Author Topic: Huckabee wanted to isolate AIDS patients  (Read 4283 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Huckabee wanted to isolate AIDS patients
« on: December 08, 2007, 12:00:31 PM »
I think this happens to everyone who surges and/or becomes a frontrunner.  I'm sure this won't be the last.  Loved his last statement (last paragraph).  He has been reading my notes.   :)

Huckabee wanted to isolate AIDS patients
By ANDREW DeMILLO
Associated Press Writer

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) -- Mike Huckabee once advocated isolating AIDS patients from the general public, opposed increased federal funding in the search for a cure and said homosexuality could "pose a dangerous public health risk."

As a candidate for a U.S. Senate seat in 1992, Huckabee answered 229 questions submitted to him by The Associated Press. Besides a quarantine, Huckabee suggested that Hollywood celebrities fund AIDS research from their own pockets, rather than federal health agencies.

"If the federal government is truly serious about doing something with the AIDS virus, we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague," Huckabee wrote.

"It is difficult to understand the public policy towards AIDS. It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents."

The AP submitted the questionnaire to both candidates; only Huckabee responded. Incumbent Sen. Dale Bumpers won his four term; Huckabee was elected lieutenant governor the next year and became governor in 1996.

When asked about AIDS research in 1992, Huckabee complained that AIDS research received an unfair share of federal dollars when compared to cancer, diabetes and heart disease.

"In light of the extraordinary funds already being given for AIDS research, it does not seem that additional federal spending can be justified," Huckabee wrote. "An alternative would be to request that multimillionaire celebrities, such as Elizabeth Taylor (,) Madonna and others who are pushing for more AIDS funding be encouraged to give out of their own personal treasuries increased amounts for AIDS research."

Huckabee did not return messages left with his campaign.

When Huckabee wrote his answers in 1992, it was common knowledge that AIDS could not be spread by casual contact. In late 1991, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said there were 195,718 AIDS patients in the country and that 126,159 people had died from the syndrome.

The nation had an increased awareness of AIDS at the time because pro basketball star Magic Johnson had recently disclosed he carried the virus responsible for it. Johnson retired but returned to the NBA briefly during the 1994-95 season.

Since becoming a presidential candidate this year, Huckabee has supported increased federal funding for AIDS research through the National Institutes of Health.

"My administration will be the first to have an overarching strategy for dealing with HIV and AIDS here in the United States, with a partnership between the public and private sectors that will provide necessary financing and a realistic path toward our goals," Huckabee said in a statement posted on his campaign Web site last month.

Also in the wide-ranging AP questionnaire in 1992, Huckabee said, "I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk."

A Southern Baptist preacher, Huckabee has been a favorite among social conservatives for his vocal opposition to gay marriage. In 2003, Huckabee said that the U.S. Supreme Court was probably right to strike down anti-sodomy laws, but that states still should be able to restrict things such as gay marriage or domestic partner benefits.

"What people do in the privacy of their own lives as adults is their business," Huckabee said. "If they bring it into the public square and ask me as a taxpayer to support it or to endorse it, then it becomes a matter of public discussion and discourse."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/HUCKABEE_AIDS?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Huckabee wanted to isolate AIDS patients
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 12:37:49 PM »
The genie is out of the bottle now, but had we the wherewithal and the ability to do so, would quarantining hiv/aids patients in the beginning have been a bad thing?  Certainly, it would be invidious to the people being quarantined, but if doing so could have isolated the virus and contained it millions of lives would have been spared.  Of course, in the beginning, few knew the toll hiv/aids would take, but the health professionals I routinely talk to say the failure to identify and quarantine the early pool of hiv/aids patients represents the biggest public health failure in our lifetimes.  :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 05:41:12 PM »
Huckabee's response:

Mike Huckabee Defends Advocating Isolation of AIDS Patients in 1992 Senate Race
Saturday, December 08, 2007

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. —  Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee on Saturday defended statements he made 15 years ago in which he advocated isolating AIDS patients from the general public and suggested homosexuality could "pose a dangerous public health risk."

Huckabee made the statements as a candidate for a U.S. Senate seat in 1992, the Associated Press reported, as part of his answers to 229 questions submitted to him by the AP.

But Huckabee said Saturday that he wrote those answers at a time when little was known about the virus.

"If I was making those same comments today, I might make them a little differently, but obviously I have to stand by what I said," he told reporters at a stop in Asheville, N.C., where he was peppered with questions.

