Author Topic: What are your favorite supersets?  (Read 10806 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
What are your favorite supersets?
« on: November 27, 2007, 11:42:21 AM »
I love doing supersets, especially when I am trying to drop weight.  They keep the heart rate up and burn more calories.
I haven't really been training with a lot of supersets lately, and I kinda miss them.  Some of my faves:

-Bicep/Tricep supersets are my favorites, they burn your arms right up.
DB bicep curls/tricep cable press, EZ bar bicep curls/skull crushers, bicep preacher machine/tricep pushdown machine

-Leg extensions/seated hammy curls
-If you are really feeling saucy, then superset leg extensions/seated hammy curls/lying hammy curls
-Inner thigh/outer thigh machines

-Seated row machine/close grip pulldowns

-Barbell shrugs/dumbell shrugs
-Dumbell shrugs/upright rows
-Straight arm lateral dumbell raises/bent arm lateral dumbell raises
-Dumbell front raises one arm at a time/barbell front raises both arms together

The possibilities are endless.
:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: What are your favorite supersets?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 01:19:12 PM »
One I have been liking for a while is seated or standing DB curls and close grip BP in the smith machine. Or Cable curls and rope push downs.

have not done many supers for other parts much in a while but you got me wanting to now Rip baby, thanks  ;)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 11:56:12 AM »
can't believe you do inner/outer thigh machines Lori...thought you were a real bber....

my fav supersets are normally during leg days.  Hack squats or leg press s/s with lunges (walking, standing, 45 degree)

or if I am feeling extra special I'll do step ups s/s with box jumps

Jennifer

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 12:07:44 PM »
can't believe you do inner/outer thigh machines Lori...thought you were a real bber....

my fav supersets are normally during leg days.  Hack squats or leg press s/s with lunges (walking, standing, 45 degree)

I'm calling bs on your 315 squat claims .

I say they were done with a horny dude spotting you from behind and doing alot of the work.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 12:44:41 PM »
Ha, well after my little lower back injury earlier this off-season I came back this week with my first heavy leg workout...still can't walk right after MOnday night but it feels great to be getting my strength back and my back is doing well.

My workout...and my spotter was a powerlifter.  Though I didn't use the powerlifter stance, mine was more narrow and bar was higher on my back, he made sure I got to 90 degrees and went through the full range of motion.

I started with squats, a couple light sets of 135 to warm up....then:
195 for 12
215 for 10
225 for 8  (wrapped knees loosely)
275 for 5 good, one with help (wrapped knees tightly)

In the past I wouldn't have been struggling like that with 275 but like I said this was my first real leg workout since October when I messed up by back a bit.  It felt good though my right hamstring is still very tight...not really sure what to do about that.  It is one of the reason I ended up messing up my back, I have done to the chiropractor and massage therapist but nothing has helped yet.

What was the rest of my workout you ask...
1 set of 12 squats using a powerlifting stance and a box with 135 to get the feeling
1 set of 12 squats using a very narrow stance with 135

Hack squats: not sure what the machine weighs so this is just added weight
140 x 8
180 x 8
230 x 8
280 x 8 (help from spotter on last few)

by this time I was a little sick

ended with 4 sets of 10 one-legged lunges on the smith machine with 75 for 2 sets and 95 for 2 sets

then I threw up

Thin Lizzy I know you are just teasing me though...As long as I can stay healthy (and since I am not moving out to Colorado for about 6 months so no snowboarding) I should be able to, I would say in about a month I will have my squats up to over 300.  Plus the powerlifter showed me how to really wrap my knees so I am more comfortable with the heavy weight.  Really want a good belt though...
Jennifer

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 01:06:43 PM »

hahahhaa I DON'T DO THEM  :D...unless I am waiting for something else like the extension machine or the calf raise machine.  Then, I'll do them as supersets to pass the time.

I actually advocate against both of those machines in my first couple of posts in the Glute/Lower Body Training thread.   ;D
NICE leg workout...you should add it to the glute thread.  I'm glad to hear that your back is better!!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 01:08:49 PM »
Ha, well after my little lower back injury earlier this off-season I came back this week with my first heavy leg workout...still can't walk right after MOnday night but it feels great to be getting my strength back and my back is doing well.

My workout...and my spotter was a powerlifter.  Though I didn't use the powerlifter stance, mine was more narrow and bar was higher on my back, he made sure I got to 90 degrees and went through the full range of motion.

