Author Topic: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!  (Read 22104 times)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Re: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2008, 10:19:31 PM »
From the sound of the story it explicity states it was the workers of the facility.  Cesar himself didn't do it, although of course he is liable.

What was the outcome of the lawsuit?

the lawsuit was settled i believe.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2008, 10:20:04 PM »
the lawsuit was settled i believe.

And the outcome was?

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2008, 10:22:35 PM »
I dunno, i'm assuming the lady was awarded money and shut up so as to not affect future business and his show.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2008, 10:26:22 PM »
I dunno, i'm assuming the lady was awarded money and shut up so as to not affect future business and his show.

Assumption is alot diff than fact.  If you find out for sure let me know.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2008, 12:24:25 AM »
Pitbulls are indeed dog agressive out of the womb unless they are socialized, this is a known fact.  they instinctively know to go for the neck, the gameness only increases their ability to do damage.  Unless you socialize a pit bull from a young age, it will most likely be very dog aggressive.  You also don't have to teach a pit bull how to fight, they know how because its in their genetic makeup.  i work with a pitbull rescue group, i work with the spca, i know my shit.   You can chose to accept this or not.  what we are dealing with is commonly referred to by experts as "prey drive," an instictive trait that was bred into bullies. 
I disagree with that to a point. 

The key is the temperment of the dog, correct socialization and it varies quite a bit from dog to dog and which "breed" of pitbull you are talking about---APBT vs AMSTAFF vs ABT vs Staffie vs the half a dozen other "pit bull" breeds. Considering only the APBT, I'd say they are a more "physical" breed than others when they are puppies.  This physicalness is something that contributes to their use as a fighting dog, but doesn't dictate it.  I really think there is a very strong degree of training/socialization involved with fighting dogs.  I'll tell you why--and give you 4 examples, including two dogs that were very intimate in my own family.   

I've spent nearly the last 15 years working with pitbull rescues across the country, from running one to doing what I do now as a consultant because my wife says I have to.  A dogs ability to fight another dog is an innate behavior to a degree---all dogs are capable of showing aggression to other dogs, humans, or animals under certian conditons in certian situations----but even pitbulls as a breed have a large number of dogs that won't readily do it.  The best example of this is the back yard street punk kids who steal peoples dogs out of their back yards to "fight them".   I've seen, tried put back together, ended up watching die more than one pitbull---these are dogs that were without a doubt pure bred--who were ripped from limb to limb by a nonpitbull breed in fights like this or accidental encounters.  That "innate" ability to fight isn't something that is genetic.  The physical traits, the mental drive, the prey drive are and can be "enhanced" by humans to be put together to produce an extremely dog aggressive dog. 

The converse of the example are the former "fighting" dogs I know of--including my own older female, who is very much a "game bred" dog, the dog aggressive male I had for years, and Kane who was somewhat of a legend in and around the neighborhood when I was in college ----who in the right household, with the right training, the right environment, did not fight with other dogs.  I had what Id call a very dog aggressive male pit for several years, with 5 other dogs in my house.  Fights were very rare, yet Teddy would flip out with dogs outside of my house.  They key with him was being able to read his mindset and taking the time to prevent problems before they occured.   I really do think the typical dog owning human is too lazy and too stupid to deal with a dog like that and as a result they end up putting the dogs in situations where bad things happen.  Teddy was a great dog.  He was also alot of work. 

Finally, my grandmother took one of the dogs from our rescue when I was in veterinary school.   This was an adult female who'd spent her entire life chained to a dog house being bred.  She was a GREAT loving pet for my grandmother in her 70's.  She also tolerated the other two dogs in my grandmothers house---including my aunts piece of shit Shihtzapoo monster.  If there was ever a dog that should have been caused a dog fight, it was that thing.  The dog that my grandmother adopted did not once attack, bite, or otherwise harm a dog she easily could have with reason.  This is also a dog that did not have what anyone would think is a "good" or "normal" socialization period and had a pretty crappy life the first few years of her life, yet she was not dog aggressive in any way. 