"It's flattering that people now are digging back everything I ever wrote and ever said," he added. "And there must be something about my campaign that's catching on. But you know if the worst thing somebody can say about me is that 15 years ago I said that we need to be very careful about this transmission of disease, then I'm probably gonna be okay."

Huckabee released a detailed written statement earlier in the day defending his comments.

"In the late 80’s and early 90’s we were still learning about the virus that causes AIDS. My concern, as a Senate candidate at the time, was to deal with the virus using the same public health protocols that medical science and public health professionals would use with any infectious disease," he said. "Before a disease can be cured and contained we need to know exactly how and with near certainty what level of contact transmits the disease. There was still too much confusion about HIV transmission in those early years."

Huckabee said the focus at the time was to limit exposure, and that we now know the virus is spread differently than originally thought.

"But looking back almost 20 years, my concern was the uncertain risk to the general population — if we got it wrong, many people would die needlessly. My concern was safety first, political correctness last," he said.

He complimented the United States for leading the global battle against HIV/AIDS and said his administration would have an "overarching strategy" to deal with it.

The former Arkansas governor is attempting damage control on the issue at a time when his candidacy is surging. He has come from relative obscurity to challenge the top-tier GOP candidates not only in early test states, but nationally. The newfound popularity has made him a magnet for criticism from his rivals.

A new Newsweek poll showed Huckabee with 39 percent support among likely Republican caucus-goers in Iowa, and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney with just 17 percent.

The Southern Baptist preacher has also appealed to Christian conservatives for his vocal opposition to gay marriage and other stances.

But in the 1992 survey, Huckabee suggested several bizarre proposals. To one question, he suggested Hollywood celebrities fund AIDS research from their own pockets, rather than federal health agencies.

"If the federal government is truly serious about doing something with the AIDS virus, we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague," Huckabee wrote.

"It is difficult to understand the public policy towards AIDS. It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents."

Huckabee was elected lieutenant governor the next year and became governor of Arkansas in 1996.

When asked about AIDS research in 1992, Huckabee complained that AIDS research received an unfair share of federal dollars when compared to cancer, diabetes and heart disease.

Huckabee also wrote that: "I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk."

Huckabee said Saturday that he still believes homosexuality is "sinful."

When Huckabee wrote his answers in 1992, it was common knowledge that AIDS could not be spread by casual contact. In late 1991, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said there were 195,718 AIDS patients in the country and that 126,159 people had died from the syndrome.

Since becoming a presidential candidate this year, Huckabee has supported increased federal funding for AIDS research through the National Institutes of Health.

"My administration will be the first to have an overarching strategy for dealing with HIV and AIDS here in the United States, with a partnership between the public and private sectors that will provide necessary financing and a realistic path toward our goals," Huckabee said in a statement posted on his campaign Web site last month.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316228,00.html

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 06:11:05 PM »
Not to sound insensitive, but couldn't AIDS almost be defeated in the United States if it was Illegal for people with AIDS to have children, and outlaw them from having sex with anyone but other people with AIDS?

???
S

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 08:52:49 PM »
No.  It is illegal to do lots of things--driving over the speed limit for example--but virtually everyone breaks that law daily.  Now, try passing a law that proscribes people’s sexual behavior.  How many people do you think would obey such laws?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 09:05:24 PM »
Not to sound insensitive, but couldn't AIDS almost be defeated in the United States if it was Illegal for people with AIDS to have children, and outlaw them from having sex with anyone but other people with AIDS?

???
there are those who sleep with partners knowing they're postitive, but I'm thinking most people spread the virus before they know.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
No.  It is illegal to do lots of things--driving over the speed limit for example--but virtually everyone breaks that law daily.  Now, try passing a law that proscribes people’s sexual behavior.  How many people do you think would obey such laws?

there are those who sleep with partners knowing their postitive, but I'm thinking most people spread the virus before they know.

I wonder why I didn't consider either of those. :-X  Brain must be turned off for the night.  8)
S

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 06:56:47 AM »
If you passed law that positive people could only date/have sex with other + people many would resent it and try to get around it!  Voluntary compliance would never work. 

Any effort to limit sexual activity would have to be forced.  That is to say, one would have to isolate the population so the chance to break the rule would not be possible.  If, in the early days of HIV, we could have rounded up the say, the 100,000 people who were infected and isolated them, millions of lives could have potentially been spared, but the civil rights and liberties in this country would never allow for that kind of quarantining.