I started with squats, a couple light sets of 135 to warm up....then:
195 for 12
215 for 10
225 for 8  (wrapped knees loosely)
275 for 5 good, one with help (wrapped knees tightly)

In the past I wouldn't have been struggling like that with 275 but like I said this was my first real leg workout since October when I messed up by back a bit.  It felt good though my right hamstring is still very tight...not really sure what to do about that.  It is one of the reason I ended up messing up my back, I have done to the chiropractor and massage therapist but nothing has helped yet.

What was the rest of my workout you ask...
1 set of 12 squats using a powerlifting stance and a box with 135 to get the feeling
1 set of 12 squats using a very narrow stance with 135

Hack squats: not sure what the machine weighs so this is just added weight
140 x 8
180 x 8
230 x 8
280 x 8 (help from spotter on last few)

by this time I was a little sick

ended with 4 sets of 10 one-legged lunges on the smith machine with 75 for 2 sets and 95 for 2 sets

then I threw up

Thin Lizzy I know you are just teasing me though...As long as I can stay healthy (and since I am not moving out to Colorado for about 6 months so no snowboarding) I should be able to, I would say in about a month I will have my squats up to over 300.  Plus the powerlifter showed me how to really wrap my knees so I am more comfortable with the heavy weight.  Really want a good belt though...

Man sounds like an awesome workout Beast!  Maybe I will have to get up there to your gym and see if I could hang with the Beast on a leg day  ;D 

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 03:13:58 PM »
One I have been liking for a while is seated or standing DB curls and close grip BP in the smith machine. Or Cable curls and rope push downs.

have not done many supers for other parts much in a while but you got me wanting to now Rip baby, thanks  ;)
Love that combo, usually if I do it, it will be DB hammer curls...don't know why I like it so much but I do.

Another favorite, DB incline press w/incline fly's

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 12:59:11 AM »
I like to do same muscle group supersets such as.

Leg presses with sissy squats
Db lateral raises with incline db lateral raises
Dips with Db Flyes
Pullups with Straight arm pulldowns.
And so on.........usually i do a compound movement followed by an isolation movement, but sometimes I mix it up and pre fatigue the muscle with an iso movement then do the compound.

Its all gravy though.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 04:49:36 AM »
Leg presses with sissy squats

OUCH. 

Cham's back workout:

Bent-over BB rows s/s with close-grip pull downs 4x12-15
Hammer Strength High Pulls s/s with standing low 1 arm cable rows (with 180 degree wrist rotation for RC work), 4x12-15
High throat pulls s/s with modified DL 3x12 (8-10 for DL)

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 09:26:02 PM »
OUCH. 

Cham's back workout:

Bent-over BB rows s/s with close-grip pull downs 4x12-15
Hammer Strength High Pulls s/s with standing low 1 arm cable rows (with 180 degree wrist rotation for RC work), 4x12-15
High throat pulls s/s with modified DL 3x12 (8-10 for DL)

Whos Cham??

Thats alot of compound movements supersetted.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 10:07:13 PM »
Today was arms and was in a super set mood

Did seated BD curls and lying triceps extensions....alright Il call em skull chrushers LOL

Did cable bar curls with V bar push downs.

Man I got a good pump, started the workout with seated and the heavier sets standing DB curls and did about 5 sets.  But I just kept doing em for about another 4-5 sets with the skulls

I have been doing my DB curls without any supination lately (palms up the whole time) And you cant go as heavy but they feel good.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 11:03:39 PM »
Today was arms and was in a super set mood

Did seated BD curls and lying triceps extensions....alright Il call em skull chrushers LOL

Did cable bar curls with V bar push downs.

Man I got a good pump, started the workout with seated and the heavier sets standing DB curls and did about 5 sets.  But I just kept doing em for about another 4-5 sets with the skulls

I have been doing my DB curls without any supination lately (palms up the whole time) And you cant go as heavy but they feel good.

I actually feel a better stretch doing my db curls that way.

That is the only way I perform my incline db curls....palms up the whole time baby!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 03:47:18 AM »
Whos Cham??

Thats alot of compound movements supersetted.

Cham is Chamorita, The Coaches woman.  I hope she didn't leave GB as well.   :-[

Luv baby, sweet arm workout.   8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 04:47:55 AM »
I actually feel a better stretch doing my db curls that way.

That is the only way I perform my incline db curls....palms up the whole time baby!

Yeah I feel they have helped me doing them that way.  Also helps from what I can tell to keep the shoulders out of your curls some.  I think doing them that way keeps the muscle under tension more too.

