Author Topic: The Exodus  (Read 38147 times)

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
Re: The Exodus
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2009, 01:38:11 PM »
The verse in Deut. 34 simply states that no one knows "to this day" where Moses' tomb was. But, it gives the general location, "in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor"

Luke contends that this is a "dishonest translation", claiming that Scripture claims the tomb would never be found. And, since he thinks it has been found, he holds the alleged Bible claim to be wrong.

I've asked him to produce the "more honest translations" that supposedly support his claims. To the surprise of.....NO ONE, he's come up with zilch.

I don't know how "The Luke" can continue debating the bible. He gets the simple facts confused, much less being able to dicuss the deeper things of God.

BTW, I was only refering to the body of Moses, not the tomb.

GC/DEA_AGENT

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2009, 01:38:42 PM »
There is only one Archangel, Luke.

...why do you think that? The Archangels are used interchangeably throughout Jewish writing as beings synonymous with the pole gods; cardinal point gods and zodiac gods.

Not fact tho.

...well, archaeologists seem to have found the tomb of an Egyptian priest named Kamose, who was a Semitic orphan raised by a hostage princess (a so-called Daughter of Pharaoh) named Tutmer; became a priest of the Egyptian god Ka (the holy spirit) then later escaped Egypt with some of his fellow Hibiru and returned to the traditional homeland of the Hebrews, the Valley of Edom (Petra in Jordan).

He remains the very best candidate for an actual historical Moses.

The Luke

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2009, 01:12:08 AM »
...why do you think that? The Archangels are used interchangeably throughout Jewish writing as beings synonymous with the pole gods; cardinal point gods and zodiac gods.

The Bible doesn't teach it tho. Christians (genuine) only look to the Bible as their authority on these matters.

...well, archaeologists seem to have found the tomb of an Egyptian priest named Kamose, who was a Semitic orphan raised by a hostage princess (a so-called Daughter of Pharaoh) named Tutmer; became a priest of the Egyptian god Ka (the holy spirit) then later escaped Egypt with some of his fellow Hibiru and returned to the traditional homeland of the Hebrews, the Valley of Edom (Petra in Jordan).

He remains the very best candidate for an actual historical Moses.

The Luke

They know for a fact that this is the same Moses of the Bible?

GC/DEA_AGENT

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2009, 01:36:01 PM »
The Bible doesn't teach it tho. Christians (genuine) only look to the Bible as their authority on these matters.

...that's a new ideology which only came into vogue during the Protestant Reformation.

Before that it was the Vatican and the Heretics, that was it. Both drew heavily on earlier traditions. Now we have 34,000 different sects of Christianity ALL claiming to be the true genuine Christians... ALL interpreting different ideologies from the same document.

The Bible, as it has come down to us today, is woefully incomplete: full of redactions and rewrites.

For example, the Book of Jasher is completely absent from the Old Testament, even though it was part of the early Jewish canon. King Solomon himself even references it "for it says in the Book of Jasher..." (don't ask me for the scriptural quote I don't know it).

Archaeologists and historians have since found that Jasher was the King of the original Hebrew homeland, the Valley of Edom (Petra in Jordan) but was written out of the Old Testament after the pagan/polytheistic version of Judaism lost out to Akhenaten-inspired monotheism in the civil war between the upper and lower Israeli kingdoms (northern kingdom with Jerusalem as its capital and the old/southern kingdom with Edom as its capital).

Unfortunately, this Bible and Bible only dogma is encouraged by various Christian sects as it effectively labotimises Christian believers... they ignore ALL previous written traditions.

They know for a fact that this is the same Moses of the Bible?

...no, only religion offers absolutes.

Based on the evidence, it seems the Kamose character is the very best candidate for a historical Moses.

The Luke

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2009, 07:41:20 AM »
...that's a new ideology which only came into vogue during the Protestant Reformation.

Before that it was the Vatican and the Heretics, that was it. Both drew heavily on earlier traditions. Now we have 34,000 different sects of Christianity ALL claiming to be the true genuine Christians... ALL interpreting different ideologies from the same document.

The Bible, as it has come down to us today, is woefully incomplete: full of redactions and rewrites.

So, where is the alleged rewrite or "more honest translations" of the book of Deu. 34, claiming that Moses' tomb would never be found? You've had nearly two weeks to produce the goods to support your claim.

For example, the Book of Jasher is completely absent from the Old Testament, even though it was part of the early Jewish canon. King Solomon himself even references it "for it says in the Book of Jasher..." (don't ask me for the scriptural quote I don't know it).

Don't make the claim, then, if you don't know (or can't produce) the verses to support your statement. Besides, it's not as if you can't go online and find the verse. So, it looks to me as if you're just spouting noise, likely from some Biblically skeptic work, the reference to which you refuse to reveal.

Archaeologists and historians have since found that Jasher was the King of the original Hebrew homeland, the Valley of Edom (Petra in Jordan) but was written out of the Old Testament after the pagan/polytheistic version of Judaism lost out to Akhenaten-inspired monotheism in the civil war between the upper and lower Israeli kingdoms (northern kingdom with Jerusalem as its capital and the old/southern kingdom with Edom as its capital).

Unfortunately, this Bible and Bible only dogma is encouraged by various Christian sects as it effectively labotimises Christian believers... they ignore ALL previous written traditions.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

...no, only religion offers absolutes.

Based on the evidence, it seems the Kamose character is the very best candidate for a historical Moses.

The Luke

Once again, you're back to your usual throwing out blurbs, with little to no substance to them.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2009, 12:54:39 PM »
Don't make the claim, then, if you don't know (or can't produce) the verses to support your statement. Besides, it's not as if you can't go online and find the verse. So, it looks to me as if you're just spouting noise, likely from some Biblically skeptic work, the reference to which you refuse to reveal.

...why don't YOU know the verse that references Jasher?

Are YOU afraid to search for it?

Afraid I might be right?

Or is it just easier to accuse me of being wrong, than it is to prove it?

The Luke

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2009, 08:16:01 PM »

Now we have 34,000 different sects of Christianity ALL claiming to be the true genuine Christians... ALL interpreting different ideologies from the same document.

This is true, however, that doesn't mean they are ALL correct. The Bible gives clues on how to KNOW if what one is being taught, is indeed the TRUTH and a GENUINE Bible teaching.

Simply not true.

Rosicrucianism also claims that Moses received his wisdom from Egypt and that Jesus in his infancy went to Egypt not only for protection but also to receive education and training. But if this is so, why do neither the writings of Moses nor the Gospels contain anything about the mysteries of the Egyptian White Brotherhood? Likewise, much store is put in the Book of Jasher and the Great Pyramid of Egypt, but neither Jesus nor his apostles made any reference to either. They stressed the need of going to God’s Word and showed that it was all we need to guide us on life’s pathway.

Just to point out, though the claim is made that a form of monotheism existed during the reigns of Pharaohs Amenhotep III and Amenhotep IV (Akhenaton, I'm assuming you misspelled this one), when the worship of the sun-god Aton became nearly exclusive, it was not a true monotheism. The Pharaoh himself continued to be worshiped as a god. And even in this period there was no ethical quality to the Egyptian religious texts, the hymns to the sun-god Aton merely praising him for his life-giving heat but remaining barren of any expression of praise or appreciation for any spiritual or moral qualities. Any suggestion that the monotheism of Moses’ writings derived from Egyptian influence is therefore completely without foundation. Again, nothing is mentioned by Jesus or the apostles about Jasher.

Fortunately Christians (true) stick to the bible for it's guidance. What lobotomises people are the FALSE  teachings in regards to the God of the Bible and His Word contained in the Bible itself. :)

I don't see why. Kamose died in 1549 B.C., Moses died in 1473 B.C.. Quite a bit of difference, wouldn't ya say? That's almost a full century of difference between the two's death dates, Luke. Moses was around 44 years old when this guy died, Luke. I still can't figure out where you are getting this erroneous info. Peace!

GC/DEA_AGENT

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2009, 08:39:38 PM »
I don't see why. Kamose died in 1549 B.C., Moses died in 1473 B.C.. Quite a bit of difference, wouldn't ya say? That's almost a full century of difference between the two's death dates, Luke. Moses was around 44 years old when this guy died, Luke. I still can't figure out where you are getting this erroneous info. Peace!

...where are YOU getting your info?

You know the exact year Moses died? Where the hell did you get that info?

You know the exact year of the death of Kamose? How? I doubt it's the same Kamose that I'm talking about... semite orphan raised by the semite hostage princess Tutmer? That guy?

