Author Topic: HST Question  (Read 1168 times)

Arnold Palmer

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • LET ME OUT OF TIME OUT NEED ADVICE GETTING GYNO!!!
HST Question
« on: November 09, 2007, 07:50:37 AM »
For each 2 week period of HST you are supposed to lead up to your maximum weight for that particular rep range

example:
Bench max at 15 reps = 250

Therefore you 2 weeks of lifting at 15 reps should look something like this:
Mon - 225x15
Wed -230x15
Fri - 235x15

Mon -240x15
Wed - 245x15
Fri - 250x15

My problem with this is that how are you making any progress during that 2 week period if you just end up lift what you could already do?

Wouldnt this be more effective:

Bench max for 15 reps = 250

Mon - 230x15
Wed -235x15
Fri - 240x15

Mon -245x15
Wed -250x15
Fri - 255x15

I just feel that after two weeks of lifting there should be atleast some progress made or else you would just be lifting at a capacity that is already attainable by you body

Should I just follow HST exactally and trust that it will work?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: HST Question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:00:32 PM »
For each 2 week period of HST you are supposed to lead up to your maximum weight for that particular rep range

I just feel that after two weeks of lifting there should be atleast some progress made or else you would just be lifting at a capacity that is already attainable by you body

Should I just follow HST exactally and trust that it will work?

It might seem that way, but for your first full cycle, follow the protocol and trust it.  The purpose of HST is hypertrophy.  The 15s prepare you for the 10s and so on.  Don't skip them and don't over do them just because the first few workouts seem easy.  Keep notes on your 5th & 6th workouts in each "mini" cycle so you have a good idea of what you want to do next time.  You might find a 2% increase is all you can handle.  It's not all about how much weight you're moving, it's about putting tension on the muscle.  250 will do that regardless of whether you could've done 255.  Trust it!  BTW ~ I would go with 10# increments on the bench, rather than 5# and if you can fit it into your schedule, try M W F Su T Th Sa M W F....
:

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 02:33:04 PM »
Bigger increments is better IMO.

By not overreaching at the end of the 15's, your first couple of workouts in the 10's will have more effect.
As empty as paradise

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 05:25:56 PM »
If its your first time doing HST, then id just do it as recommended. Im currently doing HST aswell, and whilst it is not aimed at really strength increases, some most likely will occur. But the idea is to follow the 1st cycle as it should be done, then for the 2nd one you will do the same except the weights for your 15's, 10's and 5's will be heavier.
If strength is your main concern, there are probably better training programs out there.
No doubt about it...

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 11:55:14 PM »
If its your first time doing HST, then id just do it as recommended. Im currently doing HST aswell, and whilst it is not aimed at really strength increases, some most likely will occur. But the idea is to follow the 1st cycle as it should be done, then for the 2nd one you will do the same except the weights for your 15's, 10's and 5's will be heavier.
If strength is your main concern, there are probably better training programs out there.

I had pretty good strength gains off HST actually.

But you are right, if strength is a main concern, a powerlifting routine, a strongman or an OL weightlifting routine should be implimented instead.
As empty as paradise

Arnold Palmer

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • LET ME OUT OF TIME OUT NEED ADVICE GETTING GYNO!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 01:13:53 PM »
Thanks for the info...

Should all the max outs be done at the begining of the cycle?

or before each two week period should i find my max for that number of reps

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 12:36:10 AM »
Thanks for the info...

Should all the max outs be done at the begining of the cycle?

or before each two week period should i find my max for that number of reps

If i understand you correctly, you should already know your rep. maximums (15,10,5) prior to beginning HST.

The hardest part of HST is figuring out, and writing down, what weights to use leading up to your maxes.
For example, lets just say your max (dumbbell) press for 15 is the 120's, then you will use the 60 for the first workout,70's for the second workout,80's for the third.......all the way to 120's for the 6 th workout, which will be your last 15 rep session before moving onto the 2 weeks of 10 reps. You probably already know this, but sometimes reading about HST can be confusing. I've just started my second week of HST (second week of 15 reps), and i gotta say, it really is a fun training program. Anyone looking for a change should really give it a go.
No doubt about it...