Author Topic: how many people dont pyramid their weights up?  (Read 4501 times)

dragonheart

• Getbig III
how many people dont pyramid their weights up?
« on: November 04, 2007, 02:42:42 PM »
I rarely add weight after each set.  I usually stick w/ the same weigh for all 3-4 sets and just do an extra 2-3 reps on the last set.

bmuscle90

• Getbig II
Re: how many people dont pyramid their weights up?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 02:50:12 PM »
I do all the same reps and weight.  Should I be adding a few more reps as I go through the sets?  Discuss.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 03:01:02 PM »
those egyptians were on too something man, im telling you
Z

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 03:27:27 PM »
Most sets I go up in weight.  Don't feel like I'm training hard enough If I don't.  What ever works for you go for it, sometimes more reps at lighter weight is better.  Change things around and experiment

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 03:50:22 PM »
I don't pyramid either.
I always try to get 10-12 reps for 3-4 sets on most exercises.
Of course i want to make progress so i usually try to add more and more reps each workout, and after a couple of weeks the weights go up and build up the reps again. Slow and steady progress.

Make sure you're warmed up well
$

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 11:54:56 AM »
1 Pyramide on the 1. exercise of each muscle-group, but don`t rep out until i reached the weight which
would be my 1. real and heaviest set (everything before was just warming up). After this set i will go to another exercise or do another set with the same weight, or just 5 - 10 % less to get the same rep-range or a bit more reps.
On the next exercises i may only use 1 warm-up set, and the 2. Set would be the 1. hard set....
Same on 3rd exercise, or 4th (depends how much volume i will do)

Last back workout for example, T-Bar rows

2 Plates for 15 Reps (35 lbs. plates)
4 Plates for  6  Reps
6 Plates for  4  Reps
8 Plates for  3 Reps
10 Plates for 2 Reps

1. real hard Set

11 Plates + 10kg (22 lbs) for 5 reps

2. real set 10 Plates + 5 kg for 7 reps

next exercise, exercise cable-rows, low pulley

8 x 275 lbs (125 kg)

real set 9 x 396 lbs (180 kg, Stack + Dumbell + 5 kg Plate)   

next exercise, just lighter more reps, ....and so on

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 12:16:19 PM »
I pyramid on all my compound movements.
Only things like curls or French press do i just warm up and do a couple of sets of the same weight.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 04:21:40 PM »
I pyramid up on my first exercise, then pyramid down for the remaining exercises.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 08:28:50 PM »
i feel some people fuck up with pyramiding so they spend too much energy before their final more demanding sets
Z

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 10:13:18 PM »
To avoid pre-exhaustion on the compounds by doing tons of "warmup" reps, I will do minimal reps working up to a near-maximal weight and then pyramid down in the form of drop sets.  Makes the drop sets feel very light compared to doing them without going heavy first.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 05:46:11 AM »
I always pyramid up in weight while dropping reps..................go tta` work both type of muscle fibers.

I agree with Bluto though,don`t overextend yourself on the lighter sets...........put all you have into the heavier ones then comeback down in weight on the last set and rep out.

Best of both worlds repwise.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 06:09:16 AM »
I usually always try to increase my weight per set.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 06:03:35 PM »
Lately, instead of adding more weight I've just been adding more reps per set - just for a change of pace.

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 10:59:44 AM »
depends on how i feel, but i find when i do that, i tire quicker and have no energy left for the bigg ass benching stuff!

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 07:39:19 PM »
I usually do 2 warm up sets of 12-15 reps with low weight, next set is a 2 rep set with added weight to get the muscle group ready for heavy load, then do 3 working sets of 4-6 reps of heavy weight.

ConanTheLibrarian

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 02:38:24 PM »
I alway pyramid up.  I don't see the benefit of doing three sets of an exercise at the same weight.  Doesn't seem productive.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 03:06:51 PM »
You're right because that should read 2 working sets, not 3, being in a hurry for the loss =)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 09:35:29 PM »
With the usual pyramid it often seems like a bit of a waste of time and energy getting to the good stuff.

I prefer a descending pyramid, getting to the point early on with the heaviest weight and intensity early after a good warmup. Or as some have said here keeping the weight the same and concentrating on the reps.

Good to change it up though and try each one for a while, just to shock the body.

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 01:53:43 AM »
I alway pyramid up.  I don't see the benefit of doing three sets of an exercise at the same weight.  Doesn't seem productive.
What's so productive about doing sets with weights that your muscle can easily carry. I don't think that stimulates much muscle growth...

I'll sometimes do one or two sets on lighter weight, but that's usually to warm up decently, and get the blood flowing.
$

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 04:00:14 AM »
I change my set and rep scheme every 4-6 at the most 8 weeks and I usually alternate between a pyramiding program and a straight set program.  Doing the same thing all the time isn't very productive and it's also boring.

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 11:27:51 PM »
I only do warm up sets and then a couple heavy sets.  Maybe i'll lower the wieght after I get weaker.  I do more like a reverse pyramid usually cause If I go all  out of course i'll be weaker later not stronger.

ConanTheLibrarian

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 01:30:05 PM »
What's so productive about doing sets with weights that your muscle can easily carry. I don't think that stimulates much muscle growth...

I'll sometimes do one or two sets on lighter weight, but that's usually to warm up decently, and get the blood flowing.

How does doing pyramid training equate with "weights that your muscle can easily carry?"  Just because you do pyramid sets doesn't mean that you don't max out on a set or two of your top weight.  If your max is, say, 50 in DB curls, then doing a set of 35's to warmup and then 40s or 45s and finally 50s, with a set or two of less weight afterwards to completely flush the biceps with blood, will stimulate muscle growth as much and probably more than doing a warmup set or two and then doing 3 sets with the 50s. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 02:51:45 PM »

Agreed. The main thing in any pyramid is to get a nice warmup, but not to expend too much energy in doing so. Whether pyramiding up or down, really all you need is some sets to get things warm, then go 100%, in my opinion.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 09:52:06 AM »
Agreed. The main thing in any pyramid is to get a nice warmup, but not to expend too much energy in doing so. Whether pyramiding up or down, really all you need is some sets to get things warm, then go 100%, in my opinion.

with that being said i dont know about anyone else here but 95% of the time i do a warm up set for know matter what movement it is...just for muscle memory to come in to play...then hit it 100% always but i do a  step down which i talked baout on ohter thread...i like it...

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 03:29:42 PM »
This is an interesting thread.

I always pyramid. BUT, when i do some supplemental arm work during the week (throw in some triceps with chest and Biceps after back- very little, like 6 sets) sometimes we just leave the same weight, and pump out tons of reps each set. the pump is insane, an entirely different feeling...

Makes me wonder if its worth eperimenting and just sticking to one weight and doing as many reps as you can for 3- 4 sets... I dont know!

With pyramiding, seems to get the best of both, kinda- Your first set is like a feeler, see how your stack up that day, then just jump 10-15 lbs per set... only bad thing sometimes it seems its the same ol pyramid for an exercise...have to change the starting weight, or jump 20 lbs just to make it different...