Author Topic: Have you met any bodybuilding pros?  (Read 75678 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Have you met any bodybuilding pros?
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2008, 06:00:46 PM »
I've met Stan McCrary at the 2005 Southeastern USA. I think he was still with MuscleTech at the time. He was promoting his video and other wares, and I believe his girlfriend was competing in the figure show there. She won her class; but the overall title went to the same girl who won the fitness show (she was the only competitor in that one).

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • myspace.com/babyhercules1914
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2008, 08:57:43 PM »
I've met quite a few at various competitions I've done. All were cool. Lee Haney, Don Long, Kevin Levrone, Shawn Ray, Gunter Schlierkamp, Lee Priest, Willie Stallings, Toney Freeman, Tricky Jackson, Jimmy Canyon just to name a few.
There are several pros who work out at the gym where I train. The gym owner is Jonathan Rowe, his training partner is Roc Shabazz. Leo Ingram trains there as well as Kim Buck and Carmella Cureton.

Fourslot40

• Getbig II
  • DAMN!
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
Back in 1995 or so, I was visiting Louisville and met Porter Cortrell at a restaurant.  Back then, Porter was all over and popular.  Honestly, it would be hard pressed to find a more polite and personable bodybuilder in the industry.  Not only did he not mind being interrupted while out dining with a friend but he took the time to talk with us.  The one thing that really stood out about the type of character he has, is that he asked for my address to send an autographed photo because he felt bad he didn't have anything to sign.  Porter took my address and a few weeks later actually sent a autographed photo like he said he would.  How many guys of celebrity status in ANY forum of sport would do what they say like that?  Just a class act all the way.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2008, 05:58:02 PM »
I got to meet Jay in Vegas a cuple of years back at the airport. He was realy cool and offered to take a pic with me.
Great pic, egads, look at Jays arm in that pic...ripped mass!

I have met many of the pros over the last 30 yrs. If you are curious and want to know about one , ask and I will tell what I know from my personal experience, if any.
Howard
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2008, 06:02:14 PM »
I've met quite a few at various competitions I've done. All were cool. Lee Haney, Don Long, Kevin Levrone, Shawn Ray, Gunter Schlierkamp, Lee Priest, Willie Stallings, Toney Freeman, Tricky Jackson, Jimmy Canyon just to name a few.
There are several pros who work out at the gym where I train. The gym owner is Jonathan Rowe, his training partner is Roc Shabazz. Leo Ingram trains there as well as Kim Buck and Carmella Cureton.
Hey Herc, are you going to be at the Atlantic states this weekend? I will.

Roc S stole the hearts of the crowd over Gustavo Badell guest posing with him at last yrs NPC show in Gadsen , AL.
His booth rocked and his routine was pretty cool.

Oh someone just posted that Porter Cotrell was a great guy. I can tell you, that you would have hard time finding anyone in bodybuilding who is better person that Porter.
Howard
Howard

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2008, 07:12:14 PM »
Hey Herc, are you going to be at the Atlantic states this weekend? I will.

Roc S stole the hearts of the crowd over Gustavo Badell guest posing with him at last yrs NPC show in Gadsen , AL.
His booth rocked and his routine was pretty cool.

Oh someone just posted that Porter Cotrell was a great guy. I can tell you, that you would have hard time finding anyone in bodybuilding who is better person that Porter.
Howard
Howard

My wife and I bought tickets to see Chris Rock this weekend. If I go to the Atlantic I'll be at the prejudging. How about you?

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2008, 11:10:59 AM »
My father knew Joe Weider from the 1950's and also judged the 1973 Mr. Olympia contest where he met Arnold. When I was 14 I saw the film Pumping Iron and got obsessed with bodybuilding. I had my dad take me to see the Mr. Olympia in 1977 when I was 15 and I met Arnold. He let me and my dad go backstage and meet all the guys.  I also went to the 1978 Olympia as well and got backstage. Then Joe Weider arranged it so I could stay at Mike Mentzer's apartment for a week with him and his girlfriend when I was about 16. He put me through his Heavy Duty workouts at the Gold's gym and he was very nice. I remember he was impressesed with my nutritional and training knowledge I already had at such a young age. I also met Boyer Coe when I was there. He was extremely friendly and I ended up going to Louisiana about 6 months later to train with him as he was preparing for the 78 Mr. Olympia. These were some great experiences. A few months before the '79 Mr. Olympia, Arnold calls my house and asks to speak to my dad. My father was pretty well known as a big investor in the Finance world and Arnold asked him if he would invest in a documentary film he was making about weight training in prison. My father decided not to invest. Anyhow, I show up at the 79 Olympia with a friend of mine and I go backstage because Arnold always told me to go backstage every year. So Arnold walks over to me and screams at me, "Get out of here! You're not allowed back here!" I was in shock because he acted like he didn't recognize me, when a few months before he spotted me at World Gym and came up to me and spoke to me for like 20 minutes. So I go Arnold, it's me ..... and he says, "Get the Hell out of here!" I didn't figure it out till later that this was his message to my dad for not investing with him. True story.

