Author Topic: Front Squat Injury  (Read 2949 times)

osakachero

• Getbig I
Front Squat Injury
« on: December 13, 2007, 05:32:17 AM »
I love doing front squats but I've blown my knee out about 3 times now while doing them.  All three times were on my warm-up (very light weight) set.   
Any suggestions on why this keeps happening and how I can prevent it?

Note: Never had a problem with my knee doing any other exercise. 

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Re: Front Squat Injury
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 07:27:48 AM »
Explain your form a bit more because I do these all the time and never have knee pain.
Squishy face retard

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 08:19:29 AM »
If it's already happened 3 time, you already have yourself to blame for even continuing a problem exercise. Whether you figured out what it was or not there was no reason to stay with that exercise.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 08:20:46 AM »
I am taking a guess here (with the limited information you gave about your injury) but maybe the knee was not completely healed when you returned to front squating. Knee health and recovery can fool anyone. When you think their ready for some serious work, they really may need a couple more weeks from any workout action. Might even have a slight tear/rupture around the area if a burning feeling starts. This will require much more rest.

As far as warm-ups go, you might consider using light knee wraps (nothing too tight) to keep warmth around the area. Or even a heating rub/lotion before and after training that area. If you are using a Smith machine, some  people will find that the straight up and down locked in movement (as opposed to the natural "S" curve of the exercise with free weights) can cause knee/back problems.  And others  think the Smith is the greatest thing since sliced bread for leg work. Will depend on body mechanics for the most part. The Smith machine can be a good tool for workouts, just that it is not meant for every body type or every exercise. Good Luck.
F

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 10:33:59 AM »
In addition to what JP said,  I'm guessing incorrect form along with tight/weak hams and glutes.  Box squatting ~ front and/or rear ~ might be a good alternative for now.
: