Author Topic: just diagnosed with diverticulitis....can anyone help me?  (Read 6372 times)

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
just diagnosed with diverticulitis....can anyone help me?
« on: November 18, 2007, 11:04:20 AM »
i was just at the doc's office 2 weeks ago and was given a cat scan of my kidneys and was told i have this. basically it is a disease where pouches form in your intestinal/colan wall and then get infected with small fod particles getting trapped in them. i was on antibiotic and feel beter now, but what can i do to prevent another infection? yes, my diet can suck at times!  :-\

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Re: just diagnosed with diverticulitis....can anyone help me?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 01:06:20 PM »
I don't think you're supposed to eat popcorn or nuts anymore :(

(from medicinenet.com)

What can be done to prevent diverticular disease?

Once formed, diverticula are permanent. No treatment has been found to prevent complications of diverticular disease. Diet high in fiber increases stool bulk and prevents constipation, and theoretically may help prevent further diverticular formation or worsening of the diverticular condition. Some doctors recommend avoiding nuts, corn, and seeds which can plug diverticular openings and cause diverticulitis. Whether avoidance of such foods are beneficial is unclear. Patients with known diverticular disease that develop unexplained fever, chills or abdominal pain should notify their doctor because of the possibility of the complication of diverticulitis. A better understanding of the way diverticula form and become infected will hopefully lead to discovery of more effective ways to manage these common conditions.

(from emedicine.com)

The etiology of diverticulitis remains unclear, but a low-fiber diet can be considered a predisposing factor. Diets that are low in fiber lead to low-bulk stool, which, in turn, causes an increase in segmentation of the colon during propulsion. Intraluminal pressure is increased, and diverticula are created. Diets that are high in fat and beef content are thought by some to cause increased intraluminal pressure.

In mild episodes, a clear liquid diet is advised.

Deterrence/Prevention:

A lifelong high-fiber diet for those with asymptomatic diverticular disease may reduce the incidence of diverticulitis

GRH, some good high fiber foods:

Ezekial Bread
Kashi Cereals (most of them)
Apples, Pears
La Tortilla Factory tortillas

Here is a table I found at mayoclinic.com (the last number is the g of fiber content):

Pear 1 medium 5.1
Figs, dried 2 medium 3.7
Blueberries 1 cup 3.5
Apple, with skin 1 medium 3.3
Strawberries 1 cup 3.3
Peaches, dried 3 halves 3.2
Orange 1 medium 3.1
Apricots, dried 10 halves 2.6
Raisins 1.5-ounce box 1.6
Grains, cereal & pasta Serving size Total fiber (grams)
Spaghetti, whole-wheat 1 cup 6.3
Bran flakes 3/4 cup 5.1
Oatmeal 1 cup 4.0
Bread, rye 1 slice 1.9
Bread, whole-wheat 1 slice 1.9
Bread, mixed-grain 1 slice 1.7
Bread, cracked-wheat 1 slice 1.4
Legumes, nuts & seeds Serving size Total fiber (grams)
Lentils 1 cup 15.6
Black beans 1 cup 15.0
Lima beans 1 cup 13.2
Baked beans, canned 1 cup 10.4
Almonds 24 nuts 3.3
Pistachio nuts 47 nuts 2.9
Peanuts 28 nuts 2.3
Cashews 18 nuts 0.9
Vegetables Serving size Total fiber (grams)
Peas 1 cup 8.8
Artichoke, cooked 1 medium 6.5
Brussels sprouts 1 cup 6.4
Turnip greens, boiled 1 cup 5.0
Potato, baked with skin 1 medium 4.4
Corn 1 cup 4.2
Popcorn, air-popped 3 cups 3.6
Tomato paste 1/4 cup 3.0
Carrot 1 medium 2.0

R

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 08:48:48 PM »
You need to be drinking alot more water. Think of it like this, the stomach is a sewer system, and it needs lots of fluids to process all those differenent kind of foods. Even eatiing healthier foods wont rid the problem unless you start including more water in youd diet. Keep fluids by your bed when you sleep, if you are dehydrated.

az

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 12:39:58 PM »
You need to be drinking alot more water. Think of it like this, the stomach is a sewer system, and it needs lots of fluids to process all those differenent kind of foods. Even eatiing healthier foods wont rid the problem unless you start including more water in youd diet. Keep fluids by your bed when you sleep, if you are dehydrated.

very true, people clean the ouside (shower/bath) but don't think about cleaning the inside. The average person has about 20-30 pounds of "matter" backed up in them...gotta clean it out!!!!!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 07:57:47 PM »
What about a cleanse?

I just bought one of these kits.

I was told this is a very good company (Renew Life).

Let's do it together  ;D

It won't be pretty, but we'll start the new year clean as a whistle :P
:

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 08:00:18 PM »
maybe go get one of those colan cleanse things...don't know the name...sorta like an enema  :-X

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 02:07:20 PM »
all good sugestions, thanks! but that's what baffles me is that i don't seem to have any problems with crapping. i ate like a horse on thanksgiving and had no problems at all! could it be that i have "diverticulosis" and not diverticulitis?  they are 2 different things!  ???

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 09:55:23 PM »
my brother was diagnosed with diverticulitis and eventually had surgery to remove the pocket but the docter said high fiber lots of water and has my brother drink DanActive every day in the morning he hasnt had problems since and my brothers diet is pretty shitty year round