Author Topic: MD loses Toney now Melvin announces he's signed with Weider  (Read 5352 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: MD loses Toney now Melvin announces he's signed with Weider
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 10:39:15 AM »
no.

I thought he had signed the contract a day or two before... or was it a day or two after? I remember thinking how "odd" it was.

Either way, I'd say they were in discussions with him prior to the O victory and probably had a verbal contract that he would sign.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2007, 10:51:04 AM »
I thought he had signed the contract a day or two before... or was it a day or two after? I remember thinking how "odd" it was.

Either way, I'd say they were in discussions with him prior to the O victory and probably had a verbal contract that he would sign.

But do you honestly think he wouldn't have won if he didn't sign with Weider? He blew eveyone out of the water in his first two wins, and it wasn't because of a contract with anyone.
I

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 10:53:12 AM »

But do you honestly think he wouldn't have won if he didn't sign with Weider? He blew eveyone out of the water in his first two wins, and it wasn't because of a contract with anyone.

I can not say that definitively, but had he said no, do you not thank a Shawn, Flex, or Kevin 'might' have gotten the nod... similarly to how Jay got the nod this year?

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2007, 11:14:14 AM »
MD guys finally realized - if you sign with MD, you're not gonna get your props at the Olympia, because guys signed with MD simply DO NOT win the Olympia.

You can go back in history.  They never give it to guys not with weider, cause they want to use them on covers of FLEX, M & F, etc.  They wouldn't dare give all that power to their competitor MD by giving the title to an MD guy.

Victor and Wolf are Md guys.
Didn't they both get screwed this year?

jay is a weider guy. 
Didn't he get a gift this year?

haney was an MD guy back in the day....
nasser=piece of shit

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 11:20:54 AM »
I think the conspiracy only really applies to the Olympia...

Further, it has to do with who ponies up the most money to promote the show.  If Bob had competed at the Olympia in less than stellar shape, it would stand to reason that he would get a gift.  This is not necessarily AMI related though.  If MD put up the most money, Victor may have won.

Just my thoughts and by no means and I saying this is fact, just a possibility.  I do not feel Jay was the top contender of the day.  However, reigning Mr. Olympias do tend to keep their placing.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2007, 04:03:59 PM »
At the end of the day, Wolf got screwed. Who cares about the rest of 2007.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2007, 05:02:39 PM »
I think the conspiracy only really applies to the Olympia...

Further, it has to do with who ponies up the most money to promote the show.  If Bob had competed at the Olympia in less than stellar shape, it would stand to reason that he would get a gift.  This is not necessarily AMI related though.  If MD put up the most money, Victor may have won.

Just my thoughts and by no means and I saying this is fact, just a possibility.  I do not feel Jay was the top contender of the day.  However, reigning Mr. Olympias do tend to keep their placing.

LOL....

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2007, 05:03:55 PM »
LOL....

Are you arguing against the very fundamental fact of life that money talks?
Bodybuilding Pro.com

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 05:39:04 PM »
....guys, guys.  You've all LOST.  Your MD Conspiracy Theory doesn't exist.  Bob's shown you, but if you were real fans of bodybuilding you'd already know the results, known their "allegiences" and this post would never have been written. 

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2007, 07:58:56 PM »
Muscletech has been around for quite some time now....why didn't it "buy" the title for Jay before?

ridiculous...

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2007, 08:15:06 PM »
Muscletech has been around for quite some time now....why didn't it "buy" the title for Jay before?

ridiculous...

While you have proven that being with MD doesn't kill your chances of winning pro shows, your apparent point of view that politics play no role in the IFBB is naive.  Politics play a role in everything in life.

Question for you: did you have Jay winning?
Bodybuilding Pro.com

MADMAX6

• Getbig III
  • Max Muscle Venice
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2007, 08:34:22 PM »
Was Ronnie signed with Weider when he won the crown in 98?

He was with Met-Rx
Check often for updates @

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2007, 09:43:02 PM »
While you have proven that being with MD doesn't kill your chances of winning pro shows, your apparent point of view that politics play no role in the IFBB is naive.  Politics play a role in everything in life.

Question for you: did you have Jay winning?

I had Victor in the prejudging...I had Jay at the finals....I had Ronnie Lower

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 09:51:45 PM »
you saw the prejudging? i thought you were mcing the womens? why the fuck was charles glass the mc and gunter the mc at night?

but more importantly.. WHY WAS CHARLES GLASS THE MC? That should never happena again.. please dont let it LOL

I watched the prejudging from the front row...as it was held BEFORE the Womens Finals....

Gunter and Charles proved color comentary with Dan Solomon for the live webcast we were shooting...

Neither MC'd anything..

rk272727

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2007, 08:15:43 AM »
i think md is a scam. they dont pay anyone much and they have 350 pages of advertisement. the articles or repetitive and boring.  steve bllechman has it figured out well. advertise advertise fedd the children crumbs. maybe the athletes need to stand up and say something.  the godfather steve owns their asses.................. wait the biggest issue ever in terms of advertisement
b

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2007, 10:50:50 AM »
I had Victor in the prejudging...I had Jay at the finals....I had Ronnie Lower

Chick, come on... You had Jay winning the O?