Even if that were possible, the virus could spread via international travelers.  We did a good job of limiting the bird flu and mad cow disease, but our country/world needs a much better system for identifying and isolating deadly viruses and their carriers.  hiv/aids was bad but there are many more--and more deadly--viruses in our future.  Hollywood has explored this idea/problem in a number of films . . .

People do not like to be stigmatized or to have their choices limited--for any reason--even when limiting their choices would serve the public good.

By the late 1980s and early 1990s, one could see a common element in (gay) personal ads.  They would often end with the phrase “HIV negative UB2” which meant that the person placing the ad was negative and only wanted replies from people who were also negative.  That would seem like  a reasonable desire, wouldn’t it?  But as the number of hiv+ people continued to climb, their political clout grew and a backlash emerged against personally discriminating against them.  Now, a new phrase is common in personal ads “No UB2” which most often means that the person placing the ad does not like the idea or practice of screening out hiv+ people.

These days it is politically incorrect to say you would not date someone who is hiv+.  How bizarre is that?

Purge_WTF

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 07:33:36 AM »
  I've pretty much lost all respect for Huckabee over the past few weeks. I agree that homosexuality is sinful, but cutting off AIDS patients from the rest of society is just plain firggin' stupid.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 10:33:55 AM »

???

Probably.  But you can say the same about pretty much any STD and any other infectious disease.  Would never work. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 05:01:37 PM »
Probably.  But you can say the same about pretty much any STD and any other infectious disease.  Would never work. 

Most STDs and infectious diseases are not an automatic death sentence.

Unless your name is Magic Johnson, HIV is an instant death sentence.

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 05:12:09 PM »
The best way to control AIDs is with education, needle exchange and promotion of safe sex (ie. use of condoms).

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 09:37:14 PM »
Most STDs and infectious diseases are not an automatic death sentence.

Unless your name is Magic Johnson, HIV is an instant death sentence.

People with HIV are living an average of 25 years after their diagnosis, so it's not really an "instant" death sentence.  http://aids.about.com/b/2006/11/11/how-long-can-you-live-after-an-hiv-diagnosis.htm

There are a number of infectious diseases that could be isolated if we quarantined everyone who had the disease, which I believe is essentially what he was asking about.  Some of them are arguably more dangerous and more deadly than HIV, including some forms of Hepatitis, influenza, and meningitis.  But quarantining people is unworkable. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 10:01:39 AM »
Good stuff.  If this is all that the MSM can come up with, Huck's surge will continue.  I love how they are using the term the "former baptist minister from Arkansas" to "slander" his character.  Reminds me of the tactics that some conservative media used against John Kerry - "the haughty, French-looking senator from Massachusetts who's wife is African-American".  That used to crack me up.  Wish they wouldn't stoop that low, but politics is truly dirty nowadays.  I guess they don't realize that pointing out that Huckabee (the "Gomer Pyle-looking former Ark. gov. who is also a southern baptist minister) is a minister will increase his popularity amongst evangelical voters.  Evangelicals still have a powerful influence, whether folks want to admit it or not.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 10:23:04 AM »
People with HIV are living an average of 25 years after their diagnosis, so it's not really an "instant" death sentence.  http://aids.about.com/b/2006/11/11/how-long-can-you-live-after-an-hiv-diagnosis.htm

You're the expert here  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 10:33:46 AM »
Good stuff.  If this is all that the MSM can come up with, Huck's surge will continue.  I love how they are using the term the "former baptist minister from Arkansas" to "slander" his character.  Reminds me of the tactics that some conservative media used against John Kerry - "the haughty, French-looking senator from Massachusetts who's wife is African-American".  That used to crack me up.  Wish they wouldn't stoop that low, but politics is truly dirty nowadays.  I guess they don't realize that pointing out that Huckabee (the "Gomer Pyle-looking former Ark. gov. who is also a southern baptist minister) is a minister will increase his popularity amongst evangelical voters.  Evangelicals still have a powerful influence, whether folks want to admit it or not.

I agree.  People are desperately digging through the archives and what they have uncovered so far isn't all that significant.  I don't like what I read about that release of the rapist while he was governor, but other than that they really haven't found any dirt on Huckabee.  It's a shame people are always so focused on finding skeletons.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 11:36:06 AM »
It's a shame people are always so focused on finding skeletons.  

No, it'd be a shame if we DIDN'T look for their skeletons.

The person elected President will have the power to personally start WWIII if he wants.

