Author Topic: DNA pioneer's theory: Africans are less intelligent than Westerners  (Read 7847 times)

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
Re: DNA pioneer's theory: Africans are less intelligent than Westerners
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2007, 12:38:45 PM »
"Biological differences among races do not exist, WU research shows":  http://record.wustl.edu/archive/1998/10-15-98/articles/races.html 
I've read numerous articles like this over the years. 

Skin color is determined by melanin and I'm unaware of any relationship between melanin and intelligence. 

Skin color is determined by melanin which in turn is determined by the persons DNA. That is my point.

The are facial, and bone structure differences between the races which again is determined by DNA.

What's to say brain capacity and/or intelligence isn't effected by genetic makeup? All I can see is the politically correct political enviroment of current.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2007, 12:59:40 PM »
Skin color is determined by melanin which in turn is determined by the persons DNA. That is my point.

The are facial, and bone structure differences between the races which again is determined by DNA.

What's to say brain capacity and/or intelligence isn't effected by genetic makeup? All I can see is the politically correct political enviroment of current.

Science says so.  Sounds like you're asking for proof of a negative.  You make a good point about differences in physical features among races and how this could make it more likely that there are also "brain capacity" differences as well.  Still, I believe environment plays such an enormous role in a person's intellectual development that race-based intellectual differences (if any) are pretty meaningless.  Also, I don't think there is a uniform, reliable way to measure intelligence.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2007, 01:17:19 PM »
There are different ways and areas intelligence can bve measured or developed:

Verbal/Linguistic

Logical/Mathematical

Visual/Spatial

Musical/Rhythmic I

Bodily/Kinaesthetic

Interpersonal

Intrapersonal

http://cookps.act.edu.au/mi.htm

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2007, 01:31:24 PM »
What? Most iq classifications only contain 8 standard deviations.

No most are 15 now. Also I had a typo african americans and latinos usually score.8 below the median scores. Which is really not too ba, but it shows reliability so that is a problem. Maybe we should ge Bill Cosby involved  :-X

Also just like Ozmo typed IQ is measured in 8 different types, often we never combine them. The father of IQ tests Binet never meant for them to be expressed numerically as they have now formed. Can you measure it in terms of Math? Yes, everything in essence is a mathmatical formula, just as language.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2007, 01:37:40 PM »
Do these studies take into account economic and cultural background? I mean what are they saying - are they saying that blacks are genetically inferior intellectually ? Or are they saying that in the current cultural context they are inferior intellectually?

Also another good point. The answer is No. SES is not taken into account in many of these studies. Empirically, it has been stated that SES has no effect on crime, IQ, etc.

This would be a correlations, but hey in hindsight it does account for something, otherwise or intuitions would account for nothing.

Social psychology although PC, leans towards saying that in a round about way. But nothing has been put together including all terms of genes, society, cultural, and economics. The Bell Curve studies only went SO FAR as to hypothesis, but with no clear indicators of experimentation.

Put that all-together in a secondary research paper...yea you got something that would lean in favor of saying just that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2007, 01:48:20 PM »
There are different ways and areas intelligence can bve measured or developed:

Verbal/Linguistic

Logical/Mathematical

Visual/Spatial

Musical/Rhythmic I

Bodily/Kinaesthetic

Interpersonal

Intrapersonal

http://cookps.act.edu.au/mi.htm

Some of those items (e.g., linguistics and math) are directly related to the quality of education and training a person receives at school and home.  And how do you reliably measure interpersonal and intrapersonal intelligence?  Those kinds of things can be all over the place.   

I ETA PI

• Getbig III
  • TAPPA KEGGA BREW!
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2007, 01:51:57 PM »
Yes, Dr. Ben Carson, He spoke at my sister's college graduation. He is off the meter. Since he is a Marylander,  we often get many stories about him on TV. I'm starting to agree as well.

He's a Marylander and a sell out. 
First sight of money and he's out of the hood.  Could be giving back to the community. 
I guarantee you won't see him hanging out in any downtown clubs.  He ain't even rollin on dubs.  Total sell out

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2007, 02:44:37 PM »
I keep going back to the fact that Africa is STILL an undeveloped continent (F.U. Kiwi ;D) whereas Europeans have branched out and now control the civilized world.

