Author Topic: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!  (Read 22062 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 10:25:54 AM »
Great idea on the article of clothing.  I'll have to cut into my used underwear inventory...oh wel...
Very funny Mindskid....er, I mean Mindspring ;D

Have you taken more pics of Diki yet?  We're waiting :D
R

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 10:28:03 AM »
!  She sounds like a caged animal going ape shit for the ENTIRE night.

!!!

Thoughts?  Tips???  Help!!!

SHE IS A CAGED ANIMAL GOING APE SHIT!!!!

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 11:45:26 AM »
Very funny Mindskid....er, I mean Mindspring ;D

Have you taken more pics of Diki yet?  We're waiting :D
I've got tons, but I can't figure out how to resize them on this new Mac.  Anyone know ho to resize on iphoto??
w

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 12:12:34 PM »
I've got tons, but I can't figure out how to resize them on this new Mac.  Anyone know ho to resize on iphoto??
:( No.  Maybe knny can help?

You can try to email them to me and I can give it a try.
R

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 08:34:41 AM »

I have a mac....& have no problem resizing them anywhere

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2007, 08:39:20 AM »
I didn't really read everyones posts but I can share what I did with Plato.

Things I agree with:

-Correcting the dog for whining.  Firmly smack the side of the crate with your hand and give a stern "Shh" or "Quiet".  Don't use "No", you want that to mean something else down the road.
-I fed Plato in the crate for 2 weeks when I first brought him home.  Dogs are very reluctant and will usually not poop where they eat...and where they sleep for that matter.  When I see people with dogs who mess in the crate and they clean it up every day I just don't get how it got like that.

Things I don't agree with:
-The putting of the towel or piece of clothing in the crate.  The dog needs to learn to tough it out and not rely on you for EVERYTHING.  It has to grow mentally.  You aren't going to be there to save it every time something spooks it.
-Buying a huge crate.  I think Vet touched on this that dogs will sometimes sleep in one corner and poop in the other.

In all honesty, by giving in the first night you give the dog the upper hand :)  The first night I brought Plato home he was howling and crying.  After 10-15min and 2-3 corrections, he was snoring his little butt off.  Same thing with the week or two after and me going to class.  Whining, scraping, yelling.  I ignored and corrected.  Now the crate is like his den.  He sleeps in it 50% of the time and if he doesn't want to be bothered he will go and lay in it.

PS-  Cute dog, good luck!  Take it everywhere, let everyone pet it and don't coddle it if it's scared, just act like its no big deal(loud noises that spook it etc).  Don't let it around ANY dog you do not know.  NO NEGATIVE EXPERIENCES.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2007, 08:57:46 AM »
I have a mac....& have no problem resizing them anywhere
cool. Can I resize on iPhoto or do I need to use something else?
w

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2007, 07:36:59 PM »

Things I don't agree with:
-The putting of the towel or piece of clothing in the crate.  The dog needs to learn to tough it out and not rely on you for EVERYTHING.  It has to grow mentally.  You aren't going to be there to save it every time something spooks it.

Dog is not relying on you....it's making them "through smell" establish leadership & a sense of belonging.  You become it's leader (if you want to call it that).

No different than smacking a cage & going "shhhh".  Which IMO is making him get his way if you're getting up in the middle of the night to do so.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2007, 08:15:22 PM »
Dog is not relying on you....it's making them "through smell" establish leadership & a sense of belonging.  You become it's leader (if you want to call it that).

No different than smacking a cage & going "shhhh".  Which IMO is making him get his way if you're getting up in the middle of the night to do so.

The dog was crying while in the room with him. Obviously has nothing to do with smell.  The dog can definitely smell him a few feet away.  At this point in a dogs life it has NO IDEA who it's leader is.  No clue.  This isn't established and cemented until months down the road, you build this bond.  Just because you carried a puppy to your home means nothing to it.  The dog using one its senses(smell) to tell that you are near is nothing close to a correction which lets it know the behavior is unwanted.  If the a cat rubs up against it's crate it will also leave its smell, the dog is not going to believe it is it's leader because its crate smells like a cat.