The rest of your post is equally erroneous... just because Jasher is not mentioned in the New Testament does not invalidate my claim: READ IT AGAIN CAREFULLY:

...read the Book of Enoch if you want an example of a text that was excised from the Bible.

Remember, the Roman Emperor Constantine (himself a Mystery Religion devotee) decided upon the Christian canon... picking only FOUR of the EIGHTY (yes, 80!) available distributed gospels. Similarly, the Jewish canon (Old Testament) was decided upon... not handed down from above.

The Luke

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2009, 10:43:11 AM »
...why don't YOU know the verse that references Jasher?

Are YOU afraid to search for it?

Afraid I might be right?

Or is it just easier to accuse me of being wrong, than it is to prove it?

The Luke

I didn't make mention of the book of Jasher, YOU did. Besides, if my memory is correct, that reference to the book of Jasher is in either 1st or 2nd Chronicles.

In any event, you have no room to talk!! I've been asking you for OVER TWO WEEKS to produce these so-called "more honest translations" that claim that Deut. 34 verse should read that Moses' tomb would never be found vs. its location simply being unknown (as of the completion of the book of Deut.).

You've come up with zilch, which is par the course for you.

Edit - My memory was off on that one. The two references are Joshua 10 and 2 Samuel 1.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2009, 11:12:13 AM »
I didn't make mention of the book of Jasher, YOU did. Besides, if my memory is correct, that reference to the book of Jasher is in either 1st or 2nd Chronicles.

...I never claimed otherwise.

Again, you are attacking what you THINK I claimed, rather than what I actually claimed. I simply mentioned that Solomon made reference to the "Book of Jasher", and now you have confirmed that he did.

So what's the disagreement?

In any event, you have no room to talk!! I've been asking you for OVER TWO WEEKS to produce these so-called "more honest translations" that claim that Deut. 34 verse should read that Moses' tomb would never be found vs. its location simply being unknown (as of the completion of the book of Deut.).

You've come up with zilch, which is par the course for you.

...you do know that ancient Hebrew has no past, present or future tense and as such is open to interpretation, right?

Sometimes, considering this temporal ambivalence, tautologies can be taken as emphatic absolutes.

For example: "his tomb has not been found" is a definite statement, but "has not been found even to this day" is an obvious redundancy; a grammatical tautology... considering the temporal ambiguity inherent in the language, a translation could easily substitute "never" as inferred by the tautology... simply take the tautology as an emphatic absolute.

Besides, the "even to this day" you insist upon as correct is similarly of ambiguous tense: it could mean the day the text was written or a continuous present: ie "evermore".

Again, this is a vacuous argument... you scream for links; citations; footnotes and references. If I fail to provide them that is misconstrued as tacit concession on my part, yet if I provide them you simply dismiss them because they don't come from sources YOU accept (Christian apologists).

There is a solution to this stalemate... you could prove me wrong.

The onus should not be on me to constantly accommodate and pander to your lack of knowledge, try proving me wrong instead of constantly challenging me to produce expansive footnoted bibliographies and references... I'm not interested in educating someone who read one book and decided that was all they ever needed to know.

The Luke

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2009, 11:21:23 AM »

I doubt it's the same Kamose that I'm talking about... semite orphan raised by the semite hostage princess Tutmer? That guy?

Who? Did you get the spelling right?

...read the Book of Enoch if you want an example of a text that was excised from the Bible.

The Book of Enoch is an apocryphal and pseudepigraphic text, Luke. It is falsely ascribed to Enoch. Produced probably sometime during the second and first centuries B.C., it is a collection of extravagant and unhistorical Jewish myths, evidently the product of exegetical elaborations on the brief Genesis reference to Enoch. This alone is sufficient for lovers of God’s inspired Word to dismiss it.

In the Bible, only the book of Jude contains Enoch’s prophetic words: "Look! God came with his holy myriads, to execute judgment against all, and to convict all the ungodly concerning all their ungodly deeds that they did in an ungodly way, and concerning all the shocking things that ungodly sinners spoke against him.” (Jude 14, 15) Many scholars contend that Enoch’s prophecy against his ungodly contemporaries is quoted directly from the Book of Enoch. Is it possible that Jude used an unreliable apocryphal book as his source, Luke?

How Jude knew of Enoch’s prophecy is not revealed in the Scriptures. He may simply have quoted a common source, a reliable tradition handed down from remote antiquity. Paul evidently did something similar when he named Jannes and Jambres as the otherwise anonymous magicians of Pharaoh’s court who opposed Moses. If the writer of the Book of Enoch had access to an ancient source of this kind, why should we deny it to Jude? (Exodus 7:11, 22; 2 Timothy 3:,8).