In that condition? You are a funny guy, I'll give you that much.

Keep cashing that AMI paycheck... I'm not a player hater, I'm a player appreciator.

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2007, 11:56:03 PM »
Quick note though....what WOULD happen if Victor actually won the O this last year?

Would FLEX be able to do any interviews with him, seeing as he's an MD athelete?  I'm sure they could have him in the contest review, but as far as an "Ask Mr O" collumn or something along those lines...it would complicate matters.

But recall that Jay was an MD athelete too about 3 or 4 years ago...and when he left, they let some true idiot write articles about Jay's bodypart training for a long time after Jay stopped the QnA articles.  Somehow Jay was signed with Weider but could still have that coverage in MD as well.

Anyway, what would happen?...that would be a novelty of sorts.

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2007, 12:33:29 AM »
I had Victor in the prejudging...I had Jay at the finals.

No you didn't.  ;D
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Manninen dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2007, 04:21:42 PM »
MD guys finally realized - if you sign with MD, you're not gonna get your props at the Olympia, because guys signed with MD simply DO NOT win the Olympia.

You can go back in history.  They never give it to guys not with weider, cause they want to use them on covers of FLEX, M & F, etc.  They wouldn't dare give all that power to their competitor MD by giving the title to an MD guy.

Victor and Wolf are Md guys.
Didn't they both get screwed this year?

jay is a weider guy. 
Didn't he get a gift this year?

Haney  ::)

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2007, 11:00:07 PM »

spot on, MD is gonna suck more than it already does. MuscleMag is the best IMO of all the mags out there.

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaha

how's life in 1993?

Moosejay

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2007, 03:17:53 AM »
Chick:

As far as Jay winning by only one point, that may be a truism, however:

I recently had dinner with one of the Olympia judges (very famous, legend in the sport, can't say much more for all will know his I.D.), and, at the judges meeting, he was AGHAST at the fact that some judges were considering Vic Martinez for the win.

My judge friend was truly crestfallen.

He asked his fellow judges, "How can you consider this guy to represent the title of Mr. Olympia? He is a convicted felon with many legal black marks against him. We simply CANNOT have someone such as him win Mr. Olympia."

And I agree with him.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2007, 03:25:37 AM »
Personally i am pretty confident that Vic will never win an Olympia. Have thought that for a long time.
No doubt about it...

Moosejay

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2007, 03:36:20 AM »
Remember, even Arnold was thunderously angry that Martinez won this past year's ASC. This was so because nearly simultaneously, Martinez was in the media prominently for his drug and Gold's Gym Debacle indiscretions.

And, naturally, with Arnold being who and what he is, wanted NOTHING to do with such nonsense. He simply cannot simply be connected in ANY WAY with such a wayward and sinister fellow such as Martinez.

And, for the record, by physique alone, I do not see the attraction to Martinez. He barely makes the top 5, in my opinion.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2007, 03:37:12 AM »
Well, lets take a look at the '07 schedule:

Ironman-
SAC Pro-Winner: Toney Freman/ MD

ASC-Winner- Victor/ MD

Colorado Pro-Winner: Kai Greene/ MD

Europa Pro- Winner: Silvio/ AMI

NYPro- Winner: Branch Warren/ MD

Montreal- Winner: Darrem/ AMI

Keystone- Winner:Dennis Wolf/ MD

ACPro- Winner: JOJ/ AMI

Santa Susana- Winner: Paco Batista/ ----

MD- 6 wins
AMI-3 wins
NON- 1 win

OLYMPIA-

Jay- AMI
Vic- MD
Dex- MD
Ronnie- AMI
Wolf- MD
Melvin- MD
Silvio- AMI
Gustavo- MD
JOJ- AMI
David Henry-AMI

Seems like MD had the upper hand in terms of placings....to think there is any conspiracy for or against anyone with a pubs contract is ludicrious at best...Guys sign with diferent pubs for a variety of reasons, first one being a better offer (money wise), second one being associated with a particular company for personal reasons (dont agree with the philosophy, etc)...

No different than any other sport....
I agree with Chick on this...I do not believe there is a bias....

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2007, 03:39:22 AM »
I can not say that definitively, but had he said no, do you not thank a Shawn, Flex, or Kevin 'might' have gotten the nod... similarly to how Jay got the nod this year?

thats the thing about bbing. in essence, their physiques are all similar: muscular, ripped, well proportionned and displayed well, and they all have points that the other guy doesn't have. take almost any olympia and anyone in the top 5 could have won without much negative feedback. that's how jay can win, because he's the biggest. that's how big guys who arent as ripped can win, and how smaller guys who are more ripped can win. unless it's a jocelyn plettier winning over a dexter jackson, no one can flat-out say that it was a 100% gift, cause there's always something that one guy has above the other, which can and will be used as a reason why they should win.