What does environment have to do with this? Africa has more natural resources than eastern Europe.

Why didn't they get on ships and conquer us?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2007, 02:59:29 PM »
I keep going back to the fact that Africa is STILL an undeveloped continent (F.U. Kiwi ;D) whereas Europeans have branched out and now control the civilized world.

What does environment have to do with this? Africa has more natural resources than eastern Europe.

Why didn't they get on ships and conquer us?

It's called Fucked up, Uneducated (and educated ones that think that they are better than others)  Dictators who put themselves in power---with first promises of bringing together the country, then f-ing over diff ethnic groups due their situations when they were pitted against one another during colonialism. And then their is the greed. BBC did a great docu on the Liberia situation.

I agree, though, Africa has the greatest source of natural resources than any continent, they could control th diamond, salt, and gold industries, if they put their minds to it. 

There is this one prince, whose country producing oil,  who it was shown, had crashed his Lambo in Paris, and took great pride in his monetary value, but in many of his countries village, the roads are not paved. I would take care of my people first, crash Lambos in Paris, second.

younggunz

• Getbig II
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2007, 03:04:43 PM »

What's to say brain capacity and/or intelligence isn't effected by genetic makeup? All I can see is the politically correct political environment of current.
i agree with you here, it is possible and infact i agree with you in that yes, DNA is everything and yes some people are naturally gifted in the brain department i don't believe that its enough to say that a race can be completely smarter than another. because we have the human brain factor that we all have the ability to learn and expand our brains if given the right tools and environment, if you wanted to become smarter their is nothing stopping you and the human brain is an amazing tool and completely individual, if a human brain has all its chips their is literally no end to how much info it can retain and in fact the more you learn the more open the door becomes it really has to do w/ ambition to learn and becoming smarter. THEIR IS NO CAP ON HUMAN ITELLIGENTS! by any race! AND their may be physical evidence that a certain race is genetically smarter but that all goes out the window when a certain individual wants to become smarter, The human brain is diff from any other creature on this planet in that we poses the ability TO LEARN! Its all about ambition to learn and becoming smarter, that simple. if u want  to jus argue about how genetically one race may be smarter than another go ahead, but in the end we all poses  a human brain

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2007, 12:33:04 AM »
the views we have on this subject are completely biased relative which time period we live in...of course since we live today we look around at the world and say 'of course whiteys are the smartest/best, look at europe compared to africa' and assume it always has been, and always will be, that way.

if we lived in 2500 BC the egyptians would be the master race, the ones who had civilization to make all otehr look laughable, who invented everything, etc..and look around and assume it had always been that way and always will be...

or we could go to 900 AD and clearly assume ethnically arab people, living in the height of civilization, advancing in science/knowledge/inventions etc. to be superior to the piss poor white man, who had always been living in squalor and darkness.

the way the world is today, with whitey supreme, is just the latest phase in a never ending cycle.

teh arabs had their time, the chinese had their time, the indians had their time, etc..right now happens to be whitey's time, but it hasnt always been that way and it wont be forever

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2007, 07:37:25 AM »

http://www.americancivilrightsreview.com/africanfailure.html

"AsianAmericans are smarter as a group than European Americans. Asians have anIQ of 103 IQ compared to 100 IQ for European Americans. Jews are the veryhighest. Jews have an IQ of 115 points. Probably as a result of their higherIQ, Jews have been the most productive people in the world for the sizeof their population. [If Hitler had utilized the Jews in Germany, he wouldhave won World War Two"

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2007, 07:47:04 AM »
I read a report a while back about the relation of evolution to intelligence and genitalia size (no serious), They said that the more evolved a race was, the smaller their genitals were and they were more intelligent. I guess that the asians are more evolved than the africans. As far as the Jews, they were from the origin of civilization, (middle east) so maybe they are the most evolved
gotta love life

Alex23

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2007, 02:18:58 PM »
I read a report a while back about the relation of evolution to intelligence and genitalia size (no serious), They said that the more evolved a race was, the smaller their genitals were and they were more intelligent. I guess that the asians are more evolved than the africans. As far as the Jews, they were from the origin of civilization, (middle east) so maybe they are the most evolved

The problem with this theory is that to dominate as a group, "intelligence" is a big factor but not enough. The asian have been isolated and might be smarter "brain power" wise but they lack in the charismatic and physical attribute department which prevents them from domniating like the west do. Have you ever seen a black dude "looking up to" an asian dude? The DNA dictates inferiority in a social situation.

