Author Topic: generally speaking, which brands/companies are the best?  (Read 3005 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
generally speaking, which brands/companies are the best?
« on: November 19, 2007, 07:54:38 AM »
so generally speaking which companies/brands are the best quality, fair prices, etcetera on the most important supplements one should be taking?

who can you trust with quality? thanks in advance for the replies!

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
Re: generally speaking, which brands/companies are the best?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 08:16:20 AM »
Damn, how many threas are you going to start in a day?

On a serious note what products are you looking to buy?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 08:28:44 AM »
for quality Gaspari and Beverly are two of the best brands out there. Beverly is a little on the pricey side though. I also think Nutrex makes good products as well. It all depends what you are looking to buy. I am a big fan of Gaspari stuff.

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 09:46:42 AM »
which products? creatine, glutamine, bcaa's, zma, joint repair, digestive enzymes, protein (pre-post-meal replacements),efa's, multi-vit/mineral.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 09:58:24 AM »
I usually buy just a 5 pound bag of Proteinfactory WPC every couple months.

I've always liked the NOW brand - always nicely priced.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 10:25:16 AM »
I'm a little biased because I own a company, but this also gives me a little more credibility if I'm willing to give props where props are due.

My company Pure Performance Nutrition guarantees that NOBODY uses higher quality ingredients/raw materials (maybe equal but not better).

Gaspari Nutrition is one of the best. I've known Richie for years and know that he does not cut corners.

If I don't necessarily know the quality of a company's product, I tend to trust the ones that the information on the label is legit and the company is owned by a person that truly cares about the sport and is not just trying to make a quick buck.

I don't know Gerad Dente personally but MHP seems to have great products from what I know.

Ergopharm has been know to have great products.

I assume that BSN has quality products based on what I've heard. I've never actually lab tested their products, but I've heard good things.

There are some companies I just didn't bother listing because this is not meant to be an exhaustive list.

However, there are some companies that are conspicuous by their absence ;) Judge for yourself.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 10:29:28 AM »
which products? creatine, glutamine, bcaa's, zma, joint repair, digestive enzymes, protein (pre-post-meal replacements),efa's, multi-vit/mineral.

All of those are necessary fundamentals. You can skip the bcaa's if you're having a high quality whey protein drink before and after your workouts. They are very high in bcaa's, so it's redundant.

koolie1

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 06:40:02 PM »
Pinnacle makes pretty solid products. I think each company has a stand out product so its hard to say. AVOID ANYTHING MUSCLETECH (sorry, had to be done)

1Fast400

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 07:30:29 PM »
You can skip the bcaa's if you're having a high quality whey protein drink before and after your workouts. They are very high in bcaa's, so it's redundant.

Wow, massive ignorance.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 07:32:19 PM »
Wow, massive ignorance.
i think he was referring to bcaa's pre and post workout; not like in betwen meals while dieting, or before bed. i dont think he was addressing those uses.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 09:35:56 PM »
Wow, massive ignorance.

You ignored my PM  >:(

GetBigOrDieTrying

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 11:06:25 PM »
Wow, massive ignorance.

I agree , BCAA's In their free form have a much faster up take and spike plasma levels , Leucine in particular is excellent pre and post work out in its free form state. Once its bonded it needs to be broken down and willl take a lot longer to be absorbed into the blood stream , like the BCAA’s in whey.

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 04:26:13 AM »
Avoid BSN they are getting sued for false label claims.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 10:17:15 AM »
Avoid BSN they are getting sued for false label claims.

Yea, they are in a heap right now.  Their Cell-mass product tested at 3% active ingredients for creatine heh.  I would have thought they would be putting out quality products since they are probably the 2nd largest supp company behind muscletech.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 11:12:42 AM »
Yea, they are in a heap right now.  Their Cell-mass product tested at 3% active ingredients for creatine heh.  I would have thought they would be putting out quality products since they are probably the 2nd largest supp company behind muscletech.
I must say I am very suprised  :-\

1Fast400

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 11:44:15 AM »
Sorry mike, I never check pm's as I visit so many boards.  Just post whatever it is.  BCAA's when dieting are the most important supplement you can take IMO.  There is only about 30 years worth of research to back this up.  If the price on raws wasn't so high, this would be the most used supplement on the planet. 

