Author Topic: Why Heisman Voters Have Zero Credibility  (Read 15818 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Why Heisman Voters Have Zero Credibility
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2007, 04:49:44 PM »
I said 2 LOSSES.

Why do you keep putting out offensive players? Why not invite some Defensive players. A lot of the time they are the best players in College.

O.K.  My bad.  Two losses.  I wasn't even talking about the BCS anyway.  That system is a joke.  There should a playoff like every other sport at every other level.  All conference winners, plus a few at-large teams for independents.  Pretty simple. 

I agree defensive players should be included in the discussion. 

But you didn't respond to my questions:  "which schools out of the 119 Division I-A programs should have players eligible for the Heisman?  All of them?  Some of them?  Only 'BCS' schools?"   

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2007, 05:56:48 PM »
::)  Yes, Oklahoma sure is a cupcake. 

So is Alabama, Purdue, Oregon, Arizona State, and Michigan State.

I have to say Fresno is a tough team every year.. There stadium is one of the hardest to play in...

Plus I guess BSU showed everyone last year why the BCS system sucks DICK. According to the Nation we shouldn't have been able to compete.. I wish we could get FSU and other teams up here to play. I don't question how good of a game it would be. it's not the little schools that are turning down the chance to play. It's the big guys that are to worried they might get trashed and they tuck tail.... I am sure HI and BSU would love to have tougher schedules yet we can't get anyone to show up....

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
It is supposed to go to the best player in college football.  It rarely does, as the list of Heisman winners show.  Just look at this year.  The best running back in the country (Kevin Smith of Central Florida) isn't even a finalist. 

LOL what kind of numbers would Mike Hart or Darren McFadden or about a dozen other RB's put up in the same situation.

for the last time...he's not the best RB in college. you can say he put up the best numbers, but he put them up against weaker competition week in and week out
Go Big Red!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2007, 08:17:54 PM »
LOL what kind of numbers would Mike Hart or Darren McFadden or about a dozen other RB's put up in the same situation.

for the last time...he's not the best RB in college. you can say he put up the best numbers, but he put them up against weaker competition week in and week out

Oh please.  If the Heisman is supposed to go the player with most outstanding season that was not McFadden.  Smith was clearly the best RB in the country this year.  Here are their respective game-by-game comparisons (rushing only):

McFadden:
Troy - 24 for 151, 1 TD
Alabama - 33 for 195, 2 TDs
Kentucky - 29 for 173, 1 TD
North Texas - 29 for 173, 1 TD
Chattanooga - 25 for 122, 1 TD
Auburn, 17 for 43, 0 TDs
Mississippi - 22 for 110, 0 TDs
Florida International - 19 for 61, 4 TDs
South Carolina - 34 for 321, 1 TD
Tennessee - 22 for 117, 0 TDs
Mississippi State - 28 for 88, 0 TDs,
LSU - 32 for 206, 3 TDs

Smith:
North Carolina State - 35 for 217, 2 TDs
Texas - 27 for 149, 2 TDs
Memphis - 22 for 124, 3 TDs
Louisiana-Lafayette, 33 for 223, 3 TDs
East Carolina - 29 for 147, 1 TD
South Florida - 18 for 55, 0 TDs
Tulsa - 33 for 170, 3 TDs
Southern Miss - 43 for 175, 2 TDs
Marshall - 29 for 188, 2 TDs
UAB - 41 for 320, 4 TDs
Southern Methodist - 20 for 177, 2 TDs
UTEP - 46 for 219, 1 TD
Tulsa - 39 for 284, 4 TDs

That last game by Smith was for the conference championship.

Both had some tough games, both played some soft teams. 

And he didn't just put up the best numbers.  He rushed for more yards than any player in college football history except Barry Sanders and will likely pass Barry after the bowl game. 

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2007, 09:40:49 PM »
O.K.  My bad.  Two losses.  I wasn't even talking about the BCS anyway.  That system is a joke.  There should a playoff like every other sport at every other level.  All conference winners, plus a few at-large teams for independents.  Pretty simple. 

I agree defensive players should be included in the discussion. 

But you didn't respond to my questions:  "which schools out of the 119 Division I-A programs should have players eligible for the Heisman?  All of them?  Some of them?  Only 'BCS' schools?"   

To be honest with you they should all be eligible. I'm just saying strength of schedule should be taken into account.

And I agree there should be a playoff system and the Heisman should be awarded after the Championship game.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2007, 10:17:55 AM »
To be honest with you they should all be eligible. I'm just saying strength of schedule should be taken into account.

And I agree there should be a playoff system and the Heisman should be awarded after the Championship game.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the schedule.  It's too subjective IMO.  But we do agree about a playoff system and when the Heisman should be awarded. 

Also, I wish they wouldn't let sports writers who have never strapped on the pads have a vote. 

body88

« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2007, 12:49:45 PM »
We'll have to agree to disagree on the schedule.  It's too subjective IMO.  But we do agree about a playoff system and when the Heisman should be awarded. 

Also, I wish they wouldn't let sports writers who have never strapped on the pads have a vote. 

Thats murky waters my friend. Should people who have never been president of the United States not be allowed to write about , vote or comment on the president?

I agree about the playoff system though!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2007, 12:58:10 PM »
Thats murky waters my friend. Should people who have never been president of the United States not be allowed to write about , vote or comment on the president?

I agree about the playoff system though!

Body - given that there have only been 42 people who have served as president of the United States, and there are well over 100 million voters each election, I'd say that isn't a very good hypothetical. 

I don't like the fact that some fat sports writer from L.A. who may have never played the game gets to decide on whether a player from Alabama is the best player in the country without ever having watched the kid play.  That's really my point.  I'd like to see the voting restricted to all former Heisman winners, former players, and coaches.  You don't have to be a former player to analyze the game and/or player performance, but it does give you a lot more credibility.