Author Topic: Box Squatting: For Bodybuilding?  (Read 2530 times)

Detroit Muscle

• Getbig II
  • Les Miles, please
Box Squatting: For Bodybuilding?
« on: October 24, 2007, 04:18:36 PM »
I have never seen a bodybuilder do box squats before and only recently saw them done in the gym.  Is it more for powerlifting or good for bbing too?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Box Squatting: For Bodybuilding?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »
I have never seen a bodybuilder do box squats before and only recently saw them done in the gym.  Is it more for powerlifting or good for bbing too?
if you do reps it's great for bodybuilding, just like any other movement.

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 04:20:03 PM »
You can't do the weight unless you feel it first

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 04:22:25 PM »
Any and all movements will be good to do at one time or another. If not for development, at least for variety's sake.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
that's a big belief of mine, you have to do 1 rep before you do 2 and 3 before 4 and so on.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 04:24:03 PM »
For variety they are good. Honestly, I have never gotten a "pump" off of box squats, even in repetition.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 04:24:46 PM »
Any and all movements will be good to do at one time or another. If not for development, at least for variety's sake.
it's like any other movement, any exercise can be good for bodybuilding if you do enough reps and take the set to failure, box squats, deadlifts, cleans, high pulls, push presses, etc.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 04:26:58 PM »
it's like any other movement, any exercise can be good for bodybuilding if you do enough reps and take the set to failure, box squats, deadlifts, cleans, high pulls, push presses, etc.

Sure but its not something I would make a staple in my routine if BBing. Would you?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 04:28:55 PM »
Sure but its not something I would make a staple in my routine if BBing. Would you?
no i like regualr squats too much but they could probably give you a little more inner thigh and lower back development from the resting and then reflexing off the box and the wider stance.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 04:31:39 PM »

The main difference in box squatting for bodybuilding purposes is that you are starting from a dead stop-no momentum to help you out of the hole (unless you're rocking yourself off the box, which negates the purpose). This will make your muscles work differently, but though the development may be different from box squats, I can't see you having Platz like thighs because you did them instead of regular squats with a 2 second pause in the hole.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 04:33:22 PM »
The main difference in box squatting for bodybuilding purposes is that you are starting from a dead stop-no momentum to help you out of the hole (unless you're rocking yourself off the box, which negates the purpose). This will make your muscles work differently, but though the development may be different from box squats, I can't see you having Platz like thighs because you did them instead of regular squats with a 2 second pause in the hole.
see my post above yours.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 04:34:55 PM »
no i like regualr squats too much but they could probably give you a little more inner thigh and lower back development from the resting and then reflexing off the box and the wider stance.

I will say this though, they will enable you to lift more weight and thats good for BBing. Try Oly style front squats, tears up your inner thighs!

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 04:36:09 PM »
see my post above yours.

We were typing at the same time. ;)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 04:37:08 PM »
I will say this though, they will enable you to lift more weight and thats good for BBing. Try Oly style front squats, tears up your inner thighs!
i can tell you that i tried them a few years ago in the Westside BB style doing 8 sets of 3 with 30 seconds rest between sets sitting on a very low box maybe 11 inches off the ground and got a tremendous pump.

Bear

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 04:45:47 PM »

They are also good for rugby players etc. because you have to reactivate the muscle fibres each time after allowing a slight rest every rep, which is good for power in scrums and stuff like that.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 04:46:41 PM »
i can tell you that i tried them a few years ago in the Westside BB style doing 8 sets of 3 with 30 seconds rest between sets sitting on a very low box maybe 11 inches off the ground and got a tremendous pump.

