Author Topic: You're Not Going To Believe This, But...  (Read 2489 times)

Alex23

You're Not Going To Believe This, But...
« on: January 05, 2008, 09:19:42 PM »
Although it's rarely addressed, the standard curl doesn't directly affect the biceps -- at least that's the case with some people. It all comes down to your anatomical make-up. For an unlucky bunch, the main contributor is the brachialis muscle, which runs underneath the outer part of the biceps. That's the muscle most responsible for drawing the hand toward the shoulder. Naturally, as the resistance is increased, the muscle fibers of the biceps come into play, which is why heavy curling will increase biceps size.

Simple, right? Maybe not. Since everyone's point of insertion is different, for some, the brachialis may absorb the majority of stress, thus, the biceps function becomes limited. In other words, the biceps will only receive as much stress as the brachialis will allow.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Re: You're Not Going To Believe This, But...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:32:17 PM »
I think a good solution to that is to use a straight bar instead of a curl bar. When using db's try to curl up while turning your wrists in towards your biceps- can try this on the high pulley curl also; you will feel an intense contraction instantly  8)

Extra tips: use hands as hooks only, imagine like you're pulling from your wrists only. apply this to isolation exercises especially  ;)
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 09:34:23 PM »
Extra tip #2,,,,,can also use DRAG curls,,very intense bicep contraction,,,can use straight or EX curl bar, curl up so that the bar moves alongside the body. This means the elbows needs to be pulled back,,,,not up for you crazy amreekans,,,,cuz that will work the shoulders more,,,more tips from the champ later.
follow the arrows

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:33:42 PM »
Extra tip #2,,,,,can also use DRAG curls,,very intense bicep contraction,,,can use straight or EX curl bar, curl up so that the bar moves alongside the body. This means the elbows needs to be pulled back,,,,not up for you crazy amreekans,,,,cuz that will work the shoulders more,,,more tips from the champ later.
Haiter,,,,,you do this,,,,,,,crazy shit,,,,,just like gh15,,,,,,wussupwitdat,,,?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 01:05:55 AM »

Drag curls are awesome.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 07:32:21 AM »
1.- Use a wide variety of exercies.

2.- When doing any kind of dumbell curl,supinate the wrist and try to turn the dumbell at the top of the movement so your pinkie finger is higher than your thumb.

3.- Incline Dumbell Curls

4.- Hold and squeeze the biceps while in the contracted position.

All of these ideas may force you to use a bit lighter weight,but will activate the biceps strongly.

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 03:52:25 PM »
I think a good solution to that is to use a straight bar instead of a curl bar. When using db's try to curl up while turning your wrists in towards your biceps- can try this on the high pulley curl also; you will feel an intense contraction instantly  8)

Extra tips: use hands as hooks only, imagine like you're pulling from your wrists only. apply this to isolation exercises especially  ;)
Owner f my gym had me implement this in to my bi routine and I'm really feeling a difference in the cotraction.
Good advice

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 05:56:04 AM »

I do em all the time, never with a straight bar cause I think this will eventually end up hurting my wrists.....great movement and it's easier on the lower back than standard curls.
nasser=piece of shit

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 08:16:22 AM »
I believe it. Also believe that the reverse BB curl hits the  the under lining brachialis muscle group(s) much better than the regular BB curl does. Reverse BB curls are another forgotten exercise that few folks do any more. Should be a stable for most arm programs. Most people think of it as only a forearm builder.

Wes wisely suggest incline DB curls, one of the better full function bicep movements. The biceps is used as a twisting action, not only as a pulling action. Place a forearm at a 90 degree angle in front of you, with the thumb pointing down. Now twist the wrist until the thumb is pointing out (away from the body) as far as it will go. All the while having the free hand on the active bicep. You can feel the complete function of the bicep it's self from start to finish. Curl that way when on the Incline bench. Also on the Incline bench, keep the back on the head on it though out the movement. You want to keep the anterior delts out of the movement as much as possible.

Another version of Incline curling is with a BB. Starting with the bar resting on the thighs, curl up to the upper chest/chin. All the while trying to keep the elbows high up as possible. Never had, but you could probably do a version of a drag curl on the Incline also. Neither is what would be considered a full function bicep builder. But than again, neither is the cheat BB curl, which has added inches to many men's arms over the years.

Muscle inserts, bone length & body mechanics aside, I think that a simple thing like changing one's grip/hand spacing on the regular BB curl can do wonders for some people. As using a very narrow grip and supporting the elbows against the abs while curling. Or placing the grip as near the inside collars and curling that way.  using  the three grips position in a bicep workout has merit. Narrow, middle and wide curling grips. Usually for two sets each griping position. Have also seen this very well when doing a BP & BB rowing workout.

A straight bar or a E-Z bar usually will depend on the individual person and how they respond to each. Can not really say that one is better than the other for building bicep muscle mass (but I would prefer an Olympic style E-Z bar, not the exercise bar type). You have to select which works best for you.

Than there is the Preacher bench (the real one...Gironda original) as another way to build the biceps. Either BB or DB use. For the most part, I would venture to say that most people use this great aid to building bicep mass incorrectly. Too bad, lots of potential with this handy devise for bicep size. Good Luck.

Side Bar: I have not done any direct arm (bicep/tricep) exercises in many years. My view is that most folks worry too much about the arms and spend too much time and effort on them. Do the Big Boy exercises (squats, cleans, dips/chins (weighted), cleans, etc) and the arms should tend to follow through with increase size and power. If not, that throw in a couple sets of cheat BB curls or DB alternate curls at the end of a normal workout.
F

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 07:26:38 PM »

Side Bar: I have not done any direct arm (bicep/tricep) exercises in many years. My view is that most folks worry too much about the arms and spend too much time and effort on them. Do the Big Boy exercises (squats, cleans, dips/chins (weighted), cleans, etc) and the arms should tend to follow through with increase size and power. If not, that throw in a couple sets of cheat BB curls or DB alternate curls at the end of a normal workout.

I have to agree with this.

As empty as paradise

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 02:37:49 PM »
Wes wisely suggest incline DB curls, one of the better full function bicep movements. The biceps is used as a twisting action, not only as a pulling action. Place a forearm at a 90 degree angle in front of you, with the thumb pointing down. Now twist the wrist until the thumb is pointing out (away from the body) as far as it will go. All the while having the free hand on the active bicep. You can feel the complete function of the bicep it's self from start to finish. Curl that way when on the Incline bench. Also on the Incline bench, keep the back on the head on it though out the movement. You want to keep the anterior delts out of the movement as much as possible.

The twisting wrist curl is known as the Zottman Curl, couple with the incline DB curls (palms facing up top to bottom) were Arnolds favorite bicep builders.

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 01:15:08 AM »
I find  that with any curling exercise my i only need to do 1/2 reps because my biceps are fully contracted when my forearms are just above parallel to the ground due to short bellies of muscle, that and close-grip pulldowns are fking awesome.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 05:22:34 AM »
Tombo reminded me of close grip underhand chins.....another great biceps exercise to try out.