The west is the mix that bests of alls. Do African or whites immigrates to Asian. No. Why?

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2007, 05:26:13 PM »
the views we have on this subject are completely biased relative which time period we live in...of course since we live today we look around at the world and say 'of course whiteys are the smartest/best, look at europe compared to africa' and assume it always has been, and always will be, that way.

if we lived in 2500 BC the egyptians would be the master race, the ones who had civilization to make all otehr look laughable, who invented everything, etc..and look around and assume it had always been that way and always will be...

or we could go to 900 AD and clearly assume ethnically arab people, living in the height of civilization, advancing in science/knowledge/inventions etc. to be superior to the piss poor white man, who had always been living in squalor and darkness.

the way the world is today, with whitey supreme, is just the latest phase in a never ending cycle.

teh arabs had their time, the chinese had their time, the indians had their time, etc..right now happens to be whitey's time, but it hasnt always been that way and it wont be forever

Awesome post.

Great post by alex23 also..

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2007, 12:40:46 PM »
The problem with this theory is that to dominate as a group, "intelligence" is a big factor but not enough. The asian have been isolated and might be smarter "brain power" wise but they lack in the charismatic and physical attribute department which prevents them from domniating like the west do. Have you ever seen a black dude "looking up to" an asian dude? The DNA dictates inferiority in a social situation.

The west is the mix that bests of alls. Do African or whites immigrates to Asian. No. Why?

Not to be a dick but I think trying to gain citizenship in some Asian countries is much harder than the opposite. I could be wrong though. I am fairly certain Japanese citizenship is extremely difficult to get.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2007, 04:40:58 PM »
you know what is weird?

when your donig a repeated measure design, in testing say how well a drug works ....

when you can't test the same person, you test matches, and you have to size them up to reduce variability, so you pick people with the same

IQ, gender, race

so it's always been a big talk in academia

this thread reminds me of blizzard man, from SNL lol

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2007, 07:15:04 PM »

dkf360

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2007, 02:05:14 PM »
Because it lacks the merit, entrepreneurial, and laws in place to allow people make money like the US.  If the Asian environment were similar to the US, you can be damn sure people will migrate there.  Actually, thanks to globalization, a lot of westerners are already moving to major cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Hyderabad...etc.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2007, 07:26:16 PM »
Determining intelligence is a tricky thing...first of all to answer those who scream about affirmative action, scholarships, and preferences, the fact of the matter is that whites in our society receive more preferences than any other group...whites have always had affirmative action...it was called discrimination ...where whites only hired whites, did business with whites,and excluded everyone else...

In terms of scholarships, and school preferences, the amount of scholarships and preferences given to blacks in comparison to whites is laughable...whites are able to get into the best schools because dad went to that school or dad writes a big scheck to that particular school...also because dad knows the administrators of said school and so dad greases the way for his son...also whites attend feeder schools which are schools where Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc choose most of their students from...schools which blacks are shut out from due to traditional discrimination or due to cost of attending

Meanwhile, the white kid who received a preference claims to have gotten in due to his "hard work" and condemns his school for giving a black kid a chance and calls it a preference...the facts are that blacks are made to attend inferior city schools which receive way less funding than suburban white schools...the education given to both is often uneven...but whites are in charge of all aspects of the educational system and also control all major institutions whether they be the judicial system, the federal government, the economic system, and everything else...so it's easy to pass judgment on those who you basically control...