How Jude received the information about Enoch’s message to the ungodly is a minor matter. Its reliability is attested to by the fact that Jude wrote under divine inspiration. (2 Timothy 3:16) God’s holy spirit guarded him from stating anything that was not true.

GC/DEA_AGENT

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2009, 11:34:29 AM »
The Book of Enoch is an apocryphal and pseudepigraphic text, Luke. It is falsely ascribed to Enoch. Produced probably sometime during the second and first centuries B.C., it is a collection of extravagant and unhistorical Jewish myths, evidently the product of exegetical elaborations on the brief Genesis reference to Enoch. This alone is sufficient for lovers of God’s inspired Word to dismiss it.

In the Bible, only the book of Jude contains Enoch’s prophetic words: "Look! God came with his holy myriads, to execute judgment against all, and to convict all the ungodly concerning all their ungodly deeds that they did in an ungodly way, and concerning all the shocking things that ungodly sinners spoke against him.” (Jude 14, 15) Many scholars contend that Enoch’s prophecy against his ungodly contemporaries is quoted directly from the Book of Enoch. Is it possible that Jude used an unreliable apocryphal book as his source, Luke?

How Jude knew of Enoch’s prophecy is not revealed in the Scriptures. He may simply have quoted a common source, a reliable tradition handed down from remote antiquity. Paul evidently did something similar when he named Jannes and Jambres as the otherwise anonymous magicians of Pharaoh’s court who opposed Moses. If the writer of the Book of Enoch had access to an ancient source of this kind, why should we deny it to Jude? (Exodus 7:11, 22; 2 Timothy 3:,8).

How Jude received the information about Enoch’s message to the ungodly is a minor matter. Its reliability is attested to by the fact that Jude wrote under divine inspiration. (2 Timothy 3:16) God’s holy spirit guarded him from stating anything that was not true.

...if I pop a couple of these sentences into Google will I find the webpage you copy and pasted this from?

No offense Government_Controlled, but you didn't write this did you?

It's Google-fu, no?

The Luke

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2009, 11:43:10 AM »

...if I pop a couple of these sentences into Google will I find the webpage you copy and pasted this from?

It's Google-fu, no?

The Luke

Give it a shot, friend! However, it really doesn't make a bit a difference in the world, does it? If the facts are facts, it shouldn't matter! Peace!

GC/DEA_AGENT

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2009, 11:43:39 AM »
...I never claimed otherwise.

Again, you are attacking what you THINK I claimed, rather than what I actually claimed. I simply mentioned that Solomon made reference to the "Book of Jasher", and now you have confirmed that he did.

So what's the disagreement?

...you do know that ancient Hebrew has no past, present or future tense and as such is open to interpretation, right?

Sometimes, considering this temporal ambivalence, tautologies can be taken as emphatic absolutes.

For example: "his tomb has not been found" is a definite statement, but "has not been found even to this day" is an obvious redundancy; a grammatical tautology... considering the temporal ambiguity inherent in the language, a translation could easily substitute "never" as inferred by the tautology... simply take the tautology as an emphatic absolute.

Besides, the "even to this day" you insist upon as correct is similarly of ambiguous tense: it could mean the day the text was written or a continuous present: ie "evermore".

Listen to what you just said. If it can mean either the day the text was written or a continuous present, why are you complaining about the reading of the text being the former. More importantly, what is your evidence that it should be the latter vs. the former?

Again, this is a vacuous argument... you scream for links; citations; footnotes and references. If I fail to provide them that is misconstrued as tacit concession on my part, yet if I provide them you simply dismiss them because they don't come from sources YOU accept (Christian apologists).

There is a solution to this stalemate... you could prove me wrong.

I can and have, more times than I care to count. As for your excuse for your lack of providing references and links, it appears you're projecting again. And it shows that your claims don't hold water.

When I make the claim that Moses' tomb was simply unknown, I cite the reference that backs my words. When I refute your claims that the wise men find Jesus at birth, I cite the specific text that state that Jesus was approximately 2 years old.

And the list goes on and on.......

The onus should not be on me to constantly accommodate and pander to your lack of knowledge, try proving me wrong instead of constantly challenging me to produce expansive footnoted bibliographies and references... I'm not interested in educating someone who read one book and decided that was all they ever needed to know.

