Author Topic: Kettlebells: Pros and Cons  (Read 7665 times)

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Kettlebells: Pros and Cons
« on: October 24, 2007, 03:01:38 PM »
These have started to "appear" at my gym.   ::)

So before I leave my normal routines..what does everyone think of using them, and what muscle groups are worked the best with these?  If deemed good, links to particular exercises would be helpful.

Thanks

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Kettlebells: Pros and Cons
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 03:16:05 PM »
theyre the in thing right now
Z

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 03:20:15 PM »
I've done one kettleball exercise, it was some sort of a row. You get in almost a pushup position and row with one hand and balance yourself with the other hand. It was kinda tough but I'm not really a fan of them.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 05:09:00 AM »
try them for one arm tricep extensions.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 05:10:13 AM »
another page
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 05:13:39 AM »
another
F

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 06:01:02 AM »
The great Alexeyev warming up with a kettlebell.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 08:14:13 AM »
excellent shots, keep 'em coming.

Not that I'd ever train with kettlebells mind
It hasn't helped...

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 02:19:01 PM »
you can also hold a kettlebell upside down and shoulder press with one arm, works your grip & wrist nicely

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 04:58:53 PM »
I think if youre an athlete or a competitor, the KB's are great.  I dont think a BB would get as good a benefit, purely physique wise.

Jason

Dionysus

• Getbig I
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 10:58:04 PM »
I think if youre an athlete or a competitor, the KB's are great.  I dont think a BB would get as good a benefit, purely physique wise.

Jason

Agreed - not great for bodybuilding,  but for functional strength thier great.

For those of you who do not like kettlebells, first off - have you ever tried using one?

If not - try some high repitition snatches with the 72lber and you will be a believer. Very different from a dumbbell.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 10:25:05 AM »
I for one don't understand the difference from a kinesiology viewpoint the difference between a dumbbell and a kettlebell.  How is doing a press with a kettlebell different from a dumbbell?  Maybe kettlebells are better for throwing like the picture of the great Russian Olympic lifter appears to be getting ready to do. Didn't dumbbells replace the kettlebell back in the day because they were more functional in more exercises?

I'm not buying any kettlebells until I get a answer why they are different than a dumbbell regarding athletic function.  I'm not buying an inflatable ball either unless I find my self unemployed trying to get a job balancing on one next to a seal.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 08:31:49 PM »
I for one don't understand the difference from a kinesiology viewpoint the difference between a dumbbell and a kettlebell.  How is doing a press with a kettlebell different from a dumbbell?  Maybe kettlebells are better for throwing like the picture of the great Russian Olympic lifter appears to be getting ready to do. Didn't dumbbells replace the kettlebell back in the day because they were more functional in more exercises?

I'm not buying any kettlebells until I get a answer why they are different than a dumbbell regarding athletic function.  I'm not buying an inflatable ball either unless I find my self unemployed trying to get a job balancing on one next to a seal.

You would have to try one to see.  If you think Im going to try to convince you to buy one, youre absolutely delusional.

Jason

Dionysus

• Getbig I
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 09:34:25 PM »

On paper a Ferrari and a Ford pinto are the same thing - a car that gets you from point A to point B.

It doesnt mean they are the same thing.

My advice - find a local Kettlebell instructor, or a sporting goods store that carries them - so you can try them for yourself.

Kettlebells ARE VERY different from dumbbells.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 12:31:15 AM »
To be perfectly honest, i have NEVER seen a kettlebell. I don't know, maybe there isn't many in Australia. Maybe back 60 years ago they were useful, but i don't see why anyone would use them today.
No doubt about it...

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 12:53:11 AM »
just use dumbells you can do the same thing with them as u can kb's and they are ALOT cheaper and just as good.

Kettlebells are just a fad, whenever something is "new" everyone goes crazy over it, then it dies down eventually.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 03:14:26 AM »
just use dumbells you can do the same thing with them as u can kb's and they are ALOT cheaper and just as good.

Kettlebells are just a fad, whenever something is "new" everyone goes crazy over it, then it dies down eventually.

Thats what i don't get though, kettlebells are so old. They have been around for like 80 years. I just don't see why people would still use them. They seem like they would be akward to use and the exercises that you perform with them hardly seem necessary these days.
No doubt about it...

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 04:09:24 AM »
i have used them. here ismy experience

Pros
-great for explosive power if you are a competitive shot putter etc javelin
-works grip really well builds strength in wrist
-swing snatches are fantastic cardio and for cutting up
-you can get a great workout without a lot of weight
-unreal for curls and shoulder presses, flys too

cons
-awkward at start and uncomfortable espec on wrist and forearm
-limited to building a physique for it
-exopensive
-if solely interested in bbuildinging dont bother at all

then again try them i did never liked them my mate on teh other hand loves them

he has 2x20kg bells a 32kg and a 40kg bell.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 10:18:31 AM »
You would have to try one to see.  If you think Im going to try to convince you to buy one, youre absolutely delusional.

Jason

What you just wrote is so bizarre it has me wondering what you're trying to convey.  Since I don't want you to convince me to buy them I guess I'm not delusional.  Not even absolutely. 

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2007, 01:11:29 PM »
What you just wrote is so bizarre it has me wondering what you're trying to convey.  Since I don't want you to convince me to buy them I guess I'm not delusional.  Not even absolutely. 

Sorry, I thought it was pretty cut and dry.  You want someone to convince you why theyre better.  Thats almost impossible to do if youve never used one.

Jason

ConanCarl

• Getbig II
  • CD
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 08:43:52 AM »
Great for explosive shoulder, core and back strength-great for hip power in sports-It helped my grappling and grip also-If I cant make the gym they are very convenient to own-I used them doing chest the other day two -if you won a pair of course-did bp flyes and pushup supersets -sore for days

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 08:30:03 PM »
I used them in Afghanistan. They were great for shoulder work because of the thick handles. didn't wanna press them because the handles aren't wide (think of a very gently sloping oval).

Just one more way to lift weight, no biggie

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 09:07:56 PM »
You must use Kettlebell to look like Classic Strongman... >:( >:( >:( ;)