Author Topic: Did Patriots run up the score?  (Read 10920 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Did Patriots run up the score?
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2007, 08:26:40 AM »
YEAH...classy. Gimme a break. We need to play 60 min of football every week to make it and win the SB. BB is making sure his team plays 60 min of football every week to make it to the SB.
L

body88

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2007, 09:47:13 AM »
YEAH...classy. Gimme a break. We need to play 60 min of football every week to make it and win the SB. BB is making sure his team plays 60 min of football every week to make it to the SB.

If the pats took a knee to soon you know all the pundits and bitches would be saying how arrogant they are because they gave up so early. It never ends.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2007, 03:05:20 PM »
If the pats took a knee to soon you know all the pundits and bitches would be saying how arrogant they are because they gave up so early. It never ends.

It's pretty obvious the media's hate for BB has become out of control. ESPN runs a good v evil article with Dungy and Belichick, it's ridiculous. The problem is all these "experts" on ESPN etc.. have bigger egos than Belichick.

body88

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2007, 03:32:26 PM »
Thos classy colts would never run it up. The pats are just classless!

How's this for a four-game stretch of NFL greatness?

Globe front page

W, 49-14

W, 41-10

W, 41-9

W, 51-24

That quartet of one-sided scores comes to you courtesy of the 2004 Indianapolis Colts from a November-December period during which Peyton Manning and Company annihilated the Texans, Bears, Lions, and Titans, respectively. And, you know it's funny, I don't remember one person whining about them running up the score.

In fact, quite the opposite happened. The Colts were celebrated as the bright and shining star of the NFL. Following the 51-24 win over Tennessee, the Indy Star's Bob Kravitz wrote, "At this point, we're not just watching football anymore. We're watching history. Every week, the Indianapolis Colts' offense uses the football field as its canvas, and every week, it creates an art form that is distinct from everything else in the copycat NFL."

Flash forward almost three years, and the very same Kravitz wrote about the juggernaut New England Patriots, "In the last three weeks, New England has scored 48, 49, and 52 points, inspiring inquiring minds to wonder, 'Did the Patriots pile on?' And every week, the obvious answer is, 'Duh.'"

Whether the Patriots are needlessly running up the score on a weekly basis is open for debate of course, but not much. Tom Brady and Company are pounding teams to the brink of humiliation. At this level of the game, what's the problem with that? I get the feeling much of the national media would rather witness Bill Belichick coddle the opposition with concern for their feelings, stroking them with a false sense of concession compassion.

I can only imagine what Greg Easterbrook and the like might have written the morning after Wilt Chamberlain poured in 100 back in 1962, probably demanding an explanation as to why Wilt didn't sit out the fourth quarter against the poor, poor Knicks.

In any case, you might have noticed there's quite a clash on tap for Sunday in the new, touchy-feely National Football League, where bodies and spirits are demolished and demoralized on a weekly basis, but with the unwritten rule, apparently, that coaches shall exhibit empathy for the opponent, lest things get too embarrassing. It is the first time in league history that two undefeated teams have met this late into a season, and is likely a game of major importance in determining which team gets home field advantage in January's AFC Championship Game, a.k.a. the de facto Super Bowl.

It's the 8-0 Patriots against the 7-0 Colts, or "Good vs. Evil" as both ESPN and Fox have touted the past week in identical headlines.

Such a tired double standard exists when it comes to the Colts and Patriots. When it is the Patriots and Tom Brady that threaten the record-performances put up by Manning and the Colts in the past, folks start to get nervous. The love-fest that exists for Madison Avenue's favorite son extends to his coach Tony Dungy, a nice, congenial man who takes the time out every Sunday morning to bake for the team on the opposite sideline. Or so, we should think.

On the other side this weekend will be Bill Belichick, the gruff, maniacal genius who tends to videotape the opposition, gives curt answers at press conferences, and had his resume come into question when spy-gate broke earlier this season. The man hates cookies.

