Author Topic: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401K (2007 to 2022)  (Read 467616 times)

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
Re: Dow crash coming to your 401k..........
« Reply #925 on: May 19, 2008, 09:25:58 AM »
Lowe's falls 18%, hurt by housing market

May 19, 2008
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Lowe's Cos., the No. 2 U.S. home-improvement retailer, said Monday that its first-quarter profit dropped 18%, hurt by the declining housing market and a spate of other economic worries that cut into consumers' discretionary spending. 

guys, as long as "cooked numbers" continue to flow from our Government, this market will move higher...... on low volume.

keep in mind, it's an election year.  ;)

NT

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #926 on: May 19, 2008, 11:26:04 AM »
It's not a recession until the rich say it's a recession.

And the rich now say it's a recession.

The American Express Publishing Corp. and Harrison Group recently surveyed 638 well-to-do households, representing the wealthiest 10 percent of Americans. These 12 million households account for half of all U.S. retail spending and $4.1 trillion worth of consumption.

More than 90 percent of them indicated they believe the U.S. economy is in a recession or on the precipice of one.

"They are as down on the economy as you can imagine," said Jim Taylor, vice chairman of Harrison Group, which co-produces "The Annual Survey of Affluence and Wealth in America."

Here's what they said:

• "I think we are in for a long rough ride ahead," 73 percent.

• "My company is looking at cutting costs and could be letting people go," 48 percent.

• "I am looking closely at every spending category to see where we can save," 68 percent.

• "I usually wait for something to go on sale before I buy it," 82 percent.

High-end retailers are already feeling their well-heeled customers' pain. Last week, Nordstrom reported a 24 percent decline in first-quarter profit. And Whole Foods stock fell more than 12 percent after the company reporting a 13 percent decline in first-quarter profit.

Sales of luxury cars are down, and even some million-dollar homes are falling into foreclosure.

New consumer confidence numbers, reported Friday, show consumers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
at all levels are the sourest they've been in 28 years.
Falling real estate values, soaring gasoline prices, a flat stock market and tightening credit have taken such a toll we look back to an era of stagflation for comparisons.

Warren Buffett has said he believes we're in a recession.

Billionaire trader George Soros has said he believes we're in the middle of a popping "super-bubble" that has been building for the past quarter century.

"I consider this the biggest financial crisis of my lifetime," Soros told the New York Times last month.

When the rich feel pinched, they begin to manage risks more carefully, investing less in ideas that might actually create jobs and reinvigorate the economy.

"We're entering a period of serious risk management," said Taylor. "It's a very problematic sign."

When it comes to pinpointing the causes of the recession, the rich are no different than you and me. Here's what they said in the survey:

• "The real cause of this recession is the free and easy availability of debt in America," 81 percent.

• "Big banks and corporations have again put the whole economy at risk," 69 percent.

• "Poor leadership in Washington has brought about this recession," 68 percent.

• "I am concerned that America is becoming a second-class economy," 67 percent.

Perhaps this is a sign things have finally hit bottom and will start to turn around. Surely, we can't expect first-class people to live in a second-class economy.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #927 on: May 20, 2008, 04:18:09 AM »
U.S. stock futures sag as Home Depot profit drops

May 20, 2008
LONDON (MarketWatch) -- U.S. stock futures dropped Tuesday as Home Depot reported a 66% profit fall and as other leading retailers are expected to show the impact of the depressed housing market and rising gasoline prices on spending.

gber's, only non-government numbers will show the true extent of the US recession. all other numbers are spurious.

NT

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #928 on: May 20, 2008, 08:15:36 AM »
U.S. stock futures sag as Home Depot profit drops

May 20, 2008
LONDON (MarketWatch) -- U.S. stock futures dropped Tuesday as Home Depot reported a 66% profit fall and as other leading retailers are expected to show the impact of the depressed housing market and rising gasoline prices on spending.

gber's, only non-government numbers will show the true extent of the US recession. all other numbers are spurious.

NT

Holy shit! 66%! The housing market is doing better! Yay!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #929 on: May 20, 2008, 08:17:58 AM »
3 places in my town, there is a huge intersection with Lowes and Home Depot across form each other.

That is necessary during a construction boom, and very unnecessary when there is no construction.  It should be expected to drop when constuction drops.  66%... lol... that's nuts. 