The dog getting its way would be letting it out of the crate, not getting your attention.  If the dog getting your attention warrants a correction, it will learn that what got your attention is negative behavior and must stop.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2007, 10:29:13 PM »
I personally don't like the clothing idea because of the fact that it can predestine the dog to getting into your good clothes and destroying them.   Think about it, a dog (especially a puppy) doesn't know the designation between something you think is a "nice" shirt and an "old one" that they are allowed to chew on----which a puppy will more than likely do if its placed in a kennel with them.  If you end up with a high strung dog with a destructive streak, giving them access to clothing like that and encouraging close interaction with it may end up costing you a bundle----in new clothes, or worse yet in surgery to remove the clothing article.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2007, 08:11:16 AM »
I personally don't like the clothing idea because of the fact that it can predestine the dog to getting into your good clothes and destroying them.   Think about it, a dog (especially a puppy) doesn't know the designation between something you think is a "nice" shirt and an "old one" that they are allowed to chew on----which a puppy will more than likely do if its placed in a kennel with them.  If you end up with a high strung dog with a destructive streak, giving them access to clothing like that and encouraging close interaction with it may end up costing you a bundle----in new clothes, or worse yet in surgery to remove the clothing article.

Ya, people do that with shoes.  If a puppy is a chewer and is always stealing your shoes, people will sometimes give them an old shoe to chew on instead, lol.  The dog doesn't know whether that shoe is new or old, it just knows it can still chew on shoes.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2007, 10:00:42 AM »
Ya, people do that with shoes.  If a puppy is a chewer and is always stealing your shoes, people will sometimes give them an old shoe to chew on instead, lol.  The dog doesn't know whether that shoe is new or old, it just knows it can still chew on shoes.

Yeah, my aunt created a monster with her peakapoo doing that.  I warned her when she started putting "old" tennis shoes in the kennel with the puppy.  She didn't listen.  Now that dog (who is going on 5) rarely plays with "dog" toys but will eat anything that looks remotely like a tennis/running shoe.  Now my aunt is complaining about the dog being a bad dog and she just won't have it that she created this problem when the dog was a puppy. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2007, 10:02:02 AM »

Never had that happened once

but

not saying it hasn't

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2007, 10:56:14 AM »
Lots of great advise...thanks.  I ended up putting hot water bottle securely wrapped in a pillow case inside her crate along with an old pair of pants.  She's actually slept through the last two nights.  I have a large dog cage that we now keep in our family into which we put the small crate during the day.  That's where she hangs out when we're not home.

Potty training is going pretty damn good.  Only had a couple of accidents...luckily on hardwood floor, not the carpet.       
w

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2007, 01:29:27 PM »
Lots of great advise...thanks.  I ended up putting hot water bottle securely wrapped in a pillow case inside her crate along with an old pair of pants.  She's actually slept through the last two nights.  I have a large dog cage that we now keep in our family into which we put the small crate during the day.  That's where she hangs out when we're not home.

Potty training is going pretty damn good.  Only had a couple of accidents...luckily on hardwood floor, not the carpet.       

Potty training with some dogs seems to be a nightmare and so easy with others.  Just make sure to praise like she just did the best thing in the world when she goes where shes supposed to, especially if you catch her in the act.  If you DO catch her in the act, just a quick verbal correction and pick her up and carry her to where you want her to go will do the trick.  If you catch her trying to potty in the house do not make a huge deal out of it.  Don't yell, don't scream.  Alot of times when people give over the top corrections it leads to the dog hiding it.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2007, 08:45:14 AM »

Glad it's going well.

