Author Topic: Anybody on here routinely use 700 pounds for shrugs ?  (Read 2924 times)

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
Anybody on here routinely use 700 pounds for shrugs ?
« on: November 24, 2007, 10:11:32 AM »
I can believe this poundage for someone who deadlifts above 700 pounds on a regular basis, but for most lifters im going to have to call BULLSHIT.

What is the average weight you use when doing barbell shrugs.  I think 225-300 pounds is a good/realistic weight.  This is strict 6-10 reps-not some crazy leg and back tilt thing done on the smith machine.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Re: Anybody on here routinely use 700 pounds for shrugs ?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 10:12:34 AM »
i never do them, they dont feel right. i already have melon sized traps due heavy back training, that should be enough.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 10:55:19 AM »
Prefer doing tham on a Hammer Strength machine where the palms face the outer thighs - don't really have a lot of time for the barbell ones but I've never really worked any higher than 400lbs - anything else would just be jerking the weight around with shite form.

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 02:01:14 PM »
i don`t know....but maybe the wicked truth uses over 800 lbs...?

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 02:21:46 PM »
I can believe this poundage for someone who deadlifts above 700 pounds on a regular basis, but for most lifters im going to have to call BULLSHIT.

What is the average weight you use when doing barbell shrugs.  I think 225-300 pounds is a good/realistic weight.  This is strict 6-10 reps-not some crazy leg and back tilt thing done on the smith machine.
Onlyme shrugs his shoulders. Does that count?

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 02:53:50 PM »
i prefer doing seated dumbbell shrugs, your traps are really isolated and you cannot cheat much.  once in a while i would do behind the back bb shrugs in a smith machine just to stimulate the traps with higher weights but even here i do not use much weight, i go up to 2.5 plates per side.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 03:11:18 PM »
shrugs are the most badly aboused movement in any gym, it should be banned altogether, always some skinny bitch loading the bar with 6 plates per side and rising up on his toes "shrugging" the weight a quarter of an inch. ::)

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 03:14:30 PM »
I'd like to see some of these try to hold a five or a ten count on their "reps" when shrugging.  I bet their poundages would crash big time.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 03:18:23 PM »
I'd like to see some of these try to hold a five or a ten count on their "reps" when shrugging.  I bet their poundages would crash big time.
hahahhaa, it's not just skinny newbies either, there was a youtube clip of a pro doing that with six plates per side. ;D

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 03:25:58 PM »
i use the 130s

i feel dumbells hits it better and is a more honest exercise. There is always someone bb 'shruging' big weights they can't handle.
tank u jesus

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 03:28:57 PM »
this is probably the rock bottom MINIMUM ROM you should be using and even this is too heavy for this guy.

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 03:35:11 PM »
Paul Kelso recommends doing no less than 15 reps per set with shrugs and holding at the top for a couple seconds.

That being said the most I've ever used was 300 on a barbell for 15 reps holding at the top for 2 seconds or so.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 03:36:38 PM »
Coleman's form was the worst ever on Cost of Redemption, he did behind the backs with 735 and barely moved the weight half an inch.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 03:37:16 PM »
shrugs are the most badly aboused movement in any gym, it should be banned altogether, always some skinny bitch loading the bar with 6 plates per side and rising up on his toes "shrugging" the weight a quarter of an inch. ::)

exactly.  I get sick of these skinny twats doing this cheat shrug shit.  A "shrug" to me is not cheated at all.  And it doesn't involve the whole body (as opposed to a clean).  The lower back and abs stabilize the body, the legs keep you grounded, and the movement is done with the traps.  Anything else is just bullshit ego lifting.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 03:43:13 PM »
Paul Kelso recommends doing no less than 15 reps per set with shrugs and holding at the top for a couple seconds.

That being said the most I've ever used was 300 on a barbell for 15 reps holding at the top for 2 seconds or so.

Oh really??  Yeah, you're a beast.

I'm trying to work my weak points right now.  Chest is the worst, I hit it every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  Shoulders are my second weak point, I hit them every Tuesday and Thursday.  I hit triceps and legs on Saturday and back on Sunday.  I have 19 inch arms already at 10% BF, but my chest doesn't look thick and my shoulders aren't so thick and wide.  I've been doing this for a couple months now and I have been able to increase my strength like 10 lbs. of weight every week and a half to two weeks.

My chest workouts are hardcore.  I'll start out doing 4 sets with the heaviest weight I can do for 8 reps.  I'll take like a 5 minutes break and then do another 4 sets for 10 reps with minus 10 pounds from the previous 4 sets and so on.  I'll end up doing 12 sets each for incline, flat, and decline.  After bench work I'll do 4 sets of 10 with dumbbell flyes flat, incline, and decline.  48 sets in all 3 times a week for chest.  I've never followed bodybuilding until recently, but I just lift and get stronger. 

Honeslty, I don't know what my problem is.  I've been getting 1.5 grams of protein per bodyweight a day and I've tried doing less sets and more rest days but that still didn't seem to work.  I'm not big, but I'm pretty strong.  I just want to add size now, but my body doesn't seem to respond.
Squishy face retard

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
monster 14 and a half inch arms.

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 03:46:25 PM »
You can't deny that I put most Getbigger to shame.

Andre Nickatina

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 03:47:52 PM »
I can't imagine how good your joints would feel after hitting a set of 500+ lb shrugs

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 04:38:34 PM »
Yea, im going to have to revise that down, with a dead lift you are using your legs and entire back-along with traps-to isolate the traps and do a true shrug, there are probably a handful of 300+ lb powerlifters who do 550-600 pounds, maybe Kaz and guys like that.

Wait a second, i mean Kaz and the Wicked Truth  ::)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 04:50:28 PM »
Yea, im going to have to revise that down, with a dead lift you are using your legs and entire back-along with traps-to isolate the traps and do a true shrug, there are probably a handful of 300+ lb powerlifters who do 550-600 pounds, maybe Kaz and guys like that.

Wait a second, i mean Kaz and the Wicked Truth  ::)
hahahaha, i thought "wickedtruth" did 700.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 04:55:20 PM »
I don't do the "hump the air" shrug, am I going to be OK? :'(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 04:56:11 PM »
exactly.  I get sick of these skinny twats doing this cheat shrug shit.  A "shrug" to me is not cheated at all.  And it doesn't involve the whole body (as opposed to a clean).  The lower back and abs stabilize the body, the legs keep you grounded, and the movement is done with the traps.  Anything else is just bullshit ego lifting.

Id have to disagree with you on the last point.  I think "cheating" or power shrugging definitely has a place in an strength athletes regimine.

Jason

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 04:57:07 PM »
Id have to disagree with you on the last point.  I think "cheating" or power shrugging definitely has a place in an strength athletes regimine.

Jason

Is "hump the air" shrug the same as "power" shrugging?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

affy

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 04:58:58 PM »
i honestly don't do shrugs...my traps get hit enough from deadlifts

i hate it when these stupid turds load up the smith machine and do 4 shitty reps of reverse shrugs with 3 plates...but they can barely even do a 225lb deadlift for a single

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2007, 05:17:41 PM »
Moderate weight power cleans have done more for my traps than even deadlifts, but that's just one white man's opinion.

I have to say though, I feel behind the back upright rows (ala Lee Haney) seem to be the best version for me in terms of shrugs.
Squishy face retard