Author Topic: Have you met any bodybuilding pros?  (Read 75663 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Have you met any bodybuilding pros?
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2008, 04:55:57 PM »
I go back a bit further so I've had the opportunity to meet many great bodybuilders you never had the opportunity to say, "Howdy" to.

Reeves was the first I can recall, (he was still a teenager then) then Eifferman, and Terpak, and Hilligen,and Clancey Ross, and Strohl, and Stephans, and Lewis and his beautiful wife, Sheri, and Don Peterson, and Mozee, and Bill Pearl, Larry Scott, and Gironda, and Bill Grant, and Arnold and Franco, and Sergio and Serge, and Platz and Ferrigno and Jeff King, and Lee Labrada, and ,Jeff and Cory and, Lisa/Liza?? Lyons, and Ray and Mike, and Strydom, and Rich Gaspari, and Peter G.,  and Porter, and Chick, and most of  the new top guys coming up such as Curry, and Trey and Peter Putnam and Flex, and Daniel Hill (Germany) and just about all of the above guys mentioned in previous posts and a few others whom I've already forgotten.

And Joe and Ben and Betty and most of the guys who helped form up the IFBB and the majority of those individuals who initially formed up the NPC.

And I've met and mingled with the likes of Ernie, and Zabo, and Arty, and Manion and Corvello, and Nuckles, and Bill Smith, and Birdsong and doctors from every branch of the medical profession who have contributed to the "sport" in one form or another. And most of those who have written the "rules" that competitors are supposed to abide by today. And the majority of the photographers who shoot for the major magazines.

I've been around the bodybuilding block a few times and have only tripped off the curb on rare occasions .... meaning I have seldom met a bodybuilding athlete or associate who I have no respect for. In fact, those I don't respect can be counted on half the fingers of my left hand.

Moosejay

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2008, 05:01:08 PM »
Hey Stunt...great post.

I have to include Bill Grant and Zabo and I judged with Manion.

I even sat a few seats away from Robert Deniro who was at end of judging table at Ken Kassell's Women's Extravaganza some years ago at the Meadowlands.

Anyway to still contact Clancy Ross...must be 84 now, but I am sure, If Jack L is any indication, he should have his wits about him.

Does Clancy do any appearances or anything?

Mike

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2008, 07:24:16 PM »
Mike, I haven't heard anything about Clancy in a hell of a long time and, to be honest with ya, I don't even know if he is still among the living.

Did you also know Pat Ruhl or Joe Nazzario? I can't locate either of them any longer.

I met Jack L. a few times. Back in the 50's he  had a small gym on the fifth floor of an old building on Market Street in San Francisco. I think that is where he started in the gym business. Then he eventually went big time with another place on Market Street closer to the center of the shopping area (in the vicinity of the Powell Street cable car turnstyle) and that place had all chrome equipment and carpet and clean mirrors. And from there he just grew throughout No and So Cal.

Jack was well known in the Bay Area for doing unbelievable feats on his birthdays, such as swimming across San Francisco under the Golden Gate Bridge, swimming to and from Alcatraz, and one year even swimming while pulling a boat load of people. Crazy stuff!

My best friend's wife used to be the only model he used in those days for his "SPA" newspaper ads. They would just change her head each month so it appeared that they were using many different models.

Do you recall a gym chain that lasted less than a year by the name of American Health Studios?

thepeg

• Getbig II
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2008, 05:29:07 AM »
tom prince used to train at the same gym as me b4 he moved to cali and made pro. very strong, i spotted him on front shoulder presses he was using over 315...free weight not a smith machine. saw hulk hogen at the gym a little over a month ago.

Moosejay

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
Mike, I haven't heard anything about Clancy in a hell of a long time and, to be honest with ya, I don't even know if he is still among the living.

Did you also know Pat Ruhl or Joe Nazzario? I can't locate either of them any longer.

I met Jack L. a few times. Back in the 50's he  had a small gym on the fifth floor of an old building on Market Street in San Francisco. I think that is where he started in the gym business. Then he eventually went big time with another place on Market Street closer to the center of the shopping area (in the vicinity of the Powell Street cable car turnstyle) and that place had all chrome equipment and carpet and clean mirrors. And from there he just grew throughout No and So Cal.