Those little tricks always work.....just only do it for a few days.....till they get used to the new home & adopted family.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2007, 11:41:21 AM »
You also have to realize that you got a yappy dog.  They're sweethearts yes, but quiet, no. From dogbreedinfo.com:

"Sweet, gentle and loving, the Tibetan Terrier is lively, mild, and fun, but can be a bit willful. Reserved with strangers, but very dedicated to their owners, they are not happy when left alone. This breed does best with older, considerate children. This brave, intelligent, medium-sized dog likes to bark and is a particularly good watch dog. Its bark is deep like a rising siren. When the Tibetan Terrier is with other dogs it can try to dominate. In the United States, Tibetan Terriers' bloodlines vary in terms of height, coat, and personality. Check with the breeder about any particular litter's genealogy. The Tibetan Terrier has great agility as well as endurance.

In other words, you've got a dog that will never be quiet.  And from what i've experienced at the shelter and clinic they can be snappy (any terrier for that matter) and uncooperative.  Good luck, but remember what you're dealing with.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2007, 05:43:33 PM »
You also have to realize that you got a yappy dog.  They're sweethearts yes, but quiet, no. From dogbreedinfo.com:

"Sweet, gentle and loving, the Tibetan Terrier is lively, mild, and fun, but can be a bit willful. Reserved with strangers, but very dedicated to their owners, they are not happy when left alone. This breed does best with older, considerate children. This brave, intelligent, medium-sized dog likes to bark and is a particularly good watch dog. Its bark is deep like a rising siren. When the Tibetan Terrier is with other dogs it can try to dominate. In the United States, Tibetan Terriers' bloodlines vary in terms of height, coat, and personality. Check with the breeder about any particular litter's genealogy. The Tibetan Terrier has great agility as well as endurance.

In other words, you've got a dog that will never be quiet.  And from what i've experienced at the shelter and clinic they can be snappy (any terrier for that matter) and uncooperative.  Good luck, but remember what you're dealing with.

Breed descriptions mean nothing, and are most times completely false.  He got a Tibetan Terrier for christs sakes he didn't get a Presa Canario...relax :)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2007, 05:53:13 PM »
I'm not saying its dangerous, i'm just saying that they're loud as all hell.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2007, 06:25:05 PM »
I'm not saying its dangerous, i'm just saying that they're loud as all hell.

Ehhh, I dunno.  As I said I don't believe in those breed stereotypes.  All Chow's arent antisocial, all akita's aren't dog aggressive, etc.  That is a whole 'nother topic.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2007, 08:30:51 PM »
Well, i see one on a daily basis and its loud, never stops barking and fits the breed description perfectly.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2007, 08:33:57 PM »
So much drama. So much drama.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2007, 09:33:24 PM »
Well, i see one on a daily basis and its loud, never stops barking and fits the breed description perfectly.

If one pitbull attack and kills a yorkie does that mean all pitbulls will attack and kill yorkies?

If one black kid who lives in west philly shoots a cop for a traffic stop, does that mean all black kids in west philly will shoot cops when they get pulled over?

Stupid logic, come on man.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2007, 12:38:00 AM »
If one pitbull attack and kills a yorkie does that mean all pitbulls will attack and kill yorkies?

If one black kid who lives in west philly shoots a cop for a traffic stop, does that mean all black kids in west philly will shoot cops when they get pulled over?

Stupid logic, come on man.

Well, black people are another story...
as for the dogs, i'm not saying all tibetan terriers will be this way. HOWEVER, what he is describing fits the breed description to a T.  The dog i see on a daily basis is a nice dog, but loud as all hell. My pit bull doesn't bark. Amen.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2007, 11:45:53 AM »
Well, black people are another story...
as for the dogs, i'm not saying all tibetan terriers will be this way. HOWEVER, what he is describing fits the breed description to a T.  The dog i see on a daily basis is a nice dog, but loud as all hell. My pit bull doesn't bark. Amen.

Yeah, i'd classify Tibetan Terriers as "yappy", maybe even "super yappy"---or at least thats the case with the majority of the ones I've seen as patients.   Its sort of like beagles.  You get a beagle, you are pretty much guaranteed its going to bark and howl sometimes.