Author Topic: HST? Or something else help?  (Read 1928 times)

Aj123

• Getbig II
HST? Or something else help?
« on: November 05, 2007, 07:48:41 PM »
Hi guys im 21, 6'7" 240lbs Im wanting to pack on some size and strength... Ive been using a 4 day split getting some reasonable gains but just heard that 3 days a week doing upper and lower body work outs work really well to get what im looking for. I have roughly put together something but still really unsure about what im doing so if anyone could help that would be great!

Monday: Upper body

Pullups: 3x10
Deadlifts: 3x6-8
Barbell Rows: 3x6-8
Bench Press: 3x6-8
Incline Press: 3x6-8
Abs

Wednesday: Lower body

Squats: 4x8-10
Lunges: 4x8-10
Stiffleg deads: 8-10
Calf Raises: 4x8-10

Friday: Upper body

Pullups: 3x10
Deadlifts: 3x6-8
Barbell Rows: 3x6-8
Bench Press: 3x6-8
Incline Press: 3x6-8
Abs

NEXT WEEK REVERSE SO I TRAIN LOWER BODY TWICE.

Will this work or am i way off?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: HST? Or something else help?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:05:06 PM »
shoulders seem to be missing. and arms but i guess you feel you dont need to work that directly
Z

Aj123

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 08:11:15 PM »
Yea thats what i was worried about... But i feel if i add all that its just going to be too much for 1 day... And when i was looking at some sample HST training it doesnt look like enough...

Its really comfusing me because i want to do a 3 day split to pack on some size and strength

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 08:17:20 PM »
I could help you tomorrow, too busy right now. but some guidelines.
-prioritise
-can have different days where you prioritise different body parts or parts of the same muscle.
-pay attention to muscle groups being worked in compounds, if you're doing many sets of rpessing for chest you shoulders will need little in addition to that, for example.
-Choose few exercises, do more sets.
-keep variety in reps, again you can prioritse certain rep ranges but do keep variety (4-6 rep range and 10+)
-Supersets for smaller bodyparts can be used to save time.
-Can also alternate anatagonistic muscle groups to save time.

Cant think of more improtant one's right now, but HTH  :)
follow the arrows

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 09:45:58 PM »
Well i've just started HST, so i can't yet tell you if it works or not. HST is 3 times a week and each session is a full-body workout, but you only do 1-2 sets per exercise each session, so you do as many sets as you normally would on a 3 or 4 day split, the only difference is that HST splits them over the course of 1 week. So if you were to go to the gym and do 12 sets all up for chest, HST is doing the same amount, just spread over an entire week, not just in a single session.

As for strength gains on HST, again too early to tell, but the main purpose of HST is for size, hence the name Hypertrophy Specific Training. From what i have read, some strength gains are expected, but again, the main goal for HST is size.
No doubt about it...

Aj123

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 02:18:02 PM »
Still really confused about all this... Haha

Sorry  ???

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 03:35:49 PM »
Look, HST would most likely work, but it does take some time to set up your program, as you have to choose exercises which you will use and also work out the weights you will workout with each session. You have to find out your 15,10,5 rep maximum. And every workout you gradually work up towards the maximum.

Its hard to explain without going into deep detail, so check out this site;http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

It will tell you all you need to know about HST. If you still don't want to do HST, try a push-legs-pull system, 3 times a week, seem to be pretty good.
No doubt about it...

Aj123

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 01:09:20 PM »
I like the idea of PUSH-LEGS-PULL

The main thing im confused about with HST is all the organising it together

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 02:08:01 PM »
Yeah, it does take a fair bit of organising and setting up to begin HST, so maybe if you want give it a go later on, but yeah for now do PUSH-LEGS-PULL, very simple and straightforward to follow.
No doubt about it...

omgsoswole

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 10:15:58 AM »
I like the idea of PUSH-LEGS-PULL

The main thing im confused about with HST is all the organising it together

if you're not a details man you could just apply the general idea of HST to your training, without bothering to follow it to the letter.  i.e. only one or two sets per bodypart...three times a week...progressive weight...play around with the rep schemes etc.

Re: your workout in your first post, you might want to replace the inlcline with a shoulder press (db or bb, whatever), and if you're set on doing some incline you could alternate it on a weekly/monthly basis with the flat bench.