Author Topic: how common is it to see someone benching 315 with good form?  (Read 18425 times)

2big4u

• Getbig II
how common is it to see someone benching 315 with good form?
« on: December 19, 2007, 05:19:41 AM »
I train at 4 different gyms periodically,2 different golds,a powerhouse and a fitness center depending on my mood,now i have been to these gyms at all different times and have seen 2 people bench 315 with good form as in touching the bar to the chest not bouncing it or stopping short of it,and back flat and elbows back,i do it that way and depending on my strength that day i get it between 10-14?just wandering if you guys see it all the time or very rarely,i know you all do it but really a correct 315 bench is pretty rare.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: how common is it to see someone benching 315 with good form?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 05:29:34 AM »
First of all, I don't think flat back is part of a "correct" benchpress.

But other than that, I think your question is interesting, and unless you go to a powerlifting type of gym, or a gym with a whole lot of big fellas, you won't see more than a couple of good 315 lbs benchpresses a week, or maybe even per month.

Despite what Brad Dingleberry may think.
As empty as paradise

2big4u

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 05:44:21 AM »
i keep my back flat as it puts most of the stress on my pecs for me anyway,and im not going for weight im going for stretch and contraction,i dont get the whole arch your back thing when i do that i feel it in my shoulders and tris,just my 2 cents.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 09:36:55 AM »
It's rare - there's lots of strong guys in my gym but it's rare to see them even doing bench presses let alone doing them with 315 with perfect form.

Personally I think there's better exercises out there - people will probably disagree with this but I prefer incline barbell presses and the Hammer machines are good too despite what people say.

Bench presses have been abused so much over the years as an ego lift that people have gotten injured doing them and have never gone back since.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 10:11:04 AM »
Depends on teh gym you go to. A hardcore gym will have a few that do.. the la fitness I train at that has over 200 something members only has enough to count on one hand me included so it all depends on where you go.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 10:33:29 AM »
I haven't flat BB bench pressed ina  long time, I just incline BB bench and flat DB bench these days.  I"m a shoulder/pecs presser on the BB press so flat BB pressing was really tearing my shoulder up.

I've seen maybe 2 guys at the Golds in Venice do 315 flat BB press for reps with good form, and it does amaze me in general how many bad bench pressers there are out there.  This one super lanky kid comes in and loads 205 on the decline and then proceeds to drop it a massive 2 inches for 2 reps, throws it up on the rack and walks off with his arms bowed out. 

::)

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 12:22:31 PM »
I've seen one, MAYBE two legit 315+ bench presses in like the last 3 years.  I do see one guy on occasion who puts up 450 with such an amazing bounce that he's broken half a dozen ribs from benching in the last 5 years.  He supersets his bench with hammer curls, yelling the whole time, "ONE!  TWO!  COME ON BITCH!  THREE!"  with 35-lb dumbbells.  Guy always cracks me up - he wears a sleeveless Superman camo shirt, grey sweats and suspenders whenever he benches.  Looks like Urkel after a bulking cycle.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 02:52:33 PM »
Not too many in perfect form. 300 it's self is a whole lot of weight, even for serious trainee's. I do think that any bench should begin from a dead stop at the bottom/chest position each rep. Takes the bounce and other forms of body English out of the press. This works well when lifting in a Power Rack. Also if the knees are drawn above  the body while  benching, a better picture of shoulder/chest strength and muscle development is gaged. Though hardly any one does this. But this can be a good position for BB'ers when using lighter weight for reps. As BigJ said, the bench is too much an ego lift. And can defeat it's own purpose of being a mass builder with too many unneeded injuries. Which, for the most part, seem to linger for years and years on some guy's.

I have seen quite a few good style BP's in smaller and friendly  heavy lifting gyms.Where guy's like to help other guy's with their lifts. No ones ego over any one else. Mid 350's to lower 400's, but all for lower training reps...3 to 6 reps. If one is blessed with a balance of tricep, anterior/lateral delts, pec's  and joint/tendon strength than you may be a natural for benching. Those record setters are the blessed one. Of course extra hard work goes along with their natural abilities. Good Luck.

F

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 03:40:40 PM »
see em everytime i workout with my brother ...
and i do em... flat back bar to chest
choice is an illusion

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 03:51:21 PM »
When I stopped boucing and pause for a "one one thousand" count I lost alot of weight on my bench press. Pauses will kill ya. Also, not staying in teh groove will kick your ass too HAHA

untamedsense

• Getbig II
  • Bigger, Better, Badder!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 04:23:33 PM »
315 for a good single is rare most places...
Myself, I'm not a bencher, but I do know good form for chest development (I can only do single reps with 315):
Flat back?  Is that an exaggeration? 
Butt on bench with a slight arch in the lower back.  Here's the secret:  Squeeze your shoulder blades together and expand your chest.  Rotate your hands on the bar so that when it comes down, your arms are nearly parallel with the bar.  Slowly bring the bar down to JUST touch your chest then explode up.
It isn't a powerlifter's style but...
Those who play with cats; expect to get scratched!

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 04:42:24 PM »
When I stopped boucing and pause for a "one one thousand" count I lost alot of weight on my bench press. Pauses will kill ya. Also, not staying in teh groove will kick your ass too HAHA

Very true, pausing at the chest will kill the explosive power from the bench press and you'll drop weight faster than a downtown Honolulu hooker drops her panties.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 05:42:11 PM »
Actually if you do it right you may develop more explosive power from a slight pause (or dead stop) at the bottom of the bench. Training with  a little lighter weight,  work for quickness and that explosive power off the chest. Will usually have a training Bud clap his hands together and at that moment you attempts a fast and focused push off from the chest. It takes a little getting use to because most guy's depend on that bounce or rebound effect and it can throw off the timing a bit. It can be an ego buster for some, for a lighter weight is all that can be handled at first. Added workouts can increase the lower power portion greatly. But for complete pressing power it might be worth an effort in the long run.

