Author Topic: Steroids while on a antidepressant?  (Read 6279 times)

Emmortal

• Getbig V
Re: Steroids while on a antidepressant?
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007, 09:53:08 AM »
Yea, that's why I'm really concerned about that stuff.  There are alternative methods for treating that stuff now that are pretty effective.  Personally I try and stay away from using any external drugs (well besides you know... =) to fix any ailments.   When I get sick, I pump myself full for Vit C and tough it out if I can, I'll sit through a headache and let it pass before I take any advil or anything.  Obviously those problems are not even close to depression, I know because I've suffered from it in the past and it's not something you can just tough out heh.  These drugs the doctors are prescribing for this stuff is what really scares me though.  I'm just not convinced that they are needed, but that's just my personal opinion of course.

I mean, if you ever want to come off of it what do you do?  I know someone mentioned weening yourself off over a long period of time, but then what?  Are you back to square one and now have to find something else to take?  It just seems to me like they are treating a heart attack with a bandaid and not treating the patients bad diet and clogged arteries.

Obviously I don't know what the root of these problems are, I'm no doctor, but I think AD are a big problem in America and one that these pharmaceutical companies have carved a nice 40 billion dollar a year industry for themselves.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2007, 10:07:03 AM »
Yea, that's why I'm really concerned about that stuff.  There are alternative methods for treating that stuff now that are pretty effective.  Personally I try and stay away from using any external drugs (well besides you know... =) to fix any ailments.   When I get sick, I pump myself full for Vit C and tough it out if I can, I'll sit through a headache and let it pass before I take any advil or anything.  Obviously those problems are not even close to depression, I know because I've suffered from it in the past and it's not something you can just tough out heh.  These drugs the doctors are prescribing for this stuff is what really scares me though.  I'm just not convinced that they are needed, but that's just my personal opinion of course.

I mean, if you ever want to come off of it what do you do?  I know someone mentioned weening yourself off over a long period of time, but then what?  Are you back to square one and now have to find something else to take?  It just seems to me like they are treating a heart attack with a bandaid and not treating the patients bad diet and clogged arteries.

Obviously I don't know what the root of these problems are, I'm no doctor, but I think AD are a big problem in America and one that these pharmaceutical companies have carved a nice 40 billion dollar a year industry for themselves.

So true...

I do not think someone with actual depression can come off. I dont see how since the people I know with depression try and they wind up back on.

There are some guys in their 40's who recently got blood done and showed low test. The doc would not give them test shots or the cream and tried to scipt them anti-depressants. I thought it was a fluke the first time I heard that but then a few other guys said the same thing! They are not even treating what is ailing these guys...sad and clearly a financial decision on the docs part.

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 01:42:15 PM »
Like i said it depends what you re using, i can come off it just like that.But why would i? AD has helped me a great deal in my life, any its more healthy to my buody to use it then not. It makes the stress disappear a great deal, AD is getting a bad name out there, i dont agree with that, in my case it only gave  me positive influence on my health, with no side-effects.

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2007, 02:22:08 PM »
The reason the person might not be able to tell effect after coming off anti depressant is cause it has long half life, it takes up to a month for them to really kick in and I was guess it would take that long or longer to get out of your system, you would have to ask your doctor though to get actual answer.
TEAM Nasser

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 03:27:25 PM »
Some need to man, their brain does not produce the right chemicals. What sucks is they switch your meds around until one works best with your chemisty.

That is what always scared me about doctors.."here, TRY this and if that does not work, we will TRY that"

No, give me what will fix it!!!!!!!!

yes. their is a chemical imbalance..but is it the "CAUSE OF" or the "RESULT OF" the mental illness? that is where the real question lies...   if you follow the neuroscience point of view, youd say its the CAUSE OF; but if you were any other type of practicing psychologist or psycho therapist, you would whole heartedly disagree with the assertion that chemical imbalances CAUSE mental disorders...they are simply THE RESULT OF a disorder.     and since when trying to fix any problem, the main point is to adress the underlying CAUSES of the problem...the prescribing of anti-depressants is a band-aid fix, and really isnt appropriate anyway.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2007, 03:39:31 PM »
yes. their is a chemical imbalance..but is it the "CAUSE OF" or the "RESULT OF" the mental illness? that is where the real question lies...   if you follow the neuroscience point of view, youd say its the CAUSE OF; but if you were any other type of practicing psychologist or psycho therapist, you would whole heartedly disagree with the assertion that chemical imbalances CAUSE mental disorders...they are simply THE RESULT OF a disorder.     and since when trying to fix any problem, the main point is to adress the underlying CAUSES of the problem...the prescribing of anti-depressants is a band-aid fix, and really isnt appropriate anyway.

