Author Topic: BEST POSTWORKOUT CARB DRINK???  (Read 7506 times)

Lifter4Life

• Getbig III
  • I RUN THIS PLACE,GET USED TO IT!!
BEST POSTWORKOUT CARB DRINK???
« on: December 10, 2007, 07:25:38 AM »
Lets hear it.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: BEST POSTWORKOUT CARB DRINK???
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 08:35:28 AM »
there is no added benefit to replenishing glycogen levels any more rapidly than you could do with whole foods. and whole foods require more energy to digest, balance blood sugar levels better, and provide other nutrients with the carbs as well.   so IMO, post workout carb drinks are not needed. but for some people with super fast metabolisms and small appetites; they could be very useful tools. and for those people, waxy maize would b the best option for post workout carbs.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:18:57 AM »
 ??? after weight training it is very important to get nutrients to the muscle as quickly as possible so that recovery and growth can begin. the pwo carb is going to give you that quick insulin response that you need to shuttle those nutrients to the cells as well as supress cortisol.

as for the best carb to use i like the wms but dextose/malto also work well.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 10:30:12 AM »
Torrent from UN

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
??? after weight training it is very important to get nutrients to the muscle as quickly as possible so that recovery and growth can begin. the pwo carb is going to give you that quick insulin response that you need to shuttle those nutrients to the cells as well as supress cortisol.

as for the best carb to use i like the wms but dextose/malto also work well.

in my opinion...

i would agree that getting some fast acting proteins is important, but liquid carbs..eh, no. insulin is indeed a "storage" hormone, but you cannot speed the rate of protein synthesis by increasing insulin... the speed at which you can begin to repair muscles is dictated by your testosterone levels..a release of insulin dosnt increase testosterone levels, and thus doesnt increase the rate of protein synthesis..after your workout the majority of your blood is being pumped to the muscle that needs the protein most9the one you just worked out), and so any digested protein at that time will be shutttled to the cells that need it most without any insulin release... 

jdooly

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 05:36:07 PM »
I've been eating 8-10 egg whites and ice cream mixed in blender.   Hey, i'm not needing abs this winter!  Eat up.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 05:41:42 PM »
W a x y    M a i z e ! ! ! ! ! or Pure Vitargo

MassRuhlz

• Getbig II
  • Mass Ruhlz
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 03:44:37 AM »
Anybody remember the article about Cutler downing coca cola after a workout? Really best post workout drink?

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 04:11:03 AM »
Anybody remember the article about Cutler downing coca cola after a workout? Really best post workout drink?

Yeah, Tom Platz used to do this also.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 08:36:54 AM »

i dont know why cutler did  that but coke is full of high fructose corn syrup which has to be broken down in the liver so it does not help replenish muscle glycogen.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 10:09:36 AM »
what do you guys think about slamming a can of pineapple juice immediately after then about 10 minutes after that slam a 40 gram protien shake half whey and half casien then shortly after that the pw meal whatever your having....what do you guys think of that??

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 12:53:14 PM »
i dont know why cutler did  that but coke is full of high fructose corn syrup which has to be broken down in the liver so it does not help replenish muscle glycogen.
i have been told by people that have trained with cutler several times that what he does is take a pepsi, emtpy half of it, the pour half into a cup with 2 scoops of protein and mixes it together into a real thick consistancy like a slushy and eats it with a spoon as he leaves the gym. no joke...this is what eye witnesses have reported him doing on several occasions...  cutlers a weird dude.

what do you guys think about slamming a can of pineapple juice immediately after then about 10 minutes after that slam a 40 gram protien shake half whey and half casien then shortly after that the pw meal whatever your having....what do you guys think of that??
pineapple is a fruti, and fruit sugars are NOT glucose, and only glucose can replenish muscle glycogen...fruit sugars can replenish only liver glycogen, and after the liver is filled(which is a very small amount of glycogen), the remaining amount of fruit sugar is sent out into the blood stream as ffa's..(like a healthy fat)...so while fruits do provide alot of long term energy, just like the healthy fats, they do not provide the glycogen replenishment nor the insulin spike that people consume post workout carbs looking to attain.

so pineapple juice= bad choice.
20 grams of whey protein is all you need. drop the casein.
keep the post workout meal at least 45 mins after the post workout shake..but no longer than 2 hours after.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 12:57:37 PM »
The "optimal" post workout shake (if the usage of one is preferred) can not be determined without knowing the other variables in your nutrition program.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 04:00:58 PM »
what would be a good example of a natural pw carb?  by natural i  mean like whole foods...and yes my pw meal comes about 45 minutes after my pw shake...and my day as a whole for eating is like this...
2 servings of oatmeal in the morning with a 20 gram protien whey shake
usually chicken breast with hot sauce greens and rice and a slice of multi grain bread and for lunch
about hour and a half after lunch 40 gram whey shake
my preworkout Noxplod shake (which i am finally done with tomorrow thank god) workout hour to hour and a half sometimes..
i have been eating dates and pjneapple juice and fruits for my sugar then 15 minutes later a 40 gram shake half whey half casein
about 45 minutes from that depending on the night its  teryaki pork chop or chicken breast (hot sauce on everything) with greens and some rice or baked sweet potatoe...
a 20 gram casein shake before bed...
thats pretty much my diet in a shell i also drink water all day and take the Animal Pak Multi with lunch....not the greatest i know but im not a BB i mean iwant to get huge but i dont have the time or money or appetite to eat 6 times a day...i work 13-14 hours a day 6 days on 3 days off so suggestions comments advice i know im putting myslef out there but wtf why not...

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 04:10:47 PM »
Torrent from UN
i used that stuff for a little while, good stuff, Welch's grape juice with some creatine is great too.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 04:40:39 PM »
Torrent from UN

I've used it. Good stuff but way too expensive.

FOXTROT-1

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 10:02:52 PM »
It's a different ballgame when you also slam 2-4iu's of humulin post-workout with something full of sugar. What applies to the PROS doesn't apply to us.

FT1

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 10:28:54 PM »
40 grams of whey isolate with 60grams of vitargo..........

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 12:26:04 PM »
to answer the quaestion about whats the best "natural" crbs post workout...meaning best whole foods..    the answer depnds on how hungry of a person you are. if you have a huge appetite, then broccoli or green beans would be the best way to replenish glycogen.. a shit load of them.  if your not that hungry of a person, then oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat tortillas all would be good choices. or you could always just overeat on protein... the remaiing protein will be converted to glucose and fill uup your glycogen stores. just figure out how much protein your body can synthesize in one meal...the add to that double the amount of carbs you want, and eat that many grams of protein.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 12:47:01 PM »
to answer the quaestion about whats the best "natural" crbs post workout...meaning best whole foods..    the answer depnds on how hungry of a person you are. if you have a huge appetite, then broccoli or green beans would be the best way to replenish glycogen.. a shit load of them.  if your not that hungry of a person, then oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat tortillas all would be good choices. or you could always just overeat on protein... the remaiing protein will be converted to glucose and fill uup your glycogen stores. just figure out how much protein your body can synthesize in one meal...the add to that double the amount of carbs you want, and eat that many grams of protein.

Dude, stop please. Broccoli and Green Beans are not good post workout whole foods. Plus, they are fiberous carbs and no way they will replenish glycogen.

Rice Cake, White Rice, etc. for whole food options.

Green Beans, man o man... ???

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 12:57:49 PM »
It's a different ballgame when you also slam 2-4iu's of humulin post-workout with something full of sugar. What applies to the PROS doesn't apply to us.

FT1

yes, still high fructose corn syrup isnt the best way to go.

also in cutlers case it would be more like 10iu's of pwo humulin.

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 01:17:56 PM »
2 cups skim milk with 1 serving whey. thats what i use. but im also cheap

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 03:10:09 PM »
just out of curiousity how do you figure out how much protien your body can synthesize in one meal? 

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 03:55:02 PM »
Dude, stop please. Broccoli and Green Beans are not good post workout whole foods. Plus, they are fiberous carbs and no way they will replenish glycogen.

Rice Cake, White Rice, etc. for whole food options.

Green Beans, man o man... ???
one bag of frozen green beans equals roughly 30 grams of carbs. the same amount of broccoli yields pretty much the same amount of carbs. so two, maybe three bags of green beans/broccoli will be plenty to replenish glycogen. and by replenishing with either of those, you are doing much more than just eating carbs...the broccoli is an extremely potent estrogen blocker, fiber will remove any fat sitting in your digestive track, and both contains tons of vitamines and minerals wich will help you digest and utilize whatever protein you eat post workout a million times better. rice, oatmeal, or anyother type of carb wont do any of that for you. plus...they dont allow you to eat a big amount of food...and for a hungry person(like myself) being able to eat large quantities of food is necessary. very necessary..

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2007, 03:59:46 PM »
one bag of frozen green beans equals roughly 30 grams of carbs. the same amount of broccoli yields pretty much the same amount of carbs. so two, maybe three bags of green beans/broccoli will be plenty to replenish glycogen. and by replenishing with either of those, you are doing much more than just eating carbs...the broccoli is an extremely potent estrogen blocker, fiber will remove any fat sitting in your digestive track, and both contains tons of vitamines and minerals wich will help you digest and utilize whatever protein you eat post workout a million times better. rice, oatmeal, or anyother type of carb wont do any of that for you. plus...they dont allow you to eat a big amount of food...and for a hungry person(like myself) being able to eat large quantities of food is necessary. very necessary..

Once again you are missing the point, broccolli and green beans are FIBEROUS CARBS. Meaning, they digest SLOW and doubt they replenish glycogen at all. Post workout carbs need to get to the muscle FAST, meaning higher glycemic. However, a product like Waxy Maize and/or Vitargo will replenish glycogen efficently without the bloat and gastric distess of maltodextrin and dextrose, which use to be the standard.

Food sources need to be easily digested, like rice cakes, white rice. All carbs are not equal!!! Fiberous carbs are great for caloric restriction (Dieting) but not for post workout.