Author Topic: The best canned chilli?  (Read 2822 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: The best canned chilli?
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 02:44:20 PM »
My cupcake analogy was just to illustrate that you shouldn`t always eat what tastes good,but should eat for the best gains...............real chicken,lean ground beef,ground turkey breast, and turkey with kidney beans,tomato sauce,onions,spices,and chili powder is not expensive and is a lot better for you.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 04:55:14 PM »
My cupcake analogy was just to illustrate that you shouldn`t always eat what tastes good,but should eat for the best gains...............real chicken,lean ground beef,ground turkey breast, and turkey with kidney beans,tomato sauce,onions,spices,and chili powder is not expensive and is a lot better for you.
exactly Wes, you can make your own homemade chili with lean ground beef or ground turkey, pinto beans in the bag and some chili seasoning, i wouldn't eat that canned bullshit.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 08:26:36 PM »
When I make my chili, a little bit of this and a little bit of that ends up being an enormous pot (I usually end up transferring it into one of those big canning kettles).  While it's still hot, I put it into Mason jars.  The heat sort of "seals" them (ie; you get that little "pop" when opening).  It keeps a fairly long time in the fridge and what I figure I can't eat within about 2 weeks, I freeze.  Yes - you can freeze in glass jars.  Just make sure not to fill them too high - there needs to be room for expansion.
:

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 02:35:51 AM »
Finally two people that get what I`m trying to say!!  :)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2007, 07:56:03 AM »
i get what youre saying wes, but there are a lot of people on here that aren't 100% dedicated.
I guess my point is that compared to other things a person could be eating, this chili isn't so bad. 
I always stick to the basics and prepare all my food, but years ago in college, when I didn't, and had very little money, canned chili was a good choice.

thanks for the info though.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2007, 08:38:05 AM »
ive made my own chili a few times.
lots and lots of left over barbecued tri-tip cut up into 1 inch cubes. lots of chunky lean ground beef. 1 onion chopped up. a bunch of jalapenos. tons of chili powder, cayenne pepper, and pappy's seasoning.
for me...tis was heaven, as far as chili goes. but every one has certain things they like, and certain things they dont like.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2007, 10:14:31 AM »
i get what youre saying wes, but there are a lot of people on here that aren't 100% dedicated.
I guess my point is that compared to other things a person could be eating, this chili isn't so bad. 
I always stick to the basics and prepare all my food, but years ago in college, when I didn't, and had very little money, canned chili was a good choice.

thanks for the info though.
I hear ya` Coltrane.........not everyone is 100% dedicated and this isn`t all that bad,I`ve seen far worse food choices.

Train for your own goals......training may be perfect,but nutrition can always be improved in just about 100% of all people who work out.

That being said,I don`t beleive everryone should be obsessed with eating totally correct but if you are gonna` invest the time to train hard 4-6 times a week,nutrition should be a priority....one that you work on constantly to improve.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2007, 11:03:50 AM »
ive made my own chili a few times.
lots and lots of left over barbecued tri-tip cut up into 1 inch cubes.

Tri-tip must be a regional thing cuz I can't get it around here.  I've had it in California.  I heard it is very lean.  What cut is it?  Could it go by another name?
:

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2007, 11:29:52 AM »

Tri-tip must be a regional thing cuz I can't get it around here.  I've had it in California.  I heard it is very lean.  What cut is it?  Could it go by another name?

yes its a very popular cut of meat here in california. its bottom sirloin. and yes its comparitivaly lean to other cuts of beef. here in central california its very fairly priced as well. i dont know any other names for it...except, of course, delicious. :D

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2007, 03:11:52 PM »

skirt steak.