else that I 've seen in the boards and the mags. I see yourself like a true asset to getbig and the whole industry as well, and it's a shame the mags fail to see your talent, while keeping weak ass writers in their pay roll at the same time. Ron should giv you the blue stars...

Please, stay with us for longer this time around, and PLEASE, DO START THREADS with the 1992/1997 era!! It's my favorite, too, and it was the time period I started collecting FLEX magazines. I still have all of them, and it wasn't easy to pic them every month here in Brazil!!

Sorry for the look alike ass kissing post, but it was from the heart!! 8)
Reservations at Dorsia ?

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2007, 02:30:39 AM »
What do you consider your primary motivation then? 
i would imagine its the love of the sport

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2007, 02:40:41 AM »
The judges at this years Olympia all received an autographed Jay Cutler Mass Stack and a years subscription to FLEX.

Not mention pre and post judging blow jobs from madmaxx.

The Beef

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2007, 02:41:24 AM »
Not mention preand post judging blow jobs from madmaxx.

The Beef

are you suggesting madmax likes the penis?

Ricky

• Getbig III
  • bulldogs rule.
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2007, 08:02:13 AM »
McFarland:

davidpaul is exactly right, "its the love of the sport"

Ricky

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2007, 08:06:16 AM »
McFarland:

davidpaul is exactly right, "its the love of the sport"

Ricky

Because you wanna see what you consider good bodybuilding be rewarded, right? 

Ricky

• Getbig III
  • bulldogs rule.
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2007, 08:16:57 AM »
Yes

I try my best to score each athlete the way I feel they should be placed, but as you can see if you go to the IFBB web site, they have the individual scores posted up from the Olympia, and there were as many judges disagreeing with eachother as there were fans who disagreed with eachother. We just do the best job we can.

Ricky