Jack was well known in the Bay Area for doing unbelievable feats on his birthdays, such as swimming across San Francisco under the Golden Gate Bridge, swimming to and from Alcatraz, and one year even swimming while pulling a boat load of people. Crazy stuff!

My best friend's wife used to be the only model he used in those days for his "SPA" newspaper ads. They would just change her head each month so it appeared that they were using many different models.

Do you recall a gym chain that lasted less than a year by the name of American Health Studios?

Clancy is living...pretty sure of that. He is in Cali, aboyt 84 years old.

Nazzario, yes. Read about a comeback a year or two ago in one of the mags. Believe he is in Florida.

Was Ruhl an America competitro in the late 70's?

Yes, I do recall hearing of American Health Studios.

Mike

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2008, 12:21:17 PM »
I worked security at the Europa so I got to met a lot of guys.
I got Trey Brewer, Johnny Stewart, Kai Green, Michal Locket, George Farra to all autograph pics for my gym.
I used to work out at Metroflex a lot and I would see Branch and QT in there all the time but I never talked to them.  The owner Brian Dobson is very nice.

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2008, 06:21:55 AM »
Met quite a few.  The only prick i've ever come across was Lou Ferrigno.  VCormier had to be the coolest.  Berry DeMay, Matarazzo, Shawn Ray and Lee Haney were real nice and personalbe.  Lee Haney actually took the time to talk to me after a show I did in 1990 where I did not place too high.  Chris Duffy was cool too, but maybe he was just trying to hit on me :o

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2008, 11:54:53 AM »
Thanks, Moose! If you or anyone ever comes in contact with Joe Nazzario, pls have him contact me through this board.

And I'll do my best to check on Clancy's present status.

I don't recall Ruhl competing in the 70's but I'm bad when it comes to days/months/and years; so there is a strong possibility that I could be wrong.

I believe American Health Studios was a partnership between some of those old time bodybuilders back in the late 50's/ early 60's but it didn't last too long.

I was a pretty strong bench presser back then and I recall training at downtown San Francisco AHS location on Golden Gate Ave when Steve Reeves happened to visit the place and took a seat to watch me do some heavy benching for a few minutes.

I guess he was meeting friends there because once they arrived, he said something complimentary and took off.

Can anyone else in this forum claim that he/she got a lifting compliment from the MAN (soon to be Hercules) himself?

Moosejay

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2008, 10:54:47 PM »
Thanks, Moose! If you or anyone ever comes in contact with Joe Nazzario, pls have him contact me through this board.

And I'll do my best to check on Clancy's present status.

I don't recall Ruhl competing in the 70's but I'm bad when it comes to days/months/and years; so there is a strong possibility that I could be wrong.

I believe American Health Studios was a partnership between some of those old time bodybuilders back in the late 50's/ early 60's but it didn't last too long.

I was a pretty strong bench presser back then and I recall training at downtown San Francisco AHS location on Golden Gate Ave when Steve Reeves happened to visit the place and took a seat to watch me do some heavy benching for a few minutes.

I guess he was meeting friends there because once they arrived, he said something complimentary and took off.

Can anyone else in this forum claim that he/she got a lifting compliment from the MAN (soon to be Hercules) himself?

Ruhl may have been in the 78 America, but that may have been a 'Ruhlman'

And no...never had seen or met Reeves....awesome for you, though!

skullcrusher

• Getbig II
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2008, 12:49:20 PM »
Mohamed makkaway, the late greg de ferro, Boyer Coe, Tom Platz, and bumped into Dennis James the day after the colorado pro last year, real nice guy. Massive!

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2008, 06:08:32 PM »

Chris Dickerson-I swear he looked at me in a lascivious way -thought-correctly...this one must be gay-just before he won O.
HAHA! you know, mike mentzer always use to say that dickerson was a queer.

Slintowin4424

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Seminar May 10 in brea message me for details
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2008, 08:09:58 PM »
Chick, SHawn Ray, Chris cormier, Flex lewis, Flex wheeler, Lee Priest, Milos Sarcev, Millimar Sarcev, Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler, Troy Alves, Silvio Samuel, Hide, Dennis Wolfe, Armin Scholtz, Melvin Anthony,  Dennis James and I have trained with many of them too.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2008, 11:25:06 PM »
Let's see ...

Craig Titus, Branch Warren, Johnnie Jackson, Dexter Jackson, Bob Chic., Chris Cook, Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler, Shawn Ray, Chris Cormier, Flex Wheeler, Lee Priest, Dennis Wolf, Milos Sarcev, Troy Alves, Samuel Silvio, Melvin Anthony, Dennis James, Armin Scholtz, Markus Ruhl, Greg Kovacs, Kevin Levrone, and many, many more !  :)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2008, 09:10:59 AM »
wow alot of you guys have met gh15 ;)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2008, 06:13:31 PM »
Roy Callendar-pleasant, easy going.

Chris Dickerson-articulate, remembers names, urbane.

Robby Robinson-friendly in a slightly edgy way.

Roger Walker-kinda rough, your typical Aussie lout. :D

Schwarzenegger-always an agenda, won't do anything for the hell of it, IMO.

An avalanche here suggesting that Louie's a dick. ;D

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2008, 04:02:50 PM »
I trained at Mustafa's gym and once he spotted me on squats.
He told me I am strong and should be training hard as long as I'm young (I was 33 at that time)  :)

Despite his reputation he is a very funny guy and treats his gym members like family.

duncanlukas

• Getbig II
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2008, 06:13:54 PM »
i just have to chuckle whenever i read about some of these complaining that pros blew them off or didn't want to talk to them...reality check...they are the pros, not you, they don't know who the fuck you are and they don't care about you..what the fuck do u want them to say..."hey wanna kick it later"..stfu and dont complain when pros blow u off, their just people, relax.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2008, 05:46:46 PM »
I trained at Mustafa's gym and once he spotted me on squats.
He told me I am strong and should be training hard as long as I'm young (I was 33 at that time)  :)

Despite his reputation he is a very funny guy and treats his gym members like family.
where is mustafa's gym at?

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2008, 06:39:42 AM »
where is mustafa's gym at?

Come on Candi!  You know VERY VERY WELL how to work a search engine. ;D ;D

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2008, 02:59:23 PM »

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2008, 07:54:28 PM »

Come on Candi!  You know VERY VERY WELL how to work a search engine. ;D ;D
okay ill give it to you...

thats soem funny shit!!
 ;D

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2008, 08:02:44 PM »
i just have to chuckle whenever i read about some of these complaining that pros blew them off or didn't want to talk to them...reality check...they are the pros, not you, they don't know who the fuck you are and they don't care about you..what the fuck do u want them to say..."hey wanna kick it later"..stfu and dont complain when pros blow u off, their just people, relax.

Breathe. ;)

BigIronMike25

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2008, 10:24:28 AM »
I met Chris Cormier back in 2002....he was by far the coolest, nicest pro Ive ever met...he talked to each person in line for 3-5 mins...really cool dude

I met Tom Prince briefly back in his hey day (when he was 300+)...truthfully he was soo huge i was scared to death....hahahha  not really but you know what i mean

Also met Flex Wheeler back in his prime and was amazed at how freaky vascular he was....he seemed to be EXTREMELY cocky though, but ive heard thats just flex

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2008, 05:24:59 PM »
I met Bob Birdsong in the gym in the early 80's. i was an early teenager just starting to lift. I remember he was huge and about 5'0. But i just read that he is 5'8! too much booze over the years for me i guess, memory fading. Anyway, i was squatting heavy (probably 85 lbs), he walked by and said "you're making progress." Shit i thought i was tom platz.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2008, 01:32:59 AM »
I met Bob Birdsong in the gym in the early 80's. i was an early teenager just starting to lift. I remember he was huge and about 5'0. But i just read that he is 5'8! too much booze over the years for me i guess, memory fading. Anyway, i was squatting heavy (probably 85 lbs), he walked by and said "you're making progress." Shit i thought i was tom platz.

LOL ! Great Story !  :)