Hhhhmmmm.....When you finish your thesis on the subject please be sure to post your findings Dr. Dizzle.

MY point is that, regardless of CAUSE OF the disorder or whatever, docs will script a few different AD's until they get the right one for that individuals chemistry. To me, that seems unnecessary but I am far from a doctor to comment on that practice. You are saying they don't even need AD's?? That is ridiculous.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 04:41:25 PM »
Yes, some of these points can be debated. It's hard to even prove there is an imbalance as such in the case of a depression. No tests looking at brain chemistry are done when they are prescribed. What is known is that they work most definitely for many people, who otherwise would be totally unable to function in daily life. The success rate of drugs in serious depression is much higher than with psychotherapy. In many cases no amount of therapy will make a person functional without drugs. And there's no reason why both can't be employed. Depression can sometimes strike a person without any "cause", without any emotional trauma that could be worked out with therapy.

Your earlier advice of just getting off an AD when hopping on a cycle "because you wont be depressed when on" was plain horrible. Cycling steroids when you have a mental disorder has to be taken very seriously in the first place. Even many "normal" people get anxiety and mood disturbances (including depression sometimes) on steroids.

abc123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2007, 05:05:31 PM »
Unitl last year, I had always been a very well adjusted, happy, high achiever.  Then I just got depressed and totally lost motivation for no apparent reason.  I've totally got it made in life, but it did not matter.  I did not have a desire to do all the things I used to enjoy like working out, simple conversation with people or even reading the paper.  Simply getting off of the couch became a chore.  Work became very, very difficult to manage.

I now take a combo of prozac and wellbutrin and feel like a million bucks - like I used to.  Who knows what causes the onset of depression or chemical imbalances, but thank god for modern medicine.

People on the boards need to withhold giving advice if they don't know what they are talking about.  Giving bad drug advice is serious shit.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2007, 07:24:08 PM »
no doub you were immidietly relieved of the depression once you got on prozac and wellbutrin. they are drugs. and like any drug, they alter your state of mind. go smoke a joint and tell me if it doesnt affect you..go bust aline of coke and tell me if it doesnt affect you, go eat soem mushrooms and tell me if it doesnt affect you.... all drugs will affect you.  the point wasnt that anti depressants cant help, but that they only help in the short term, and are band aid fixes that do nothing to address the underlying cause of depression..and you will HAVE to be on drugs for an eternity untill you treat that underlying cause of mental illness.   sadness is a normal human emotion, and many argue that in order to overcom sadness, first you must feel its full affects. you get depressed for a reason, and depression does have a purpose...   

as far as cycling between the two drugs(steroids and anti-depressants); you are absolutely correct that i do not know what im talking about. i have never tooken either of them. all i know is that both seem tohave the same affect on state of mind and mood...so it seemed to me that if you wanted to avoid any reactions between the two then your best bet  would be to stop taking one while you take the other.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2007, 04:15:40 AM »
no doub you were immidietly relieved of the depression once you got on prozac and wellbutrin. they are drugs. and like any drug, they alter your state of mind. go smoke a joint and tell me if it doesnt affect you..go bust aline of coke and tell me if it doesnt affect you, go eat soem mushrooms and tell me if it doesnt affect you.... all drugs will affect you.  the point wasnt that anti depressants cant help, but that they only help in the short term, and are band aid fixes that do nothing to address the underlying cause of depression..and you will HAVE to be on drugs for an eternity untill you treat that underlying cause of mental illness.   sadness is a normal human emotion, and many argue that in order to overcom sadness, first you must feel its full affects. you get depressed for a reason, and depression does have a purpose...   

as far as cycling between the two drugs(steroids and anti-depressants); you are absolutely correct that i do not know what im talking about. i have never tooken either of them. all i know is that both seem tohave the same affect on state of mind and mood...so it seemed to me that if you wanted to avoid any reactions between the two then your best bet  would be to stop taking one while you take the other.

Actually, some good points. But, in todays society, who has the time to let a depression run its course? If you have a job how can you lie on the couch for a few months until you start feeling functional again? It's often said AD's gives you "breathing space" for a while, allows you to work out you issues.

Regarding AAS and steroids having the same effects. To some degree yes. However, if you also have generalized anxiety for example the steroids can compound this if you get off the AD. If you are only talking something that is stimulating, like Wellbutrin, steroids might very well offer similar mood boost. Unlikely if you are taking Paxil, Prozac, etc. JMO.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2007, 10:38:52 AM »
Unitl last year, I had always been a very well adjusted, happy, high achiever.  Then I just got depressed and totally lost motivation for no apparent reason.  I've totally got it made in life, but it did not matter.  I did not have a desire to do all the things I used to enjoy like working out, simple conversation with people or even reading the paper.  Simply getting off of the couch became a chore.  Work became very, very difficult to manage.

I now take a combo of prozac and wellbutrin and feel like a million bucks - like I used to.  Who knows what causes the onset of depression or chemical imbalances, but thank god for modern medicine.

People on the boards need to withhold giving advice if they don't know what they are talking about.  Giving bad drug advice is serious shit.

NO DOUBT MAN! Especially with this condition. I am close to many people that have it and meds are the key. Unfortunatly, knew a girl that was Bi-Polar, which I understand is another form of depression, I could be wrong, went off her meds and wound up dead in a hotel room from alcohol poisoning. She worked for me and one day left a note on my car that she was quitting, two weeks later her husband was calling around looking for her until they found her.

Thanks for your input coming from someone who has depression first hand, this makes a big statement to the internet docs on here.

Did it take the docs a while to find the right combo of prozac and wellbutrin for you? Some friends of mine get frustrated because their doc bounces them from med to med. I just dont get that but again, I am no doctor.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2007, 12:42:25 PM »

Thanks for your input coming from someone who has depression first hand, this makes a big statement to the internet docs on here.

just because i dont readily admit to mental illness doesnt mean i havent suffered from, am not suffering from, any kind of issues myself. and i am not trying to be a psychiatric therapist...but i love the topic and am actually studying to become one right now..so i cant help but post what i think.

abc123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2007, 01:37:54 PM »

Did it take the docs a while to find the right combo of prozac and wellbutrin for you? Some friends of mine get frustrated because their doc bounces them from med to med. I just dont get that but again, I am no doctor.

Yes, it took a while.   I started with 20 mg of Prozac.  I felt better after about a month, but not quite back to normal.  So, I went to 30 mg and then eventually to 40 mg over the course of the next few months.   40mg worked well - I didn't worry about stuff as much - but I was still lethargic.  So, the doc added in the lowest dose of Wellbutrin, which gave me energy/motivation. 

I'm no expert, but I know that Prozac regulates seretonin, which helps with a general sense of well being.  Wellbutrin affects dopamine and is "more uplifting" according to the doc.  I believe that dopamine is what is affected by many rec drugs such as coke, meth and X.  So, it makes sense that this would be the switch that affects energy/motivation.

It's a good combo.  I feel great.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2007, 01:49:13 PM »
you would also feel great if you ate a quarter of shorroms, smoked a joint, and took some vicodin.

but alas...these drugs drugs are not legal; because pfizer doesnt have any of them for sale yet.

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2007, 01:59:36 PM »
you would also feel great if you ate a quarter of shorroms, smoked a joint, and took some vicodin.

but alas...these drugs drugs are not legal; because pfizer doesnt have any of them for sale yet.

You're a fucking retard, comparing drugs like mushrooms, pot and vicodin is nothing like antidepressants. They work completely differently. Antidepressants dont just get you high, they actually change how you're feeling.

God you're a retard, go play in a microwave

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2007, 03:33:51 PM »
just because i dont readily admit to mental illness doesnt mean i havent suffered from, am not suffering from, any kind of issues myself. and i am not trying to be a psychiatric therapist...but i love the topic and am actually studying to become one right now..so i cant help but post what i think.

Yes you can, please refrain from telling us what you think, you scare the shit out of me with your logic.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2007, 07:21:09 PM »
Yes you can, please refrain from telling us what you think, you scare the shit out of me with your logic.

I'll 2nd that BB...........

He is fucked up plain and simple and should STFU.

Lets get the mods on delete mode and eliminat thies shit before it gets out of hand any further.

He SHOULD NOT USE STEROIDS. 

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2007, 09:16:03 PM »
You're a fucking retard, comparing drugs like mushrooms, pot and vicodin is nothing like antidepressants. They work completely differently. Antidepressants dont just get you high, they actually change how you're feeling.

by getting you high.

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2007, 10:06:21 PM »
Anyone know about an AD/anxiety medicine that is a combination of amitriptyline and perphenazine?  I recently started taking this and havent ran any cycles w/ it.

abc123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2007, 02:12:35 AM »
Anyone know about an AD/anxiety medicine that is a combination of amitriptyline and perphenazine?  I recently started taking this and havent ran any cycles w/ it.

