Author Topic: wrist straps  (Read 2691 times)

Deadpool

• Getbig V
wrist straps
« on: October 17, 2007, 05:30:38 PM »
just got a pair

up till now I had never used them

should be good to increase back workout poundages

thoughts?
X

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: wrist straps
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 05:51:33 PM »
Always good to use on back day as the grip will usually give out long before the back is fully taxed.

Work your grip on a seperate day for those posters who always bitch that straps cause a weak grip. :)

As a bodybuilder,my back is being judged onstage not my grip but I do train my forearms and grip also.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 06:44:38 PM »
might also help if you get pump in forearms which i personally hate because that prevents me from working my back to the fullest

always amazed at the whole idea of getting pump is so wonderful when at times it stops you from working out properly
Z

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 09:14:49 PM »
Just like a belt and wrist wrap or knee wraps....it's just another tool in hte box!!! Dont' let it be an end all though, only use them whenever your grip is legitimately failing out and you're unable to finish the set. If you hafta use them to be able to focus on moving the weight and not worry about your grip go for it. I'd prefer to use chalk but you cant chalk up on ever machine or lift in most gyms because it makes a big ass mess. Looks liek one big ass coke party. 

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 10:47:12 AM »
just got a pair

up till now I had never used them

should be good to increase back workout poundages

thoughts?

good for higher rep stuff like 20 rep deads,but if you're using them for everything (pull ups.pull downs,pullups) you're cheating your bi's and forearms out of a workout

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 12:38:32 PM »
good for higher rep stuff like 20 rep deads,but if you're using them for everything (pull ups.pull downs,pullups) you're cheating your bi's and forearms out of a workout

Holy shit, I know you didn't just say you are cheating your Bi's out of a workout during your back routine....fool. I use the straps because it almost completly takes my bis out of the mix making my back do all the work.
gotta love life

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 01:01:02 PM »
Holy shit, I know you didn't just say you are cheating your Bi's out of a workout during your back routine....fool. I use the straps because it almost completly takes my bis out of the mix making my back do all the work.

Do us a favor and don't ever give any advice anymore. That's got to be one of the most uneducated things in regards to training that I've ever heard anyone say.  Straps taking the biceps out of back work....I'd like to hear you explain that one off wiht any sort of intelligent argument.

Clown.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 01:15:24 PM »
Do us a favor and don't ever give any advice anymore. That's got to be one of the most uneducated things in regards to training that I've ever heard anyone say.  Straps taking the biceps out of back work....I'd like to hear you explain that one off wiht any sort of intelligent argument.

Clown.
exactly, straps have nothing to do with that.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 01:51:11 PM »

it ain't my fault you're a pussy

;D

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 01:58:33 PM »
Do us a favor and don't ever give any advice anymore. That's got to be one of the most uneducated things in regards to training that I've ever heard anyone say.  Straps taking the biceps out of back work....I'd like to hear you explain that one off Whit any sort of intelligent argument.

Clown.

you just contradicted yourself....on one hand you say you use straps to put the entire load on your back and then ya call me a fool for saying it helps take your bi's out of the equation (which is what you're saying)

think before you respond dipshit !

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 02:02:06 PM »
you just contradicted yourself....on one hand you say you use straps to put the entire load on your back and then ya call me a fool for saying it helps take your bi's out of the equation (which is what you're saying)

look fag, the goal IS to take your bi's out of the equation. That is a plus to using the straps. The less you are "grabbing" the bar the more emphasis is placed on your back.

You are saying to not use straps so that your bi's recieve a workout during your back routine...not exactly the goal
gotta love life

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 02:02:49 PM »

I think you qouted the wrong person there homeslice. I never once said that straps put the whole load on the back.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 02:05:09 PM »
look fag, the goal IS to take your bi's out of the equation. That is a plus to using the straps. The less you are "grabbing" the bar the more emphasis is placed on your back.

You are saying to not use straps so that your bi's recieve a workout during your back routine...not exactly the goal

Do you even know what strapps are for? You will never be able to take your bi's out of back work EVER! PERIOD! Straps are used to help supplement your GRIP when you're training to help you hold onto and handle heavier weight than you'd normally not be able to to better work your back OR if your grip ins't strong enough to keep up with the number of sets, reps, weight, etc. you might require to train your back with. Straps have ZERO to do with bi's..wtf you doing...using htem to hold your ipod nano around your arms for an armband?!  ???

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 02:07:29 PM »
l

You are saying to not use straps so that your bi's receive a workout during your back routine...not exactly the goal

no Einstein ,I'm saying if I'm in a rep range with deads (more than 12) I can see strappin up,but if you need to strap up for less you either need more grip work and need to stop relying on straps

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 02:08:27 PM »
no Einstein ,I'm saying if I'm in a rep range with deads (more than 12) I can see strappin up,but if you need to strap up for less you either need more grip work and need to stop relying on straps

GOOD POST!

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 02:09:08 PM »
Do you even know what strapps are for? You will never be able to take your bi's out of back work EVER! PERIOD! Straps are used to help supplement your GRIP when you're training to help you hold onto and handle heavier weight than you'd normally not be able to to better work your back OR if your grip ins't strong enough to keep up with the number of sets, reps, weight, etc. you might require to train your back with. Straps have ZERO to do with bi's..wtf you doing...using htem to hold your ipod nano around your arms for an armband?!  ???

read it again jackass...."because it almost completly takes my bis out"

I know it doesn't do so completely

However it is true that the less you grip the bar, the less your bi's are active
gotta love life

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 02:10:37 PM »

However it is true that the less you grip the bar, the less your bi's are active

thank you jackass......

a simple apology for wasting my time will suffice !

;D

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 02:14:36 PM »

I don't care about my grip strength..I keep track of my upper/lower arm relation. My forearms are plenty big, so when I use the straps...like it or not..I am pulling more with my back and my bi's are used less.
gotta love life

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 04:25:13 PM »
i tried using them couple of times for deads and rows but when you wrap them around a bar, the bar becomes thicker therefore making your grip weaker, at least this is how it feels to me.  now chalk is the only thing i use.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 04:27:26 PM »
they ball up in my hand, i like chalk too.

LENSNART

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 04:43:26 PM »
1. grip is dependant on finger strength not forearm

2. Improve grip do holds for 30sec or more with heavy weights

3.Most major biceps tears on deads, occur with the under grip hand. Straps and front grip take this issue away.

4. Strapless takes considerable concentration away from the main issue, and becomes, don't slip, don't slip, rather than pullllllllll

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 05:24:59 PM »
1. grip is dependant on finger strength not forearm

2. Improve grip do holds for 30sec or more with heavy weights

3.Most major biceps tears on deads, occur with the under grip hand. Straps and front grip take this issue away.

4. Strapless takes considerable concentration away from the main issue, and becomes, don't slip, don't slip, rather than pullllllllll

I got one for ya....

5...if you can't hold onto your 8 rep max without straps (with chalk) you probably have a womans handshake...

;)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 05:30:03 PM »
I got one for ya....

5...if you can't hold onto your 8 rep max without straps (with chalk) you probably have a womans handshake...

;)

Around here we call those "bitch hands"  ;D

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 05:32:51 PM »
Around here we call those "bitch hands"  ;D

around here we call em militarymuscle hands

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 05:34:36 PM »