Author Topic: form vs weight  (Read 1054 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
form vs weight
« on: November 12, 2007, 07:18:32 PM »
how the hell do you have any sort of good form with really really heavy weights... my example would be my barbell rows... i have a handful of good reps with good form with 405 but..when i get to 455 i get alot of leg drive in getting it up. I get a ridiculous pump in my lats and they're tired out when it's over but i start out bent over right and finish it pretty close to standing up at the top of the row.  My question is how the hell do you get to move big weight, stay balanced, and use what is supposed to resemble good form?! Especially when you're doing close to double your  body weight? ???

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
Re: form vs weight
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 12:37:42 AM »
use as heavy weight as u can with perfect form and you'll get big!

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 02:54:47 AM »
Id say a good median is the way to go. Use a heavy enough weight, and even if you have to sacrifice a bit of form then thats ok. As long as its not extremely loose form, then its ok. I too feel that with barbell rows. Whilst i cant do as much as you, whenever i feel like going a bit heavier, the form gets looser. So instead of being real bent over and focusing on squeezing your back, i find myself more upright, but i feel it more in my traps and upper back, so even though my form is loose, its still working the back.

But there are some exercises i feel that strict form should be used. For any beginner or even intermediate trainer, any curling movement should be done with strict form. You see way too many beginners doing cheat curls, when they should just focus on lighter weight.
No doubt about it...

blowitup

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 03:10:19 PM »
it sounds like you have been at it for a few years so i would use the best text book form for your first few sets then on your last heavy set do as many as you can perfectly and if you have to cheat a little bit to get the last few go for it-this of course goes without saying that it will only work for certain lifts

Andre Nickatina

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 05:52:20 PM »
405 for rows...  :o

Maybe i'm just weak, but that's a ton of weight!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »
405 for rows...  :o

Maybe i'm just weak, but that's a ton of weight!

it's all in perspective bro...lately i've been working out with a few guys that that's their warm up to 495 and even 585. Can you imagine seeing someone row 6 fucking plates per side?  I shook that man's hand and packed my shit and went home..that was after my jaw was picked up off the floor.  You think you see some shit at la fitness or 24 or planetfitness...they're called FITNESS for a reason because those people aren't tehre for the freak show. I went to a local powerlifting club to check it out and was in heaven. It's one thing to be teh man at the local ymca...until you get your reality checked cashed where the big boys work.

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 07:15:42 PM »
Wicked are these Smith Machine rows ? what is your range of motion ? quarter reps ?

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 08:10:33 PM »
Wicked are these Smith Machine rows ? what is your range of motion ? quarter reps ?

fuck no i hate the smith now. I used to live on it and the problems i thought it was helping..went away when I got off it.

and HELL YEAH BABY! 1/4 REPS IS WHERE IT'S AT! Where you been man?!

Andre Nickatina

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 10:54:52 PM »

it's all in perspective bro...lately i've been working out with a few guys that that's their warm up to 495 and even 585. Can you imagine seeing someone row 6 fucking plates per side?  I shook that man's hand and packed my shit and went home..that was after my jaw was picked up off the floor.  You think you see some shit at la fitness or 24 or planetfitness...they're called FITNESS for a reason because those people aren't tehre for the freak show. I went to a local powerlifting club to check it out and was in heaven. It's one thing to be teh man at the local ymca...until you get your reality checked cashed where the big boys work.
I'm not doubting but the men must be monsters. I honetly workout with 135-225 at most. I've never honestly seen  more than 315 rowed with shitty form (other than colemans video.) So thats cool if you can do it.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 05:17:30 AM »
I'm not doubting but the men must be monsters. I honetly workout with 135-225 at most. I've never honestly seen  more than 315 rowed with shitty form (other than colemans video.) So thats cool if you can do it.

one weights 330 and benches 705 (shirted) and another weights 360 and benches 905 in a shirt... and they're huge advocates of a big back makes a big bench just like mike wolfe says!