Author Topic: Warm Up sets? What you talkin' about Willis!?  (Read 1624 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Warm Up sets? What you talkin' about Willis!?
« on: December 21, 2007, 06:23:20 AM »
I keep on reading about how people do warm up sets here; I never do any; instead I do 8-10 minutes of light jogging on the tread mill to get the blood going and then I hit the weights hard reverse pyramid heaviest to lowest.

Is there any good reason to do warm up sets? I mean, I want to have every bit of strength for my sets and every bit of weight pushed saps strength.
I hate the State.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Re: Warm Up sets? What you talkin' about Willis!?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 09:51:52 AM »
i also do a warm up jog and it is from my house to the gym and on every new lift of the day there is one warm up set.  very very light with onky like 5-6 reps real controlled..i like it just because i feel it gives me a good memory jog so to speak for my muscle memory...and i also down pryamid from there...heaviest first then down from there...if you dont feel the need for the warm up set then dont do it i think its that simple...personal preference...

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 12:56:44 PM »
Warmups are very important..........to not do them and going right into heavy training is an invitation to injury.

It`s not all about the heaviest weight used,it`s about creating intensity.

Warmups prepare a muscle for the heavier sets to come and get blood flowing making the muscle warmer and more flexible.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 01:07:56 PM »
Warmups are very important..........to not do them and going right into heavy training is an invitation to injury.

It`s not all about the heaviest weight used,it`s about creating intensity.

Warmups prepare a muscle for the heavier sets to come and get blood flowing making the muscle warmer and more flexible.

Not to mention they help you mentally focus on the movement(s) you're about to execute - always a good idea when starting the next exercise in your routine.
Gotta get your head ready; not just your muscles.

AVBG

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 01:14:19 PM »
warm up sets as wes said are extremely important to minimize the injuries ...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 03:23:53 PM »
i do warm ups but mostly for the first exercise for that particular bodypart... and i dont overdo it so it sap my strength
Z

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 03:30:19 PM »
I keep on reading about how people do warm up sets here; I never do any; instead I do 8-10 minutes of light jogging on the tread mill to get the blood going and then I hit the weights hard reverse pyramid heaviest to lowest.

Is there any good reason to do warm up sets? I mean, I want to have every bit of strength for my sets and every bit of weight pushed saps strength.
How old are you Trapezkerl? I didnt do warm up sets when i was young and eventually got hurt...I do warm up sets on every exercise especially heavy compounds, deads, squats etc...You should start getting used to them after all whats a few mins to save a injury that could keep you out for weeks or months...and you dont really lose strength i dont hit my peak until the 2nd or 3rd work set anyway

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 03:33:31 PM »
i do warm ups but mostly for the first exercise for that particular bodypart... and i dont overdo it so it sap my strength

Right.
You don't go to failure on warm ups.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 03:47:50 PM »
no like i said i do a warm up set for every new movement of the day real light and like 5 or 6 reps...but also to each his own...if that works for him then ok...but in another thread he mentioned some shoulder injury that i think (because i have had a good amount of shoulder problems) could be dealt with better if one were to take some warmup precautions...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 04:07:47 PM »
How old are you Trapezkerl? I didnt do warm up sets when i was young and eventually got hurt...I do warm up sets on every exercise especially heavy compounds, deads, squats etc...You should start getting used to them after all whats a few mins to save a injury that could keep you out for weeks or months...and you dont really lose strength i dont hit my peak until the 2nd or 3rd work set anyway

30. I think the jogging takes care of the warm up for me. The only injury I ever got was from incline benches which I never do now.
I hate the State.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 10:47:24 PM »
i do a slight jog to warm up as well but I always do warm up sets to help the joints more than anything

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 05:13:23 AM »
Jogging or stationary bike,etc.,only warms up the bodys core temperature and doesn`t warm up all of the muscles,tendons,and ligaments.

OK to do,but a specific warmup set or two before at least your first exercise for every bodypart would be much smarter,and much much safer in the long run.

Don`t overdo,just get warm and loose.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 07:57:02 AM »
Jogging or stationary bike,etc.,only warems up the bodys core temperature and doesn`t warm up all of the muscles,tendons,and ligaments.

OK to do,but a specific warmup set or two before at least your first exercise for every bodypart would be much smarter,and much much safer in the long run.

Don`t overdo,just get warm and loose.

100% true.  Moving your legs back and forth does not get you ready to bench press. 

It's a clear young-mans mistake and it will catch up eventually. 

Do your dynamic stretching (movement-based) before you lift and your regular stretching (stationary, hold for 30sec) at the end.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 09:14:46 AM »
definetlty stretch...mike pointed out another good point of stretching after the move also...very good tip to stay loose and prevent injury...