It does seem to allow you to stretch more too cause you can lower the arm more than you could with BB curls.  Annie R said that the stretch part of biceps training is very important, hard to argue with that when you see her arms  :o

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 11:40:49 PM »
Damn Annie is one hot piece........what i would do with that if i ever had the chance :)

Oh yea...........Supersette d some arms yesterday, nut not traditional supersets, I did what they call alternating sets, where u take about 45-60 secs between sets.......so its like a delayed superset

Incline db Curls with Skullcrushers 4 sets each about 8-12 reps

Db preacher curls with cable extensions 3 sets each about 10-12 reps

And finally machine dips and machine concentration curls 2 sets each 15 reps.

got a very very good pump, moved fast and hit them hard, finished arms in about 30 min.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 06:21:02 AM »
She's an angel.  Love the whole Itallian thing she has going on, not even sure if she is?

Man Flex that workout looks great!  I love doing it like that too, just pushing trough very little rest.  Gets you done fast and pumped!

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 09:05:24 PM »
She's an angel.  Love the whole Itallian thing she has going on, not even sure if she is?

Man Flex that workout looks great!  I love doing it like that too, just pushing trough very little rest.  Gets you done fast and pumped!

thanx bro, I try  :P

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 08:16:42 AM »
Damn Annie is one hot piece........what i would do with that if i ever had the chance :)

Oh yea...........Supersette d some arms yesterday, nut not traditional supersets, I did what they call alternating sets, where u take about 45-60 secs between sets.......so its like a delayed superset

Incline db Curls with Skullcrushers 4 sets each about 8-12 reps

Db preacher curls with cable extensions 3 sets each about 10-12 reps

And finally machine dips and machine concentration curls 2 sets each 15 reps.

got a very very good pump, moved fast and hit them hard, finished arms in about 30 min.

That's an awesome arm workout flex...that's the way I like to hit arms.   8)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 10:22:37 AM »
Man sounds like an awesome workout Beast!  Maybe I will have to get up there to your gym and see if I could hang with the Beast on a leg day  ;D 

Anytime..seriously.  I miss having a good workout partner (yes that means you Shane.)  It is hard for me to get down to the city to train with Blockhead, maybe we can talk him into coming up to the burbs to train with us :)

Jennifer

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 12:14:20 PM »

That's an awesome arm workout flex...that's the way I like to hit arms.   8)

Thanx RIP. :)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 04:40:41 AM »
Love that combo, usually if I do it, it will be DB hammer curls...don't know why I like it so much but I do.

Another favorite, DB incline press w/incline fly's

Man i did chest yesterday and tried this super set.  I did smith machine inclines ( I tweeked my shoulder doing DB presses a week ago so i feel safer in the smith right now, BTW DB presses are Officially OUT of my training, too risky for me) then incline flys.  That combo had my chest pumping.  I went pretty heavy for me, up to 3 plates per side and then going into the flys really kicked butt.  Last set I had 275 on there did 10 then did 12 reps with 50's on the flys then stripped 25's off the smith and did like 8-10 more reps then right back to the flys for another 8.  That finish set was burning me up. 

Im sure I will be sore from that, just like my legs after Sunday, Im going up and down stairs rather slowly right now LOL.

Anytime..seriously.  I miss having a good workout partner (yes that means you Shane.)  It is hard for me to get down to the city to train with Blockhead, maybe we can talk him into coming up to the burbs to train with us :)

Cool Jen we will have to.  I have been wanting to get up to that gym as I have heard it is good. And Im sure training with the Beast would have me pushing hard to keep up  :) 

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 04:48:42 AM »
I did a kinda random leg workout last night.  Here's one superset that I can definitely feel this morning.

I did five sets of Luv lunges  ;) with 45 pounds on my shoulders...12 on each leg.  I dropped the last two sets to 10 reps and supersetted them with 10 side-to-side lunges and 10 pliea squats.  

[I love the incline/fly superset too, but I haven't really been doing much of either of those lately.  Luv, I hope your shoulder feels better!]

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 05:29:43 AM »
I did a kinda random leg workout last night.  Here's one superset that I can definitely feel this morning.

I did five sets of Luv lunges  ;) with 45 pounds on my shoulders...12 on each leg.  I dropped the last two sets to 10 reps and supersetted them with 10 side-to-side lunges and 10 pliea squats.  

[I love the incline/fly superset too, but I haven't really been doing much of either of those lately.  Luv, I hope your shoulder feels better!]

LOL yeah i did Luvy Lunges too and that is probally why my glutes are so sore!  They are not your typical lunge thats for sure, feels like training for an athletic event doing them.  The last set i did with 100lbs or so I had a hard time finishing.  Man that superset had to have you burning!  I need to get a leg superset in this weekend  :)

Thanks Rip I think the shoulder will be OK but I hurt it pretty good, I love DB presses but they are getting me hurt too much, getting that second one into position.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 07:11:18 PM »
Hey Luv,

Im training legs today u have any good supersets for me to do????