Actually its 10-12 sets of 2 on Westside. Somehow it just didnt do that for me. Come to think of it I havent really got a pump from anything but chest work in the last few months. All I do is powerlift and events though, I miss BBing sometimes.  :'(

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 05:04:11 PM »
Actually its 10-12 sets of 2 on Westside. Somehow it just didnt do that for me. Come to think of it I havent really got a pump from anything but chest work in the last few months. All I do is powerlift and events though, I miss BBing sometimes.  :'(

it depends. some do 10x2, some 8x3, some pick one scheme for lower body moves and the other for upper, etc. of course keep in mind when the WSB guys do it they use bands/chains.

i'd say box squats are pretty worthless for a bodybuilder, unless for whatever reason you think your ass and hips are lagging behind. you'd be much better off sticking with olympic squats, and probably not a full ROM if quads are your target.

people bitch about bb'ers not hitting the full ROM, but compare the quads of a guy who hits 405x5 above parallel (and i mean just above, not a quarter rep) to a guy who hits 315x5 ass on the floor. sure it's more impressive to watch the latter, but chances are the former has bigger thighs.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 05:11:15 PM »
It depends slightly on the height of the box of course.

For some reason, boxes that are above parallell have become very popular at certain powerlifting clubs. ;D

With a lower box, there is a bigger ROM of course.

Then again, partial reps training can always be a good supplement, but as Magoo and several others are implying, ass to calves squats gets the best ROM.

The foot placing is also of importance. A shoulder width, or slightly more narrow stance, will target the quads very nicely. Opening up the stance, will involve the hip, the ass, the back et al.

JMO.
As empty as paradise

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 08:17:59 PM »
I just started Westside Style Training after 15-16 years of traditional bodybuilding training, mostly for a change. Box squats will hit your quads, it just depends on foot width. I go wide while doing them, just not as wide as a traditional powerlifter. But I've been getting sore in spots of my quads that have never gotten sore before. And they will definitely humble you on the amount of weight you can use. Coming to a complete stop and coming back up is no joke. If you've never done them, I'd cycle them in for the sake of variety every third workout or so. And remember,BRING THE PAIN BROTHERS, AHHRR!!!!!!!

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 03:54:58 AM »
no, almost useless for a bodybuilder.

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 02:43:04 PM »

What does this even mean?  Are you some random bro word generating bot?

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 02:46:25 PM »
I really don't see much reason to box squat as a bodybuilder.  Box squatting is a good tool to learn how to sit back into the squat, and a good way to learn to use your hips and hamstrings.

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 08:31:51 PM »
I really don't see much reason to box squat as a bodybuilder.  Box squatting is a good tool to learn how to sit back into the squat, and a good way to learn to use your hips and hamstrings.

Well how about this for a reason. Take a normal bodybuilder doing his normal routine for years and years, using progressive overload of course, because we all seem to use that, whether it be more reps or more weight. Sooner or later you WILL stall out. Now, start box squatting for 2-3 months, really concentrating on bringing up you max lift. Now switch back to a bodybuilding routine using your newly established max for higher reps with normal bodybuilding  style squats. Your new found strength will equal new size. We(bodybuilders) get to caught up with our routines, that anything other than the "norm" is unacceptable. Think outside the box, then squat on it. I'm doing it right now, while doing some extreme dieting, using WSBB Template, and am stronger now than ever. Try it, if anything, FOR VARIETYS SAKE!!!!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007, 05:58:39 AM »
I'm told box squatting will really help my deads..especially low box squatting...but is it hard to keep yoru balance? How do yo keep from toppling over withy any sort of decent weight? I tried to box squat 315 a few weeks ago and almost fell over backwards.  :(

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2007, 07:55:50 AM »
I'm told box squatting will really help my deads..especially low box squatting...but is it hard to keep yoru balance? How do yo keep from toppling over withy any sort of decent weight? I tried to box squat 315 a few weeks ago and almost fell over backwards.  :(
they will help your deadlift if you sit on a low enough box, i used to use a 10-11 inch box, what Louie Simmons says these and front squats do is create better position and more stability for the deadlift by building the lower back and posterior chain, it's not hard to keep your balance if you wear flat soled shoes, just push your hips and ass backwards and sit onto the box then re flex the hips, hamstrings and quads and push yourself off the box.