Author Topic: Manion Says Disloyalty to the IFBB is Like Cheating on your Wife!!!  (Read 29789 times)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Re: Manion Says Disloyalty to the IFBB is Like Cheating on your Wife!!!
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2007, 05:32:55 PM »

I never said I was a lawyer or a "guru", but I think it would be difficult to argue that competing in a contest where you're unlikely to break even can be considered "valuable consideration", as it has little market value.

for a court to find "consideration" (which is really not the basis for getting contracts thrown out these days, anyway), it doesn't have to be valuable.

they might consider if the two sides were giving up something of roughly equal value.   these days this part is rarely grounds for finding no contract . . . if it ever was.

cts are not going to tell parties how or when to contract. 

the definition of "professional" has no bearing on contracts . . . the Uniform Commercial Code cares about merchants, but the UCC applies only to the sale of goods.

someone could make out an antitrust case against the IFBB . . . maybe.  but i doubt lee or the PDI has the resources to pay $600+/hr.  most antitrust lawyers do not work on a contingency basis . . .

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2007, 05:49:50 PM »

I never said I was a lawyer or a "guru", but I think it would be difficult to argue that competing in a contest where you're unlikely to break even can be considered "valuable consideration", as it has little market value.

A case was already decided against the NPC back in the 80's in Federal court prohibiting them from penalizing amateur athletes for competing in other federations (which kills Ron's "fraternety" or "private club" analogy).  It isn't exactly a leap of logic to see how this could be argued in the IFBB, given that these guys are NOT being paid a salary, and most lose money.  It's tough to call unpaid athletes "professionals", especially when they are independant contractors in no one's employ.

Whats valuable to one may not be to another....for many, the opportunity and the doors that open as an IFBB pro ARE valuable, and they take advantage of it by way of placing in the money, signing contracts, exposure, etc....

When you COMPETE for money, you are considered a professional in the IFBB, wheyer or not an athlete actually MAKES money is irrelevant to the discussion at hand....

As usual, you don't know what you're talking about.....

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2007, 08:47:29 PM »
is the regular standing professional bodybuilder making money?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2007, 09:30:23 PM »
is the regular standing professional bodybuilder making money?

as opposed to the one's that are sitting?

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2007, 09:47:38 PM »
Whats valuable to one may not be to another....for many, the opportunity and the doors that open as an IFBB pro ARE valuable, and they take advantage of it by way of placing in the money, signing contracts, exposure, etc....

I agree.

One bodybuilder that comes to mind (who's name I won't disclose), told me that he became an IFBB Pro to comete in and win a certain show to attain that show's title for THE SOLE PURPOSE OF USING THAT TITLE TO MARKET HIMSELF "OUTSIDE" OF COMPETITION!

After he won the show he stopped competing and has marketed that title very well and is now a Multi-Millionaire!

So the IFBB does in fact provide opportunities. However, if you are "competing" to make money and relying soley on that as your income, you've got a serious problem. IMO

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2007, 09:58:22 PM »

One bodybuilder that comes to mind (who's name I won't disclose), told me that he became an IFBB Pro to comete in and win a certain show to attain that show's title for THE SOLE PURPOSE OF USING THAT TITLE TO MARKET HIMSELF "OUTSIDE" OF COMPETITION!

Which title?  The Bodybuilding.com Master's World Championship?  ;D
Ron: "I am lazy."

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2007, 10:00:17 PM »
Lee Priest made his own bed and now he has to live with it.  He did it to make some money from beating people who weren't in his league "PDI".

At least Chick did petition for his reinstatement.  Its better than nothing and quite frankly he was the only person who did do anything for him and Lee gave him the middle finger

Point being...if you think that the IFBB is a dictatorship then go compete somewhere else.  No-one is putting a gun to these people's heads to compete and there are other organization.  Hell, I'm competing in my first NGA event early next year. 

As Shawn Ray once said "Thanks for the memories, little man" is all Lee Priest is going to get for his efforts.  Life will go and has on without him.

