Author Topic: training with a cold  (Read 1903 times)

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
training with a cold
« on: October 21, 2007, 02:26:54 PM »
Had a cold for about 5 days, but still been training. Honestly, don't feel too bad in gym and no notable weight decrease, but fell like crap afterward. You guys continue training with a cold or do you take a few days off?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: training with a cold
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 02:40:55 PM »
i take days off
Z

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 03:39:30 PM »
If it`s a slight cold,I might train....all depends.

If it`s bad,you are probably much better off resting.......no sense in further lowering your immune system or spreading germs to other people in the gym.

bmuscle90

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 04:37:06 PM »
If it`s a slight cold,I might train....all depends.

If it`s bad,you are probably much better off resting.......no sense in further lowering your immune system or spreading germs to other people in the gym.

Pretty much the same.  I really dont like taking any days off even if i'm sick.  Usually if I just have a little sinus problem or something small then I'll do it.  If its something big and been bothering me for a while then I'll take off.  Do whats good for you.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 06:31:10 PM »
no sense in spreading germs to other people in the gym.

>:(
yeah  >:(
stay home >:(
:

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 06:35:02 PM »
It all depends on how bad it is. If it's just the sniffles then I'd train. But if it gets worse (coughing & such) I'll take a few days off to get better.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 10:06:10 PM »
If it is a full on cold then take a couple of days off. I had the same thing a while ago, felt ok in the gym but afterwards felt like shit. Couple of days off won't hurt.
No doubt about it...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 05:58:39 PM »
i feel i got a cold coming right now  >:(

sore throat
Z

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 01:03:26 AM »
Had a cold for about 5 days, but still been training. Honestly, don't feel too bad in gym and no notable weight decrease, but fell like crap afterward. You guys continue training with a cold or do you take a few days off?

If you ever feel a bug coming on, take time off until you get better.  Remember that any kind of intense physical activity--weight training, especially--really taxes the immune system.  If you're sick, your immune system is already compromised.  Don't do anything to make it worse.

FWIW, some of the worst flu's I've gotten have come the DAY after a high volume squat or back/traps routine.  Working the biggest muscle groups intensely tends to overload the immune system, and any bugs your body would otherwise be able to fight off without a problem, creep in and get the best of ya when you're at a weak point.

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 07:39:19 AM »
It all depends on how bad it is. If it's just the sniffles then I'd train. But if it gets worse (coughing & such) I'll take a few days off to get better.

Same.....i`ll doing my workouts as long as my strength don`t shrink......if i feel that i don`t be able to do a "normal workout" i cancel the workout.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 07:47:11 AM »
dont.  you can fuck yourself up real bad. (heart for example, myocarditis..which can cause death! )

and may infect others.

some real stupid posts in this thread. (charly69,bmuscle90,airosol)

edit: just to be clear:do not train if you have a cold. period.

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 09:23:55 AM »
from me "stupid" training for 27 years...and never was real ill in that time....my longest "off" from Training was 12 Days...that was on holiday....When i`m feeling real sick, i don`t go to the gym, but that happens maybe 3-4 times in 27 Years of training.
Sure, sometimes there is a thin line between "to go" or "not to go", but the Body tell you what`s right or wrong.
It`s also sure that Bodybuilders tend to overdoing things....but, i like to work out, and i see so many people which are only training from time to time, and telling "i was sick, i had this, i had that....and so on", and wondering why they never build a real muscular-physique.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 03:39:15 PM »
from me "stupid" training for 27 years...and never was real ill in that time....my longest "off" from Training was 12 Days...that was on holiday....When i`m feeling real sick, i don`t go to the gym, but that happens maybe 3-4 times in 27 Years of training.
Sure, sometimes there is a thin line between "to go" or "not to go", but the Body tell you what`s right or wrong.
It`s also sure that Bodybuilders tend to overdoing things....but, i like to work out, and i see so many people which are only training from time to time, and telling "i was sick, i had this, i had that....and so on", and wondering why they never build a real muscular-physique.

what you write has nothing to do with training with a cold. you should never train with a cold. end of story.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 07:57:36 PM »
Ive heard some people say that vigorous training with a cold can result with the immune system weakening, resulting in the possibility of the cold staying for longer. I don't know about that, but yeah, have a cold, take a couple of days off. It ain't gonna hurt you.
No doubt about it...

untamedsense

• Getbig II
  • Bigger, Better, Badder!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 04:38:17 PM »
A cold???  I kept working out with walking pnemonia...10 days before I knew that's what it was, and 2 weeks after/during.
Those who play with cats; expect to get scratched!

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 06:26:09 AM »
you arent supposed to trai with a cold..
my mom"s a nurse and she always tells me its weakening the bodys immune system..
i still train right through it though.. but i know i shouldnt..
choice is an illusion

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 11:22:31 AM »
Isn't there some general rule of thumb about if it's above the neck, you should be ok but just drop the volume down (sniffles, headache, etc), but if it's into the neck or lower (coughing, flu, congestion) to wait it out and just rest?  I don't remember, whatever it was sounded smart enough at the time.

IMO, take a few days and chill.

skullcrusher

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 01:23:35 PM »
Without a doubt i take time out as it lowers your immune system and you will probably feel worse, sometimes does u good to take a little time off. ::)

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 06:21:20 AM »
weakened immune system, inflamation, and high temperature - common cold symdromes - will put tramendous stress on your joints and heart if you train in this condition
this is not merely unwise - it is actually dangerous
witnessed a player taken to emergency with near-heart failure back in the day when i played club rugby...the guy came to a practice session with flu....40 mins down - near cardiac arrest....20-odd years old, healthy guy.
so, don't experiment