Having that as a part of  a regular bench workout can improve the overall lift. That starting from the bottom position can be a weak link for a lot of guy's who want to get into serious lifting . All phases of the bench (top,middle & bottom) should be worked to their max. Than when going back to regular benching (starting from the top position) you should get more of a boost after touching the chest, on the way back up. And the added quickness and power that goes along with it.

Any way, a lot of guy's will train their lower potion of the lift this way. But it's not the only way of training by any means, though it may be worth a try for some. Along with board presses, floor presses, bands, chains, etc. there are many tools to get the max results from the BP. Most are worth a try. Good Luck.
F

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 06:17:58 PM »
I train at 4 different gyms periodically,2 different golds,a powerhouse and a fitness center depending on my mood,now i have been to these gyms at all different times and have seen 2 people bench 315 with good form as in touching the bar to the chest not bouncing it or stopping short of it,and back flat and elbows back,i do it that way and depending on my strength that day i get it between 10-14?just wandering if you guys see it all the time or very rarely,i know you all do it but really a correct 315 bench is pretty rare.

From your post its clear you have no idea how to bench. Hedge is settin yuou on the right track.
Get to the PLing boards and learn to bench properly and 315 will be YOUR'z soon.
315 for a single is a girl lift in a bench shirt. (Small girl at that) Then transfer you new strenght to RAW if you wish.

YOU WILL NEVER LEARN TO BENCH FROM 99.9%+ BBers if you want a big load on the bar.

what can you push now with piss poor flatback elbows out BBer form? Add 50-100lbs to that FAST for starters with just propper form and setup.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 08:46:58 PM »
315 for a good single is rare most places...
Myself, I'm not a bencher, but I do know good form for chest development (I can only do single reps with 315):
Flat back?  Is that an exaggeration? 
Butt on bench with a slight arch in the lower back.  Here's the secret:  Squeeze your shoulder blades together and expand your chest.
  Rotate your hands on the bar so that when it comes down, your arms are nearly parallel with the bar.  Slowly bring the bar down to JUST touch your chest then explode up.
It isn't a powerlifter's style but...

Exactly. Everyone thinks that perfect form is having a flat back. Benching with your back with a slight arch and your shoulder blades squeezed together and focus on really sticking your chest out, should feel it more in your pecs as opposed to delts.
No doubt about it...

2big4u

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 04:20:56 AM »
From your post its clear you have no idea how to bench. Hedge is settin yuou on the right track.
Get to the PLing boards and learn to bench properly and 315 will be YOUR'z soon.
315 for a single is a girl lift in a bench shirt. (Small girl at that) Then transfer you new strenght to RAW if you wish.

YOU WILL NEVER LEARN TO BENCH FROM 99.9%+ BBers if you want a big load on the bar.

what can you push now with piss poor flatback elbows out BBer form? Add 50-100lbs to that FAST for starters with just propper form and setup.
i get 315 for 10-14 good reps no cheating,and i feel that the way powerlifters do it is just not good form.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 05:55:06 AM »
i get 315 for 10-14 good reps no cheating,and i feel that the way powerlifters do it is just not good form.

Bullfucking shit!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 05:55:30 AM »

maybe "2big4u" is Ronnie Coleman, trab.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 06:22:50 AM »
Flatback is "Correct form"... Elbows out to, I'd assume.
Good Jesus!!   

He really needs laxative I think,,, so full of shit its cum'in out his mouth.

If he ever films this I want to see it. Also, he should get into competitive PLing (Oh, I forgot, he dont like it) because he can quickly be a world class bencher.

Utter bullshit.
Possible, but VERY VERY unlikely... He's SO casual about it too...
Hey, I got a training partner for him - Candidizzile...  ;D

Jeeze, with some juice, real form, a benchshirt and leg drive he'll do 2000 in no time.

2big4u

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 12:50:50 PM »
Flatback is "Correct form"... Elbows out to, I'd assume.
Good Jesus!!   

He really needs laxative I think,,, so full of shit its cum'in out his mouth.

If he ever films this I want to see it. Also, he should get into competitive PLing (Oh, I forgot, he dont like it) because he can quickly be a world class bencher.

Utter bullshit.
Possible, but VERY VERY unlikely... He's SO casual about it too...
Hey, I got a training partner for him - Candidizzile...  ;D

Jeeze, with some juice, real form, a benchshirt and leg drive he'll do 2000 in no time.
your fucking retarded,you and fatfather,im 6'1 265 i think i can bench 315 with good form,just because you guys cant do it does not mean it cant be done.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 12:55:25 PM »
your fucking retarded,you and fatfather,im 6'1 265 i think i can bench 315 with good form,just because you guys cant do it does not mean it cant be done.

You should put up a vid of that and make us eat our shit. ;)
I doubt it. 10-14?  Unlikely.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 12:59:19 PM »
let's see a picture.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 01:02:40 PM »
It Ryan or Scott or Tiny... ;)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 06:40:55 PM »

BTW.... Whats you PR in Bench? Must be 5-600?
Oh,,,, Let me guess... YOu dont "ego" Bench.... ;)

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 02:31:55 AM »
I don't really care what people bench press, and I don't do bb flat bench presses anymore.