You're also missing the point of this.  I'm not saying every dog is exactly the breed description, but there are factors at work that go down their genetic makeup that do indeed have a larger impact on their personality and behaviors than any amount of training, socialization or therapy. 

I do agree with this.  The problem is that people take breed descriptions as some sort of sacred scripture when they really are not.  They are a description, a guideline, not a cut and dry THIS IS HOW THE BREED BEHAVES law.  Each dog has its own individual personality that will dictate what their final behaviors are.  A great example of this is a former patient of mine.  This dog was one of the most dog aggressive, borderline human aggressive dogs I've ever seen.  It had gone through behavior classes, it had been with multiple trainers, the owners loved this dog and would have done anything for it....  he bit me twice in the exam rooms.....he was a golden retriever.  There is no way in hell I would have trusted that dog outside of the exam room without its owners holding it on a short leash. 

The other problem with breed descriptions is the bias that people have with them.  For whatever reason, humans tend to take their opinions on dogs and stand by that opinion---even if its completely warped and of base---and argue and argue and argue that they are correct, no matter how asanine, unfounded, and illogical what they are saying is.  Its weird to me why dogs instigate this behavior in humans, but if you don't believe me, look through some of the threads on this board.  Its there. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2008, 12:34:27 AM »
In terms of level of physicality (as i am not familar with the monks of new skete) is it more than cesar's tactic of exercising the crap outta the dog and establishing dominance (he says, if you spend 60 minutes with your pet, 45 should be exercise)?

I'm a big, big fan of exercise for dogs, especially with dog who are having a hard time focusing because of too much pent up energy, but I have to say, some of the things I've heard/read about Cesars techniques tend to take the benefits of exercise to an extreme in my opinion. 

The other problem is the pack order idea that so many humans seem to have a really hard time comprehending even though we ourselves do it.  I think it goes back to locker room bullies in gradeschool. 

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2008, 09:21:49 AM »

I do agree with this.  The problem is that people take breed descriptions as some sort of sacred scripture when they really are not.  They are a description, a guideline, not a cut and dry THIS IS HOW THE BREED BEHAVES law.  Each dog has its own individual personality that will dictate what their final behaviors are.  A great example of this is a former patient of mine.  This dog was one of the most dog aggressive, borderline human aggressive dogs I've ever seen.  It had gone through behavior classes, it had been with multiple trainers, the owners loved this dog and would have done anything for it....  he bit me twice in the exam rooms.....he was a golden retriever.  There is no way in hell I would have trusted that dog outside of the exam room without its owners holding it on a short leash. 

The other problem with breed descriptions is the bias that people have with them.  For whatever reason, humans tend to take their opinions on dogs and stand by that opinion---even if its completely warped and of base---and argue and argue and argue that they are correct, no matter how asanine, unfounded, and illogical what they are saying is.  Its weird to me why dogs instigate this behavior in humans, but if you don't believe me, look through some of the threads on this board.  Its there. 

What I was trying to say all along and I did many times is I do not believe in breed descriptions.  I then explained myself and said because just because a dog is a beagle for example, does not mena you can't stop it from howling.  Your golden retriever example was exactly what I am talking about.  But that dog didn't come out of the womb like that, NO DOG DOES.  That dog got that way during the socialization period somehow.

The littlest things can ruin a dog.  A friend of mine told me a story where a friend of his who is a Vet got a pitbull puppy and trained it, took it to obedience school and did everything as it was growing.  One day someone had their dog off the leash and the puppy was attacked, although not harmed, but he was rolled.

The dog became so dog aggressive the Vet elected to put it down.  Why?  I dunno ask me but it illustrates my point.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2008, 09:52:03 AM »
I disagree with that to a point. 

The key is the temperment of the dog, correct socialization and it varies quite a bit from dog to dog and which "breed" of pitbull you are talking about---APBT vs AMSTAFF vs ABT vs Staffie vs the half a dozen other "pit bull" breeds. Considering only the APBT, I'd say they are a more "physical" breed than others when they are puppies.  This physicalness is something that contributes to their use as a fighting dog, but doesn't dictate it. 