The Luke

Proving you wrong has been so easy that it's ridiculous. And, despite yet another erroneous statement of yours, I don't just read one book (why do you think tearing your blurbs to shreds takes such little effort?).

And, I can cite them, when needed, to support any statement I make regarding certain Biblical subject; whereas, you spout Grade A foolishness, hiding the source of such because you don't of which you speak.

From your Exodus claims to those of Christ, you've been about as right as two left shoes. I can back my words; the question is: Can YOU DO THE SAME?

To date, the answer has been an emphatic NO!! Instead, it's elongated workouts, alleged car trouble, and a host of other excuses, when called upon to defend your wild claims.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »

It's Google-fu, no?

The Luke

You probably will, just as I can easily find the sites from which YOU post the stuff that you pretend to know from memory.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2009, 11:48:25 AM »
If it can mean either the day the text was written or a continuous present, why are you complaining about the reading of the text being the former. More importantly, what is your evidence that it should be the latter vs. the former?

...so you are conceding I'm right? Why all the arguing then?

The Luke

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2009, 11:54:38 AM »
...so you are conceding I'm right? Why all the arguing then?

The Luke

Nice try with the bait and switch!! Your initial claim wasn't that the meaning was either "has not been found" or "will never be found".

You claim that the "has not been found" was wrong and that the "more honest translations" state that Moses' tomb would never be found.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2009, 12:01:41 PM »
You claim that the "has not been found" was wrong and that the "more honest translations" state that Moses' tomb would never be found.

...and are you contending that this is wrong because "God" inspired Moses to write poorly using tautologies?

Come on dude, without temporal tenses, such a tautology could easily be an emphatic absolute.

The Luke

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2009, 12:08:54 PM »
...and are you contending that this is wrong because "God" inspired Moses to write poorly using tautologies?

Come on dude, without temporal tenses, such a tautology could easily be an emphatic absolute.

The Luke

You claimed that Deu. 34's read that the location of Moses' tomb being unknown was incorrect and that "more honest translations" state that such reads that it would never be found.

Cease with the gibberish and produce these "more honest translations" to back your words.

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2009, 09:47:52 PM »

Remember, the Roman Emperor Constantine (himself a Mystery Religion devotee) decided upon the Christian canon...

The opposite is true, LUKE. The canon was already settled by then, not by the decree of any council, or Constantine but by the usage of Christian congregations throughout the ancient world. Take a look see at what this source says - “It goes without saying that the Church, understood as the entire body of believers, created the Canon . . . it was not the reverse; it was not imposed from the top, be it by bishops or synods.”

P.S.

We don't believe this either. Which is the one about the famous church council of Nicaea held in A.D. 325 where some forty "gospels" were placed on the floor before the assembled audience and, after prayer had been offered, the four Gospels rose miraculously and settled on the table and because of this they have since been accepted as the true ones. You have got to do more research, Luke, instead of going to these religious sites for your info as truth.

GC/DEA_AGENT

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2009, 07:31:26 PM »
The opposite is true, LUKE. The canon was already settled by then, not by the decree of any council, or Constantine but by the usage of Christian congregations throughout the ancient world.

...whoa! Dude! That's a woefully misinformed view right there.

The Christian canon wasn't settled upon till the late Renaissance.... go Google the following phrases:
-Cathars
-Bogomils
-Old Believers (France)
-Albigensians
-Gnostics
-Carpocratians (the "Gay Jesus" guys)
-Mandean Johannites (also nown as the Iraqi "Swamp Kurds")
-Lake Tana Monks (Ethiopian Christians)
-Hibernian Church (Irish version of Catharism/Arianism)
-the Johannites
-not sure I can spell this anymore: A r y a n Church (Ron censored it: racist posts)

...all of these groups were something akin to Christians and they all used different gospels (or variant gospels) and teachings.

Might also be worth your while researching the Heretic Crusades fought within Christendom (such as the Albigensian Crusade) wherein Christians butchered other Christians over articles of faith.

History... even though you know how it ends, it's still worth reading.

