Author Topic: BROCCOLI!  (Read 6332 times)

gtbro1

• Getbig V
Re: BROCCOLI!
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2007, 08:22:48 AM »
hahahaha the chicken must be terrified!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Sure  He is....He's nothin' but a big chicken. :P

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 01:14:04 PM »
dude what the fuck is the point of microwaving a vegetable that your trying to eat for nutrtion? it destroys everything.
So you think that microwaving is worse than regular cooking?
Do you have a decent link or explanation for this?
Maybe some scientific research?

The way i see it, microwaving isn't that different from normal thermal heating. You just excitate the water molecules which transform the energy to heat.
$

Mazda323

• Getbig III
  • Guardian Angel
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 01:38:55 PM »
One of my favorites cheat meals!

I just boiled it, then i put it in a large plate, i add a can of tuna, one small boiled skinless potato, i mix with one whole egg, mayonese, fried beacon and fresh olive oil!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 05:25:03 AM »

The way i see it, microwaving isn't that different from normal thermal heating. You just excitate the water molecules which transform the energy to heath.

You missed the point entirely. The point is that the best way to eat broccoli is raw. All forms of heat treatment, cooking or microwaving, destroy most of it's nutrients.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2007, 08:54:07 PM »

The way i see it, microwaving isn't that different from normal thermal heating. You just excitate the water molecules which transform the energy to heath.

you dont have a sweet clue what your talking about do you? admit it? thermal heating? what other type of heat do you use for cooking? there has been research on microwaving and its mutagenic properties, its not the same type of heat as open flame, convection etc...

fruits and veggies should be consumed raw or lightly steamed with a little crispness to them indication the cellulose is intact indicating many of the beneficial polysaccharides are still formed and not denatured, plus it makes evolutionary sense also.

eat it raw did like sucky says.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2007, 09:04:45 PM »
you dont have a sweet clue what your talking about do you? admit it? thermal heating? what other type of heat do you use for cooking? there has been research on microwaving and its mutagenic properties, its not the same type of heat as open flame, convection etc...

fruits and veggies should be consumed raw or lightly steamed with a little crispness to them indication the cellulose is intact indicating many of the beneficial polysaccharides are still formed and not denatured, plus it makes evolutionary sense also.

eat it raw did like sucky says.

So I have read but for myself, I hate the taste of broccoli and I force it down my gullet because it is just such an all around vegetable. Without lightly steaming it I woldn't be able to swallow it. What do you advise?
I hate the State.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2007, 09:14:27 PM »
BROCCOLI SUCKS

hope this helps

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2007, 09:15:14 PM »
One of my favorites cheat meals!

I just boiled it, then i put it in a large plate, i add a can of tuna, one small boiled skinless potato, i mix with one whole egg, mayonese, fried beacon and fresh olive oil!

hahahaha your cheat meal is healthier than my best regular meal. :)

suckmymuscle

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2007, 09:27:31 PM »
So I have read but for myself, I hate the taste of broccoli and I force it down my gullet because it is just such an all around vegetable. Without lightly steaming it I woldn't be able to swallow it. What do you advise?

There is some scientific research that postulates that steaming broccoli and spinach slightly increase the bioavailability and iatropic absorption of the nutrients contained by causing microscopic fissures in the fiber of the vegetables, allowing the hydrochloric acid in the stomach to better dissolve it, which results in better absorption through the GI while not destroying the nutrients, but there is just as much counter-evidence that this does not happen. To play it safe, eat it raw. If the taste is too appalling, then steam it. It won't be as nutritious as it is raw, but the difference is slight. :)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2007, 10:27:31 PM »
  There is some scientific research that postulates that steaming broccoli and spinach slightly increase the bioavailability and iatropic absorption of the nutrients contained by causing microscopic fissures in the fiber of the vegetables, allowing the hydrochloric acid in the stomach to better dissolve it, which results in better absorption through the GI, while not destroying the nutrients, but there is just as much counter-evidence that this does not happen. T play it safe, eat it raw. If the taste is too appalling, then steam it. It won't be as nutritious as it is raw, but the difference is slight. :)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

As I said, I find raw broccoli disgusting.
I hate the State.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2007, 06:03:59 AM »
As I said, I find raw broccoli disgusting.

I agree.

I find that it's better to eat lots of cooked broccoli versus eating no raw broccoli at all. 8)
As empty as paradise

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2007, 07:06:22 AM »
you dont have a sweet clue what your talking about do you? admit it?
If i knew everything about it i wouldn't be asking questions, smartass.
$

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2007, 08:26:22 AM »
If i knew everything about it i wouldn't be asking questions, smartass.

its good to ask questions but you where giving advice on something that firstly is wrong, and secondly is something that your pulling out of your ass. merry christmas bitches.

relax its not that serious. ask candadizzle

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2007, 09:14:45 AM »
its good to ask questions but you where giving advice on something that firstly is wrong, and secondly is something that your pulling out of your ass. merry christmas bitches.
relax its not that serious. ask candadizzle
Well, i didn't give any advice so your first line doesn't make sense.
But i accept your apology.  ;D
$

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2007, 10:01:42 AM »
Well, i didn't give any advice so your first line doesn't make sense.
But i accept your apology.  ;D

happy festivus :D

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2007, 10:34:12 AM »

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2007, 12:46:41 PM »
you people are way too fucking articifialized and consumerized.... you have let the coproations and big business food industry manipulate your minds into only appreciating processed foods with a bunch of either 1) trans fats, or 2) simple sugars.

enjoying broccoli is like enjoying nature, and your body....a broccoli eater has an appreciation and joy in their body and gets to partake in healthful guilt free eating all the time.   