I understand where you're coming from, but what is your opinion on the info i posted from badrap.org?  there is a lot of other information i have read out there that states the same thing as they are saying about the fact that its that "terrier drive" or "prey drive" dictates much of their innate dog aggression?

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2008, 10:22:18 AM »
I understand where you're coming from, but what is your opinion on the info i posted from badrap.org?  there is a lot of other information i have read out there that states the same thing as they are saying about the fact that its that "terrier drive" or "prey drive" dictates much of their innate dog aggression?

Prey drive may instigate it, but prey drive is not what makes a pitbull what they are in the pit.  At least not primarily.  A good example of prey drive is a Jack Russell's willingless to hunt/kill small animals.  Or you are walking your JR and a squirrel comes running out and it wants to go after this.  Pitbulls have this same drive as terriers, but this is not why dogmen use them for fighting.  It is because of gameness(their refusal to back down).  While a Labrador might shy away from pain, pain infuriates a pitbull and makes them fight harder.  This is the #1, #2 and #3 reasons why they are used in the pit.  THAT is what is bred into them.  Extreme dog aggressiveness is not a plus, they just have to be willing to fight.  Once the fight begins, the dogmen want them to continue to fight and continue to fight hard.  They are not bred by level of how dog aggressive they are.  I don't know how many times I can explain that.

Honestly based on what you pasted from badrap, the key word is "if mismanaged".  A Golden Retriever can be all types of aggressive if mismanaged, which Vet has proven.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »
Prey drive may instigate it, but prey drive is not what makes a pitbull what they are in the pit.  At least not primarily.  A good example of prey drive is a Jack Russell's willingless to hunt/kill small animals.  Or you are walking your JR and a squirrel comes running out and it wants to go after this.  Pitbulls have this same drive as terriers, but this is not why dogmen use them for fighting.  It is because of gameness(their refusal to back down).  While a Labrador might shy away from pain, pain infuriates a pitbull and makes them fight harder.  This is the #1, #2 and #3 reasons why they are used in the pit.  THAT is what is bred into them.  Extreme dog aggressiveness is not a plus, they just have to be willing to fight.  Once the fight begins, the dogmen want them to continue to fight and continue to fight hard.  They are not bred by level of how dog aggressive they are.  I don't know how many times I can explain that.

Honestly based on what you pasted from badrap, the key word is "if mismanaged".  A Golden Retriever can be all types of aggressive if mismanaged, which Vet has proven.

Yeah... i've been attacked by a 90 lbs golden, not fun.  thankfully he didn't get any bites in, but he was lunging and snapping pretty hard.  As for your arguement i see your point, but i don't agree.  The prey drive is why we have to put so many pit bulls down, because they were never socialized, regardless of being fought and will lunge and snarl and go for the neck of other dogs (and cats) they're around.  That animal aggression has nothing to do with gameness.  the dog aggression has everything to do with prey drive and the gameness only allows them to do more damage.  Many of these dogs were never fought, but come to us and are sweethearts with people, well behaved and well mannered but go fucking crazy around dogs and cats.  will every pit be this way? no, not at all.  Will a large enough portion we encounter be like this to the point where we have to take xtra precautions? you better believe it.  Its sad, because you can't adopt out animal aggressive animals  (this is where i believe federal funding should come in and save these dogs for k9 units, search dogs etc... but thats a whole nother arguement) because most people can't handle a pit bull on a leash around other dogs, nor are they smart enough to take all of the necessary precautions to ensure an incident never occurs (How was I to know he would go thru a screen at a dog???... says the owner of the dog who just killed a neighbors dog or cat).  Prey drive makes them animal aggressive to begin with, gameness makes them unrelenting.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2008, 10:55:06 AM »
Yeah... i've been attacked by a 90 lbs golden, not fun.  thankfully he didn't get any bites in, but he was lunging and snapping pretty hard.  As for your arguement i see your point, but i don't agree.  The prey drive is why we have to put so many pit bulls down, because they were never socialized, regardless of being fought and will lunge and snarl and go for the neck of other dogs (and cats) they're around.  That animal aggression has nothing to do with gameness.  the dog aggression has everything to do with prey drive and the gameness only allows them to do more damage.  Many of these dogs were never fought, but come to us and are sweethearts with people, well behaved and well mannered but go fucking crazy around dogs and cats.  will every pit be this way? no, not at all.  Will a large enough portion we encounter be like this to the point where we have to take xtra precautions? you better believe it.  Its sad, because you can't adopt out animal aggressive animals  (this is where i believe federal funding should come in and save these dogs for k9 units, search dogs etc... but thats a whole nother arguement) because most people can't handle a pit bull on a leash around other dogs, nor are they smart enough to take all of the necessary precautions to ensure an incident never occurs (How was I to know he would go thru a screen at a dog???... says the owner of the dog who just killed a neighbors dog or cat).  Prey drive makes them animal aggressive to begin with, gameness makes them unrelenting.

Prey drive =\= dog aggression.

Schutzhund dogs have equal levels of prey/defense and both are very high, but balanced.  Everything is done off leash.  None of them go running off attacking all the other Shepherds, Rottweilers and Malinois' that there are there.

Ask vet if you don't believe me. 

Once again for the slower people...Prey drive does NOT equal dog aggression.  Dog aggresion = dog aggresion.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2008, 11:21:36 AM »
Dog aggression would therefore be a byproduct of prey drive.  Prey drive is in the genetic makeup of the dogs.  When you see a dog that hasn't been socialized and is extremely dog aggressive but has never been trained to fight (and is lunging at another dog), what do you account for that?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2008, 11:25:40 AM »
Prey drive =\= dog aggression.

Schutzhund dogs have equal levels of prey/defense and both are very high, but balanced.  Everything is done off leash.  None of them go running off attacking all the other Shepherds, Rottweilers and Malinois' that there are there.

Ask vet if you don't believe me. 

Once again for the slower people...Prey drive does NOT equal dog aggression.  Dog aggresion = dog aggresion.
I really think there is an overemphasis placed on "prey" drive in pitbulls.  The media has latched onto this term and those who really don't know shit about dog behavior like to use it because it give the image of the dogs being tougher.  Think about it.."prey" drive.  That dog is a KILLER.  It has prey drive.  In reality, prey drive is the willinness of a dog to pursue prey for hunting purposes (with the ultimate goal of eating in its basic definition).  Its not about not giving up in a fight.  

If you believe in the "Drive" idea of dog motivation, dogs have three basic "drives": territory, prey, and reproduction.  Its a combination of these three that make a dog dog aggressive, not an individual specific drive.  I know of several hounds (My parents used to raise black and tans and redbones) with very, very strong prey drives----yet these dogs hunt in a pack with each other.  When I was a kid, we ran hounds most nights out of the year to keep them in shape for raccoon hunting.  Some of these hounds prey drives will blow a typical APBT out of the water.  These are dogs I've seen literally run the pads off their feet.  There is no denying their drive.  

That said, come the time a bitch was in heat, we'd have problems with the males fighting with each other.  Why?  Because horniness overrides common sense.  These dogs reproductive drives led to confrontation.  

We also had some problems with introducing new dogs to the pack from time to time.  Why?  because that pack of hounds had established their individual territories and as a result were defending their territories to an intruder.  

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »
What I was trying to say all along and I did many times is I do not believe in breed descriptions.  I then explained myself and said because just because a dog is a beagle for example, does not mena you can't stop it from howling.  Your golden retriever example was exactly what I am talking about.  But that dog didn't come out of the womb like that, NO DOG DOES.  That dog got that way during the socialization period somehow.

The littlest things can ruin a dog.  A friend of mine told me a story where a friend of his who is a Vet got a pitbull puppy and trained it, took it to obedience school and did everything as it was growing.  One day someone had their dog off the leash and the puppy was attacked, although not harmed, but he was rolled.

The dog became so dog aggressive the Vet elected to put it down.  Why?  I dunno ask me but it illustrates my point.

Thats weird.  There was something else going on with that dog.  Did they rule out medical causes?

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2008, 11:30:12 AM »
Dog aggression would therefore be a byproduct of prey drive.  Prey drive is in the genetic makeup of the dogs.  When you see a dog that hasn't been socialized and is extremely dog aggressive but has never been trained to fight (and is lunging at another dog), what do you account for that?

It is called AGGRESSION

My ex gf had a miniature schnauzer who would try to attack any small furry animal it saw...that wasn't a dog.  It also would hunt mice when the weather changed and it had them.  I mean like fucking stalk them, it was ALL about killing mice.  It'd go after birds in the yard, etc.  Crazy high prey drive.

Yet from the day my dog was 11 weeks old and every other dog I have seen it around, it is as submissive as can be.

For the third time for an idiot whom I cannot believe owns a pitbull.

PREY DRIVE =\= DOG AGGRESSION.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2008, 11:34:23 AM »
Thats weird.  There was something else going on with that dog.  Did they rule out medical causes?

No clue it was just conveyed to me through a friend.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2008, 11:35:25 AM »
It is called AGGRESSION

My ex gf had a miniature schnauzer who would try to attack any small furry animal it saw...that wasn't a dog.  It also would hunt mice when the weather changed and it had them.  I mean like fucking stalk them, it was ALL about killing mice.  It'd go after birds in the yard, etc.  Crazy high prey drive.

Yet from the day my dog was 11 weeks old and every other dog I have seen it around, it is as submissive as can be.

For the third time for an idiot whom I cannot believe owns a pitbull.

PREY DRIVE =\= DOG AGGRESSION.

The other thing you need to consider is the intertwining of the three drives (imagine three circles overlapping in the center.  Prey drive will overlap with territory drive, which will overlap with reproductive drive.  Its relatively rare that any one individual drive leads to aggressive behavior from one dog to the other.   You have to consider the underlying motivation of the animal.  Is it hungry (killing a rabbit to eat)?  Is it defending its territory (dog barking at a stranger at the door)?  Is it defending a female in its yard (territory + reproductive)?  Is it trying to win a female on neutral ground (reproductive)?  

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2008, 11:38:22 AM »
No clue it was just conveyed to me through a friend.

From what you've said, there is more to that story than we know. 

Here's my firm belief on any animal---be it dog, cat, bird, big cat, elephant.  Animals don't "just snap".   There is a motivating force behind the behavior of the animal.  The problem comes in figuring out what that force is.  If you can figure it out, you can anticipate what is going ot happen, and from there take steps to anticipate problems before they happen. 

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2008, 11:39:41 AM »

The other thing you need to consider is the intertwining of the three drives (imagine three circles overlapping in the center.  Prey drive will overlap with territory drive, which will overlap with reproductive drive.  Its rare that any one individual drive leads to aggressive behavior from one dog to the other.   You have to consider the underlying motivation of the animal.  Is it hungry (killing a rabbit to eat)?  Is it defending its territory (dog barking at a stranger at the door)?  Is it defending a female in its yard (territory + reproductive)?  Is it trying to win a female on neutral ground (reproductive)? 

I understand all this and the mixing of drives.

My problem with TrapsMcLats is he says that Prey Drive is what makes pitbulls aggressive.  That is a statement that is false, ignorant and sad.  He does not separate dog aggression from any other drive.  Also, he believes that pitbulls are aggressive from the moment they take their first breath.

All things that a pitbull owner should know and its shocking and sad he doesn't.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2008, 11:41:51 AM »
PS-  From all Traps misinformation is what makes it so obvious that if he does even own two pitbulls...he works with no organization involving pitbulls or any dog, he has no titled pitbulls with a CGC, and he has no therapy dogs.

I asked him to prove it.  He refuses.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2008, 11:45:21 AM »
I understand all this and the mixing of drives.