The Luke

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2010, 07:33:09 AM »
Ripple effects of the recent Icelandic volcanic eruption help crystallize the potential effects of the Santorini volcano which took place at the time of the Exodus.  Silt from the volcano could turn the Nile river red and make the water undrinkable setting into motion the subsequent plagues—most notably, fiery hail which destroyed crops and killed livestock.  Exodus 7:14-25

Ash from a volcano can warp weather patterns for hundreds of miles and effectively eclipse the sun bringing darkness on the Egyptians--but not the Hebrews.  Exodus 10:21-29

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2010, 10:24:04 AM »
Ripple effects of the recent Icelandic volcanic eruption help crystallize the potential effects of the Santorini volcano which took place at the time of the Exodus.  Silt from the volcano could turn the Nile river red and make the water undrinkable setting into motion the subsequent plagues—most notably, fiery hail which destroyed crops and killed livestock.  Exodus 7:14-25

Ash from a volcano can warp weather patterns for hundreds of miles and effectively eclipse the sun bringing darkness on the Egyptians--but not the Hebrews.  Exodus 10:21-29

I don't believe it was silt from a volcano.  I believe it was blood.   :)

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2010, 05:02:30 PM »
I don't believe it was silt from a volcano.  I believe it was blood.   :)

It's carbon dioxide bubbling through the water.

The exact same thing happened a few years ago in Cameroon (Africa), it's a perfectly natural phenomenon.

Read about it here, (warning: this will involve reading something other than the Bible... and some science is involved)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nyos

The Hebrew slaves all slept on their rooftops (which is still the custom in Egypt and Libya today), because it is cooler during hot nights.

However, among the Egyptians it was the heir apparent's job to protect the household at night... so the first born son of every Egyptian household slept downstairs on a propped (low-lying) bed.

As the Nile became saturated by CO2 from the geological activity associated with the Mount Thera Eruption circa 1500 BC it turned a dark crimson colour and all the fish died (smothered by the CO2) and any animals drinking large amounts of water (cows etc) would similarly be affected by the carbonic acid. When the CO2 became super saturated it produced clouds of heavy CO2 above the Nile.

There is no incline to the lower levels of the Nile (Egypt) so these clouds of CO2 would simply float above the Nile till they eventually exceeded the rivers embankments and poured down into the ancient cities.

Anyone sleeping on the roof would remain above the metre high tidal wave of CO2... everyone sleeping downstairs (the firstborn heirs of Egypt) would be suffocated by CO2 supplanting the O2 (oxygen) on their red blood cells.

No mystery... no miracle... just a natural event mythologised afterwards by people who couldn't understand it.

The Luke

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2010, 05:19:25 AM »
It's carbon dioxide bubbling through the water.

The exact same thing happened a few years ago in Cameroon (Africa), it's a perfectly natural phenomenon.

Read about it here, (warning: this will involve reading something other than the Bible... and some science is involved)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nyos

::)

The Hebrew slaves all slept on their rooftops (which is still the custom in Egypt and Libya today), because it is cooler during hot nights.

However, among the Egyptians it was the heir apparent's job to protect the household at night... so the first born son of every Egyptian household slept downstairs on a propped (low-lying) bed.

Exodus 12:22-23
22 Take a bunch of hyssop, dip it into the blood in the basin and put some of the blood on the top and on both sides of the doorframe. Not one of you shall go out the door of his house until morning. 23 When the LORD goes through the land to strike down the Egyptians, he will see the blood on the top and sides of the doorframe and will pass over that doorway, and he will not permit the destroyer to enter your houses and strike you down.

As the Nile became saturated by CO2 from the geological activity associated with the Mount Thera Eruption circa 1500 BC it turned a dark crimson colour and all the fish died (smothered by the CO2) and any animals drinking large amounts of water (cows etc) would similarly be affected by the carbonic acid. When the CO2 became super saturated it produced clouds of heavy CO2 above the Nile.

Dang Luke, that Moses was a heck of a scientist...you know...being able to predict "Mount Thera Eruption circa 1500 BC." to the T.

There is no incline to the lower levels of the Nile (Egypt) so these clouds of CO2 would simply float above the Nile till they eventually exceeded the rivers embankments and poured down into the ancient cities.

Anyone sleeping on the roof would remain above the metre high tidal wave of CO2... everyone sleeping downstairs (the firstborn heirs of Egypt) would be suffocated by CO2 supplanting the O2 (oxygen) on their red blood cells.

No mystery... no miracle... just a natural event mythologised afterwards by people who couldn't understand it.

The Luke

Dang, that was some magical CO2, killing nobody else except the first born of every Egyptian.     ::)