Vince,

Derek A. spit in your face twice.

You didn't do anything.

You're the biggest punk in the history of the world.

good night.
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2007, 10:02:02 PM »
Vince,

Derek A. spit in your face twice.

You didn't do anything.

Like maybe get an AIDS test immediately.

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2007, 10:04:17 PM »
The IFBB is a NON PROFIT ORGANIZATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mindboggling that a non-profit org would financially penalize others for trying to make a living.

Just blows the mind. 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2007, 10:42:39 PM »
The IFBB is a NON PROFIT ORGANIZATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mindboggling that a non-profit org would financially penalize others for trying to make a living.

Just blows the mind. 

Hey...  I wonder if the American Red Cross blackballs their volunteers for disloyalty if they occasionally volunteer at the Salvation Army as well?   :D

I think the IRS should look into their "non-profit" status.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2007, 10:55:41 PM »

Which title?  The Bodybuilding.com Master's World Championship?  ;D

No. It wasnt that big of a show ;)

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2007, 02:32:08 AM »
Manion is in control!  It is he who pulls the levers in this so-called sport!

Jim is well aware that the majority of these Pros are 'dumb-as-dogshit-Neanderthals' ; and he treats them as that....and why shouldn't he?

Letting these so-called athletes voice an opinion is dangerous. 

Thank Christ Manion rules the organisation with an iron fist!

Jussup

• Getbig II
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2007, 04:36:34 AM »

I think Manion used a great analogy !
A wife that gives shit about her husband, when he is sick or dying - a wife that just leaves him alone, when he desperately needs her support. What a perfect marriage this is !

But - I nearly forgot - no one forced this man to marry his wife. Now, as he became aware of her true character, he can still look for different one  ::)
Also he knew and signed the marriage contract and it didn't include support during illness, it just said s.th. about love, dedication and commitment (required from his side). 

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2007, 05:52:58 AM »
What's the difference between the IFBB and your wife you are playing up on? The IFBB still sucks!

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2007, 07:35:17 AM »
. . .
someone could make out an antitrust case against the IFBB . . . maybe.  but i doubt lee or the PDI has the resources to pay $600+/hr.  most antitrust lawyers do not work on a contingency basis . . .

Good luck with the anti-trust case.  Remember how successful the USFL was against the NFL?

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2007, 09:41:22 AM »

During that time, Lee had quite a few chances to come back to the IFBB, which didn't go through.  I videotaped him about his sincerity of him coming back to the IFBB, which he said he did, but then said it wasnt true.  Steve Blechman offered him a deal, and the IFBB was cool with it, for him to come back into the IFBB come September 2007, but Lee didn't agree.  So yes, while he was suspended for a year, there were other factors. Once again, Lee may or may not be reinstated into the IFBB, but it didnt happen at the Olympia meeting. The next meeting, I think is at the Arnold?  

But there were others too, Rodney St. Cloub, I think also Valentine Jabes, one or two others. Lee is the most popular who chose to leave, but certainly not the only one.  If the IFBB acts differently on these guys, then it is a different issue. But for now, all have been treated the same.

Yes, let's all be all holy here, and cry for every little rule that has been broken.  Convictions, steroids - whoa. Wow.  If it was up to you, half of Congress would be out of office, half of the NFL, NBA, NHL would be out of players.  Get real. These guys don't have convictions for assault, or a violent crime.

But the ones who chose to compete in another federation while they were still members of the IFBB knew and were warned in advance about it. You do this, you will get that. Simple as that.  If I tell you and warn you in advance that if you choose the left path, you can't come back to the other path, you know in advance. Simple as that.

Moral relativism.  so easy for the masses.

Frank D. Law

• Getbig II
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2007, 01:56:37 AM »
Manion was a lawyer, I believe.  If he was, then anti-trust was a subject that he was probably not very hot on.  Must have been playing hooky or working out in the gym during anti-trust classes!