If you could predict any one statement to backfire this season, it would be when pundits began to question the past Super Bowl triumphs of these Patriots in the wake of spy-gate. You might as well have just handed them Mr. Lombardi's trophy right then and there, because it virtually guaranteed a perfect season. These are the same Patriots who take the slightest dig and turn it into a rallying call that William Wallace would envy. Question the validity of their crowning achievements? Like there wasn't going to be a price to pay for that.

But because the Patriots are the team – and coach – everybody loves to hate, there's something inherently wrong with winning big-time. After plain embarrassing the Redskins on Sunday at Gillette, 52-7, the hue began. "The Patriots are running up the score." "The Patriots show no class." "The Patriots are showing the game disrespect."

Please. As Gary Shelton wrote in the St. Petersburg Times, "Scoring 52 points doesn't disrespect the game; giving up 52 does."

You don't like it? Fine. Stop them. Do something to slow down the steaming, oncoming train that is New England. Can't do it? Tip your hat and call it a day. Or, whine about it into the ensuing days when you really should be preparing for your next opponent. Your call. But please do not try to make the argument that what the Pats are doing is bad for the game. It is certainly up for debate, but anyone who celebrated what the Colts did in 2004, then turns around and points the reproach finger at the Patriots isn't invited to the argument.

For the record, during that aforementioned four-game stretch for the Colts, backup quarterback Jim Sorgi threw exactly four passes. Patriots backup Matt Cassel, the man everyone argues should be in the game for junk time, lest the Pats further embarrass the opposition in the fourth – OK who are we kidding, second – quarter, has thrown five the last two games.

Remember that angry demand nationwide for Sorgi when Manning and Company were out there -- not embarrassing -- but showing good sportsmanship against their opponents with 30-plus point differentials?

Of course, everyone's complaints about this running up the score nonsense comes when the Patriots and Colts are set for another showdown, their first since last January's AFC title classic, the game that essentially prompted Belichick to award Brady with the toys he's never been privy to in the game. You got a problem with Caldwell, Tom. OK, here's Moss. Have fun, kid.

I fear what might happen if they run it up on the beloved Colts. There might be an investigation into whether Kraft legally bought the team 13 years ago. Maybe Indy will get another rule change instituted.

After beating the Texans, 41-9 on Nov. 14 three years ago, ESPN's Eric Allen addressed the issue as to whether or not Manning should have been pulled in the fourth quarter. "I don't think they should have for two reasons. One, right now Manning is extremely hot and has the opportunity to break a few very hard to reach records. It's nice to see a guy in the zone that much still on the field making it happen for his team."

That was then. That was Manning. When it comes to Brady and the Patriots, the story completely changes. For the Colts, it's history, and special. For the Patriots, it's smug and disrespectful. And for those waiting for Belichick's comeuppance, well, let's just hope you're comfortable.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2007, 03:35:31 PM »
. If they can do it against the Colts they will. BS calls, Polian whining all the time, rule changes etc.

;D  I can't wait. Stock up on beer so you can drink away your sorrows after they lose.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2007, 03:37:33 PM »
  you know...these guys are profesionals that make a whole lot of money... Who cares if they run up the score.They are big boys they can take it. Give me a break.they are not children who will be emotionally wounded for life from the humiliation of a good whooping on the football field. They are men. I say if you can score 50 points against the Colts more power to ya...If a team plays that bad they deserve it.

BOO f#$king hoo!! They ran up the score...waaa waaa.

That was then. That was Manning. When it comes to Brady and the Patriots, the story completely changes. For the Colts, it's history, and special. For the Patriots, it's smug and disrespectful. And for those waiting for Belichick's comeuppance, well, let's just hope you're comfortable.

It shouldn't be that way. These guys should be allowed to run their stats up as much as they can..good bargaining tool for more money later..

body88

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2007, 04:09:13 PM »
I agree. Let these guys play ball. I never whined when the colts had a historic O and the pounded people. How about the d. If you completely shut out a team should the d start handing teams touchdowns because they feel bad?Should a team take a few plays of so the opposing team can feel better they can't make plays...

Being a colts fan you know how it is. You have had a historic O many times. I applaud you being fair with your post. This whole evil running it up nonsense is 100 percent top sirlion hate served up by the jealous chefs of America. The chargers POUNDED the pats in 2005 , no one said a word.