Moosejay

« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
Chemist...those are great great stories....particularly w/ Coe and Mentzer...Arnold...well what an asshole and totally believable 100%

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »
Chemist...those are great great stories....particularly w/ Coe and Mentzer...Arnold...well what an asshole and totally believable 100%
For about a year after the 79 olympia, I would call Arnold's office and his secretary would answer. I've always been good at doing impressions, so she would think I was Joe Weider and put Arnold on the phone. Then after a few seconds, Arnold would figure it out and go, "Who da hell is dis?".  Then I called once and fooled his secretary into thinking I was Clint Eastwood. Now this was in 79 before Arnold had made Conan..he had made a ridiculous film called the Villain, playing a cowboy role. So Arnold gets on the phone(I did a flawless Eastwood imitation, even as a teen) and he's like "Mr. Eastwood, let me tell you, I have always admired you. Your movies are totally fantastic and I love da vay you also direct your own movies. It's an incredible honor to speak with you." So I tell him "Well, I was hoping we could talk about my new Dirty Harry movie because I've got a great part for you in it." Now he's like creaming his pants and he goes, "REALLY?" Then switching back to my Weider voice I go, "Just kidding Arnold, It's me!" He screams, "God damn you!" and slams the phone down. I had all this on a cassette tape and I used to play it for people. Too bad the tape broke on me.

Moosejay

« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2008, 04:03:56 PM »
Shit...that is so awesome...that fucker is always pulling shit on others...he deserves that very much...and it is way too bad the tape is gone.

You got balls doing that...and as a kid, too. Fuck him!

I had George Butler call my office on two occasions...but never spoke to him. He left two messages....the second one I kept on my machine for nearly a year...until one of my staff erased it!

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2008, 09:31:50 PM »
Shit...that is so awesome...that fucker is always pulling shit on others...he deserves that very much...and it is way too bad the tape is gone.

You got balls doing that...and as a kid, too. Fuck him!

I had George Butler call my office on two occasions...but never spoke to him. He left two messages....the second one I kept on my machine for nearly a year...until one of my staff erased it!
Hey Moosejay, it sounds like you've been into this scene as long as me,so you might get a kick out of this Frank Zane story. I was at a Frank Zane seminar in Miami, Florida..late 70's.. he's lecturing with a blackboard and going into a lot of detail(probably because he used to be a school teacher) and there's this dorky looking guy who's about 6 feet and weighs all of 120 pounds. He's what we nowadays would call an attention deficit disorder individual. He would keep blurting out shit and interupting Zane. He suddenly yells out, "Mr. Zane, would you write me out a Bulk routine?" Zane tells him to just keep listening and he learn all he needs to know. Then the dork says, "Excuse me, Mr. Zane but.. Larry Scott wrote me a Bulk Routine!" Zane loooks at him and says, " yeah..it's obviously working real good." Then Zane starts talking about the mental side and says, " When I walk on stage or even..in a room, I project total confidence and people, whether they are judges at the Mr. Olympia or whatever perceive me as a winner." Then he walks up to the dork, points at him and says.."But if this Guy walks in a room with that attitude, he would be laughed at. In other words, you have to be able to back it up". The dork walked out to the parking lot, got in his car and drove away. I'll never forget it. Zane owned him!

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2008, 09:38:47 PM »
Great Stories, Chemist ( Frank Zane's Nickname, I do believe  ;) ) ! It's a real pleasure to have you on this Board ! Please keep them coming !  :)

Moosejay

« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2008, 04:32:50 PM »
Hey Moosejay, it sounds like you've been into this scene as long as me,so you might get a kick out of this Frank Zane story. I was at a Frank Zane seminar in Miami, Florida..late 70's.. he's lecturing with a blackboard and going into a lot of detail(probably because he used to be a school teacher) and there's this dorky looking guy who's about 6 feet and weighs all of 120 pounds. He's what we nowadays would call an attention deficit disorder individual. He would keep blurting out shit and interupting Zane. He suddenly yells out, "Mr. Zane, would you write me out a Bulk routine?" Zane tells him to just keep listening and he learn all he needs to know. Then the dork says, "Excuse me, Mr. Zane but.. Larry Scott wrote me a Bulk Routine!" Zane loooks at him and says, " yeah..it's obviously working real good." Then Zane starts talking about the mental side and says, " When I walk on stage or even..in a room, I project total confidence and people, whether they are judges at the Mr. Olympia or whatever perceive me as a winner." Then he walks up to the dork, points at him and says.."But if this Guy walks in a room with that attitude, he would be laughed at. In other words, you have to be able to back it up". The dork walked out to the parking lot, got in his car and drove away. I'll never forget it. Zane owned him!