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #930 on: May 20, 2008, 01:36:16 PM »
Stocks tumble on inflation fears

Wall Street posts big, wide-spread losses on inflation concerns, and big jumps in crude oil and gold prices.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks slid Tuesday, with the Dow losing nearly 200 points, as spiking oil and gas prices and a bigger-than-expected jump in a key inflation measure rattled investors.

i thought the government recently reported inflation was tame ?  ;)

Consumer-level inflation tame in April, U.S. says
May 14, 2008
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- U.S. consumer prices increased a moderate 0.2% in April with decelerating energy prices offsetting rising food prices, the Labor Department said Wednesday.
Excluding  food and energy prices, the core consumer price index increased 0.1%, the government said.
Inflation was just a bit weaker than expected. Economists had been looking for both the CPI and the core rate to rise 0.2%.

NT

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #931 on: May 20, 2008, 03:57:24 PM »
NT when do you expect the downward fall of the economy to bottom out?    It being an election year could mess things up for longer right??

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #932 on: May 20, 2008, 04:27:43 PM »
NT when do you expect the downward fall of the economy to bottom out?    It being an election year could mess things up for longer right??

Watch the price of oil.  It will not happen until the price comes down.  My good friend in the military told me that steps are being taken by the USA to develop Africa's oil.  Deployment of 40,000 troops to Africa is forthcoming.

I don't think people realize how serious 130 dollar oil is.  This will bring about the destruction of our economy.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #933 on: May 20, 2008, 04:33:11 PM »
Watch the price of oil.  It will not happen until the price comes down.  My good friend in the military told me that steps are being taken by the USA to develop Africa's oil.  Deployment of 40,000 troops to Africa is forthcoming.

I don't think people realize how serious 130 dollar oil is.  This will bring about the destruction of our economy.

True.  At the rate its going it could collapse the economy over time.  Oil might not be just a bubble if china and india keep demanding more.

We need to open our own fields...at this point even treehuggers would have to agree.

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #934 on: May 20, 2008, 06:20:41 PM »

True.  At the rate its going it could collapse the economy over time.  Oil might not be just a bubble if china and india keep demanding more.

We need to open our own fields...at this point even treehuggers would have to agree.

Even with drilling in the Artic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR), it will take 5 years to develop, and 15 years to hit peak production, so we are looking at 20 years before ANWR delivers its full promise.  Even then, the daily production of 500,000 barrels per day with current US consumption at 20 Million barrels/day is hardly going to put a dent in the situation.

We are screwed, there is no getting around it.

Stephen Leeb also makes a good argument that Iran, Saudi, & Iraq are grossly overstating (lying about) their reserves.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #935 on: May 20, 2008, 07:18:15 PM »
Guys, this is some whacked shit. We're at $130/bbl mother fvckers. Wake up.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #936 on: May 20, 2008, 07:25:10 PM »

Are you suggesting we knock India off the map?

I agree

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #937 on: May 20, 2008, 08:18:23 PM »
Warren Buffett, the world’s richest man and chief executive of conglomerate Berkshire Hathaway, on Monday said he thought the effects of the financial crisis were “far from over”.

Mr Buffett was speaking at a press conference in Frankfurt, where he is meeting German family-owned businesses as part of a four-country tour of Europe.

"It is rippling - there are secondary and tertiary effects. I think the Wall Street crisis is mostly over although I don’t know. The [Federal Reserve] with its Bear Stearns rescue largely stopped that. But I don’t think we are half way or even a quarter of the way through the impact in the general economy,” he said.

The “Sage of Omaha” said the effects of the crisis were beginning to be felt not just by those who had behaved the “silliest” but also now by people “who did sound things”.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #938 on: May 21, 2008, 06:08:26 AM »

all i will say is we're NOT close yet. housing, credit markets and oil need to stabilize before anything positive can occur to our overall economy.

being an election year complicates matters. manipulation of our stock market by the PPT is utilized to give americans a more "positive" feeling in the hopes they'll spend more and vote accordingly.

WH, when my indicators point to a turnaround beginning, i'll be the first to let you guys know.

now is not that time, IMHO.

NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #939 on: May 21, 2008, 01:07:23 PM »

i expect the market to fail @ the Dow 13,000 area.

NT

U.S. Stocks Extend Drop on Fed Minutes; Banks Fall 

May 21 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. stocks fell for a second day, led by banks and retailers, as the Federal Reserve signaled it is done cutting interest rates and record oil prices threatened to reduce profits at consumer companies.

Citigroup Inc., Bank of America Corp. and JPMorgan Chase & Co. sent the Dow Jones Industrial Average to its biggest two-day tumble since February. 

The Dow dropped 226.35 points or 1.8 percent, to 12,602.00. ;)  

NT 

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #940 on: May 21, 2008, 05:30:21 PM »
Guys, this is some whacked shit. We're at $130/bbl mother fvckers. Wake up.

sorry BD $133.00 per barrel as of today.  :o

NT

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #941 on: May 21, 2008, 05:31:18 PM »

sorry BD $133.00 per barrel as of today.  :o

NT

Yeah, I just caught that a little while ago. Heres some more good news.