:D

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2007, 02:07:11 PM »
you people are way too fucking articifialized and consumerized.... you have let the coproations and big business food industry manipulate your minds into only appreciating processed foods with a bunch of either 1) trans fats, or 2) simple sugars.

enjoying broccoli is like enjoying nature, and your body....a broccoli eater has an appreciation and joy in their body and gets to partake in healthful guilt free eating all the time.   
HAHAHAHAHA
$

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2007, 02:47:12 PM »

Did all the cocain you did go to your brain? :o
I hate the State.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
  You missed the point entirely. The point is that the best way to eat broccoli is raw. All forms of heat treatment, cooking or microwaving, destroy most of it's nutrients.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Most of its nutrients?  That's a little extreme.  Average vitamin loss range from about 10 to 25% in most cases.  Cooking destroys some nutrients, yet enhances the absorption of others. For example, by cooking your dark green leafy vegetables, studies show you may be destroying half of the antioxidant carotenoids. At the same time, cooking may double carotenoid bioavailability.  In the end your body might wind up with the same amount.  Cooking might reduce cancer risk by destroying some of the pesticides  in non-organic produce, but cooking also destroys enzymes that  have beneficial effects.

The bottom line is; we should eat a combination of both cooked AND raw vegetables.

Oh, and BTW ~ a manager at Trader Joes said there was a broccoli shortage  :(  anyone else heard that?

:

suckmymuscle

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2007, 11:16:28 AM »
Most of its nutrients?  That's a little extreme.  Average vitamin loss range from about 10 to 25% in most cases.  Cooking destroys some nutrients, yet enhances the absorption of others. For example, by cooking your dark green leafy vegetables, studies show you may be destroying half of the antioxidant carotenoids. At the same time, cooking may double carotenoid bioavailability.  In the end your body might wind up with the same amount.  Cooking might reduce cancer risk by destroying some of the pesticides  in non-organic produce, but cooking also destroys enzymes that  have beneficial effects.

Cooking most definitely destroys a great part of the nutrients in most vegetables. This is not debatable. Even when the loss is of only 10%, you'll still be throwing away part of the nutrients, so I don't know how this serves as a consolation prize.

As for absoption, I mentioned that there are studies that show that steaming broccoli slightly increases the bioavailability of it's nutrients, but that there are as many studies that show that this does not happen. To play it safe you should eat it raw. The Human Being is an animal in terms of physiology, and animals don't eat cooked foods. Just because we developed brains that tell us that cooking certain foods makes it taste better is irrelevant in terms of health. Nature doesen't care about your palate.

The bottom line is; we should eat a combination of both cooked AND raw vegetables.

This statement of yours makes absolutely no sense. If cooking increases the bioavalability of nutrients while destroying some of it, then it is neutral in terms of benefit - you get the same amount of nutrients as raw vegetables give you in the end. So eating a combination of raw and cooked vegetables will give you the same amount of nutrients as eating all raw or all cooked vegetables. Notwithstanding, what we know suggests that eating it all raw is better.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2007, 11:38:54 AM »

This statement of yours makes absolutely no sense. If cooking increases the bioavalability of nutrients while destroying some of it, then it is neutral in terms of benefit -
SUCKMYMUSCLE

Its pretty hard to claim a neutral total effect from steaming or cooking unless we know the "health" value of each nutrient (that we can determine with certainty), which nutrients are destroyed and which become more bioavailable as a result of steaming or whatever. One must also calculate the net benefit effect on the substances that recieves both an increased bioavalability (+) and destruction of some of the amount of the original substance (-).  Only then can you make such a claim of neutrality in terms of benefit.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2007, 07:15:48 PM »
  If cooking increases the bioavalability of nutrients while destroying some of it, then it is neutral in terms of benefit - you get the same amount of nutrients as raw vegetables give you in the end. So eating a combination of raw and cooked vegetables will give you the same amount of nutrients as eating all raw or all cooked vegetables.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Personally, I could never eat the amount of raw veg that I do cooked, so in that respect, I'm getting more nutrients, not to mention, they taste better  :P

~btw cooking has been shown to increase the absorption of b-carotene and lycopene
:

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2007, 07:36:16 PM »
Personally, I could never eat the amount of raw veg that I do cooked, so in that respect, I'm getting more nutrients, not to mention, they taste better  :P

~btw cooking has been shown to increase the absorption of b-carotene and lycopene

raw is better from a enzyme etc point of view and is generally better for most nutrients and for our body to use etc. however, i agree that a mix is probably best, and warming stews and soups have medicinal properties.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2007, 09:48:18 PM »
I'm getting more nutrients

no, you're not getting more nutrients. Hope this helps.

~btw cooking has been shown to increase the absorption of b-carotene and lycopene[/color]

Waht about the 2,000 other substances that are dramatically redused by cooking? Waht a stupid trade-off if you ask me.

SUCKMYMUSCLE