Author Topic: Obesity caused by genetics?  (Read 2351 times)

tweeter

• Getbig IV
Obesity caused by genetics?
« on: January 05, 2008, 06:20:23 PM »
I was just talking to one of my friends whose mom is fairly fat, possibly obese. He said that he was asking her why she doesn't loose weight, and she told him that fat people cannot help being fat because it is due a flaw in their genetics. She said that there is a gene that doctors have not actually discovered yet but it is referred to as the "starvation gene". People that have this gene apparently cannot help being fat because the gene tricks their bodies into thinking they are starving. Because the body thinks it is starving, it stores up fat to protect itself. However, whenever I have been around his mom I notice that she is usually stuffing her face with rolls, donuts, fried chicken, cake, etc. ::) What do you guys think about this theory (I think she might have heard about it on a talk show or something)?

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
Re: Obesity caused by genetics?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 06:22:38 PM »
Funny how so many of these obesity gene owners live in America.
O

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 06:23:36 PM »
I think what you are referring to is technically called the "lack of willpower" gene

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 06:24:14 PM »
Shit, so the bag of doritos I'm shoveling down my fat throat has nothing to do with me being fat then?...........It's all my fathers fault?

tweeter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 06:25:43 PM »
Funny how so many of these obesity gene owners live in America.
haha, how did you guess I am from the US?

tweeter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 06:26:45 PM »
Shit, so the bag of doritos I'm shoveling down my fat throat has nothing to do with me being fat then?...........It's all my fathers fault?
Exactly, I guess they figure there is no point in trying since their genetics cause them to be fat anyway. I told him to ask her if she thought she would lose weight if she were on a deserted island with no food for a couple months.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 06:28:32 PM »
She said that there is a gene that doctors have not actually discovered yet but it is referred to as the "starvation gene".

Does this gene then also allow the fattys to see in to the future and see undisovered genes?

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 06:31:11 PM »
I heard spider bite can cause a person to be a obese stinky slob also.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 06:31:39 PM »
Most bodybuilders, wanna-be bodybuilders, powerlifters etc are overweight. At least 90% of the time.
Z

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 06:36:19 PM »

Fast food is a mean cause of obese people.

In the (early) 1900's many people were skinny/fit. There was no fast food then...

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 06:44:02 PM »

Fast food is a mean cause of obese people.

Cruel even..
O

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 06:51:31 PM »
I've got a couple friends who are fat. And yeah they eat not so great, but they ARE able to gain weight easier due to their genetics. Im not sayin they couldn't lose the weight if they dieted properly, they definatly could. But genetics do play a factor in fatassness to an extent. Many poeple can eat like pigs and be twigs, others get damn fat. My fattest friend in highschool, prolly the fattest kid in highschool finally turned his life around and started eating right. He lost like 70 lbs. Even now he'd still be considered fat, or slightly fat, but thats with him eating well and not pigging out ever, as well as lots of cardio. Some people get the shit end of the stick.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 06:56:17 PM »
Some fat people have a tougher time losing weight, but that "starvation gene" is one sorry cop out.
It's funny, every time I meet someone from another country, they can't get over at how many fat Americans there are..hhaah  Our country definitely has it's share of morons and obese fat bodies. ;)
Personally, I can care less if someone is fat.  When I was younger @10, I remember simply hating fat people.  I used to have some friends who were fat and would rank on them all the time..ahahaha  Probably because there is a stigma attached to being overweight...lazy, slob, etc.  Makes sense somewhat though.  If a person is happy with themselves, that's great...but there is nothing worse than the one who loses the same 15lbs over and over, and wonders why she's always right back where she started.
America and their "dieting" bullshit..hahah  Pathetic.  Change your lifestyle or stfu!
I'd bet, if you put me into a dozen different fat bodies, I'd lose whatever amount of weight within a year.  It's consistency and discipline.  These people expect major results in a month, meanwhile, it took them 10 years to become that fat.  ::)
N

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 06:56:29 PM »
In the (early) 1900's many people were skinny/fit. There was no fast food then...

How can you tell from that pic?  Everyone is wearing a jacket.
Ron: "I am lazy."

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 06:57:51 PM »
I was just talking to one of my friends whose mom is fairly fat, possibly obese.