The US Federal Reserve has cut its 2008 growth forecast for the US economy and predicted that unemployment will rise more than it had previously expected.

The Fed cut its growth forecast for this year by to a new range of between 0.3% and 1.2%, down from the 1.3% to 2% predicted in February.

The US central bank also said the jobless rate could reach 5.7%.

But further interest rate cuts seem unlikely as the Fed focused on the persistent threat of higher inflation.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #942 on: May 22, 2008, 03:07:57 AM »
Consumers can't save the economy

Americans are too deep in debt to lead the economy into a recovery, according to a new forecast.

May 21, 2008:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Consumers are too tapped out to lead the economy out of its troubles, according to a report on household credit released Wednesday.

Americans have little money on hand and banks aren't eager to lend anymore, said Scott Hoyt, senior director of consumer economics at Moody's Economy.com

It will also take years for consumers to straighten out their household budgets since their debt burdens are near record highs:o

i thought the government said last week inflation was "tame" and everything was great?   ::)

IMO, unless you understand how markets work, i'd be very careful. recent market rallies were all BS (sucker rallies) as my thread has pointed out on numerous occassions.

also, keep in mind the consumer accounts for 70% of all US economic activity. service economies (like ours) need a strong consumer. as you know, the US consumer is hurting bigtime, which will hurt corp. profits and drive stock prices lower.

WS is fully aware of the "cooked" numbers released by the Bush Administration on nearly a daily basis........so be careful !  ;)

NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #943 on: May 22, 2008, 05:18:15 AM »
Oil Rises Above $135 on Concern OPEC Is Powerless to Halt Rally

May 22 (Bloomberg) -- Crude oil rose to a record above $135 a barrel as OPEC ministers said they could do nothing to stop a rally that may be heading to $200 a barrel.
Oil has risen 19 percent this month as analysts increased their price forecasts because of supply constraints and demand growth. OPEC has ``no magic solution'' to the surge, Qatar's oil minister said. Prices are ``out of the hands'' of the organization, according to Libya's top oil official.

There's agreement that $200 is possible and that's getting more people into the market. 

guys, if oil tops $200.00 per barrel, forget a recession, start thinking the "D" word coupled w/ a worldwide market collapse.

NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #944 on: May 22, 2008, 05:41:44 AM »
ok guys check out the latest "cooked" numbers released by the Administration this morning. since the market has dropped nearly 500 points in the last few days, these "fixed" numbers are put out to force the short players to cover, prompting another BS rally.

U.S. weekly initial jobless claims fall 9,000 to 365,000
May 22, 2008

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- First-time claims for state unemployment dropped by 9,000 to 365,000 on a seasonally adjusted basis in the week ending May 17, the Labor Department reported Thursday. Initial claims were the lowest since the week ended April 5.  ::)

NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #945 on: May 22, 2008, 01:23:20 PM »
U.S. Stocks Advance on Drop in Jobless Claims, Oil's Retreat

May 22 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. stocks advanced for the first time in three days as an unexpected drop in jobless claims and the first retreat in oil prices in five days spurred optimism that the economy can avoid a recession. 

The Dow increased 24.43, or 0.2 percent, to 12,625.62. The Nasdaq Composite Index jumped 16.31, or 0.7 percent, to 2,464.58. More than three stocks climbed for every two that fell on the New York Stock Exchange.

NT

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #946 on: May 22, 2008, 04:04:37 PM »
Hey, this is more like youre own Blogsite in a thread.    Cool.  8)

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #947 on: May 23, 2008, 03:52:04 AM »

i expect the market to fail @ the Dow 13,000 area.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #948 on: May 23, 2008, 03:52:21 AM »

i expect Dow 12,500 to be our next stop on the downside.

NT

as expected, the market failed @ 13,000   12,500 to be our next stop on the downside IMHO.......if not lower.

a slow bleed out.......

NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #949 on: May 23, 2008, 08:46:25 AM »

the Government reported this morning that energy prices are decelerating and that inflation was weaker than expected.  ::)

please understand that these released numbers are totally fudged and not reality

these lies are designed to help Wall Street.....not Main Street.

IMHO, the FALSE Market information provided by this administration is CRIMINAL.

guys, compare my post on 5/14, to pimco's bill gross' statement on 5/22.

rarely does a high profile fund manager tell the truth

U.S. inflation understated, Pimco's Gross says

May 22, 2008
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The U.S. government has been understating inflation, which has led investors to misprice stocks, bonds and real estate[/u][/b], noted bond-fund manager Bill Gross said Thursday.

The real problem is not that the government publishes dubious numbers   but that investors believe them and make decisions based upon them, he said.

NT