Author Topic: trying to get a thicker back...  (Read 3185 times)

Emmortal

• Getbig V
Re: trying to get a thicker back...
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 02:17:36 PM »
I always do lat pulldowns from the front, down the chest.  I do the same with wide grip pull ups, come up to the front of the chest.

David Puddy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • All signs point to YES!
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 12:23:03 AM »
I always do lat pulldowns from the front, down the chest.  I do the same with wide grip pull ups, come up to the front of the chest.

Doesn't make any difference. Wasting your time.
Talk to me babay.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 11:35:24 AM »
Doesn't make any difference. Wasting your time.

Your post makes zero sense, go play in the G&O section, gimmick.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 03:32:43 PM »
i feel that its your arms that take over to finish that movement.

I think you should look at your grip and how to do the movement then what movement to do. I've learned to use your arms as hooks and not just grip it. in other words, don't wrap  your thumbs around the bar. you have to feel the back working.

one movement to avoid is the yates row/ underhand grip. b/c it does more bad then good. bad b/c its easy to tear your bicep. i does work the lower lats but, you should do an underhand movement on a safer  movement like sea=ted rows or pull downs

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 06:13:33 PM »
I think you should look at your grip and how to do the movement then what movement to do. I've learned to use your arms as hooks and not just grip it. in other words, don't wrap  your thumbs around the bar. you have to feel the back working.

That's how I always do it, use my arms as hooks and have no problem finishing the movement with my lats with a nice squeeze at the contraction point.  I will agree it is easy to use your arms a lot when you are starting out, but not really difficult once you've been doing it a while.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 11:54:52 AM »
all the exersizes mentioned are good back thickness exersizes but ill add a few.  palms facing up chin ups hit the lower lats and back thickness if u pull with your whole back not just your lats. incline dumbell rows  dumbells vertical work the back thickness well and u dont need alot of wieght 80 pounders 10-12 would be alot.  also on v-handle pull downs the problem like yates said is that when guys work there lats they dont think they are working there back also. when u pull down let your lats stretch pulling all the way down till your squeezing your back and lats. seated v-handle cable rows is also awsome.  t-bar rows with a v-handle done with good form. i see this exersize abused to much people are asking for a bicep injury.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 05:02:28 AM »
all the exersizes mentioned are good back thickness exersizes but ill add a few.  palms facing up chin ups hit the lower lats and back thickness if u pull with your whole back not just your lats. incline dumbell rows  dumbells vertical work the back thickness well and u dont need alot of wieght 80 pounders 10-12 would be alot.  also on v-handle pull downs the problem like yates said is that when guys work there lats they dont think they are working there back also. when u pull down let your lats stretch pulling all the way down till your squeezing your back and lats. seated v-handle cable rows is also awsome.  t-bar rows with a v-handle done with good form. i see this exersize abused to much people are asking for a bicep injury.

what are these??

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 08:41:31 AM »
Those are wear you lay chest down on an incline and DB row.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 08:43:09 AM »
oh ok i got it...those are good moves?? ive never seen or heard of them...good for thickness?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 10:45:39 AM »
oh ok i got it...those are good moves?? ive never seen or heard of them...good for thickness?

As what I hear and experience, incline dumbbell rows are good for middle back thickness. I try to bring the dumbells as far up as possible and squeeze my back together as hard as I could.

What I found good for back thickness is barbell rows (Yates style).
X

David Puddy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • All signs point to YES!
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2008, 06:04:50 PM »
Is you back now ticker?
Talk to me babay.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2008, 06:17:11 PM »
As what I hear and experience, incline dumbbell rows are good for middle back thickness. I try to bring the dumbells as far up as possible and squeeze my back together as hard as I could.

What I found good for back thickness is barbell rows (Yates style).

I like to use straps on the DB's to totally remove the arms from the move to really get the back working, helps me quite a bit.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 06:31:49 PM »
DEADLIFTS.

that was easy

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2008, 06:35:51 PM »
if you've ever found yourself trying to "control" the weight and "squeeze" at the top of your rows, that's your problem. use some body english, get heavy weights moving. you can worry about "thinking the muscle" into the weight when you do your vertical pulling, when you're pulling horizontally, ESPECIALLY with a barbell, your goal should be to get that bar from below your knees to your stomach somewhere between the navel and the sternum.

and don't worry about "removing the arms", either. the more muscles you have firing, the more focus you're putting on moving the weight. so what if your biceps are involved? it just means that instead of using 245 you'll use 275, your back is still working at maximum capacity.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 07:59:53 AM »
BB rows....i also do one arm t-bars, only b/c i ran out of DB weight in my gym. I do it like DB row, its good b/c unlike DB that can be pulled to chest or waist, this always goes to same place.

T-bar rows are great, as are deadlifts.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah