Author Topic: Elbow  (Read 4466 times)

kevcat

• Getbig IV
Elbow
« on: December 12, 2007, 06:28:50 AM »
Ive been getting elbow problems recently, it feels like its tendons/joints.Seems to be caused by heavy DB shrugging when i reach the bottom of the rep, the stretching part seems to kill my elbow area ( front of ).I do keep my arms straight on shrugs and use straps so maybe bending my arms a little and not relying on straps could be it??? Obviously ive not had a chance to try this yet as iv not touched a weight in over a week since its been painful. Anyone else had this???

GoneAway

• Getbig V
Re: Elbow
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 06:40:32 AM »
maybe bending my arms a little and not relying on straps could be it???

bingo. u should not lock ur elbows for longer than a few seconds when handing heavy weight under any circumstance. puts ur elbow under too much pressure

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 04:02:52 PM »
Basically experiment with different ROMs and find what doesn't cause pain, do that for a while and if it works there's no reason to go back to the old way that causes problems.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 05:59:39 AM »
Thanx guys.It seems to basically only happen with DB shrugs and not BB shrugs, though i personally prefer doing the DB version as i get a better feeling in my traps.Guess ill just lighten the load, do the reps a lil slower and dont let my arms stretch at the bottom.Cheers again

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 06:02:59 AM »
i have tennis elbow failure and its hurting more and more...any advices?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 06:14:02 AM »
i have tennis elbow failure and its hurting more and more...any advices?

I had golfer's elbow, which is similar. Basically you have to use trial & error with different exercises to find out which one(s) exactly are causing the aggrevation, which is a chronic thing that builds up over time. Once you know which exercises are causing it, use different grips and/or ROM to avoid the problem, and if that's not enough, switch exercises.

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 06:17:07 AM »
skull crushers with w bar is what its giving me most problems, which other exercise is as good as that one, to replace it?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 06:27:22 AM »
skull crushers with w bar is what its giving me most problems, which other exercise is as good as that one, to replace it?

Skull crushers is a classic for creating elbow probs, and is not nearly as effective as lying extensions for size.

First of all after taking a break from skulls to let the elbows heal, then try extensions instead, since they're the best for size. Lower the weight well below the bench, getting a good stretch. It's also ok to cheat a little from the bottom to get the weight moving.

Doing this on a slight decline can also help remove elbow stress.

Also try different bar grips-E-Z curl bar, triceps hammer bar, or 2 hands around the end of one dumbbell; can be easier on the elbows. Or try lying extensions using a low pulley and rope attachment.

On top of that, ensure that these are done after some other compound triceps exercise is done first, something like close grip benches or dips.

Keep the reps moderate to high, 8-12 reps or so, and rests between sets at max. one minute, to keep the area warm.

If lying extensions can't be done at all, use the high lat pulley when facing in the other direction to do extensions.

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 06:34:26 AM »
These are the exercises im doing man.

ez bar skull crushers
triceps pushdown
reverse grip triceps pushdown
dips

So, replace ez bar skull crushers with close grip benches?
thank you for the help, right now my elbows hurt so much :)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 06:40:33 AM »
These are the exercises im doing man.

ez bar skull crushers
triceps pushdown
reverse grip triceps pushdown
dips

So, replace ez bar skull crushers with close grip benches?
thank you for the help, right now my elbows hurt so much :)

Please reread what i said: replace skulls with lying extensions, and do pushdowns, close-grips or dips before extensions, to warm up the elbows.

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 06:47:19 AM »
Alright man, thanks for the advice.

Im gonna visit a doctor soon anyway, i dont want this to stay forever hehe

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 06:50:10 AM »
Alright man, thanks for the advice.

Im gonna visit a doctor soon anyway, i dont want this to stay forever hehe

The doc will only help you short-term; read what i said if you want to avoid this in future. If you do the same thing over and over again the problem will return.

koolie1

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 04:39:01 PM »
Is the pain in one arm? I tore my distal biceps tendon (just below elbow) from doing shrugs. Does it hurt when you do curls? You should always see a doctor if something concerns you. People on here tend to think they are doctors.