Do all whites achieve such high status because they are all geniuses?..impossible..whites are over-represented in well-paying , high achieving jobs because of their connections and because of the preferences they receive due to their skin color... George W Bush and John Kerry got into thier wonderful colleges because of who they knew and because of who their fathers were...both were not good students..they actually both had D averages in college...Dan Quayle, who became vice president under Bush 1 was a D student also...but because they are white and rich and connected they got preferences...now look where they are today...powerful and rich... blacks and other minorities have no such connections and when they are given a break, everyone whines about it..maybe because it reminds whites of all the prefernces and breaks they get

Oftentimes many whites receive special tutoring which only they can afford in order to do well on tests....nobody talks about that....also believe it or not, education often does not matter in terms of how well people do their jobs...people learn on the job anyway...qualifications on most jobs are actually too high..also the funny thing about whites being upset with afirmative action and scholarships given to blacks is that these preferences were created by WHITES! It wasn't blacks who created these programs...and they were created because even whites had to admit that they engaged in discriminatory practices which effectively kept blacks and other minorities from being on an even playing field.

Lets face it...through all the crap about all men are created equal and so on, the fact is that whites created this system so that they would succeed...nothing wrong with that...it's human nature...but lets admit it and move on...it's so funny that whites are afraid of a black guy here and there who gets a preference even though blacks control only less than one half of one percent of the whole U.S. economy...a miniscule amount... This country was built on racism....pure and simple...

dkf360

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2007, 09:53:33 PM »
I don't think Whites are afraid of blacks succeeding, but protesting the fact that affirmative action gives preference to the 'less qualified'. 

For example, why should someone who worked hard to meet the requirements to enter an ivy league school be denied just so someone who have 'yet to prove their mettle' be given a chance?  All previous indicators would point to the former having a better chance at succeeding at the school (if we look at accomplishments, test scores, grades...etc).

RJW1966

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2007, 12:37:30 PM »
The man is 79 years old, and has that "Good Old Boy's" or Colonial mentality. Many his age still have those thoughts, it was fixed from his early days. You have to understand, some people only know what they know, and never get out of that box. You know, he probably still wears boxers with hearts on them, and thinks women aren't supposed to drive. And being a scientist, many only know science and not common sense, nor how to socialize, only dealing with each other, especially  at his age.

You find the same mentality in the AM South, where guys his age still refer to blacks as n iggers, and these are the ones who are taking care of these old folks.

As far as making all women pretty, notice he said women, chances are dude, wasn't a looker himself, but attractive-ness is about symmetry. The more symmetrical the face the the attractive the person, male or female, is. There was some Hollywood study and many women across all races and backgrounds, thought that Denzel Washington had the most symmetrical face. I don't see it, but hey  :-\.

If he wanted to have a propensity for attractive women, He should have checked Brazil ;D. But I'm willing to bet, this dude, has done his share sowing his oats with Indian and black women, cause many who make those comments, usually are the ones dabbling---He just told on himself ;)   

Sure, he is an old guy but I doubt your appraisal of the Dr. is accurate. He is old and merely forgot the old saying about "things we all know but do not talk about."

RJW1966

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2007, 12:39:55 PM »
u jackass's, its really simple! its all about how you are raised and the environment you are surrounded by. if you took a baby black/Latino.etc and raised them in a wealthy culture (private school, collage etc) and surrounded them by intelligent people guess what! most ppl are a product of their enviroment and to be honest if u did go by test scores and stats and what not, ya black ppl and Latinos, etc would def be lower on the intellect scale because of the environment and yes its that simple.

Many people are a product of their environment. However, this has little to do with one's inherent abilities only their options to maximize their potential.

RJW1966

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2007, 12:56:12 PM »
If Race dictated IQ, then there would be no inteeligent black kids, and no dumb white kids. And if a black kid was intellignet, it was due to the fact that he some white in him...much like what people said in the South. Supposedly WEB DuBois was intelligent because he was a Mulatto, but it doesn't explain how Benjamin Banneker was intelligent as well.

Completely missing the point.
No one can say "all people of xxx race are more/ less intellegent than those of xxx race." What has been tested, over and over, throughout the last 100 years is that as an average the median of intellegence scores are higher for one race over another. All races will have their exceptions in those that are extremely intellegent or ignorant. We are not interested in the deviations within these subgroups as much as the difference between races at the median, where most people lie.
Nature vs nurture is a completely different agrument and has been pretty much settled. I think we can all say that it has been established that enviroment has much to do with maximizing potential. But potential is much different than ability.