I didn't see anyone talking when the titans relaxed and the Texans scored 30 points in the 4th quarter and almost won. If you cant stop a back up qb making simple throws and running his 5th string rb like in the skins game you don't deserve to whine. The skins had one of the best d's in the NFL.

But hey the easy way out is to point the blame on the evil bad guys instead of yourself. The thing that kills me is these same pundits throwing insults at the pats where the same people touting them as the greatest thing since sliced bread back in 04. The truth is people are sick of the pats winning so they are taking shots at them any chance they get. While teams like the colts who just won the big one are the darling "good" guys who in the past ran it up on people with the best of em.

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2007, 01:24:24 PM »
What the hell is running up the score.  This isn't a sandlot pickup game.  These are pro's.  They get paid and paid well to give it all they've got for 60 minutes.  What are they supposed to do?  Fumble on purpose, miss passes on purpose?  If the Redskins had any class or talent, they would of never let any team put a wooping on them instead of crying about how strong the Pats are and how they ran up the score.  Stop em, just try!
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2007, 03:04:44 PM »
What the hell is running up the score.  This isn't a sandlot pickup game.  These are pro's.  They get paid and paid well to give it all they've got for 60 minutes.  What are they supposed to do?  Fumble on purpose, miss passes on purpose?  If the Redskins had any class or talent, they would of never let any team put a wooping on them instead of crying about how strong the Pats are and how they ran up the score.  Stop em, just try!

I agree. Not to mention,as I said before..these guys should be allowed to run up their stats every chance they get..especially if it's "easy pickins" so to speak.That is their bread and butter..bargaining amo when their contract is up.

P.S. HEADHUNTER EVERYONE knows how much you love Polian and the colts...I dare ya to go put a bunch of crap on his wikipedia page. ;D     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Polian

I don't know how that works...I have heard just about anyone can edit those things...

body88

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2007, 04:21:41 PM »
How about the steelers putting big Ben back in late in the fourth while up by 30 points AFTER he was hurt? What about the cowboys throwing td passes late in the fourth up huge last week? How about those lions throwing td's while up by over 30 points to 0? Just more proof of the jealousy / biased opinions driving these unfair shots writers are taking at the pats. No one said these other teams where running it up ::)

Btw that whole 60 min thing worked out pretty good huh? Beli was not trying to run up scores. He was conditioning his team to go 60 full min. And while the refs where out of bullshit calls to screw the pats with , and guys like Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis where taking themselves out of the game due to exhaustion, the pats where pulling the colts heart out when it counted. Yet another example of arm chair qb's and bonehead agenda pushing writers looking like fools.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2007, 04:23:21 PM »
  who was complaining?

body88

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2007, 04:23:53 PM »
  who was complaining?

Have you been reading this board latley? The national media was ALL OVER the pats for running it up for weeks. When infact they where preparing for games where they need to play 60 full min. Like the afccg last year.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2007, 04:26:42 PM »
  yeah I read what you guys have been saying...I just don't pay that much attention to the media so I just wondered wgho "they" were..thought maybe the Redskins were whining or something.

body88

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2007, 04:31:39 PM »
  yeah I read what you guys have been saying...I just don't pay that much attention to the media so I just wondered wgho "they" were..thought maybe the Redskins were whining or something.

Redskins , dolphins etc etc. Most every talking head with a agenda. Anyone Belichick ever cut off in traffic. Anyone the pats ever cut. Anyone who ever lost a sb to the pats. The entire state of Indianapolis and New York.

Not talking about you since you are all class and unbiased. Infact you are prolly the most fair colts fan I haver ever heard speak. Kudos for that  ;)

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2007, 04:39:42 PM »
  I am not nearly as loyal as you are...they start sucking like they did when I was a kid and I root for someone else.hahahah

and man back then they stunk big time.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2007, 09:12:57 PM »
  I am not nearly as loyal as you are...they start sucking like they did when I was a kid and I root for someone else.hahahah

and man back then they stunk big time.

hahah, playoffs? playoffs?

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2007, 07:17:55 AM »
hahah, playoffs? playoffs?

took me a minute to get that...but I get it. :)  hahaha