Author Topic: Rottweiler Kills Baby  (Read 3433 times)

Diesel1

• Getbig V
Rottweiler Kills Baby
« on: January 02, 2008, 11:42:31 AM »
Of course it wasn't the dogs fault  ::)

Family dog kills one-year-old boy

A one-year-old boy has died after being attacked by a pet rottweiler at his grandparents' home, police have said.

West Yorkshire Police said the baby was snatched from the arms of a seven-year-old girl in the yard of the house in Wakefield on Friday afternoon.

He was taken to hospital with serious injuries but later died.

The dog was shot at the scene by a police marksman. It was destroyed to ensure the safety of others at the address, a police spokesman said.

The boy's family are now receiving support from specially-trained officers, he said.

Without any warning, the dog snatched the baby from the youngster's arms and carried him into the yard

Det Supt Steve Payne, from West Yorkshire Police, said the boy was staying with his grandparents during the Christmas holidays.

He said: "What we know at this time is that the dog was a family pet, a two-and-a-half year old female rottweiler, which the family had owned for about six months.

"Although the dog lived in the yard of the premises, it had interacted with members of the family including children, and another dog and cat at the house, and had shown no previous signs of any aggression."

Parents nearby

Mr Payne said the boy's aunt, aged 16, was caring for him and two girls, aged six and seven, in the house.

The 16-year-old girl was upstairs when the seven-year-old carried the baby outside to stroke the dog.

Mr Payne said: "Without any warning, the dog snatched the baby from the youngster's arms and carried him into the yard."

He said the 16-year-old tried to rescue the baby but was unable to do so, despite striking the dog.

Paramedics and police arrived within six minutes following an emergency call to police at 1530 GMT, he said.

The baby was taken to Pinderfields General Infirmary where he was pronounced dead.

If a dog is confronted with a situation they are not used to, they can react unexpectedly
Chris Window, Rottweiler Club

The boy's parents were at a nearby property at the time.

A post-mortem examination is due to be carried out on Saturday.

The death follows the unlawful killing of five-year-old Ellie Lawrenson who was killed by her uncle's dog in St Helen's on New Year's Day 2007.

The illegal pit bull terrier called Reuben attacked Ellie at the home of her grandmother, Jackie Simpson, who was later found not guilty of manslaughter through gross negligence.

Ellie's uncle Kiel Simpson, 24, was jailed for eight weeks at Liverpool Magistrates' Court in May after admitting owning a dog banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.

Chris Window, from the Rottweiler Club, said it was very uncommon for attacks of this nature to take place.

But he said young children should never be left alone with any large breed of dog.

"All breeds of dogs are animals. They do revert to animal instincts. If a dog is confronted with a situation they are not used to, they can react unexpectedly."

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7163696.stm

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Rottweiler Kills Baby
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 03:04:37 PM »
2 1/2 year old Rottie......only had it six months.......

& The adults let their 7 year year old child bring a baby over to a dog?

Where's the supervision?

Who's being held accountable for the child's death?....The dog?....Well, the dog is dead...but if it were me....I would go after the parents.

It could have been a beagle...Labrador....Gre at Dane.  There's no way someone can explain why an adult or parent would have allowed their 7 year old child approach a dog with a baby.  Seems like from reading this story (which I had to a few times) seems like there was some serious lack of supervision.

It's a damn shame that a baby is dead for people's stupidity.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 05:22:19 PM »
2 1/2 year old Rottie......only had it six months.......

& The adults let their 7 year year old child bring a baby over to a dog?

Where's the supervision?

Who's being held accountable for the child's death?....The dog?....Well, the dog is dead...but if it were me....I would go after the parents.

It could have been a beagle...Labrador....Gre at Dane.  There's no way someone can explain why an adult or parent would have allowed their 7 year old child approach a dog with a baby.  Seems like from reading this story (which I had to a few times) seems like there was some serious lack of supervision.

It's a damn shame that a baby is dead for people's stupidity.

Right before I even read your post I copied this so I could paste it:

a two-and-a-half year old female rottweiler, which the family had owned for about six months.

The fact that it was a rottweiler is irrelevant.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 05:48:27 PM »
sad.  :'(

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 05:56:31 PM »
Same thing just happened here in Aus. Rottweiler killed a 9 week old baby. Somehow got into the room and bit the baby around the head. Very sad. Dog was put down.
No doubt about it...

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 07:30:38 PM »
Right before I even read your post I copied this so I could paste it:

a two-and-a-half year old female rottweiler, which the family had owned for about six months.

The fact that it was a rottweiler is irrelevant.

Thats what I was trying to say

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 08:24:01 PM »
Thats what I was trying to say

I know, it is just amazing we thought the exact same thing.

What is wrong with people.

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 10:54:02 PM »
Well its not irrelevant any dog can be tamed/seem good natured but theres some breeds which are more inclined to do such things, but yeah where the fuck were the parents .. sigh.

body88

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 08:32:27 AM »
Well its not irrelevant any dog can be tamed/seem good natured but theres some breeds which are more inclined to do such things, but yeah where the fuck were the parents .. sigh.

Not really. Rots are working dogs mainly used for protection/guarding work these days. A very loyal and protective dog towards its owners. The fact the dog was only in the home for six months , and probably not properly trained/socialized to begin with is why the dog harmed the child. Anyone who leaves a infant and seven year old child alone with a full grown powerful dog is a total bafoon. That alone tells me the owners had no idea how to properly handle a rot.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 01:16:54 PM »

I bet it had been recently vaccinated, possibly with rabies and a combo shot.

:)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 06:27:14 PM »
Not really. Rots are working dogs mainly used for protection/guarding work these days. A very loyal and protective dog towards its owners. The fact the dog was only in the home for six months , and probably not properly trained/socialized to begin with is why the dog harmed the child. Anyone who leaves a infant and seven year old child alone with a full grown powerful dog is a total bafoon. That alone tells me the owners had no idea how to properly handle a rot.

Well, Rotties were bred with the initial intention of protecting & herding animals.  In a sense...it's in their nature to guard & protect.....but hell....thats most dogs anyways. 

Because of their size, they were versatile for herding larger animals & fending off wolves, other dogs, & people from stealing the herd.

I personally am not sure about them being great 'alarm' dogs...because ours barely barks.  He stares alot & is what I refer to nickname 'quiet man'.  My Lab growled & barked a hell of alot more than this Rottie. 

What is funny though....he likes to lean on you.  When you're just standing there...he'll walk up next to you & lean on you.  I guess it's his natural part of herding instinct....or he's just tired & wants for me to hold him up.