Is your friend fat?  If not, that in itself is proof his mom is full of shit.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 07:02:06 PM »
Some fat people have a tougher time losing weight, but that "starvation gene" is one sorry cop out.
It's funny, every time I meet someone from another country, they can't get over at how many fat Americans there are..hhaah  Our country definitely has it's share of morons and obese fat bodies. ;)
Personally, I can care less if someone is fat.  When I was younger @10, I remember simply hating fat people.  I used to have some friends who were fat and would rank on them all the time..ahahaha  Probably because there is a stigma attached to being overweight...lazy, slob, etc.  Makes sense somewhat though.  If a person is happy with themselves, that's great...but there is nothing worse than the one who loses the same 15lbs over and over, and wonders why she's always right back where she started.
America and their "dieting" bullshit..hahah  Pathetic.  Change your lifestyle or stfu!
I'd bet, if you put me into a dozen different fat bodies, I'd lose whatever amount of weight within a year.  It's consistency and discipline.  These people expect major results in a month, meanwhile, it took them 10 years to become that fat.  ::)

Most poeple just dont know HOW the fuck to lose weight, people dont understand that they burn a set amount of calories per day, they dont understand if they eat 500 less per day they would lose a pound a week, they dont understand that simply eating "Healthily" wont lose them weight.They dont understand muscle isnt built in the gym while they exercise, they dont understand you cant spot reduce fat,etc etc etc

tweeter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 07:05:23 PM »
Most poeple just dont know HOW the fuck to lose weight, people dont understand that they burn a set amount of calories per day, they dont understand if they eat 500 less per day they would lose a pound a week, they dont understand that simply eating "Healthily" wont lose them weight.They dont understand muscle isnt built in the gym while they exercise, they dont understand you cant spot reduce fat,etc etc etc
Exactly...good post. People dont seem to understand that if they eat less calories than they burn, they will lose weight...no matter what!

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 07:29:18 PM »
the only excuse I buy regarding genetics are people with thyroid issues

being fat is usualy caused by ignorance or weakness

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 07:37:38 PM »
I was just talking to one of my friends whose mom is fairly fat, possibly obese. 

He said that he was asking her why she doesn't loose weight, and she told him that fat people cannot help being fat because it is due a flaw in their genetics. Bullshit.

She said that there is a gene that doctors have not actually discovered yet but it is referred to as the "starvation gene". Good thing she knows about a gene that hasn't been discovered.  Maybe they should check her for the delusional gene.

People that have this gene apparently cannot help being fat because the gene tricks their bodies into thinking they are starving. Ask him if she looked into her crystal ball for that tip. 

Because the body thinks it is starving, it stores up fat to protect itself.  Nope, just what happens when people with slow metabolisms gorge on shit all day or eat few meals consisting of crap food which gets stored as BF

However, whenever I have been around his mom I notice that she is usually stuffing her face with rolls, donuts, fried chicken, cake, etc. ::) There you go.

What do you guys think about this theory (I think she might have heard about it on a talk show or something)? I think it's just another fatty who can't control her eating and is blaming something else beside her lack of self control.
Squishy face retard

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 07:44:20 PM »
Many poeple can eat like pigs and be twigs, others get damn fat.
Well, not really. Calorie expenditure doesn't differ that much between individuals. The twinks who can eat whatever they like and not gain weight do not eat as many calories as they think on a consistent basis. Same with fat people, they may think they don't eat more than some skinny people they know but they would be wrong. Self reporting of calorie intake is notoriously unreliable. Someone posted a thread here recently where some fat people thought they were consuming 3000 calories when in reality it was 13000.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »

Their lack of willpower (as well as their ignorance) is sickening!  >:(

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 07:53:06 PM »
oh brother  ::)

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 07:54:19 PM »
the only excuse I buy regarding genetics are people with thyroid issues

being fat is usualy caused by ignorance or weakness
If I had a dollar for everytime a fatbody told me, they had a "thyroid" problem. ::)
A underactive thyroid is rare in society, but you'd think it applies to 80% of fatbodies.  Usually, just another cop out.  I'm waiting for the day when someone overweight tells me, "I'm just too lazy to lose the weight."  Whenever this "losing weight" coversation crosses my path, I basically make them admit to being to lazy...plain and simple.  It's beautiful. ;D
N

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 07:58:43 PM »
Whilst very few can build muscle well, anyone can drop weight. Just look at the Ausschwitz victims.  :-\
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 08:00:20 PM »
Though getbig standards are different. To a getbigger, anything over 10% is fat but that is not the societal standard.
I hate the State.