Oh, man...that is beautiful!

Zane was my #1 idol growing up....3 years aso I went to his 12 day 'Zane Experience'...it was very good...he is still in good shape, and he even played us some tunes on his guitar and flutes each day. Definitely different but I learned alot. I occasionally write for his newsletter. He is very cerebral...and I can imagine exactly what you described with that nutty skinny dude at the seminar!-wish I was there for it :)

Yeah...I am 44 and have been at it about 30 years...like you.

Mike

Moosejay

« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2008, 04:34:03 PM »
btw...that was Zane's 2 day experience...not 12 day!

Slintowin4424

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Seminar May 10 in brea message me for details
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2008, 04:57:01 PM »
New topic how many have you trained with

Moosejay

« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2008, 05:21:03 PM »
Trained with:

Zane
Katz
R Robinson
Aaron Baker

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2008, 07:50:16 PM »
For about a year after the 79 olympia, I would call Arnold's office and his secretary would answer. I've always been good at doing impressions, so she would think I was Joe Weider and put Arnold on the phone. Then after a few seconds, Arnold would figure it out and go, "Who da hell is dis?".  Then I called once and fooled his secretary into thinking I was Clint Eastwood. Now this was in 79 before Arnold had made Conan..he had made a ridiculous film called the Villain, playing a cowboy role. So Arnold gets on the phone(I did a flawless Eastwood imitation, even as a teen) and he's like "Mr. Eastwood, let me tell you, I have always admired you. Your movies are totally fantastic and I love da vay you also direct your own movies. It's an incredible honor to speak with you." So I tell him "Well, I was hoping we could talk about my new Dirty Harry movie because I've got a great part for you in it." Now he's like creaming his pants and he goes, "REALLY?" Then switching back to my Weider voice I go, "Just kidding Arnold, It's me!" He screams, "God damn you!" and slams the phone down. I had all this on a cassette tape and I used to play it for people. Too bad the tape broke on me.
That is too damn funny, ya gotta go on ironagage.us and post it, those guys will love it.
I think some willthink it complete BS, but I know how small a world BB was back then even comapred to today and how Arnold was not a big star yet, etc.
Of course the office the GOv of Cal will be in touch with you now and they are sending the goon squad LOL

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2008, 07:40:39 AM »

hahahah! great story! keep em coming.  ;)

Moosejay

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2008, 04:28:20 PM »
That is too damn funny, ya gotta go on ironagage.us and post it, those guys will love it.
I think some willthink it complete BS, but I know how small a world BB was back then even comapred to today and how Arnold was not a big star yet, etc.
Of course the office the GOv of Cal will be in touch with you now and they are sending the goon squad LOL

Man...it really would have been golden if you had that tape.

I STILL have a cassette tape of R Robinson 'lecturing' in classroon situation at his bb camp in CT in 1978. All I can say is at 15, I think I knew more names of the muscles than he did.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2008, 07:01:22 PM »

Man...it really would have been golden if you had that tape.

I STILL have a cassette tape of R Robinson 'lecturing' in classroon situation at his bb camp in CT in 1978. All I can say is at 15, I think I knew more names of the muscles than he did.
Hey Moose, remember how awesome Robby looked in Weider's magazines leading up to the 77 Olympia? He was like 220 and shredded. It looked as though he would easily take the Olympia. I remember sitting in the 3rd row and he looked a little watery and Zane won. Robby got into great shape several times after that, but I don't think he ever got as big and cut as he was in those months leading up to the 77 O. Would you agree? I still have some of those old issues and he just looks phenomenal in some of those pics.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2008, 07:41:48 AM »
Hey Moose, remember how awesome Robby looked in Weider's magazines leading up to the 77 Olympia? He was like 220 and shredded. It looked as though he would easily take the Olympia. I remember sitting in the 3rd row and he looked a little watery and Zane won. Robby got into great shape several times after that, but I don't think he ever got as big and cut as he was in those months leading up to the 77 O. Would you agree? I still have some of those old issues and he just looks phenomenal in some of those pics.

Would you be willing to post a few Pics ? Would love to see them !  :)

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
New topic how many have you trained with
Here's some pics of me preparing for a show with J. Rowe.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2008, 09:58:01 PM »
Here's some pics of me preparing for a show with J. Rowe.

Thought that was Chris Cormier at first ! :D

Btw, great condition !

Moosejay

« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2008, 11:09:30 AM »

Yes, Chem, I do agree. He was phenomenal in the gym and in most shows other than the O. Whenever the O would come, and he'd stand next to Zane...he'd just look smooth...big difference from the other shows. Maybe it was mental with him...

Moosejay

« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2008, 11:10:50 AM »
Chem...do you recall in Weider's mags that old, raggedy t-shirt Robby'd wear while training? He'd have to piece it together.... He was so ripped in those shots....