My problem with TrapsMcLats is he says that Prey Drive is what makes pitbulls aggressive.  That is a statement that is false, ignorant and sad.  He does not separate dog aggression from any other drive.  Also, he believes that pitbulls are aggressive from the moment they take their first breath.

All things that a pitbull owner should know and its shocking and sad he doesn't.

Nah, rather than pursecute, I think its more important to try to see where Traps got that information from and why he thinks what he's posting.  Is it misunderstanding of information (us misunderstanding him or him misunderstanding what he's heard/read) or is it misinformation.  Once you figure out the source, correct that.  That'll solve the problems for pitbulls, not persecuting Traps.  

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2008, 11:50:12 AM »
PS-  From all Traps misinformation is what makes it so obvious that if he does even own two pitbulls...he works with no organization involving pitbulls or any dog, he has no titled pitbulls with a CGC, and he has no therapy dogs.

I asked him to prove it.  He refuses.

I know quite a few pitbull owners who state exactly what Traps posted.  I think its basically an attempt to simplify something that is in all actuality a very complex multifactorial behavior. 

I don't think much was proven other than his reluctance to post up the CGC certificate.  I'm not sure where the reluctance is coming from, a simple picture would stop alot of the questions, but its his perogative. 

Again, like I posted earlier, for whatever reason, humans tend to take their opinions on dogs and stand by that opinion---even if its completely warped and of base---and argue and argue and argue that they are correct, no matter how asanine, unfounded, and illogical what they are saying is.  I don't know why dogs bring that out in people, but they do.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2008, 11:52:17 AM »
Nah, rather than pursecute, I think its more important to try to see where Traps got that information from and why he thinks what he's posting.  Is it misunderstanding of information or is it misinformation.  Once you figure out the source, correct that.  That'll solve the problems for pitbulls, not persecuting Traps. 

I totally agree with you.  The problem is, no one will believe what I say because of I am no one on the internet.  I also hate ignorance so I am quite testy with people like that, heh.

At least when you say something or back up what I say partially, people believe you because you are a Veterinarian.  Sadly, I am sure that you can agree most vets know nothing or not much about behavior.  It just so happens you do.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2008, 12:00:29 PM »
I totally agree with you.  The problem is, no one will believe what I say because of I am no one on the internet.  I also hate ignorance so I am quite testy with people like that, heh.

At least when you say something or back up what I say partially, people believe you because you are a Veterinarian.  Sadly, I am sure that you can agree most vets know nothing or not much about behavior.  It just so happens you do.

There are veterinarians out there who don't know jack shit about dog (or any other animal) behavior.   Just like there are veterinarians who know nothing about exotics and as a result there is no way in hell I'd tell someone to take their bird to them. 

The thing is, a large part of my job is understanding and anticipating normal animal behavior.   Because of that, i've had to learn what I know about a variety of species.  Combine that with a back ground in mental health medicine, simple obserational skills and the experiences I've had with rescues and you can see where i'm coming from.   I'm not a behavior expert by any means. 

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2008, 12:05:06 PM »
There are veterinarians out there who don't know jack shit about dog (or any other animal) behavior.   Just like there are veterinarians who know nothing about exotics and as a result there is no way in hell I'd tell someone to take their bird to them. 

The thing is, a large part of my job is understanding and anticipating normal animal behavior.   Because of that, i've had to learn what I know about a variety of species.  Combine that with a back ground in mental health medicine, simple obserational skills and the experiences I've had with rescues and you can see where i'm coming from.   I'm not a behavior expert by any means. 

My own vet really doesn't know much about behavior, well not as much as I do.  I was trying to pick his brain last night(brought Plato in because he chipped a nail up outside and it was bothering him, they trimmed it and cleaned it) about how Plato has changed since he was neutered, personality wise.  He really seemed dumbfounded and were just conversing about it.  I mean he gave me ideas on why and stuff, but still, not what I was looking for.  But, I go to him for medical reasons and hes great with Plato so I like him alot.  Behavior expertise is not an issue, I know my shit.