For someone to say that taking whey protein is the same as taking bcaa's, ignorant.  There are a lot of BS companies out there.  The more magical the supplement, the more likely it's not what it claims.  There are some products made with real drugs in them, misbranded.  Gotta love the industry.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 04:43:07 PM »
Wow, massive ignorance.

Why's that???

What protein source is the highest in BCAA's????

Our whey protein contains over 5 grams of BCAA's per scoop (20 grmas of protein), so if you're taking 40 grams of protein which includes 10 grams of BCAA's before and after your workout, are you saying that people have to take more than that??? Hmmmm.......

1Fast400

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 05:10:08 PM »
  Supplementing with BCAA's during a cutting phase is one of the most valuable things you can do.  There is only about 30 years worth of research on this.  I'm not going to hand you research on a plate. 

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 05:32:26 PM »
  Supplementing with BCAA's during a cutting phase is one of the most valuable things you can do.  There is only about 30 years worth of research on this.  I'm not going to hand you research on a plate. 

I'm NOT denying that fact.

What I'm asking is why you would state that my statement was "absolute ignorance" regarding not needed to take additional BCAA's if you're taking a high quality whey protein drink before and after your workouts?

As I stated, our protein has 5 grams of BCAA's per 20 grams of protein, so that's approx. 10 grams of BCAA's before & after your workout for a total of 20 grams. I don't think that's uncommon for most high quality whey protein brands.

So are you saying that it's "ignorant" to only take 20 grams of BCAA's before and after your workout???

GetBigOrDieTrying

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 12:52:25 AM »
I'm NOT denying that fact.

What I'm asking is why you would state that my statement was "absolute ignorance" regarding not needed to take additional BCAA's if you're taking a high quality whey protein drink before and after your workouts?

As I stated, our protein has 5 grams of BCAA's per 20 grams of protein, so that's approx. 10 grams of BCAA's before & after your workout for a total of 20 grams. I don't think that's uncommon for most high quality whey protein brands.

So are you saying that it's "ignorant" to only take 20 grams of BCAA's before and after your workout???

No , are you saying taking free form BCAA’s before and after a work out would have the same effect as having a whey shake?

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 12:01:44 PM »
No , are you saying taking free form BCAA’s before and after a work out would have the same effect as having a whey shake?

There is definitely a benefit to taking additional BCAA's before and after your workouts. I highly recommend it and have for over 20 years! However, I believe that if you are having a high quality whey protein drink which is high in BCAA's (20 grams in my example), then you really do not need an additional source.

For 1FAST400 to make the statement that I'm "ignorant", especially without any explanation, is in itself revealing ignorance. Especially since studies have shown that whey protein yields the highest BV and is the preferred source of BCAA's.

1Fast400

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 02:39:07 PM »
I'm not going to give a lesson to someone that technically competes with me.  There is MORE than enough research to back up my comment.  Go search mindandmuscle.net under bcaa or (gulp) bb.com. 

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 03:44:03 PM »
I'm not going to give a lesson to someone that technically competes with me.  There is MORE than enough research to back up my comment.  Go search mindandmuscle.net under bcaa or (gulp) bb.com. 

So your stadegy is to take "unprovoked" cheap shots at people that "technically compete against you" ??? Hmmmmm......????

You do realize that the statement I made had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU!

Unlike some on these boards, I was attempting to HELP people GET RESULTS  and SAVE MONEY, by answering their questions TRUTHFULLY.

Sorry, I'm not going to lie to people just to get them to buy some products!

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 03:46:22 PM »

BTW, I'd LOVE to see the research that says taking 20 grams of BCAA's for muscle growth is a bad idea!!!

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 04:02:05 PM »

BTW, in addition to the BCAA's you get in whey, you also get all of the additional protein plus the extra glutamine. So a lot of added benefits.