I'd like to think we fully research the guy before giving him the power to destroy the world.  That's just me, I really like this planet and my 6 bil neighbors.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 12:41:06 PM »
No, it'd be a shame if we DIDN'T look for their skeletons.

The person elected President will have the power to personally start WWIII if he wants.

I'd like to think we fully research the guy before giving him the power to destroy the world.  That's just me, I really like this planet and my 6 bil neighbors.

That's isn't what happens with presidential candidates.  It is a witch hunt that applies to both parties.  People aren't simply looking for policy positions; they are looking for things to try and embarrass a candidate. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 01:42:41 PM »
That's isn't what happens with presidential candidates.  It is a witch hunt that applies to both parties.  People aren't simply looking for policy positions; they are looking for things to try and embarrass a candidate. 

A candidate can only embarass themselves.

If you want ot have the most important job on the planet, DON'T DO EMBARASSING SHIT.

It's that easy.

There SHOULD be a witch hunt applied to both parties.  Are you saying you don't want to know how many years of muslim schooling Obama had?  Are you saying you don't want to know just how connected Rudy & Associates was to Kalid sheikh muhammed?

Dude, you should give a shit about things like this.  For someone so interested in politics, I thought you'd care more about things candidates do before entering office.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 01:50:23 PM »
A candidate can only embarass themselves.

If you want ot have the most important job on the planet, DON'T DO EMBARASSING SHIT.

It's that easy.

There SHOULD be a witch hunt applied to both parties.  Are you saying you don't want to know how many years of muslim schooling Obama had?  Are you saying you don't want to know just how connected Rudy & Associates was to Kalid sheikh muhammed?

Dude, you should give a shit about things like this.  For someone so interested in politics, I thought you'd care more about things candidates do before entering office.

That's absurd.  Everyone has done things they regret, but many of those things are completely irrelevant to a person's ability to be president, particularly when they are remote in time.  This is the kind of thinking that keeps good people from running for office.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 01:54:11 PM »
That's absurd.  Everyone has done things they regret, but many of those things are completely irrelevant to a person's ability to be president, particularly when they are remote in time.  This is the kind of thinking that keeps good people from running for office.   

Rudy's 2005 connection to a firm strongly connected to the mastermind of 911 = not important here?

You serious?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 04:29:46 PM »
Rudy's 2005 connection to a firm strongly connected to the mastermind of 911 = not important here?

You serious?

What?  I didn't say anything about Rudy and any ridiculous 911 conspiracy theory.  Go back and read what I said. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 09:14:05 PM »
What?  I didn't say anything about Rudy and any ridiculous 911 conspiracy theory.  Go back and read what I said. 

how embarassing.

you didn't see the news piece the last 2 weeks about Guiliani & Associates' connections to a man with very strong KSM connections, among other bad guts?

please watch the news, man.  This isn't 911 CT.  This is recent revelations about the shady shit his company has done that is still coming out.  Damn, I hate it when people come to the party underdressed, as you have arrived at this party lacking any knowledge of current events.  So fast to scream CT, you don't even watch the damn news.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 07:48:33 AM »
how embarassing.

you didn't see the news piece the last 2 weeks about Guiliani & Associates' connections to a man with very strong KSM connections, among other bad guts?

please watch the news, man.  This isn't 911 CT.  This is recent revelations about the shady shit his company has done that is still coming out.  Damn, I hate it when people come to the party underdressed, as you have arrived at this party lacking any knowledge of current events.  So fast to scream CT, you don't even watch the damn news.

lol.  Let's back up here.  I didn't say a word about Rudy.  I made the following comment: 

"That's absurd.  Everyone has done things they regret, but many of those things are completely irrelevant to a person's ability to be president, particularly when they are remote in time.  This is the kind of thinking that keeps good people from running for office."

To which you responded:

"Rudy's 2005 connection to a firm strongly connected to the mastermind of 911 = not important here?

You serious?"

Now kindly point out where I said anything about Rudy and a looney 911 conspiracy theory. 

Cap, can you please post your red herring picture?   :D

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 03:01:22 PM »
Of course, in the beginning, few knew the toll hiv/aids would take, but the health professionals I routinely talk to say the failure to identify and quarantine the early pool of hiv/aids patients represents the biggest public health failure in our lifetimes.  :-\

I'm sure the US Government knowingly allowing the Bayer pharmaceutical company to knowingly export HIV tainted factor X all over the world might be considered one of the biggest public health failures, ...but no one seems to want to take that into account.
w