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2007, 02:26:22 AM »
No-one is putting a gun to these people's heads to compete and there are other organization.  Hell, I'm competing in my first NGA event early next year. 

LOL Vince dont even try to remotely compare yourself to these guys.

Please do yourself and all of us a favour and DONT compete!

P.S. Are you still benching 315 for reps?   ::)

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2007, 02:58:23 AM »
I HAVE A QUESTION FOR BOB CHICK ; ARE U ATHLETES REP OR IFBB SPOKESMAN. U DO REALIZE THAT ALL U DO ( ALMOST ) ALL DAY IS DEFEND IFBB AND IT'S PRACTICES ? AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED U FEED A LOT OF BULLSHIT BUT I GUESS THAT'S WHAT U GOTTA DO TO FEED YOUR FAMILY . WTF HAPPENED TO INTEGRITY AND LOYALTY ?...DIDN'T U USE TO BE A COMPETITOR AS WELL ?...YOU MANAGE TO BE POLITICALY CORRECT VIS A VIS IFBB AND U KNOW THAT BEING IN THEIR GOOD GRACES ASSURES U A SOFT BLAKIE AND APILLOW AND A BOWL BUT FOR FUCKS SAKE BOB : "YOUR " ATHLETES GET FUCKED UP THE ARSE AND ALL U DO ALL DAY IS DEFEND IFBB. IT'S PRETTY SAD IF U ASK ME.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2007, 04:55:49 AM »
as opposed to the one's that are sitting?
lol  you know what i mean  RMC   lol

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2007, 10:45:21 AM »
Listening to the Manion interview on Pro Bodybuilding Radio.  When they asked him about why loyalty is so important to the IFBB, Manion said that its like if you leave your wife for a year, talk trash about her, and go sleep with other women.  Can you really expect your wife to take you back a year later if you want to come home?    This dont sound too good for Priest.
LMAO like cheating on your wife, The IFBB is screwing the majority of the top pros over if they all stood together and Bob chick really did his job they could get things changed...Im glad at least one BB made the move even if he is in trouble with the IFBB hes made more money with PDI than he would have with the IFBB more than likely

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2007, 10:56:13 AM »

I think the IRS should look into their "non-profit" status.

The IRS cannot really do anything especially since its based out of Canada and is throughout the world.

In addition, its like cutting off a branch on a big tree.

My point is this. Its the IFBB's swimming pool and its up to a competitor as to whether they want to jump in or not.

I do however wish that they would enforce a better code of professionalism.  Having sex with a grapefruit for money should warrant at least an suspension or something.
A

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2007, 11:04:29 AM »
The IRS cannot really do anything especially since its based out of Canada and is throughout the world.

They can shut down US operations.  Dummy.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2007, 11:08:36 AM »
They can shut down US operations.  Dummy.

Please see my branches off a tree comment.  And even if they shut down US operations, they would simply open shop under another name. 

In all honesty, it will never happen

He who has the money wields the power
A

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2007, 02:21:35 PM »
I HAVE A QUESTION FOR BOB CHICK ; ARE U ATHLETES REP OR IFBB SPOKESMAN. U DO REALIZE THAT ALL U DO ( ALMOST ) ALL DAY IS DEFEND IFBB AND IT'S PRACTICES ? AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED U FEED A LOT OF BULLSHIT BUT I GUESS THAT'S WHAT U GOTTA DO TO FEED YOUR FAMILY . WTF HAPPENED TO INTEGRITY AND LOYALTY ?...DIDN'T U USE TO BE A COMPETITOR AS WELL ?...YOU MANAGE TO BE POLITICALY CORRECT VIS A VIS IFBB AND U KNOW THAT BEING IN THEIR GOOD GRACES ASSURES U A SOFT BLAKIE AND APILLOW AND A BOWL BUT FOR FUCKS SAKE BOB : "YOUR " ATHLETES GET FUCKED UP THE ARSE AND ALL U DO ALL DAY IS DEFEND IFBB. IT'S PRETTY SAD IF U ASK ME.

What are you talking about?