Author Topic: core/functional training  (Read 2317 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: core/functional training
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »
Is it a good protocol for bodybuilding?  Of course not entirely, but much of it can be incorporated into a regime with noticeable gains/improvements.  Getting all the body's systems working in sync with each other builds a functional body.

Well said.
And I apologize for my mis-conveyed narrow-mindedness.

My argument exists solely in the context of bodybuilding. I did not mean to suggest that core training is completely useless or impractical.
It certainly does have a place, and your last statement sums up that idea perfectly.

But do you also agree that, as mentioned above, the same (or similar) results are attainable with older/more conventional methods of training?
If so, then to what degree?

In effect, if someone is already doing ample dumbbell work, deadlifts, squats, etc., then how great is their need to directly incorporate IFT?
I’m not necessarily looking for statistics or facts, either…your educated opinion is fine and welcomed.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 09:29:36 PM »
Everyone forgets the main premise behind functional training known as Proprioceptive neurofacilitation, or teaching the musculoskeletal system and the nervous system to work better together.  It allows people to react faster and more appropriately to opposing forces.  This is great for athletes in many sports, but has minimal applications for bodybuilders and powerlifters. 

Research has also shown that women prefer more entertaining forms of weightlifting, where men are content with standard lifting protocols.  So from a personal trainer perspective it is very important to know how to cater workout routines to a specific client to keep their interest and get results.

However imho functional training is way overblown and simply implementing more dumbell work, squats, and deadlifts will achieve many of the same results with a greater gain of strength and muscle mass.

Agreed.  Have you every seen a trainer try to teach a clinet PNF stretching or a PNF Chop?   

Remember...different sells.  If I can tell a client all about the benefits of working in all 3 planes of motion, tell them why sitting down is so bad and how I can fix their bad posture, don't you think they'd listen? 

I think we should merge this thread with the other one.

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 09:03:41 AM »
We did various core training exercises when I was taking bjj.  I would incorporate a little into each workout!