No, but I assume this is it? http://www.medicinenet.com/amitriptyline_w_perphenazine-oral/article.htm

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2007, 04:20:39 AM »
by getting you high.

Man sometimes, well most of the time, I get really bad anxiety for about 10 or 15 minutes after smoking weed.  I do have anxiety and used to be on Paxil about 3 years ago.  I had to cut down for 2 weeks before quitting and I was still fucked up for a few weeks going through a withdrawal.  As someone said earlier,  vivid dreams, spaced out feeling, eventually it goes away but it can really mess with you.  When I did a cycle last year I felt like a million bucks.  It was the best I felt in a long time.  Much rather do test-e than paxil.

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2007, 05:45:04 AM »
Keep it cool guys, candidizzle is a motivated soul and he wants to learn some new things.  If you have severe anxiety and depression, its tough to say if you really got a mental illness. You could see it like a fly in the brain that is really hard to get rid off. Im taking AD for some years now, and it helped me 50 % with my depression. Its not the ticket, but it sure makes life a little easy. LAtely i have some setbacks with the pil, so i try to mix it up, i cut the pil in a half, and add some omega fishoil to feel better. Everybody wants to know what causes your depression, but even if you know how you got it, it aint gonna change the problem. When you got huge stress and feel like shit for years and years, your brain will change too ofcourse. Its the neurotransmitters that get empty, after all the mental beating you took. So when you take AD, you fill them up a little. Its all a mind game, i think in 80% cases its the cause of some trauma or life-problems. In some cases people get depressed out of a clue, it happens. But there is a logical explenation for it, but folks are not avare where the problem came from. AD is a big seller for the governments, and doctors are quick with the judge that you gave a mentall illness. So ask yourself are you really mentally ill? I dont think so, if you think you are, you basically give up, ever to get better. We humans lie to ourself constantly. We make ourself feel miserable, cause we re not mentally smart. That lie, you play it over and over again in your head, that at one point becomes reality, simply because thats the way you expirience it in your concious and subconcious mind. Remember, when you think of something, you get a flashback or something, your brain really doesnt see the difference, if its real or not. You basicly become, what you think about. Give the depressed people 1 mil $ in their hand, and ask them are they still depressed? I dont think so. Its all a mind game, and cause of the people's mental ignorance it becomes reality, with result that you need to take AD cause your neurotransmitters get low. So the miserable people should really not search for, what causes their depression or fear, even if you find out, you will not make any progress.We re constantly talking to our brain, when you have thoughts trough the day.So you need to start asking yourself some quality questions like,''what can i do right now, to make myself comfortable and feel good''. That way your brain will go to the right direction. If you search what the cause is in negative things, you will just make it worse, cause you will expirience all those negative emotions all over again, and put more stress on to your neurotransmitters, and at some point the AD will not even do its job good.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2007, 08:10:12 AM »
Give the depressed people 1 mil $ in their hand, and ask them are they still depressed? I dont think so.
Winning a shitload of money for example is not a way to beat depression. If you were not messed up before there's a big chance the money will fuck you up good and proper. Just research what has happened to a lot of lotto winners.

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2007, 08:40:59 AM »
Winning a shitload of money for example is not a way to beat depression. If you were not messed up before there's a big chance the money will fuck you up good and proper. Just research what has happened to a lot of lotto winners.

You think they wish they never won the money, if they get depressed more with the cash, then they got a serious problem, they dont appriciate the cash, thats my take on it. They dont know how to enjoy the process, they just buy a lambourghini, and say ohh is this it? and they get bored, and lose the drive. With money you can make huge progress, in your personality, you can help others too, like helping the poor folks, and create some jobs. Winning the lottery is a good startpoint to become wealthy, if they dont know how to deal with the money, they re just plain dumb when it comes to mental knowledge.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2007, 11:13:40 AM »
Man sometimes, well most of the time, I get really bad anxiety for about 10 or 15 minutes after smoking weed.  I do have anxiety and used to be on Paxil about 3 years ago.  I had to cut down for 2 weeks before quitting and I was still fucked up for a few weeks going through a withdrawal.  As someone said earlier,  vivid dreams, spaced out feeling, eventually it goes away but it can really mess with you.  When I did a cycle last year I felt like a million bucks.  It was the best I felt in a long time.  Much rather do test-e than paxil.
yes marijuana will make you feel however you were feeling when you lit the joint..just excaggerated. and it will often times produce what is referred to as "opposite emotions"..where you feel exact opposite of what you normally would/should feel...   so if you are self concious when you lit the joint(or whatever), and your smoking the joint to become more relaxed and confident...your doing yourself no favors, the weed will make you more self concioouos.